Beautiful People

The Music in Your Head

                Himchan and Daehyun sat across from each other in a small café in the middle of Seoul. Daehyun was chattering on about the guy he had met at the book store the day before and Himchan was trying his best to look like he was paying attention to his friend. It became increasingly difficult as time went on and his mind started to wander to music as it regularly did. Himchan lost focus entirely when a melody popped into his head. One he recognized but couldn’t put a name to.

                “Hyung, are you listening to me?” Daehyun pouted out his lip.

                “Hmm? Yeah. Cat eyes and fluffy cheeks…” Himchan took a swig of his coffee.

                “I said that like 20 minutes ago. You weren’t listening!”

                Himchan ran a hand through his hair and gave Daehyun a sheepish grin. “Sorry, Dae. I was trying to figure out a song. It’s stuck in my head but I can’t remember the name of it.”

                “Do you know the lyrics?”

                “No. I can only think of the melody. It’s driving me crazy.”

                “Weird.” Daehyun went straight back into talking about what he had been, but Himchan didn’t bother pretending to pay attention anymore. He was too busy racking his brain to figure out what song he was thinking of.


                “Junhong, can you take table 5 for me?” Jongup had pulled his friend into the kitchen in desperation.

                “Why? We’re not even busy right now. What is so-” Junhong peeked through the small window in the kitchen door to inspect table 5. Understanding washed over him as he looked at the dark haired man who was lazily looking through the menu while his friend was rambling on about something. “Ah, he’s back.”

                “Please take the table. I can’t face him after the last time. I looked like such an idiot.” Jongup grabbed Junhong’s hands and looked up into his friends eyes with his best puppy expression. “I’ll clean everything tonight if you just take this table for me.”

                Junhong took a deep breath. “Alright. I’ll take it, but only this one time. You need to buck up, hyung.”

                “Thank you so much!” Junhong turned to leave but Jongup grabbed his arm. “Um… could I borrow your phone?”

                “Need to dance it out again?” Jongup nodded. “Fine, but you seriously owe me.”

                Junhong handed over his phone and left the kitchen. Jongup peeked out long enough to see him greet the 2 men at the table. The dark haired man smiled and it nearly took Jongup’s breath away. His heart was beating fast as the adrenaline rushed through him. He clutched the phone to his chest and ducked back under the window.

                “You ok, Jongup?” Jongup jumped a little at the deep voice, but spun to see that it was just the cook, Yongguk.

                “Yes, hyung. I’m fine. I’m just taking a little break. I’m going to step out for a bit.” Yongguk only nodded and went back to his station.

Jongup slipped out the side door that lead into the alley next to the café. He estimated that he had about half an hour to kill before the dark haired man would leave. He flipped through Junhong’s music until he found the song that the two had been working on a routine for, Chris Brown’s “Beautiful People.”


Himchan and Daehyun stepped out of the café into the warm evening. Himchan had just turned to give his friend a hug and say goodbye when that same melody drifted to his ears from somewhere nearby. “Hold on.” Himchan lightly shoved away from Daehyun who protested loudly, but was completely ignored.

Himchan rounded the corner into the alley where he was met with something he had not expected. A waiter from the café (he could tell it was a waiter by the uniform) was dancing alone in the alleyway. Himchan stood mesmerized by the way the man moved. He was in total control of every muscles as he flowed along with the music.

“Hyung! What are you doing?” Daehyun rushed up to Himchan’s side. The dancer’s head snapped up at the sound of Daehyun’s voice. He looked like a deer caught in headlights as he stared at the pair at the alley’s entrance.

Before Himchan could say anything the dancer darted through a side door and disappeared. Himchan turned to glare at Daehyun. “Now you’ve done it. You probably gave that poor boy a heart attack with that loud mouth of yours!” Himchan shoved Daehyun once more.

“Yah! Quit pushing me and I wouldn’t yell!” Daehyun shoved Himchan so hard he had to brace himself against the wall.

“You’re such a child!”

“Look who’s talking!”


Jongup leaned against the door holding his chest. It felt like his heart was about to rip out of his throat. He could feel his stomach turning in knots. His vision was going fuzzy around the edges.

How long had he been standing there watching him? Why was he just standing there watching him? What was he thinking? Jongup tried to swallow back the bile that was threatening to come up as he thought about the dark haired man.

“Jongup? You look like you’re going to be sick or something.” Yongguk was watching from behind the stove.

Oh no. Here it comes.

Jongup barely had time to run to the trash can before he was expelling the contents of his stomach into it.