S.M.S.P

IO1s - Ideal of 1 Shots

Title: S.M.S.P (Soul Mates Super Powers)

Summary: Cathy swore she could see sparks going off in front of her, practically screaming 'Congratulations! You've met your match!' | Everybody in the world has a power that compliments their soulmates power. When together, both their powers increase in strength exponentially.

Characters: Cathy (Heehyun), Kim Nayoung, Kang Yebin, Chaeyeon, Kang Mina

Pairings: Cathy/Heehyun.

I changed the name of the story. Death's smile is meant to be a one shot, however I will make another part to it if you guys want!

Any mistakes made are mine, I tend to miss out on a lot of silly mistakes when I try to go over it.


 

When Cathy woke up she knew it’d be a bad day. First of all, her mother had left the blinds open with the filthy sunlight piercing into her room, illuminating all of her disgusting habits. Such as leaving her numerous pringle cans near her computer and several piles of clothes on top of her school work. Secondly her husky Stitch woke her up at the crack of dawn, his slobber all over her face. (His saliva being a common occurrence, however waking up at dawn was not.)

 

“What do you want?” The girl grunted, as she placed her hand on the dog’s snout and pushed him back.

 

She didn’t receive a reply verbally, but she didn’t expect one anyways. All she got was a tail wag, hitting against her bedside drawer, thumps heard every few seconds.

 

The girl couldn’t stand it, as she tried to turn her head to stare at the dog, the light pierced through once more and knocked her out back onto her pillow, “Dead-” she called out weakly, “wake me up when it’s dark.”

 

This time there was a reply, her husky her face even more.

 

“You’re a , you know that?”

 

Look at yourself, you’re talking to a dog. The voice in the back of her mind calls out.

 

Seriously? off!

 

Momentarily distracted, Stitch overpowered his owner and jumped onto the bed pushing his paws up against her face.

 

“I’m up.” Cathy groaned and pushed the dog off, standing up. Despite the ‘abuse’ Stitch sat back up, his tail wagging furiously, so fast that Cathy thought her pet would eventually fly into the stratosphere.

 

“You hungry or something? At least wait for me to have a shower.”

 

Even though her clock read 5:32am, she still left the comfort of her blankets to appease her dog.

 

Not like i’m going to go back to sleep.

 

As she made her way into the bathroom she stripped down from her pyjamas, eventually stumbling into her shower.

 

One turn for warm water, one huge turn for mankind. The girl thought miserably as she twisted the knob. As the water started to stream down she heard a bark behind her.

 

There stood Stitch. In her shower.

 

“Have you no shame?”

 

Another bark.

 


 

So apart from the messy start to her day, Cathy managed to get to school on time, with a piece of (burnt) toast in .

 

School started at 8. She was awake since 5. Stitch gave her no time to rest.

 

As she walked, she noticed some of the other stragglers on the road, those from her year level. The other year levels were at different sections of the land, each year separated until they were in year 10, where they would then share a class with the upperclassmen.

 

The girl visibly brightened as she stepped through the doors of the year 11 building, the majority of students visibly stiffening and parting just like the red sea for her.

 

In a world where each person received a power at the age of 12, Cathy’s school was quite different. Promoted as a girl’s private school, in reality the prestigious academy is used to train those with favorable powers to become government workers. Well, that was the second facade. Powers were identified and classed, the more dangerous, the more the government has to keep an eye on them. It’d be disastrous if those with superior powers destroyed the balance that society has worked so hard on to build.


The school itself had a male counterpart, however it’s on the other side of Korea. It’s used as a countermeasure to prevent the kids from finding their soul mates. Soul mates were common in the world, everyone has one, and they say that one’s soul mates powers compliments your own.

 

It was said that back in time humans were originally created with four arms, four legs and a head with two faces. Fearing their power, Zeus, a greek god, split them into two separate parts, condemning them to spend their lives in search of their other halves.

 

So when a person meets their soulmate, their powers grow exponentially.

 

It’s no wonder that they split them, every adult went through puberty, and puberty can make people do some pretty stupid things. However some things can’t be stopped. The first few times there was a lesbian soulmate couple in the school they didn’t know how to react, but the school board figured that it’d be too much of a hassle to split them up.

 

So they just kept the boys away from the girls, that kept a majority of the soul mates apart.

 

Cathy’s day was getting progressively better once she stepped into her classroom. Sometimes just walking into a small room would visibly darken the environment.

 

Her eyes scanned the room like a hawk as the students in her grade visibly squirmed.

