one

ways of thinking
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Hayi is flawlessly perfect in many ways. She is the ideal daughter any parents could ask for. The exemplary student any teachers could ask for. She doesn't lack in any ways. Hayi's the living definition of perfection. Being perfect was something she was always taught to be. The one with the perfect grades, the perfect family and the perfect friends. She was taught to always keep a clean image of herself, for the preservation of her family's reputation.

This morning, however, she was running late. Hayi was never late, no matter how sick or how tired she was, being late or missing school was never an option she could envisage. Neither did she. Hayi never thought about bunking school, knowing very well the importance of it. She has always been taught and reminded about it countless times by her parents, educators and the whole society in general.

Being the punctual girl she is, she didn't understand how she could have slept in. "How could I?" She thought as she ran out of her apartment to reach the elevator. Pressing on the button, she made her way in as the doors opened.

"Hold it open"

Hayi turned around as her eyes distinguished a tall silhouette running towards the elevator. As he got closer, the girl noticed who it was. "The thug" 

She hurried to press on the button to close the elevator. She didn't want to wait for him and be more late than she already was. Nevertheless, the boy was faster and managed to get in just a few seconds before the doors shut close.

 "Didn't thought you'd do this Hayi" the boy spoke as he squated down to catch up his breath.      

Hayi was surprised to hear her name coming out of his mouth. But after all, they've been living in the same building together for the past year, he probably heard it sometimes just like she heard his name once or twice.

"Sorry, I'm in a hurry"  

 "So am I"

Jiwon is totally the opposite of Hayi. He isn't the best son nor the best student. In fact, he's not even a student. He stopped after high school, stating that he needed long term vacation. Hayi's mother calls him the 'drop out' or the one with no future. Jiwon isn't the kind of person Hayi's mother appreciate, he's someone she rather dislikes. Lack of education, lack of manners, plenty of differences... there's numerous reasons. And perhaps, Hayi always steered clear of him because of theses reasons. She was taught not to hang out with individuals from a different social class alias him and his friends. And Hayi has always followed that rule imposed by her parents.

Both waited in silence next to each other. For Hayi, it's awkward but for Jiwon it isn't. He's the friendly type, therefore getting accustomed with someone new is just a matter of seconds. The elevator made a strange and dreadful noise before stopping. Hayi waited for the door to open, but it didn't.

She panicked. The boy laughed.

"I think it's broke" Jiwon noticed not showing a tiny bit of fear or worry in his voice.

"It can't be" Hayi snapped nervously as she smacked loudly on the door in hopes it opens.

"Hayi don't" Jiwon stopped her as he reached for her arms. "It won't do anything, someone will try to take the elevator and he'll notice that it i

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter