Chap11: Answers

Fixing My Broken Mate

Mark’s POV

 

Thank goodness he didn’t push me away! I was so scared when he left. I thought he would permanently run away. I couldn’t bear the thought of not being with him especially of him fearing me. I was barely able to make him get used to having me around and now this. I need to approach him and answer his questions carefully so I won’t freak him out.

 

We both ate the food Haejin hyung had sent in silence. He was sitting on his bed while I sat on his study table. I could barely taste the food coz my attention was zeroed on Jinyoung. I felt really guilty because he got hurt while trying to save himself and Luke. If only I was here this wouldn’t happen. I swear if I found out Leon is all behind this I will shred that good-for-nothing old dog to pieces!

 

A few moments later, we were both done eating. I took his plate and placed it with mine on his table then gave him a glass of water. He took it with shaky hands and his gaze was never meeting mine. I watched as he awkwardly sat on his bed, fiddling with his fingers nervously.

 

“Can I sit beside you?” I softly said after a while. Thankfully he scooted near the wall, giving me space so that I could sit on his bed. His bed was for a single person so despite me sitting sideways on the edge of the bed I could still reach and touch him if I wanted to.

 

Another silence passed before I spoke again. “Before I begin answering your questions, can you… can you please tell me what’s running on your mind? Tell me what you feel or anything at all and we’ll start from there.”

 

He didn’t say a word for the next two minutes and my mind started to think of the worst things like him telling me to never show my face again or that he will leave the pack and tell me to pretend I didn’t meet him. My bubble of thoughts was interrupted when I saw him bring his knees to his chest and hug it.

 

“I-I… I don’t know. I want to fear you and run away but I can’t. I don’t know why the thought of being away from you scares me more than finding out what you really are,” he murmured, confused. Then he raised his head and looked at me, his eyes were beaming with tears and filled with confusion. “Why can’t I hate you?”

 

I lost it when I saw a tear roll down his cheek. I instantly moved closer to him and pulled him in my chest. At first, he struggled and tried to push me away but his body was weaker than mine and I really have no intention to let him go so I held him tightly caged in my arms.

 

“I’m so sorry Jinyoung-ah. Like I said, I didn’t intend to reveal the truth to you this way but what is done is done. All I can do now is explain everything to you the best way I can and I need you to listen carefully.” I apologized as I continuously ran my hand on his back to soothe him. “And please don’t cry, it hurts me to know I caused you these. I promise everything will be alright,” I told him as I continue to rub his back in an attempt to calm him.

 

When his sobs died down and he wasn’t struggling in my embrace, I shifted a little to lean him on the pillow against the wall while I remained sitting upright beside him. I brushed my thumb and wiped the remaining tears on his face while smiling gently at him.

 

“Talk, I will listen,” he said, a lot calmer now. I took his hand on mine, finding something to anchor myself to him.

 

I took a deep breath and began my story.

 

“As what was revealed earlier, I am a werewolf. Werewolves live in packs and everyone in this town belongs to one pack and our family is called the Majestic Moon Pack. Each pack has is led by an Alpha followed by a Beta and a Third or Delta. I’m certain you heard your uncle earlier when he called me Alpha. I indeed lead this pack after my dad retired. Jaebum is my Beta and Jackson is my Third.

 

We werewolves are very protective and possessive in nature Jinyoung-ah, especially to those who belong to our pack. When your uncle brought you here we have already considered you part of our family that is why everyone here always looks after you. You may have not noticed it since you tend to be alone but everybody always makes sure you are safe wherever you wander around the pack territory. Are you still with me?” I asked when I noticed the confused look on his face.

 

“B-but I’m not a werewolf,” he said, his gaze finally met mine.

 

“You don’t to be a werewolf to be part of our family. Remember Luke is human too and so are a few more members of the pack. Most of them are either adoptive child of a werewolf couple or a mate of one of us,” I explained. I caressed his cheeks and moved closer.

 

“Mate?” he asked.

 

I nodded and took his hand on mine once again. “The next things I’m gonna tell you will explain everything that you feel towards me so listen carefully, okay?” he nodded.

 

“Each werewolf has a mate, his better half, and eternal partner. Our mates are chosen by the Moon Goddess and by the time we reach 18 we start to feel the pull towards our mate. We can’t choose who to mate with, the Moon Goddess chooses the best person for us and we spend months, years, or even decades of our lives looking for them.

