Final

Milk Boy Sungjong
 
FINAL
MILK BOY SUNGJONG AND CITY BOY MYUNGSOO
Sungjong was content with his life, unlike many other 16 year olds.

  While many people his age yearned to see beyond the country at what the city could offer to their mundane lifestyle, Sungjong loved life in the countryside. It was simple, predictable and quiet. Away from mass pollution of car fumes and the rumble of cars from highways, Gwanju was somewhere that Sungjong never wanted to leave. 

 

  Especially since he couldn’t leave his family.

 

  Sungjong’s family consisted of three members: Him, his mother, and his younger brother. His father had passed away three years after his younger brother, Seonkyu was born. He had been killed after having gotten called back to the army, a clean shot to the head. Although it wasn't much reassurance, Sungjong was glad his father didn't have to offer too long alone on the battlefield. 

 

  Sungjong could still remember the day his father had left. He had been all smiles, promising to bring back souvenirs from the city as he waved at his family, that he would be back in a month. A month was all it took for him to not come back anymore.

 

  His mother had struggled to bring both Sungjong and Seonkyu up on her own, spending most of her time in her bakery or taking on some other part time job. Sungjong had matured in a short timespan after his father’s death, cooking for his younger brother and resisting whenever he saw a pretty stuffed toy on display. He had seen the developed eyebags under his mother’s eyes, and knew better than to add anymore stress onto her.

 

  In fact, he knew that he had to help her. That’s why at the age of eight, Sungjong started working at the shop, helping his mother run errands and bargain with the market sellers for ingredients. His mother had been afraid that it would be too much on the boy but once she saw Singsong’s marks, she kept mum about it. She appreciated the extra help, it gave her more time to sleep and for extra jobs.

 

  At the age of ten Sungjong noticed his mother’s growing depression and distressed about how he could help her. It was when Sungjong was up late at night doing assessments when it hit him.

 

  The next day he went around the neighbourhood, knocking on doors and asking parents if he would like them to tutor their children. Now, if it were any other person the parents would have refused because really, how could a mere ten year old teach? But Sungjong was not just any ten year old. He was known around the neighbourhood for skipping a grade and having the best marks in his class. He had the marks every parents wanted their child to have.

 

  That is how Sungjong’s ‘Enterprise’, as he would like to call it, started. He charged a fair sum of $20 per hour. It had started with one student, who was barely passing with a 50%. However, with Sungjong as his tutor, his marks had skyrocketed to a 90% and soon, many people were asking for Sungjong to help their children.

 

  Everyday after school, he would spend his time until eight at night tutoring, before running back home for dinner. Every night when he passed his mother the money, pride would swell in his heart at the tears that welled in her eyes, glad that he could help his family. He knew that the $100 he brought back everyday really helped his mother, and he was content.

 

  And then it happened. Sungjong was 15 and had been on his way home when he fainted. The neighbour had found him sprawled on the ground and carried him back to his house. Being a doctor, his neighbour had said that he had fainted due to fatigue and overexertion. 

 

 That was the last night his mother ever allowed him to tutor people. When Sungjong tried to argue, she had said that they were okay, that she would be able to provide them three meals a day. She insisted that her bakery was fairing alright, that Sungjong did not need to worry.

 

 But Sungjong did not want them to live their life everyday eating fish and bread with the occasional soup. He preferred the way life was when he brought in money that allowed his brother to buy candy and his mother to afford better flour for her bread. So he set out for another job and became… A milk boy.

                     

  ~                                                            

  Sungjong followed a strict schedule. Wake up at 4:30, start work by 5, make his rounds and be back home by 6. It would then be followed by a long day at school before Sungjong would come back at 3, do his homework, help out a little at the bakery and collect the bottles at 8 before going to sleep at 9:30. 

 

  Some scorned at his day by day life but Sungjong liked it. Made him more organised. He did hate surprises, after all, and this schedule he swore by helped him avoid any of those.

 

  That’s why at the first ring, Sungjong was slamming his hand down on his alarm clock, swinging his legs over his bed and stretching with a huge yawn. He folded his blanket like the good child he was and got dressed after brushing his teeth and using breath spray as extra measure. He couldn’t talk to people with bad smelling breath, after all. It would scare his business away.

 

  He got dressed in his milk boy outfit and walked out of his house, smiling when he saw the wagon full of milk bottles in front of his house and Dongwoo waving to him. Every morning, Dongwoo, the boss’s son, would deliver the wagon to Sungjong’s house, having exclaimed that a sixteen year old shouldn’t have to wake up at a more ungodly hour then he already was. And though Sungjong never showed it, he was grateful for the extra hour of sleep it gave him.

