soojung and jinri

when the lights come on i'll be ready for this

 

 

 

There was an uncomfortable silence enveloping both girls. Soojung had yet to look up. Jinri had yet to talk. “Are you coming back?” Soojung finally asked in a small voice as she played with the hem of the tablecloth. “No.” Jinri responded and they went back to the uncomfortable silence. That is until Jinri reached across the small table to grab Soojung’s hands. Soojung looked up. “I am sorry, for everything, Soojung. I am truly sorry. I know I did this to you, I do this to everybody, but none of the things I ever say are true. I’m a liar Soojung; I’m a really good one too! Hell, I’m able to lie to myself about my own ing relationship, I’m that good.” Both girls had tears in their eyes and Jinri gripped Soojung’s hand harder. “I can’t say that I didn’t mean to hurt you, because at the time I did. I’ve always envied you, Soojung, and watching you get everything I have ever wanted made me want to shatter you into tiny pieces. So I said things. But you can’t trust a broken thing. And Soojung I am broken; I don’t work quite right. I probably never will and I’ll end up alone somewhere. You, however, are not broken and you are definitely not alone. You have never been alone. You are Soojung and you are Krystal and you are here and you are spectacular. I wish I could take back everything I have done to you, but I can only apologize now.” Neither one spoke. They just stared at each other, tears sliding down both of their faces and hands tightly locked. “I forgive you,” said Soojung because she would always forgive Jinri. “But I need you to stay out of my life for now.” Jinri nodded and their hands let go. Both of them wiped away their tears and the silence returned.

Soojung stood up and gave Jinri a small smile.

Jinri watched Soojung walk away.