- Exposure

The Bangtan Project

12- word count 1600; warnings: PG-13 content


The next stop on the tour is LA. The boys have been there a few times before, but still there's an air of excitement when we land in the city of angels. The air is bitter cold at this time in December, making the warmth of the hotel so much more inviting. It's early morning, giving the boys a chance to unpack and get cleaned up before that night's performance. A few of the security guards go with us so we can have lunch in peace, but the crowds are heavy in LA and plenty of fans have caught on to Bangtan's location. Frustrated, the boys end up ordering food to go and taking it back to the hotel.

We all eat in Jin and J-hope's room. Taehyung and Jimin are running around in robes, smacking their hyungs with the ropes around their waists. "Ri-ah!" Jimin calls in a high voice, leaping and crashing onto the bed where I'm sitting with my food. "Can I try some?" His eyes dart to my food, tongue his lips in anticipation as he crouches on the blankets.


"You're so silly," I giggle with a roll of my eyes. "But yeah, you can try some." He takes a bite gratefully, and perhaps it's the smell of food or just a sixth sense but Jungkook peers swiftly around the corner to see what his hyung is eating. "Can I try some?" he asks in a swift plea, crawling onto the bed and blinking up at me through the fringe of his hair.

Soon enough, my lunch becomes their lunch. I don't mind too much, they need lots of food and rest for their concert. Namjoon is taking a nap on the couch, proving my point, after stating that he needed to get his energy back and relax his voice. I watch my food disappear into the mouths of the maknae line, debating if I should just go get lunch alone since the fans won't bother me. I decide to do just that, slipping out of the hotel while the group relaxes.

The streets are packed, the air thick yet frigid, heat coming only from the steaming grates along the sidewalk. The homeless find shelter on street corners, huddling for warmth, while busy walkers bustle past and avoid eye contact like the truth. I step inside a small cafe, taking a moment to glance across the menu. It feels strange to read english again, and the price difference is alarming, but I order some coffee and a sandwich anyway.

 

Settling by the window, I take a deep breath and reach for the first sip of my coffee- when my phone rings. The shrill sound breaks the atmosphere of the cafe, causing me to flinch and scramble for the offending device. “Hello?” Namjoon’s frustrated voice crackles through the speaker.

 

“Did you say anything? About us? To your students, or a friend?”

 

“What?” I answer, setting down my coffee again. “No, of course not, we agreed to keep it private.”

 

“Well, somebody must have seen us. There are all kinds of things on Twitter, the fans are talking…”

 

“Don’t worry Joonie, they’ll quiet down. You aren’t breaking any rules, you know how fans can get.”

 

This wasn’t the first time Bangtan had dealt with problems from fans. Even before I showed up, explosions of hateful posts and false rumors were a nuisance that the young idols dealt with. I know why Namjoon’s worried, of course; when idols date, some fans explode. Jealousy, heartbreak, and desire could bring  out the worst in people. I knew the feeling of daydreaming about celebrities, about imagining how it would be to spend a day with them. I couldn’t blame Bangtan’s fans for wanting the boys to be happy, but Namjoon had chosen to date. It was up to him- not them.

 

When I return to the hotel, Namjoon is sitting on the edge of his bed with a tense expression. I join him, running a soothing hand over his back and shoulders. “Don’t worry, everything will be fine-” he shakes his head before I can finish. “What if it isn’t? I mean, for years I always tried to make my fans happy while still showing them how I feel. Usually I can write my music and they love it, yeah? I love my music, we share that bond, and I’m so so grateful to every person who listens to my voice. But…” he takes a deep breath. “But if we go public, they might hate it. I love you, I want to share my happiness with my fans, and you are my happiness. The whole group feels that way, you’re one of us. I just don’t know how to balance it…”

 

I lean over and press my lips to his cheek. “You’re right, there’s a lot of love between you and the fans. And that’s why they’ll understand. They want you be happy, just like I do. If you want to stay private we can, if you want to scream from the rooftops we can do that, too. Either way, people will still love your music and support you. I promise, everything will be fine.”

