Chapter Six

'X'
CHAPTER SIX

“Puppy, you’re going to get wet. C’mere” Minseok opens up his umbrella and chases Baekhyun who was already happily sauntering to the café across the street.

 

The bleak greys skies were pouring heavy drops of rain and Baekhyun loved every moment of it. He looks up to the clouds and closes his eyes relishing the cold icy sting each tear the clouds showered him. Baekhyun loved the rain, there was just something that washes calmness over him that he didn’t care whether he’ll get drenched or sick after.

 

Minseok however, was furious. He tugs Baekhyun into an embrace under his umbrella and growls when he meets his smiling face. “Look at you, you’re soaking wet!”

 

“It’s just rain Minseok, it’s not acid” Baekhyun wraps his arms tighter around Minseok cooing in his warmth.

 

“I don’t want you to get sick” he huffs a worried sigh and pulls Baekhyun closer to share what little warmth and shelter from the rain he could provide him.

 

“You told me you’re going to take care of me when I get sick, right?” Baekhyun nuzzles his cheeks on Minseok’s neck and smiles happily. “Then I’d gladly get sick”

 

Minseok chuckles. “Silly pup”

 

“Umbrellas are for children. Real men run in the rain” at the mention of it, Baekhyun breaks free from Minseok’s arms and runs across the street with a taunting expression.

 

Helpless on how childish and active his lover was, Minseok kept his pace slow with an amused face until he reached the café door where Baekhyun had already picked out a table for them. He took a seat across him until a waiter came with their orders.

 

The café was serene, save for the jazz music playing to lighten up the dim atmosphere moreover from the rain that made the place gloomier than it usually was.

 

Tranquil in eating his toast, he almost choked when Baekhyun muttered out the following words, “Last night was amazing”

 

Minseok pounded his chest trying to cough out the toast stuck in his throat, completely astonished to his lover’s sudden praise. He covered his mouth and let the redness of his face speak on behalf of his embarrassment and shock.

 

“Let’s do that again” Baekhyun sing-songs sipping on his coffee.

 

“Shhh. Stop blurting it out in public like that!” he kept his voice low not wanting to attract more attention from the waitress who had stiffened in her place – she probably heard Baekhyun’s remark.

 

Baekhyun rests a palm under his chin curling his lips. “I love you Kim Minseok”

 

“I told you not to run in the rain. Now I think you’re really sick”

 

“I like it when you’re flustered. It’s adorable”

 

Oh how Minseok wanted to dig out the ring from his pockets. Just staring at Baekhyun and hearing him say these words were weakening him. How he wanted to see him look flustered himself when he goes down on his knees, the ring in his hands and finally, finally ask him to share a life with him.

 

Time’s ticking.

 

That morning he woke up sprawled with Baekhyun in the living room, Minseok just stared up into the ceiling envisioning a future as if he could see it with his own eyes right before him. When they shared a night together, Minseok felt like he was flying, felt like he was in heaven and every second he spent it with Baekhyun…he was alive. Every kiss, every breath they shared breathed life into him.

 

Time was ticking he told himself, and he wanted nothing more than to spend even just a little bit of quality time with Baekhyun.  So, that morning, Minseok called Junmyeon up and transferred some files through their database.

 

“Wh-why are you giving me the formulas for The Cure?” Junmyeon hesitates, his eyes widening at the extraordinary data he received – Minseok always overwhelms him with his genius.

 

“Junmyeon, you were right. Time’s ticking and I would want to spend my remaining time while I’m strong with Baekhyun” he said through his watch emanating Junmyeon’s face from the hologram.

 

“Are you going to tell him?”

 

A sad, struggling smile; a confirmation. “You said two is better than one. So, I want to implore you Junmyeon”

 

“What is it?” from the hologram, Junmyeon asks.

 

Minseok takes a quick glance at the polaroid photo of him and Baekhyun with the velvet box containing the engagement ring and smiles. “Please help me find the Cure, brother”

 

There was an inner debate apparent in Junmyeon’s face, a clear uncertainty. But, he accepted it. “Of course brother”

 

Time’s ticking.

 

I have to tell him.

