- The Project

The Bangtan Project

1- word count 2190; warnings: none (except the hotness of Bangtan, of course) 


My breathing races from my lungs in rasps, my heart pounding faster than the music all around me. A look at the clock would have confirmed what my muscles were already screaming; if I danced anymore, I would pass out. It had been eight hours since I started, around four this morning. I could never sleep and my feet always found their way back to the studio. It was just past noon when I finally turned the music off and wiped the sweat from my face and arms.

 

“Ri-nim?” Calls  a soft voice from the door. “The boss is here.” I nod, tightening my ponytail and straightening my black tank top. I won’t be getting any neater than this. “Good morning, Sung Jaemun-ssi.” I say, bowing slightly. Jaemun is many things to me; a manager, a boss, and a friend. We both know I am perfectly capable of handling my own affairs, but as my company gains popularity I find it easier to have him run the show. His funding and connections have been nothing short of a blessing for me. After a quick reply, Jaemun gets straight to the point. “This studio is getting more well-known by the day. I’ve been talking to some people, and I have a group that wants to work with you. Their managers agree that you can help them improve both their music and their dance. Would you be willing to take it on?”

 

I have a feeling this is a tentative offer. If I agree, I will not be permitted to make any mistakes with my teaching. My dance lessons are just one part of my work, but living in Seoul means I have a lot of competition. There is no shortage of idols in this city. “Of course I would love to help any group that I can. Who are we talking about?” Jaemun smiles, an act that makes him look younger as his dark eyes crinkle. “I’ve been talking with BigHit Entertainment. They want you to work with BTS.” My eyes, which were drifting about, snap to his face again. “Accept,” I say immediately. “I know who they are.” Jaemun chuckles, turning away. “I had a feeling you might. I’ll get right on it.”

 

A newfound energy pushes me into another hour of dance. When I first moved to Korea, I knew it would be a rough journey. Dying my hair black, losing weight, being fluent in several languages, and renting a studio still was not enough to hide the fact that I am a young foreigner. Blue eyes, a ski-slope nose, and pink skin prevent me from ever fitting into the kpop industry. Instead I dance, teach, and work to encourage the idols I long to join. To think that finally, after two years, I’ll be able to help the Bangtan Boys- it is enough to make me giddy. I have worked with several idols before, but usually the less famous ones, or the solo artists. This is the beginning of an entirely new project,

 


 

I wake at five the next morning so I can shower and eat before tugging on jean shorts, which ride high up my thighs and allow for flexibility, a white tank top, and a black hoodie. My hair is in a neat bun with a red bandana holding back my bangs. I debate over Converse shoes or regular sneakers- sneakers are better for dancing, but I am meeting BTS. I choose the red Converse, letting my inner fangirl take over despite the fact that I’m an adult with a degree. “Nineteen is hardly an adult,” I remind myself with chagrin. I’ve already decided that I will not reveal my age- it’s hard enough to get people to listen to me being a young girl, but if anyone knew my exact age…

 

I sigh as I walk out of my apartment building. The group will learn eventually. I just have to make sure to earn their respect before they do. Walking briskly down the street, it only takes me fifteen minutes to reach my studio.It’s not very large on the outside, but it has two separate dance rooms, a changing room, bathrooms, and an office as well as the main lobby. It took me a long time to save up the money for a loan, but my success as a teacher helped me to pay off my debts. Some would say it is impossible for someone my age to own a business- I graduated college at eighteen, thanks to a lot of private tutoring. It is partly my surprising achievements that bring more customers, wanting to take lessons out of curiosity.

 

I unlock the studio and turn on all of the lights and speakers. Soon I have music filling the room as I warm up with a quick workout. I soon have my blood rushing again; I was never a fan of coffee, so I wake myself up in an equally effective way. Blasting hip-hop music while doing one hundred situps is less than relaxing. By the time my secretary Eunja comes in around eight, I’ve already been dancing for a couple of hours.

 

“Are you excited, Ri-ssi?” Eunja asks. She’s just a few years older than I, but she does not know that. She is one of the people who has yet to find out my age. “I’m glad to have new students, yes,” I say calmly. I am in teacher-mode now, having left behind the immature girl who wanted to impress her favorite singers. Eunja rolls her eyes and turns to go back to the lobby. “Whatever. Don’t act like half of your routines aren’t to BTS songs.” I smile when she leaves, shaking my head and continuing to move to the beat. She knows me well, despite our professional relationship.

 

The clock shows nine in the morning. I pause the music and wipe my skin where sweat has collected. After double-checking my hair and taking a deep breath, I open the door that connects the dance room to the lobby. There is a group of nine men crowding the desk, where Eunja is handling things as best she can. “Good morning,” I call softly. The room goes silent. I make my way to the front of the room, where the Bangtan Boys’ two managers are finalizing some small details. “My name is Ri. I’ll be your teacher for the next few weeks.” I bow slightly, finally taking a look at the other seven people in front of me.

