La Vie En Rosa

The Music in Your Head

A few days after his small encounter with the dancer in the alley, Himchan found himself in a music shop absently shuffling through records. He couldn't get the image of the mysterious man out of his head. The way he moved with such ease was burned into Himchan's brain.

With his mind so preoccupied he almost didn't notice the boy standing next to him was his waiter the last time he had been to the café, until the boy spoke. "They always have some interesting stuff here, don't they? Lot’s of really old stuff.” The boy wore a warm smile.

“Yeah. I come here all the time. It’s a nice place.” Himchan returned the smile. “I’m sorry but I don’t remember your name.”

“Junhong.”

“Himchan. How old are you?”

“I was born in 96. I look older than I am.”

Himchan nodded and was about to go back to looking at the records when he again thought of the dancer in the alley. It wouldn’t hurt to ask Junhong if he knew the guy. “Hey… are you close with your co-workers?”

Junhong raised an eyebrow. “A few of them. Why do you ask?”

“I just had a weird encounter with someone you work with.”

“Oh are you talking about when Jongup dumped an iced Americano in your lap?” Junhong smiled down as he flipped through a stack of records. “He almost died of embarrassment from that. He’s not usually clumsy like that.”

“I forgot that was even at that café. No, actually it was a few days ago. When I was leaving I heard someone playing music in the alley, but I think my friend scared him. He took off back inside as soon as he saw us.”

“Ah that explains a lot.” Himchan quirked an eyebrow. “That was Jongup again. He was really freaked out when he came back in, but wouldn’t tell us why. He’s been trying to avoid you since the Americano incident.”

“Hmm…” Himchan browsed a little longer and casually chatted with Junhong, before selecting some French jazz record. He bid Junhong farewell and hurried home so he could listen to his new record.


“So you spilled a coffee on him a few months ago, and then he saw you dancing in an alley, and your solution is to never leave your room ever again.” Jongup had cocooned himself on his bed, while his roommate, Youngjae sat next to him.

“Every time I see him I feel like my bones become jelly and I feel all hot and I can’t focus…”

“Sounds like a crush. That’s so cute~”

Jongup groaned and pulled the blankets closer around himself. “Shut up. It’s not a crush. I embarrassed myself the first time I had ever met him and I don’t even know his name.”

“His name is Himchan.” Junhong practically slammed the door to Jongup’s bedroom into the wall. “He works as a bartender and musician at a club not far from here. He enjoys old records and traditional music, which he studied in school.”

Jongup peeked out from under his piles of blankets. “How do you know all that?”

“Because we go to the same record store apparently. I saw him there today and had a nice chat with him. He’s a really nice guy. He didn’t even remember that you were the one who spilled coffee on him until I reminded him.”

“You reminded him?!” Jongup groaned again and hid himself back under the blankets.

“Great now he definitely isn’t going to come out with me tonight, and I said I would have someone for my date’s friend.”

“You have a date tonight? With who?”

“No one you know. I met him the other day at the book store. He wouldn’t shut up until I agreed to go out with him one night.”

“Take Junhong.”

“No way. He said his friend was similar to his height, and liked shorter people.” Youngjae poked at the lump of blankets. “Please, please, please go with me! I’ll buy you whatever manga you want if you just get out of bed and go with me tonight.”

“Fine. I’ll go.” Youngjae practically squeaked with excitement.


“Hyung, come on! You’ve listened to that song a billion times since you got home, and we need to go. We’re meeting them in like 20 minutes!” Daehyun was rushing around the apartment. “Have you seen my wallet?!”

Himchan turned the record player off and walked out of his room. He grabbed Daehyun’s wallet off of the side table and walked into the kitchen he had just disappeared into. “What’s with you? You’re acting like a teenager going on their first date.” He handed the wallet to his friend and pulled his keys off the hook they were hanging on. “We’re meeting at the bar I work at for drinks. It’s not that big of a deal. You need to chill or you’ll scare the guy off.”

“Okay. Okay.” Daehyun took a deep breath. “Did you call the cab?”

“Yes. It should be downstairs, so let’s go.” Himchan started to push Daehyun out the door, while humming the song he had just been listening to. It was such a peaceful melody. He made a mental note to look up the translated lyrics when he got home.


“What are you humming?” Youngjae eyed Jongup as they sat in the back of a cab together. “I feel like I’ve heard it before.”

“I’m not sure. It just popped in my head. I think it’s jazz.”

“Since when do you listen to jazz?”

Jongup just shrugged. He figured he had heard it in the café playing in the background or something. It wasn’t that unusual for his boss to play some quiet music every now and then.

Jongup tried his best not to fidget. The closer they got to the club they were meeting Youngjae’s date at the more nervous he got. He wasn’t entirely sure why he was so nervous. He was just there as support, right?