A spoilt daughter, ice rinks and hot jam donuts.

IO1s - Ideal of 1 Shots

Title: A spoilt daughter, ice rinks and hot jam donuts.

Summary: Fun times occur when the spoilt princess of the Kim household goes to an ice rink on family day.

Characters: Sejeong, Kim Nayoung, Somi. Mentions of Dani, Cathy and Chaeyeon.

Pairings: Sejeong/Kim Nayoung

I'd like to apologise for my absence! I've been sick for the last two weeks and school has been getting VERY stressful, pair that with my anxiety it just goes off the charts. This is for @nicz04, who requests Nayoung x Sejeong + Somi family au. Hope this was good enough!


Also i'm hoping to finish off the second part to SMSP! I'm about 2,300 words in. I'll probably finish it tomorrow and post it then! 


 

There were so many people that Nayoung would like to thank. First off the IVF team at their local IVF centre, secondly the random white man that decided to donate his to the needy in korea, thirdly for herself, for taking a huge needle into her body to take eggs out, and lastly her beautiful wife, Sejeong, who carried the child and demanded her to pick up a ton of bacon at the local store at times of emotional turbulence.

 

She would like to say that having Somi has been a blessing in their lives, but in reality it has been one hell of a ride since she was born, like Nayoung was constantly going downhill at the speed of light, one moment away from death. Sure there were some slight inclines, but if there was one thing she learnt from hiking, it’s that if you go up, it means you have to go down in the end either way.

 

So to put it nicely, parenting has been fun, where things like the notion of sleep and privacy has become non existent, especially when you have a child that demands to be coddled 24/7.

 

Nayoung thought that once Somi was past the age of 5 she’d turn out to be completely different than what she was when she was a toddler. She even flicked all of her spare change into the fountain outside of her favorite yum cha restaurant, but it was of no use.

 

The girl was too energetic, she could run circles around the two of them and they have tried, tried so much to find a way to exhaust the girl, but nothing has been useful as of yet. They threw money into numerous hobbies and only one was enough to capture their sweetheart’s attention, Korea’s national martial arts, Taekwondo. Somi just so happened to love it, spending her afternoons practicing at the local dojo. It was good that Somi found a hobby, it gave Sejeong and Nayoung two hours to themselves, before they had to be thrown back into the evermoving lifestyle that Somi brought them into.

 

Learning Taekwondo had its downsides, though. Numerous times has there been emergencies where Nayoung has ended up on the ground, cradling her stomach or covering her . One time she was kicked in the crotch and Sejeong had to reprimand the young girl, which was quite hard as the girl was quite spoilt and Sejeong couldn’t stop laughing at her lover’s pain. It took quite a few times before Somi stopped randomly attacking them, now she just hits Nayoung in the morning to wake her up (“Lightly!” Somi insists).

 

So as light from the hallway peered into the dark bedroom and the thuds of heavy feet, which weren’t silenced by the carpet, were heard, Nayoung steeled herself for what was to come. She could feel the presence of her daughter loom over her, the girl’s balled fist already prepped. After a few seconds she felt it, the feeling of youth smacking down onto her. Somi called out in her squeaky voice whilst simultaneously hitting her left shoulder, “MAMA TOLD ME TO WAKE YOU UP SO HERE I AM.”

 

Another bruise for the books.

 

A defeated grunt left Nayoung as she opened an eye wearily, taking in the sight of her daughter looming over her.

 

“And mother is telling you if you don’t stop what you’re doing she’ll stop paying for your taekwondo lessons.” She grumbled in reply, eyes closed as she turned to her side, facing away from her ever energetic daughter,

 

“HAH! YOU’VE SAID THAT FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS. I’M NOT A DUMB GIRL.” Nayoung could feel the shift of weight in the mattress as her daughter pressed her knee down into it, arms held up as she went down for a strike. It was instantaneous, Nayoung shifted to the side to face her daughter, hand swinging out to hit her on the back of her head and push it down against the bed covers.

 

“You can’t defeat the master, young padawan.”

 

“The force is in me!” Somi’s voice was muffled as she struggled to moved her head back. At the moment she exerted the most energy Nayoung let go, the girl flying back, hitting the carpeted floor.

 

“That’s some force you got there. Whatever, kiddo, i’m up.” Patting the bewildered girl on the floor, she went off of her beloved bed and stretched.