 

There are three ways to confirm if you have found your mate – through smell, sight, and touch. Mates have these unique smells that no one would be able to recognize except the two mated beings. When you think you finally identified him or her, you can further strengthen the possibility when both of your eyes meet – you feel the sudden pull, the sudden want to be near and be with him or her. Lastly, once you have touched, you can feel the spark-like electricity shooting all over your body sending your nerves into overdrive. It feels like sensory overload and you will continuously feel the urge to hold your mate and be as close as possible.”

 

After telling him about the mates, I watched closely as his eyes began to shift unsteadily like he’s trying to remember things. I stopped talking and waited for his reaction but I kept caressing his hand. Then his head snapped up, eyes meeting mine in a staring battle.

 

“H-have you felt those before?” he hesitantly asked.

 

I smiled smugly.

 

“Yeah, have you?” I asked back. His eyes instantly widened and he avoided my gaze. I could see that he’s trying to process the things he has been feeling since I met him and now he’s making sense of them.

 

Jinyoung bit his lip and closed his eyes. I tilted his chin up, moving closer – the closest I can get given our current positions.

 

“Open your eyes Jinyoung-ah,” I told him. His breaths were heavy and it took him a whole minute before finally showing me those beautiful orbs once again. “Now tell me what exactly did you feel when you first saw me,” I commanded. He visibly swallowed and took a deep breath.

 

“I felt… weird, like I want to s-submit to you. You also smelt weird like…”

 

“Strawberries and coffee?” I supplied and his eyes were filled with surprise once again. On the other hand, I was grinning like an idiot.

 

“You are a smart guy Jinyoung-ah, I’m sure by now you realized what we are to each other. This is the very reason why I didn’t tell you immediately coz I was scared less that you will reject me. That and the fact that you also have attachment issues so I thought it would be better if I can win your trust first. I’m so sorry it took me long to tell you,” I explained further while taking both of his hands and kissed his knuckles.

 

Jinyoung’s eyes were still wide and in shock and for a moment I was scared coz he seems to be contemplating either to stay or run away.

 

“Being mates… what does that imply?” he asked.

 

“It means you will be my better half and together we will lead this pack. Usually they will call the Alpha’s mate Luna but since you’re a guy they will call you Alpha as well. I’m gonna have to claim you and mark you so everyone, even other wolves from other packs would know that you are mine and mine alone,”

 

“M-mark me?”

 

“Yeah, are you sure you want to hear this now? I don’t to overwhelm you with so much information,” I told him and he seems to consider it for a moment.

 

“Tell me. I need to know what I’m getting myself into,” he muttered and the thought of educating him about mating made me excited down south.

 

“Okay then,” I agreed. “But can I hold you?” I asked. He watched me silently for a few seconds before he shyly nodded.

 

Once again I shifted us both on the bed and this time I was the one leaning on the wall and I made him sit between my legs, his back resting on the pillow that I placed on my chest down to my groin to hide my excitement. This way he won’t be seeing me looking at him the whole time and feel embarrassed to talk to me. I held his torso and though at first he was so tensed, he eventually relaxed allowing me to hold him better.

 

“So the mating process,” I started. “Like I said at one point I’m gonna have to mark you and by that I mean biting you over here,” I said, touching the junction where his shoulder and neck meets. I felt him shiver. “When we are fully mated and bonded you can feel my emotions and I can feel yours. That way I would know when you are in trouble or something is bothering you.”

 

“Won’t that hurt?” He asked.

 

“We do it during so it wouldn’t be too painful,” I honestly told him and he instantly stiffened. “Hey, relax okay? This is why I asked you if you want to know it now. I don’t want to overwhelm you.” I rubbed his sides to help him further relax. He sighed and took deep breaths till he composed himself once again.

 

“Those wolves in the lake, why are their eyes red?” he asked, changing the subject of our conversation.

 

“They are what we call rogues. They are feral wolves and are very dangerous. When you happen to see one, tell me or any other pack members, okay?” I replied.

 

“Are they born that way?” He asked again.