 

Dark mists would surround her fellow classmates body’s, the more there was the more intense their fear was. It was hilarious, seeing so much emit from someone, to see a teenager feel like a small child, when all she had to do was take a step.

 

Fear had a certain smell, a delicious essence to it, something close to vanilla. It was one that Cathy could drown in for days on end. Of course she can be affected by fear, and then the taste of vanilla would be hated, but rarely does it so happen.

 

The ‘bully’ walked to her desk, spirits raised in comparison to her early morning. The girl who sat next to her let out a squeak as she settled down into her chair.

 

“Wow, ease up, won’t you?” Cathy smiled, using the flick of her wrist to heighten the other’s fear. The mist surrounding her fellow student spiked up, growing exponentially in size until it covered her whole entire table. The girl started to tremble, sweat rolling down her skin.

 

“Stop it,” Kahi, the teacher, called out, displeasure written on her face. “Every single time you do this. Don’t make me disable your powers.”

 

Ah, yes. Kahi. One of strictest teachers in all of Korea. Like every person in the world she has her own power, and her power is to momentarily take away the powers of others by touching them.

 

Cathy has had quite a few run ins with her teacher and would like to keep that number down to a minimum. (One incident involved her jumping out of the window when she was on the third floor. Yeah. ‘Twas a bit hard to explain to the nurse and her friends her thoughts at the time.)

 

“Yeah- yeah.” Cathy just waved her hand and then eased the fear which was in the room, the lighting changing as if a dark filter was suddenly lifted. The girl took in a deep breath, taking in all of the scent before exhaling, arms placed out in front of her so she could sleep through the lesson.

 

Having a sleeping Cathy was way better than one that could make a whole classroom piss their pants, something which did happen on the first day of year 7.

 


 

Time passed by for the fear manipulator, eyes shut as she managed to get a few minutes of sleep in. It was near the end of the first period when her own shadow turned against her, physically manifesting and poking her till she was awake.

 

“W-what the fuc-” She groaned, ready to slap away the assailant till she felt coldness wash over her, hand piercing through the shadow.

 

“Kim Nayoung!” The girl growled, standing up and turning back, watching as the girl sitting behind her grinned. Her shadow dissolved, falling down to the ground like water.

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t wake me up like that!”

 

If only Cathy could scare her same aged best friend, that would have fixed the situation.

 

“Didn’t do nothing,” her best friend just held her hands up and shrugged, “I’m not the only shadow manipulator in this school. Anyways. We’re going to start pairing up with the year below us for power class.”

 

What followed was a groan and a forehead connecting with a desk.

 

“Crap. Forgot about ‘em. Annoying runts. And here I thought term two was going to be great. Whatever. We going to scare off a few of the kids?”

 

“Of course. Let’s see if we can beat our record.”

 

“Mmm. Ugh. I just want it to be our last year, then we don’t have to deal with those runts.”

 

“Funny you say that, I keenly remember you annoying your partner when you were one of those ‘annoying runts’”

 

Cathy just snorted, “Whatever, we should go get changed, right?”

 


 

When Cathy entered the powers room she didn’t even bother looking at the the year 10s. She strutted in, shoulders pulled back, chest pushed out, head held high and gaze looking straight ahead as she went to the back to stand with Nayoung.

 

The room was quite large, it wasn’t like the gym on the other side of the school, which had wooden floor boards. Instead the room was divided up into squares, checkered with asphalt or mats. The ceiling was high up, numerous amounts of windows littering the top to let sunlight in. If one would focus at a certain spot of the ceiling, they would see the small inconsistencies, the wall shifting on such a miniscule scale. The dean of the school boasted a perfect, transparent shield, however things never really worked out to be 100%.

 

The teacher droned on, and instead of listening, Cathy played with her same aged friend, making scary faces and attempting to see if the other would react. Each introductory lesson was like this, the teacher having to set out the safety procedures which hasn’t changed since the start of this school.

 

Eventually the crowd started to disperse, the year 10s and 11s meeting up to form partners.

 

Luckily for Cathy, she looked scary enough that nobody bothered her, so she could choose her own partner (Who should look fairly wimpy and weak) and then skimp out on powers class for the rest of the year. What she didn’t know was that another girl stood at the end of the room, eyes locked onto her as words whizzed by her, numerous upperclassmen asking to be her partner.

 

The oblivious fear manipulator had kept on pestering Kim Nayoung, who already had found her own partner in the form of a small, cute girl with ears that were too large for her head.

 

Cathy was just about to make Nayoung’s partner cry when she felt a small tap on her back.

 

“What the -” Pissed off, Cathy drew the fear from the pits of her stomach and whipped around, her face took on a different look, cheeks and eyes hollowed out to scare her intruder.