 

Somi climbed to her feet, looking up to her mother, eyes wide and round, innocence beaming from her features. Nayoung just stared back at her, unimpressed, then with a sigh she knelt down, already knowing what the girl wanted to do. Picking her up, she flinged the 8 year old over her shoulder, ready to impersonate an air hostess.

 

“Welcome to Kim airlines, is this your first time riding with us?”

 

“No!”

 

“Good to know. We will be flying in about 3 seconds, please buckle yourself in tight, hold onto the thing closest to you and we’ll be off. Next stop - dining room.”

 

With that Somi latched onto her mother’s shirt, making sure she couldn’t fall off. Suddenly she started to bounce, Nayoung ran down the stairs, taking a detour to the kitchen, where the smell of fresh eggs and buttered toast greeted them.

 

Nayoung was personally greeted by her wife, dressed up in an apron with a bikini print on, a mother's day present that Nayoung convinced Somi to buy at their school’s mothers day sales (How they were even allowed to sell it to an elementary school is still something that escapes Nayoung to this day). Sejeong wasn’t happy at the time, but it grew onto her ever since both of the lovely ladies in her life insisted that she wear it. (“Like a model mama!” She recalls Somi yelling, then Nayoung sneakily handing her $10 from behind.)

 

“Hey, uh, mother, i’m pretty sure this isn’t the dining room.” Somi points out once she realises that there were pure white tiles instead of wooden floor boards.

 

“Oh really? Just had to make one stop.”

 

Leaning in, Nayoung kissed Sejeong on the lips, pulling away with a huge grin on her face.

 

“Why are you kissing mum? That’s disgusting!” Somi complained from behind Nayoung, still thrown over her shoulder.

 

“Didn’t think you’d hear it.” Nayoung just shrugged, smirking as she noted how Sejeong rolled her eyes.

 

“Of course I can hear it! I can always hear it! It’s weird!”

 

“I’m just asserting my dominance. Sejeong is mine. Roar. My Queen.”

 

“You’re such an idiot.” Sejeong rolled her eyes, patting the older woman in front of her then moving towards the dining table, already set out with yoghurt and fruit.

 

“Hey Mother Na, Mum just said a bad word. Do I get a dollar in the cookie jar?”

 

“That’s not even a thing.”

 

“Well Dani gets a dollar for every time Heehyun says a bad word”

 

“That’s because Heehyun and Chaeyeon have money, and their kid is actually well behaved.” Nayoung is pretty sure Heehyun is the devil and pays Dani to act well mannered in front of others, especially Chaeyeon.

 

“Hmph. So you’re saying we don’t have money?”

 

“I mean, who pays for your Taekwondo lessons, kid?”

 

Without warning Nayoung dipped forward, letting Somi down onto her feet. The taller mother was already at the table when she said, “Last one at the table is a rotten egg.”

 

“Oh-”

 

“Poor you.” Nayoung nodded, wiping back a fake tear from her eye, “I can’t believe my daughter is a rotten egg.”

 

“What! I’m not a rotten egg!” Somi was about to pounce forward to attack her mother if it wasn’t for the other one swatting both of them on the back of their heads.

 

“Grow up. It’s hard enough raising one kid.” With a tut Sejeong sat down at the head of the table, setting down the eggs and toast, then glaring at the two children in front of her.

 

“Well if you don’t like me as I am i’m going to Heehyun’s!”

 

“Alright. See where that takes you.”

 

Silence fell upon the family of three as they all sent each other glares, tension rising. The thin glass broke as Nayoung stabbed her fork down into an egg, “Let’s just eat, shall we?”

 

“Agreed.”

 

“Agreed.” Somi chimed in, mouth already stuffed with as much food as possible.

 

Things seemed to settle down from there. Nayoung had her coffee, Sejeong didn’t have to clean up Somi’s mess and Somi was being obedient for once, sitting near the sink in the bathroom to have her hair brushed.

 

Every sunday is family day, and family day means ‘let’s do what Somi wants’ and ‘you can have anything you want, anything at all, as long as it’s under $50.’ A technique Nayoung had learnt as a child from her own mother.

 

The family of 3 packed into their van with Nayoung at the wheel when she turned around to stare at her small kid, “Alright princess, where you wanna go?”

 

“Disneyland!”

 

“Not possible.”

 

“Saturn!”

 

“Nope.”

 

“Arts and crafts!”

 

“Did that last week.”

 

“Aunty Chaeyeon’s house!”