 

  “Thanks Hyung.” Sungjong said as he straddled the horse, patting the horse’s mane lovingly. Dongwoo laughed loudly, almost too loudly given the time it was.

 

  “My pleasure! I will come back to collect him later.” Dongwoo said, before waving as his horse galloped the way it had came. Sungjong shook his head in amusement, before grabbing the reigns of the horse.

 

  “Let’s go, Majesty.”

 

  Yes, Sungjong named the horse.

~

 

  Sungjong stopped the horse, frowning at the last house. The place had been vacant for awhile but today, the lights were on. Sungjong vaguely remembered hearing the market aunties gossip about a new family moving in from the city and sighed, grabbing two milk bottles from the wagon and walking towards the house. He knocked on the door and was met with a worn out looking woman. 

 

  “Yes, what do you want?” She snapped, and Sungjong almost flinched from the harsh tone.

 

  “Would you like some milk? It’s freshly milked! One bottle is $4.” Sungjong asked in the most cheerful voice he could manage. He saw the woman eye him up and down before sighing, turning around. Sungjong had thought that she had refused him, only to find out he was wrong when she shouted, “Myungsoo, get your down and pay for milk!”

 

  Sungjong could only blink before a guy about his age appeared, rubbing his eyes sleepily. It could be because Sungjong was deprived of eye candy after living in the countryside all his life but Sungjong swore that when his eyes first landed on the guy, his heart stopped. It was as if the guy was perfection himself. A defined jawline and a handsome face; he was perfect.

 

  “Milk?” The boy asked sleepily. His caught sight of Sungjong and immediately seemed more awake, all but skipping to the door as he asked how much one bottle was.

 

  “F-four dollars for one.” Sungjong stammered nervously.The guy smiled and reached for a wallet on the table, taking out $8 before handing it to Sungjong. Sungjong thanked him and made to move away when a hand stopped him.

 

  “How does this milk thing work?” The guy asked. Sungjong checked his watch, distressing a little when he realised that if he stayed anymore, he was going to be late.

 

  “Sorry, I have to go!” Sungjong exclaimed before he ran towards Majesty and straddled her, riding home with his heart beating fast, thoughts full of a guy names Myungsoo. He gave the remaining milk to his mother without a word, almost tripping over the stairs on his way up. 

~

 

  As said before, Sungjong hates surprises. That’s why when his teacher sprang on him that he was to show the new kid around for school without any prior notice, he had been more than annoyed, though on the outside he smiled like the model student he was. Sungjong sighed as he sat in the principal’s office, waiting for the new student. The guy was apparently in his class, which meant that they were inevitably going to sit together in class.

 

  Sungjong looked towards the door as it opened, revealing somebody that made his breath hitch. It was Myungsoo, the guy from before, and it seemed like he realised who Sungjong was as well.

 

  “Milk boy!” Myungsoo exclaimed, pointing a finger at Sungjong. Sungjong blushed as all the attention shifted to him, clearing his throat as he stood up. 

 

  “My name is Sungjong and I will be showing you around the school today. If you will, please follow me.” Sungjong said in as formal a voice he could manage, walking past Myungsoo and out the door. He heard quick footsteps behind him until Myungsoo finally caught up with him.

 

  “What’s with you, are you always in a hurry?” Myungsoo asked. Sungjong ignored him as he showed the older boy around, ending their tour outside their classroom.

 

  “This is the classroom we will be having all our classes. Now if you will excuse me…” Sungjong trailed off as he reached a hand out to open the door, only for his heart to skip a beat when he felt warm fingers circling around his wrist, unlike earlier when Sungjong’s sleeve had separated both their skins from touching.

 

  “You haven’t answered my question, how does the milk business work?” He asked. Sungjong gulped as the older’s eyes bore into him.

  “Ask anybody around here, I deliver milk to everybody.” Sungjong said stiffly, trying to free his hand but to no avail.

 

  “Then… What’s your name?” Myungsoo asked. Sungjong sighed, looking at him. 

 

  “Lee Sungjong, the person that really wants to punch you and will act on impulse if you don't let go of the arm.”

~

 

 Sungjong sighed as he pulled the small wagon behind him. He picked up empty bottles after empty bottles, body feeling heavy. For some reason, the day had been extremely tiring on Sungjong, making said guy rub the sleep from his eyes. 