 

When she landed her eyes on the girl the room instantly darkened, a deep pressure pressing down onto her chest. Screams pierced throughout the room as light seemed to disappear. fear sprung forth from the darkness, wrapping itself around any living victim, except for the girl in front of her, whose aura seemed to shine so bright.

 

Pitta-pat.

 

Pitta-pat, pitta-pat.

 

What the ?

 

“You will stop what you’re doing immediately.”

 

Oh.

 

Her heart sped up, the room lighting up as she felt her powers being sapped away from her. Tendrils of darkness which wrapped itself around the room started to speed back to the manipulator, eventually disappearing into her sleeves.

 

Wide eyed, blood rushed to her head. She took a step back, dizzy as she fell and landed on her tailbone.

 

“.”

 

“You’re telling me,” Nayoung, who was an observer, would be snickering right now, but she couldn’t even move her arms or legs and that was more concerning than laughing at the current situation.

 

Wordlessly, Cathy placed a hand on her chest, feeling her heart go off at a thousand beats per second. “You-”

 

“Me?” The year 10 in front of her appeared in front of her vision again, sitting down cross legged. Chaeyeon was unaware of the chaos she has caused as well, the whole entire class room having stopped their actions entirely. The more weaker girls who were talking had their mouths wide open, the only thing they could do was breath. Well, not even that, Cathy swears that a girl, maybe her name was Sohee? Sohye? Wasn’t even breathing.

 

The room was silent. One could even hear a pin drop. The teacher, who was supposed to look after the wellbeing of her students, wasn’t even reacting, she just stood to the side patiently, wanting to see how things panned out.

 

Argh- Nayoung didn’t tell me that the year 10 girls were this pretty.

 

Clear skin, beautiful smile, eyes that one could drown in forever. Not to mention a nice body-

 

Cathy cursed inwardly, her chest feeling a pull towards the girl in front of her. She swore she could see small sparks going off in front of her, practically screaming ‘Congratulations! You’ve met your match!’.

 

“I’m assuming you’re feeling what i’m feeling?” The stranger said, “Because if so, then it’s nice to meet you. Soul mate and powers partner.”

 

The normally composed and cool Cathy was internally freaking out, eyes still wide. Instead of responding she looked at her hands, flicking her wrist to see if she could summon some fear. When it didn’t appear, she cursed out loud.

 

“! Is this a thing now? Are you Kahi Junior?”

 

“That’s funny, but no.” Her soul mate deadpanned, “Name’s Chaeyeon, I have persuasion.”

 

“This is not how I imagined my first powers class with a junior to be like.”

 

“Same!” Nayoung called out, she was still posed awkwardly, leg held out as the girl was just about to take a step. Right beside her was her own partner, eyes moving between the two soul mates as she stood still, hands clasped behind her back.

 

“Shut up Kim Nayoung!”

 

“Can you pay attention?”

 

Oh. Right.

 

Cathy looked away from the goddess in front of her, hand rubbing at as she took in deep breaths, eventually calming down enough so she could stand up. Brushing herself off with a few flicks onto her sports clothes, she stared at her supposed soul mate.

 

“So. Uh. Are you going to give me my powers back anytime soon?”

 

“Are you going to scare the crap out of everyone in this room?” Chaeyeon looked up, covering her eyes with her hand.

 

“If you’re my soulmate, which is obvious, then yes, yes I will.”

 

“Then no.”

 

“How about,” Cathy looked around the room, finally noticing all the people who were stuck, “Letting them move again?”

 

“That,” Chaeyeon looked around, noting the living statues, “Well. I can do that. Wait a second.” With a small heave she stood up. Taking a few steps forward, Chaeyeon clasped her hands around Cathy’s ears, pressing hard so the other couldn’t hear.

 

“You will continue doing what you were doing.”

 

As the last syllable left her lips a collective sigh of relief left the mouths of her fellow classmates. Sohee (Sohye!) (Soomi?) was sprawled out on the ground, trying to take in as much oxygen as she could.

 

Even though activity resumed in the room, Chaeyeon hadn’t put her hands back, so Cathy took the initiative and slapped the girl’s hands away.

 

“So. Who said you were going to be my partner for powers class?”

 

“I did. Nobody else wanted to be with you anyways.”

 

“I was totally fine with that,” Cathy scowled, staring at her soul mate with a glare, a glare that would affect anyone besides Nayoung, and now her own soul mate.

 

“Well, too late.”