 

“Dani is out and i’m pretty sure they’re getting it on.”

 

Smack. She got hit for that reply.

 

“Stone Nayoung’s house!”

 

“Same with them.”

Another smack.

 

“Ice skating!”

 

“No- Actually that sounds quite reasonable.” Nayoung turned to Sejeong, her face essentially spelling out, ‘not bad.’

 

“Yeah,” Sejeong shrugged, “We can do that.”

 

The more responsible parent eyed Somi, noting her attire. It was good she wasn’t wearing a skirt. Sejeong always made sure to have a spare outfit for all three of them in the back of the car in case of an emergency anyways.

 

“We don’t have to go back in. Let me just set up the gps.” Feeling her pockets, Sejeong took out her samsung and flicked it open, swiping her password in less then a second and then opening up the map app.

 

“You want the same rink or a new one?”

 

“Hmm.” Somi’s furrowed her brows, “New one, but make sure they have hot jam donuts!”

 

“As her highness wishes.” With a few taps Sejeong brought out her notes, different locations listed down for various activities, all for family day. “We got one about 30 minutes away from here, sounds good to you?”

 

“Music party?”

 

“Is it going to be barbie music?”

 

“No,” Somi rolled her eyes at Nayoung, “I’m a big girl now, I enjoy evanescence, twice, 5 minutes of summer and asking alexandria.”

 

“One of them is not the same.”

 

“I mean, twice is kpop, the rest are english,” Sejeong interjected, having put the location into her phone regardless of an answer. She slipped it into the phone holder near Nayoung.

 

“Asking alexandria is essentially metalcore. Next thing you know she’s goth and her whole entire itunes collection is full of death metal! Heehyun must have influenced her.” With a balled up fist, Nayoung slammed it down onto her palm, “I’ll get her for it!”

 

“Well just put some music on from your phone,” Sejeong slapped Nayoung’s arm, then turning to look at Somi, “Sweetie, just remember to not put the volume up too loud or else you’ll hurt your ears.”

 

“Alright mama.”

 

“Get the car going, will you?” Sejeong hit Nayoung once more, who complained but eventually pulled out of the driveway.

 

“Connect my phone.”

 

“Working on it.”

 

After a few seconds Oh My Girl’s Windy Day played through.

 

“Nice choice babe.”

 

“I know. Saw Somi singing and dancing to it a week ago.”

 

As it went to the chorus though Sejeong had to change the song. Windows were down as Somi screamed out, “Windy gays! Windy gays!”

 

People from other cars were peering to stare at the girl. Not for her choice of words, but because she was speaking english and not many people do that in Korea, apparently.

 

“Who taught her that?” Sejeong hissed, having now replaced the song with Twice’s cheer up.

 

“Don’t look at me like that! It was probably Heehyun again! Or.. Or… Im Nayoung!”

 

“They don’t know english!”

 

“I bet my they know some!”

 

“CHORE UP BABY! CHORE UP BABY!”

 

“Or it’s the father.”

 

“Oh. Right. Her biological father does know english, he’s white, kid got her english magically at birth. I still think Heehyun would know something. Probably say something like, ‘Hey Chaeyeon, your chest is magnificent’ and when Chaeyeon asks what it means she’ll say something like, ‘it means your eyes are beautiful.’”

 

Sejeong tried to cover her laugh, which Nayoung noticed and smiled in return.

 

“Set up the rest of the playlist, baby, then you can get some shut eye. I’ll make sure we get to the rink in one piece.” Nayoung winked at her lover, giving her the ok with her fingers.

 

Sejeong returned the gesture, leaning back into her seat with the phone brought up close to her face. The list ended up only being 7 songs long, but it was more than enough to cover them for the rest of the trip. As she set the phone down, she lowered herself and closed her eyes, hands placed over her stomach.

 

When Nayoung could she’d stare at Sejeong, enjoying the stillness and beauty of her lover. It was the small things that made her happy, it also made her forget how Somi was screaming out lyrics in the back. (“I’m going to be a singer one day!” Somi insists)

 

The rest of the trip consisted of Somi just screaming out the lyrics, voice never straining or breaking, which in itself was quite an impressive feat.They arrived at the ice rink in one piece, parking in the car park in front of the factory-like building.

 

The building was built up high, covered in bricks with minimal windows. The only windows on the building showed the small cafe at the front, the place Nayoung assumes where they’ll get their hot jam donuts. There was one entrance near the side, and people were piling in and out. The rink seemed to be a hot spot. Everyone and their kids were there.