 

  The day had mostly consisted of Sungjong trying not to roll his eyes at the way his classmates fawned over Myungsoo, questioning him about his life in the city. Sungjong could practically see the hearts in everybody’s eyes as they looked at the older. Speaking of Myungsoo…

 

  Sungjong stopped outside said’s house and frowned when he noticed that there were no milk bottles outside. He groaned quietly as he walked towards the front door, knocking on it for the second time that day.

 

  “Ye- Sungjong?” Myungsoo stopped, surprised. Sungjong’s eyes widened slightly, before he looked away awkwardly.

 

  “Um… May I have your milk bottles?” Sungjong asked. He watched as the older cocked his head to one side cutely and had to stop himself from dying right there.

 

  “We have to return the milk bottles?” Myungsoo questioned when he came back with two freshly washed bottles. Sungjong nodded as he took both of them, placing it in the wagon.

 

  “Didn’t I tell you to find out from the others?”

 

  “I only wanted to find out from you.” The words made Sungjong flush as ducked his head, walking away from the house. He felt eyes boring into his back before he paused, turning around to shout a quick “I will be here at 5:45!” before hurriedly running away.

 

  He didn't get to see the small smile that adorned Myungsoo’s lips as he closed the door, making a point to set the alarm for 5:40.

~

 

  “Thank you.” Sungjong mumbled as he took the money from Myungsoo. He had not actually counted on the older boy to be awake and waiting expectantly outside his door for him. So it had come as a shock when he noticed Myungsoo waving to him like those petrol kiosk machines. 

 

  “No, thank you,” Myungsoo beamed, emphasising the ‘you’, “I really love milk. And I really love bread. My mother loves bread too. And my father, and my brother. Especially my mother. Do you know where I can get awesome bread?” Sungjong blinked at the sudden change of topic but nodded his head hesitantly.

 

  “My mother owns a bakery. To get there you can-“

  “How about you bring me there? I kind of need it now, my mother gets cranky without hr bread.” Myungsoo asked sheepishly, and Sungjong sighed.

 

 “You can ride the horse with me, I’m on the way back anyway.”

 

  Let’s just say Sungjong was not ready to feel Myungsoo’s hands wrapping around his torso, nor was he ready for Seonkyu to ask if Myungsoo was his boyfriend.

~

  

  ‘My mother really likes your mother’s bread’ 

 

  Sungjong stared at the note, side glancing the person who had passed it to him. Myungsoo just smiled at him.

 

  They had not once spoken to each other in school. Well, Myungsoo had tried but Sungjong had pointedly ignored him to the point where the former had resorted to writing notes. Most notes he had ignored but this one… This one was different.

 

  He loved it when his mother’s bread was praised and before he knew it, he was picking up his pen. In the corner of his eyes, he saw Myungsoo’s head snap in his direction, causing a small smile to tug on his lips.

 

  ‘Thank you, I will tell her that.’ Sungjong wrote, passing the note back to Myungsoo. Myungsoo smiled brightly, immediately grabbing a new piece of paper and writing something down, passing it to Sungjong. Sungjong read it, blushing furiously. 

 

  ‘Let me ride your horse with you to get bread every morning, okay? ^~^’

 

  Sungjong could only scribble an ‘okay’ before scooting his chair away from Myungsoo, a quiet indication not to pass anymore notes. But it didn't bother Myungsoo, because the small agreement Sungjong had written down made an idiotic smile plaster itself onto his face.

~

 

  There was a huge status difference between Sungjong and Myungsoo. While Sungjong was the loner nerd, Myungsoo was the popular kid, always flocked by a group of friends. That’s why in school they never talked much, save for the subtle passing of notes during classes. It wasn’t that they couldn't talk, it was that Sungjong wanted to keep his distance in school, content with his status and not wanting attention drawn to him.

 

  Outside of school though, it was different. In the morning, Sungjong would deliver milk and Myungsoo would open the door. They would then go to the bakery where Sungjong’s mother was preparing bread and Sungjong would have to smack Myungsoo’s hands away from trying to eat the dough. It was different in the sense that Myungsoo and Sungjong would chat while they waited for Sungjong’s mother to finish the bread for her biggest fan; Myungsoo’s mother.

 

 After school Myungsoo would drag Sungjong into his house during the latter’s rounds and introduce Sungjong to his family, making Sungjong take part in a game of twister with him and his brother, Moonsoo. 

 

 Outside of school it was just different and although Sungjong would like to convince himself it was okay, he was worried. The last thing he wanted was to get too close to Myungsoo only for him to leave him. There was a reason Sungjong, such a likeable person, was a loner. And that was because he pushed people away but this time… Myungsoo was too idiotic to ignore. He just hoped it wasn't the wrong choice.