 

As if his hands had a mind of their own, Minseok reaches Baekhyun’s warm hands wrapping his cold ones around it. Baekhyun doesn’t flinch, doesn’t dare to ask why but his face changed seeing Minseok take a deep breath and closed his eyes.

 

Minseok’s thoughts raced with alarm and danger, but there was no other choice than to tell the truth.

 

If I tell him now, there’s no going back. He lets out a sigh. If I tell him I’m sick, I’ll have to give the ring up.

 

The ring burned in his pockets.

 

Am I willing to give up his smiles if I tell him that I’m dying?

 

“Minseok?” came a soft concerned whisper from Baekhyun.

 

Minseok‘s eyes fluttered open to find Baekhyun with a confused look. He intertwines their fingers and stares at their clasped hands fighting an inner conflict in himself.

 

How do you tell someone you’re dying without hurting each other?

 

“What’s happening outside?” a waitress said halting in her place, cutting off the train of thought in Minseok’s mind about telling Baekhyun that-

 

Minseok and Baekhyun both turned their heads to look out the large glass windows of the café, amidst the strong downpour of rain, there were Robocops in a straight line guiding soaked, scruffy and ragged looking men and women through the streets. Citizens of the Capitol all cleared out from their way in disgust.

 

“Who are they?” asked one of the customers inside the café.

 

“The Rebels” Minseok stands up from his seat to approach the doors of the café.  He didn’t know why he wanted to go out and look for that Sehun boy, but he found himself reaching out to activate the sliding door and-

 

Baekhyun however, tugs him back beside him with fear crystal clear from his eyes. He steps in front of to block him from further stepping near the door and wraps his arms to bury Minseok’s eyes into the crook of his neck, not wanting him to watch the rebels marching just outside. The same rebels that had his soul knocked out of him when he heard they infiltrated Green Octagon Hospital and sent Minseok unconscious.

 

That familiar twist of fear strangled Baekhyun’s heart, moreover when Minseok’s phone began ringing and when he flipped it open, Kim Junmyeon’s name flashed across the screen.

 

“Junmyeon?” at the mere mention of his name, Baekhyun snaps at Minseok.

 

Baekhyun’s heart was racing as Minseok’s questioning face contorts into a furrow between his brows and narrowing eyes. He knew then that something was definitely not right.

 

“Junmyeon-“ Minseok would break into short words of protests, but all he could do in reality was pinch the bridge of his nose with an agitated expression and remained quiet.

 

When he finished and bid a goodbye of dismay, Baekhyun immediately grabs his hands and shakes them. “What did Junmyeon say?”

 

But his lover said nothing, only giving him an unreadable blank glance as he tucks his phone away from his seeing eyes. Baekhyun shook Minseok again, demanding an answer – or rather at this point, begging.

 

“I have to go” Minseok says flatly, his face expressionless.

 

Minseok starts on his heel, heading to the door and –

 

He stops midway, turns around to look one last time at Baekhyun’s lost expression, a silent shattering of his now stilled heart echoing in his ears.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Baekhyun takes one heavy step toward him; a silent plead. Dr. Kim Minseok gives one sad smile, clutching the ring in his pockets. He looks at his lover, his whole life flashing in his eyes, a future he dreamed overlapping and fades into suffering, Kyungsoo’s mutual sickness with him and the Court hearing for the rebel cause until it stop into Baekhyun’s face once more.

 

There was uncertainty in Minseok’s eyes. He wasn’t sure whether he was truly concerned about the Court hearing and help the People such as Sehun, or that he was…he was using this as a scapegoat and runaway from telling Baekhyun the truth.

 

He was just uncertain about everything nowadays that he himself doesn't know what to do with his life anymore. But he had left The Cure data files to Junmyeon, at least one of his tasks can be done. But why can't he at least do this one thing? Why can't he just tell Baekhyun that he - 

 

Decided, Minseok steps outside and left Baekhyun standing alone in their crumbling world.


 



AUTHOR'S NOTES:  I am so sorry for updating sooo late. A lot of drama has happened for the past year and the past month :( But I promise to double-update this! :D Thanks for the un-ending support guys T_T This means a lot to me <3