 

Cutting off the engine and the music, Nayoung sighed. “Alright kid we’re here, don’t get out yet-”

 

Somi had already unbuckled herself and was out of the door before the engine was cut off. With wide eyes, Nayoung scrambled out of the driver's seat to catch up with the enthusiastic young girl, grabbing at her collar and lifting her up.

 

“Why do you never listen to me?” She grunted, holding the girl up even higher. The older woman’s limited amount of strength only gave her a few seconds to keep her up in the air, so she set her down, grip tightening as she pulled her back to the car.

 

Nayoung still held onto Somi as she opened the door to the passenger's side, the mother carefully waking up.

 

“Sejeong, babe, wake up, we’re here.” When she didn’t respond, Nayoung sighed and leaned into the car, placing a soft kiss onto the woman’s forehead. “Babe, babe?”

 

Lips were pursed and ready to kiss the woman one more time, but she found herself being stopped as her lover’s lips tilted upwards into a smile.

 

“Great. You are up. Stop milking my kisses out, you have a daily limit.”

 

“Never heard of this limit before, you’re always the one begging for kisses.” Sejeong retorted, opening one eye.

 

“..True.”

 

“I’m up. Give me some space so I can get out, hm?”

 

“Of course, of course.” With grip still around Somi’s collar, Nayoung moved backwards and addressed her attention to the 8 year old girl in front of her.

 

“How many times do I have to tell you that it’s dangerous to unbuckle your seatbelt and leave the car before the engine is off? You could possibly injure yourself.” Nayoung put on her motherly voice, something which was rarely seen for the younger girl. It was when there was no playfulness to her tone that got Somi worried.

 

Slightly ashamed, Somi let her head hang low, feet kicking at the gravel, hands clasped behind her back.

 

“Do you understand me?”

 

“I do.”

 

“You won’t do it again?”

 

“Won’tdoitagain,” the girl mumbled.

 

“What was that?”

 

“I won’t do it again.”

 

“Glad we cleared that up.” Nayoung let go, smiling and straightening her back, reverting back to her cheerful personality as if it were nothing, “Ah! What a great day for ice skating, nice suggestion princess. Let’s go straight in. Here, i’ll even hand you the $50, buy the tickets with mum and i’ll lock up the car.”

 

“Alright!” Somi sped off to Sejeong, grasping her hand and pulling her towards the entrance.

 

Once the two were out of sight Nayoung let a huge sigh out, the oldest in the family leaning against the car and closing her eyes.

 

Sejeong had some time to rest, so I deserve my own.

 

Nayoung took her time, taking out the family bag she packed alongside some clothes. She set them down on top of the car, then went around to each door, checking they were locked. She did it several times over, milking the time she had alone for what it’s worth.

 

Even if it’s something like this, Nayoung mused, something so simple and mundane, it is pretty calming. Guess it’s what you get for having Somi as a kid. Or maybe i’m just getting old.

 

A smile graced the mother’s lips.

 

When i’m 80 i’ll be watching Sejeong knit, probably in a nursing home, with a glass of orange juice by my side. Hah. Somi would come in on the weekends and Sejeong and I would look forward to it, because no one else would visit. Ouch- that’s actually getting into some depressing territory.

 

Shaking her head, she finished the routine for the fifth time, then took a step back, bag in hand. Enough time had passed for the two lovely ladies to get their tickets and shoes, so she started trudging her way to the building.

 

Sure enough, the girls were nowhere near the front desk or skates rental. Instead they were at the seats that overlooked the large rink, laces to their shoes already undone, they just needed their second layer of socks now.

 

Somi had let out a squeal when she saw her mother, putting her arm up in the air and waving it around excitedly so Nayoung knows EXACTLY where they are.

 

Laughter escaped the older mother, the girl settling down once she came near.

 

She can get annoying, but she’s still the best.

 

“I have your socks,” Nayoung noted, putting the bag down near the two girls. She sat down to the side as they picked at the bag, pulling out its components until they found their own articles of clothing.

 

“Aren’t you going to skate with us mom?”

 

“I’ll go after Sejeong get’s tired, princess. You know you run circles around us. We’ll tag team.”