 

 “Why do you push people away, Sungjong?” Myungsoo asked one day as they both sat outside his house, looking up at the sky. Sungjong stiffened, immediately standing up and walking to the wagon, heart beating erratically. Nobody… Nobody had ever seen through Sungjong’s act so easily before and Sungjong was second guessing his thoughts about getting close to Myungsoo.

 

  “Sungjong, wait-“ Myungsoo called, and against Sungjong’s will, his body stilled. Before Myungsoo could say anything else, however, Sungjong was taking a deep breath.

 

  “I’m scared of people going away. My father he- you should know by now without asking that he’s dead and I just- Can’t handle the thought of people leaving me.” Sungjong blurted out and for a moment, they stood in silence. The next thing Sungjong knew, arms were wrapping around him and his face was pressed against Myungsoo’s chest as he cried.

 

  “Don’t worry… I won’t leave you.”

 

  Sungjong, despite his mind protesting, allowed his heart to trust Myungsoo just this once.

~

 

  Sungjong had hoped that even with what happened the night before, they would still act the same around each other. Who was he kidding, though.

 

  The next morning, Myungsoo had dragged his mother out of bed and since the horse was only big enough for two people, walked to the bakery. And from there, Myungsoo’s mother chatted amiably with Sungjong’s, while Myungsoo insisted on going to school with Sungjong.

 

  Sungjong had panicked, afraid that people would catch them together. Yet, all thoughts disappeared when Myungsoo grabbed his wrist and dragged him along, mind focused on not combusting in front of the older.

 

  And, it only got worse from then.

 

  Myungsoo never left his side the whole day. Not when his friends asked him out, not when Krystal begged him to eat with them at their table like normal, and not when people stared judgingly at them.

 

  Sungjong felt embarrassed but at the same time, his heart fluttered whenever Myungsoo laughed at something he said and he didn't have the strength in him to tell Myungsoo to stop whatever he was doing.

 

  He did, however, have that strength when he was collecting the bottles that night.

 

  “You can’t just- Just do that! People will get the wrong idea!” Sungjong insisted as he snatched the bottles, not once looking at Myungsoo.

  “And what exactly, is a wrong idea?” Myungsoo asked nonchalantly, hands in his jacket pockets as he leaned against the doorframe. Sungjong stared at him before cursing internally because damn, did Myungsoo look y.

 

  “That we are friends!” Sungjong blurted out, and the look that flashed across Myungsoo’s face had Sungjong sighing, leaning against the wagon. 

 

  “That came out wrong. Look, being friends with you will bring attention I don’t appreciate so I would appreciate if you don't show that we are close.” Sungjong mumbled, and Myungsoo let out a frustrated sound that had Sungjong looking up.

 

  “Look, I rather hang out with you then the people I usually hang out with. We can hang out on the roof or something where nobody will stare so… Please?” Myungsoo asked, eyes turning hopeful.

 

  Sungjong agreed, because those eyes made his heart flutter and stomach somersault and just… Sungjong couldn't resist them.

~

 

  They grew closer. Undeniably close. So close that Sungjong no longer reprimanded Myungsoo when the older pressed their thighs together when they laid on the roof, nor when Myungsoo stole a bite of Sungjong’s bread.

 

  And to Sungjong’s horror, it was because he had fallen for Myungsoo. He was just in love with the older boy. The way he smiled, the way he closed his eyes as the sun shone on his face and the way he wouldn’t stop bothering him. Sungjong loved Myungsoo.

 

  But he had never told Myungsoo, never even once dreamed of it. He had already entrusted Myungsoo with their friendship, and he did not want to confess only for Myungsoo to leave him. 

 

  There were actually a few times Sungjong wanted to confess but he never got around to do it, afraid that if he gave Myungsoo his heart, the latter would drop it to the floor and it would break into pieces that he would this time never be able to piece together.

 

  But it was a good thing he never confessed. Especially with what was going to happen.

~

 

  “Hey, got a minute?” a sickly sweet voice rang from behind him. Sungjong jumped, turning around to come face to face with Krystal. He cocked an eyebrow, shrugging his shoulders.

 

  “Uh… yeah, what can I help you with?” He asked. All of a sudden, the smile on Krystal’s face vanished as a fist was in his stomach, a hand stopping him from making a noise.

 

  “Stay away from Myungsoo, if not your little bakery goes up in flames.” Krystal was a daughter of one of the more wealthier people in the neighbourhood and with the fore of the nails that had dug into his stomach, he knew the other was not kidding.