 

“Great!” The teacher, known as Cheetah, eventually took control of the situation, clapping her hands with a small smile, “Now that that’s settled, how about we start off with some fighting? If we can get two volunteers from the year 11s, we can show the year 10s what you can do with your powers once you learn how to fight.”

 

The older class looked at each other warily, wondering who would step up to the challenge.

 

“Anyone? Oh, okay! I’ll just choose!” Cheetah smiled, a hint of malice hiding behind it as she stared at the teenagers, eventually picking out, “Kim Nayoung and Kang Yebin! You’re up. For the little kids information, Kim Nayoung can manipulate shadows whilst Yebin has bone manipulation. We’ll have one round without powers and one with, three minutes each, sounds good?”

 

A chorus of ‘yes’s resonated throughout the room.

 

“Great, great. Alright girls, how about you go onto one of the mats?”

 

A sigh left the two lucky girls, both eyeing each other as they stepped onto the mat.

 

When they stood apart from each other, Yebin smiled and taunted, “Ready to get your kicked, Kim?”

 

“Well, I mean, from someone as pretty as you I wouldn’t mind-” she joked back, taking on a relaxed stance, hands in her back pockets of her shorts.

 

“Oh dude- that’s what you said last year-”

 

“I know right-”

 

“FIGHT!” Cheetah screamed, breaking the two off from their conversation.

 

For a second there was silence, both girls standing and assessing the other before they dashed forward, Nayoung going for a low kick to trip whilst Yebin jumped up, ready to strike down on the tall girl.

 

Both girls exchanged blows, each punch and kick becoming consecutively faster and faster. The year 10s stood in awe, clapping along whilst the year 11s were just cheering on whoever thought would win, both girls having an equal amount of support.

 

Cathy stood by the side, finding no reason to cheer for her best friend when she was going to win anyways. Duh.

 

Chaeyeon stood by her side, watching nonchalantly as she stared at her nails.

 

“Why aren’t you watching properly?”

 

“Do I need to?” The younger girl cut back, rolling her eyes and looking at her partner.

 

“Now don’t you start with that tone missy.”

 

“Or what?”

 

“Well. I don’t know,” Cathy shrugged, “I’ll tickle you?”

 

“Not ticklish.”

 

“Hmph. Figures-”

 

“STOP!” The fight broke off, Nayoung lying flat on the floor whilst Yebin sat on the girl’s back victoriously, having beaten the girl with an arm lock, followed by a leg sweep.

 

“Alright. Get ready for round two you kids-”

 

“Huh- Nayoung lost.”

 

“Are you as weak as her?” Chaeyeon raised a brow, placing a hand on the older girl’s shoulders innocently.

 

“Nope.” Cathy looked at the other, searching her eyes, “Why’d you think that?”

 

“You seem like the type to be all scary on the outside but a huge cuddly bear on the inside.”

 

“Pfft!” That broke Cathy, who bent over laughing, clutching her stomach, “Funny, dear, nice to know my soul mate has a sense of humour.”

 

“Now i’m starting to think that this isn’t going to work out. I should have chosen another partner, I know there’s another girl from your class who has been eyeing me since the start of this period.”

 

“Woah,” Cathy stood up immediately, back straight as jealousy surged through her, “No. Even if i’ve only known you for less than an hour, you’re mine. You’re my soul mate.”

 

“Here I thought you wanted to be by yourself?”

 

“Yeah- well-”

 

“At least pay attention to the fight Heehyun!” Nayoung yelled out, a broken piece of bone flew through the crowd and whizzed past the two girls who were talking. Nayoung was in a questionable position, seated on Yebin’s legs as the other extended her own bones out of her body, trying to stab the girl on top as her own shadow held her down.

 

“You’re fine,” Cathy just waved her hand dismissively, turning her attention back to her partner. “Anyways. You can’t swap partners now. Once you choose you’re stuck for the rest of the year.”

 

“Who made up that rule?” The scowling fear manipulator turned her head away from the girl, who was smiling at her oh so innocently.

 

“The school did.”

 

“I believe you.”

 

“Now that I know who my soul mate is,” Cathy cleared , holding her hand out, still facing away from Chaeyeon, “Want to go to the park with me on sunday?”

 

“I’d love that.” Chaeyeon’s smile grew wider as she noted the hint of pink on Cathy’s cheeks, hand placed on top of the older girl’s, fingers intertwined.


Things actually turned out better than expected.

 


 

I wanted to go through this AU with all the couples (where one couple = one chapter) and if I do well I might as well make it into a story maybe (?).

I kind of rushed the last part, i'm waiting at school whilst my mother has a meeting that will last for another hour or two.