 

Kim Namjoon, the leader, the Rap Monster, speaks first. His dimples show, his thick lips curling in a polite smile. He’s wearing a black shirt and gray sweatpants, his white-blonde hair covered by a snapback hat. “Good morning. I’m Rap Monster, and this is my group.” On his signal they all bow and cry out “Hello, we are BTS!” I smile warmly at them, bowing again. “Don’t  worry, I know who you are. Please, go ahead through this door and we’ll get started in just a moment.” They file into the dance room, squeezing through the door in an excited jumble.

 

After everything is settled with the managers, I follow the boys into the dance room and shut the door behind me. I allow myself to examine each one quickly: J-Hope is making faces at Jimin, a loose red sweatshirt and basketball shorts covering his tall frame. Jimin is already looking at me for instruction, his bare arms swinging slightly by his sides. I’m a little glad that he wore a sleeveless shirt, because the view is nice. Taehyung is whining playfully to Jungkook, shaking his red-brown hair back and forth while the maknae ignores him. Suga and Jin are both quiet, though Jin looks more like he is thinking while Suga appears to want a nap.

 

“Hello again. Are you ready to get started?” There is a chorus of “yes” and I proceed. “You can warm up first, stretch, and then we’ll work on the routine.” My task is to teach them the choreography for a new song they’ll be releasing soon. Normally they have another choreographer, but a string of emergencies led BigHit to contact my studio. If I do well over the next few weeks, it will mean a lot for my business as well as BTS’s image.

 

I turn my music on again, this time switching it to a playlist I think the boys will prefer. I pay attention as they go through warm-up exercises, trying to figure out their mood and energy levels. I always find it easier to teach a class when I know what kind of mindset they have. So far they all seem in a somewhat decent mood, including Yoongi. “Hey Ri-nim?” Jungkook asks as he stretches. “Where are you from? You don’t look Korean but  you speak it perfectly.” Jin starts to reprimand him but I simply smile. “I come from a lot of places. I was born in America, but I’ve lived and studied in a few countries. I started learning Korean three years ago, so I know the language pretty well.” Jungkook and Namjoon both look excited. “So you speak english?” Namjoon asks, in english, his words coming out with an accent that is both urban and cute. I nod, replying in my first language. “Yes, I do. I can teach you more of that, too, if you’d like.” Namjoon laughs, while the other boys stare and try to figure it out.

 

They ask me more about where I’ve traveled, so I tell them about America and Europe and all the other places I’ve been. They chatter about the time they went to LA, their seven voices filling the room until I can’t even tell who is saying what. It’s a pleasant sound, and I find it obvious that these boys are closer than brothers.

 

“I want to warn you now,” I say when it is time to really begin. “This will be a harder dance routine than you usually do. I’ve studied your past routines and training methods, and I decided that your new song should really hit with a bang. Because it is a difficult routine, we’ll have to work hard and focus from the time you walk in, to the time you leave. I have no doubt in any of you.”

 

Jimin and J-Hope glance at each other as I speak, smiling. They’re the best dancers, along with Jungkook. RapMon looks down at his feet, but when I catch his eye I give him an encouraging smile. I tell them to back up so I can show them the first few steps. I do it without music first, counting aloud with each move.

 

It’s a long practice. I stop counting the hours, trying to play to each boy’s strengths instead of teaching them all as one group. If there were more than seven I would have trouble, but I find a way to make time for them individually. At the end of the practice, Taehyung and Namjoon have had the most trouble. I hold them back for a moment while the others cool down and get water. “What is dance?” I ask the two, standing in front of them. I’m close enough that I can see Namjoon’s shoulders heave as he catches his breath. V’s tongue flicks over his lips. “Uh,” he begins awkwardly. “It’s when you move your body to music.”

 

I step closer- I’m only 165 cm, puny compared to Namjoon’s 181 cm. My head is about level with his chest. “To me, dance is like an equation. You take strength, add it to music, and the output is motion. Your strength-” I put my left hand on V’s stomach and my right on Namjoon’s. “-is here. Your muscle, your core, they hold your strength. Your music is in your veins; when you sing, it races right through your blood. Music is always within you. So take your strength, find your music, and turn it into motion.” I step back, trying not to think about the fact that their tummies felt like metal under my fingers. “Taehyung, where is your strength?” He winces. ‘Uh, my body?” I nod. “Namjoon, where is your music?” He grins. “In my veins.” I nod again. “Now show me motion!” They look at each other and each do a little spin.

 

“Good,” I say. “Tomorrow you’ll show me again. Dancing is not something you learn- dancing is always there. Dance is a talent you must discover.” I dismiss them, saying goodbye to the group as they depart to go to their next event. I know that they have a full schedule, and wish them a good night’s rest.

 


 

A/N: the first chapter, ahhh! I read through to fix mistakes but if I missed anything feel free to let me know :) I hope I've portrayed the boys well so far hehe, my sister is much better at this than I am....

Also, I'll do my best to make Ri a good OC, as I know oc's can be kind of hit and miss. Please leave comments! Thanks for reading! Updates should be weekly.