Chapter 3

What I Never Told You

When Jungkook woke the next morning, his legs and chest ached. His cheeks felt clammy from the unwashed tear stains. He hoped Taehyung hadn’t started panicking yet - Jungkook was going to send him an email with an explanation. But first, he needed to talk to his mother.

 

Jungkook slowly rolled out of bed, taking time to gather his bearings as he went. He squeezed the fuzzy carpet next to the bed between his toes. Taking in his surroundings, he realized the room had barely changed in two years. His old posters still hung on the wall, the old pictures still sat on the desk. Stumbling to his backpack, Jungkook pulled out his phone and brought up his email. He took his time writing the email, thinking through each sentence carefully.

 

Dear Taehyung,

I’m so sorry for disappearing. I hope I didn’t worry you too much.

I’m back living with my mother.

After discussing options with her, she supports my decision to change schools.

As soon as I finish registration, I’ll be going to Kyungsung University.

It’s early enough in the semester to still get in.

 

I understand if you are mad; please don’t hold this against me.

I can still see you again when you come home!

And now you get a room to yourself, am I right?

 

I love you a lot, okay? Take care of yourself for me.

 

Love, Jungkook

 

After rereading the email several times, Jungkook hit send and padded out the door to the bathroom.

 

                                                                                                                                                               ***

 

The rest of the house was exactly as Jungkook had remembered it. The light blue walls, the lacy white curtains. His mother’s favorite decorative pillows on the couch.

 

In the kitchen sat the mother and son, eating a simple breakfast as Jungkook poured out the whole story. Eomma nodded now and then as she listened, showing neither approval nor disapproval. Jungkook felt many emotions as he spoke, the final one being relief. Talking helped him to understand his own feelings.

 

Although Eomma seemed to at least slightly disapprove of his rash decisions, she welcomed him home. Kyungsung University was only 10 minutes away - an easy walk from home. Jungkook could continue to major in Astronomy there, while still living at home.

Now they just needed to start the application.