 

“..Right.” Somi just smiled, pulling her shoes on. She was halfway through the process of tying her shoelaces when she was stopped, Sejeong going on her knees, her own skates already tied so she could do the same for her daughter. “It has to be really tight,” she noted, undoing the laces and then doing them again, using all of her strength to pull at them.

 

‘Ow!’

 

Then she stopped. Letting it up a little, she finished tying and then stood up, kissing her daughter’s forehead. “Alright, ready to go?”

 

“Ready! Last one down is a loser!” Somi sped off as best as she could with the double bladed skates, going down a few set of stairs and then through the entrance.

 

The mum didn’t move from her position, instead staring at Nayoung, “Kids, right?”

 

“Of course. But you know the longer you stay here, the bigger a loser you are.”

 

“Pfft. Like mother like daughter. How I tolerate you guys is incredible.” Taking a few steps, she pressed a firm kiss to Nayoung’s lips, then went down to follow after her daughter.

 

With the two gone once more she could lie back, have some time to herself and if only she managed to sneak some beer in, she’d break the cap off of that faster than Somi can say ‘taekwondo’.

 

Her gaze was settled on her wife and daughter, yet her mind was elsewhere.

 

The two down at the rink were holding hands, Sejeong being a guide for the currently hesitant Somi, who has to build up her confidence before she can go any faster.

 

‘You can do it, baby, come on. You have two blades, you can’t fall. Even if you did, i’ll pick you up.’

 

‘I’m trying mum! Wait! You’re going too fast!’

 

After half an hour, Somi finally picked up the confidence to stay off the railings and speed around the rink, going for lap after lap as she pushed off the ground.

 

‘Look mum! I’m like Usain bolt!’

 

‘That’s cute, dear. Come here. I’m going to get you.’

 

‘Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!’

 

Laughter rang throughout the rink as families came together. Kids and adults alike fell down onto the ice, some even pulling their partners down into the chaos with them. They had races, they won, they lost, but they had fun.

 

In the corner of her eyes Nayoung could make out Sejeong’s figure, hands up in the air so she could grab her attention. Blinking once, twice, she turned to her wife, tilting her head to the side. Instead of a verbal reply, her wife just held out 5 fingers, pushing it in the air.

 

Ah. She replied as well, giving her the okay sign. Picking up her bag, she went down the steps to the cafe, ready to buy the hot jam donuts that her daughter loves so much.

 

By the time she had the delicious goodies in hand, the loves of her life were sitting in their seats, shoes taken off so they could rest them.

 

“Is there any rashes on your skin?” Nayoung noted as she put the food down near Somi, picking her small legs up so she could inspect her feet.

 

“Nope!”

 

“Good,” she placed her feet back down. She went for one of the bags and pushed out one of the donuts, passing it to her daughter, “Don’t eat it too fast, and blow on it because it’s really hot, okay? I also have water in the bag if you need it.” With bag out of grasp, the mother leaned forward and swept some of her daughter’s fine hair out of the way.

 

Such is life. Even playing with Somi’s hair can bring such immense joy.

 

Beaming, she took her own bag and bit into the donut.

 

Somi wolfed down the food in record time, she was already on her third before her parents could finish their only one. By the time they were all finished Somi was a mess, jam splattered all over her cheeks and sugar littering her lips.

 

“When did I raise my daughter to be such a messy eater?” Nayoung leaned forward with a tissue, wiping at her daughter’s cheeks.

 

“It’s because it’s so delicious! Being messy makes it taste better!”

 

“Whatever you say kid.” Chuckling she wrapped the dirty tissue with another, then put it in the bag.

 

“We’re going to go in now, Sejeong. I’ll see to it that Somi doesn’t go too fast until her stomach settles properly.” Just like her daughter, she cleaned her wife’s mess, though she used her thumb. Picking up all that she could, she off the jam and sugar with a smile.

 

“You’re an idiot,” Sejeong commented, a blush staining her cheeks, “But that’s why I love you.”

 

“I know you are, but what am I?” Nayoung stood up, turning to Somi. “I bet I can finish a lap before you can. Whoever loses gets to do whatever the winner wants, alright?”

 

“Deal!” With those few words Somi was ready to put her skates back on and by the time Nayoung had her own on, her daughter was in the middle of the rink, spinning around.


Wouldn’t have life any other way, really.

 


 

You know I do have to say something. I used to think, 'oh, authors don't really need comments, they should just post their content and get on with their lives, the audience will like it regardless.' But I realised that comments do mean a lot, so if you could voice out your thoughts it would be incredible!