 

“No, they’re not. They were once normal wolves like us. When a wolf is rejected by his or her mate he or she becomes a rogue due to depression and the pain brought by being rejected. It can also happen when a wolf losses his pack or when they are kicked out from the pack. When one is exposed in too much sadness, loneliness and depression that’s when they become rogues.”

 

“Why would one reject his mate? Is that possible?”

 

“Of course it is. It can be because of so many reason’s Jinyoung-ah like when you found out you are mated with someone who is heartless and merciless or you are mated to someone who has hurt you deeply before. There are plenty of possibilities,” I answered and after a few moments I added, “You are not rejecting me, are you?”

 

Jinyoung turned his head sideways in an attempt to look at me. To my surprise, he hesitantly placed his hands on top of mine on his torso and squeezed it. “No,” he said. “I don’t think I can do that,” he admitted and I released a heavy sigh as relief flooded on me. I hugged him tighter and kissed the back of his head while whispering a series of thank yous. God, I feel so much better.

 

“Can I ask you something?” he queried. I hummed and nodded in response. “If I, uhm. If I let you m-mark me, when are you gonna do it?” he stuttered and I could picture his face blushing badly.

 

“Full moon, two weeks from now. For our family, marking one’s mate needs to be on full moon so if you say yes, I have two weeks to gain your trust and make you comfortable around me.” Silence passed, I could hear my heartbeat racing in my chest. I held his chin and tilted it sideways till I could see his beautiful eyes. “Will you let me mark and claim you? To finally and officially be mine?”

 

Silence.

 

He sighed.

 

I gulped.

 

“Y-yes, I’ll be yours.”

 

I felt like a heavyweight was lifted off of my chest. He’s not rejecting me and he wants me to claim him! Damn, I feel like floating right now!

 

I expressed my gratitude by hugging him tighter and whispered words of thanks repeatedly. He let me cuddle him while he played with fingers on top of his belly. We were both contentedly enjoying each other’s company until a knock was heard from his door.

 

“Come in,” I said. The door opened revealing Haejin hyung in his pajamas. For a moment he stood frozen by the door and watched us. Realizing that we finally settled our issues and were happily cuddled he beamed at us.

 

“I am sorry to interrupt Alpha, I just came to inform you that Luke is already asleep and Jaebum and Youngjae are with him. You can stay the night here if you want,” Haejin hyung informed.

 

“Thanks hyung and yes, I’d like to stay for the night.” I smiled back. I want to spend this night holding my dear mate in my arms.

 

“Very well then. I suggest you both take a rest as it has been a tiring day. I’ll see you in the morning.” And with that, he closed the door once again.

 

After Haejin hyung’s visit, Jinyoung and I proceeded with our nightly routine before going to bed like brushing and freshening up. When we were through I led him back to his bed and helped him settle under the blanket before doing the same.

 

His bed, like I said, is good for a single person only so we were closely pressed with each other. Not that I’m complaining of course. We both laid on our sides, facing each other and his head was tucked under my chin. I can feel his breath fanning over the thin fabric of my shirt.

 

Minutes passed, I could tell he wasn’t asleep yet.

 

“Can’t sleep? Is your leg bothering you?” I asked worriedly.

 

“No, it’s fine,” he replied.

 

“Then why aren’t you asleep yet?”

 

“Just thinking.”

 

“About?”

 

“You,”

 

Well, that surprised me.

 

I momentarily pulled away to look at his face but he refused to resurface from my chest.

 

“What about me?” I queried.

 

“I just realized why I always wanted for you to hold me, why I always feel calm when I smell you or when I see you when in fact I have dismissed and hated the presence of people around me,” he admitted. He snuggled closer to my chest after saying it and I reciprocated by hugging him tighter.

 

“I’m always here Jinyoung-ah. Whenever you feel like being held or whenever you want to see me and cuddle. Just tell me and I will stop everything and come to you. You and Luke are my priorities now, and I will always put you both above everything,” I stated, kissing the top of his head. “And thank you for not rejecting me. I was scared you’ll leave me.”

 

“I won’t leave just as long as you don’t leave me too. Just no more secrets please. I don’t like being kept in the dark of what is happening around me.”

 

“No more secrets, I promise,’ I told him.

 

“Thank you hyung,” he replied and minutes later I can feel his breathing became steady and his body melted further in my arms, an indication that he was already asleep.

 

“I love you Jinyoungie.”