 

 


 

 

The shows in LA are huge, with films and pictures of the performances all over social media. Jimin’s high notes are just as clear as ever, Jin’s freshly dyed hair the talk of the city, and all of the boys seem to be at peak condition. The only problem is the underlying tension: with all eyes on them, there is no room for mistakes.

 

As we wait to get on the plane to Miami, a new article pops up online. The headline screams out in a bold Impact font, causing just about everybody, from singer to staff, to stiffen.

 

BTS’s Leader Rap Monster Spotted with Dancer Kay Ri

Bangtan’s newest album has caught the world by storm, with tours in Asia, the US, and Europe. Many have stated that the difference between this album and previous albums is the amount of stunning choreography; courtesy of Kay Ri, an American choreographer who has worked with Bangtan several times over the last year. Recent statements by the seven members led fans to wonder what has BTS turning into “Dance Monsters” but the answer was not what ARMYs expected!

 

Group leader Kim Namjoon, commonly known as Rap Monster, seems to be getting a few dance lessons on the side. The couple has been spotted twice so far on the American tour- most groups don’t take their choreographers to every show...do they?

 

I closed out of the article with a huff, but the damage was already done. The managers and producers scramble for a way to play down the news, talking about the issue throughout the plane ride and the drive to our hotel. Jin and Yoongi whisper to each other in the van, so much so that Namjoon finally sighs, “You can say whatever it is out loud.”

 

Jin shifts uncomfortably. “It’s just...we know how most people feel about idols dating, even if we don’t have a ban. Maybe it would be best if you made a statement about it?”

 

“And say what?” Joon groans. “Yeah, ARMY, it’s true, I’m dating my choreographer, sorry to crush your dreams.”

 

Yoongi grumbles. “The truth can be tough sometimes. They’ll just have to deal with it. You can’t throw away your relationship over an article.”

 

I stay silent, guilt gnawing at me again. This was the scene I had tried to avoid since I first fell for Namjoon. With so many years still left in their careers, how could I step in the way? How could I continue our relationship knowing that it strained him? When the car stopped I slid out quietly, taking my bags into the lobby to check in alone.

 


 

 

“Ri-ah? Jagi, are you there?” I hear Namjoon’s timid voice, his long hands twisting the doorknob to no avail. Chewing my lip, I tie my bathrobe tighter and pad over to the door, opening it with a small smile. “Hey, come in,” he steps inside and kicks his shoes off, immediately pulling me into a hug. I’m not usually an emotional person, but I can feel my throat tighten.

“Why did you run off earlier? Did I say something?” His whisper comes out shakily.

 

“No, not at all, I was just upset about the article. I don’t want to cau- cause problems for you. You worked so hard to get here, this is your dream, I can’t-” His plush lips stop mine from speaking, moving against me tenderly. “Stop it Ri,” he murmurs. “This isn’t your fault. I knew what I was doing when I started this. I’m going to tell the truth, I’m going to show everyone, and if there are problems then we’ll handle them together.”

 

I nod, lost for words, because I know how much he must care to do all of this for me. I know how nervous he gets, how he hides his emotions and doesn’t always admit when he is struggling. I pull him into another kiss, winding my arms around his neck and running eager fingers through his hair. His hands travel down my waist and further down, gripping my thighs and pulling me up to carry me.

 

We make our way down the hall, stopping at the door to the bedroom of the lavish hotel room. The door is shut, Namjoon trying to manage both me and the doorknob while I ravage his neck and shoulder. The next thing I know is his arm slipping, my legs losing their grip as I tumble to the floor with a yelp.

 

He jumps back, reaching down to help. “Oh my god, Ri, are you-”


“Did you just ing drop me?”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: sorry I took so long, it's not much of an update ;-; I've had major writer's block so forgive me?