~

 

  It was a painful process, separating himself from Myungsoo. It was painful to even think about it, honestly. But Sungjong knew how much the bakery meant to his mother, what it meant. It was the last thing his father left her, after all.

 

  So, with a heavy hearts filled with thoughts of his mother and none for himself, he started the process of building walls high up around his heart. At first it was not responding to Myungsoo as they walked back home after the encounter. 

 

  And then, it became waking up at 4 so that he could start his rounds from Myungsoo’s house all the way back so that he would avoid the younger. It became asking for a change of seating with Krystal so that the older boy wouldn't question him and packing his stuff before the bell rang so that he could run away quickly.

 

  It hurt, of course it did. Sungjong noticed all the looks he received from Myungsoo. The looks of confusion, hurt, eyes that showed that he wanted to understand and that all Sungjong had to do was go to him and explain.

 

  But Sungjong couldn’t, not when seeing Myungsoo in his true habitat, surrounded by people who were popular like him made Sungjong realise how much he was holding the latter back. So all Sungjong could do was curl up on his bed with his arms holding his knees to his chest as he tried desperately not to fall apart.

 

  It was one night when Sungjong was clearing bottles when it happened. Sungjong bent down to pick up the bottles when he noticed a sticky note on one of them. With a palpitating and yearning heart, he carefully store the sticky note off and read it.

 

  ‘You know you can tell me anything, right?’

 

  Sungjong looked up at Myungsoo’s window where the older stood looking down at him. Sungjong quickly looked away as he placed the two bottles in the wagon and took off, slipping the post it in his pocket. 

 

  “Sungjong, why does Myungsoo never come around anymore? Moonsoo has been the one sent by his mother recently so I was wondering if both of you got into a fight. You know you can tell me anything, right?” Sungjong’s mother asks when he reaches home, and Sungjong’s heart clenches from the familiar words. He nods wordlessly before heading up to his room, a hand pressed against his mouth to stifle his sobs.

 

  The next morning Sungjong woke up at 4:45, which meant he was late. He sprang out of bed immediately, heart frantic when he realised that he wouldn't have time to reach Myungsoo’s house when the older wasn't awake.

 

  As he knocked on door after door, he prayed that Myungsoo would still be sleeping. But when he reached, Myungsoo was already waiting for him. It physically pained Sungjong to see the way Myungsoo lit up after seeing him. It made him realise how dead Myungsoo had looked the past few weeks.

 

  “Here are your two bottles.” Sungjong said stiffly, placing the bottles in front of Myungsoo’s feet before holding his hand out for the money. But for the first time, Myungsoo didn’t seem interested in the milk as his hands grabbed Sungjong’s, causing the younger’s breath to hitch.

  They stayed like that for awhile, Myungsoo’s frantic, hurt eyes searched Sungjong’s blank one as the latter fought to remain calm.

 

  “You read the note, right? You know you can tell me anything, right?” Myungsoo asked, trailing off unsurely. Sungjong fought back tears as he took a deep breath.

 

  ‘Please Myungsoo,’ he begged inside, ‘Don’t do this’

 

  “It will be eight dollars, sir.” Sungjong repeated.

 

  “Sungjong,” Myungsoo all but whimpered, causing Sungjong’s resolve to break as he clenched his eyes, head down as he tried to tug his hand out of Myungsoo’s grip.

 

  “Why?” Sungjong asked softly, causing Myungsoo to look up at him, confused. 

 

  “Why won’t you just enjoy having me out of your life? Why must you pretend you still want to be friends?” Sungjong choked out, tears flowing down his cheek as he finally stilled, just standing there.

 

  “Sungjong… What are you saying?” Myungsoo asked, tugging Sungjong closer to him. The latter snorted, his free hand coming to wipe his tears away. He guessed this is where he came clean.

 

  “T-the reason I started avoiding you was because Krystal threatened me but honestly, isn’t it better this way? Y-you are hanging out with people who don't pull you down and actually are of your popularity status! And you won't be judged for being with me and life is so much better for you and-“

 

  “And you aren't in that life,” Myungsoo cut off, staring at Sungjong with tear filled but firm eyes, “You say my life is better but you aren't ing in it right now.” Myungsoo stood up, placing on hand on Sungjong’s cheek, using his thumb to wipe away his tears.

 

  Sungjong’s heart stopped for a moment and he tried to slap Myungsoo’s hand away, but he was insistent.

 

  “Please, lets not do this. I’ve just gotten used to not having you in my life.” Sungjong whispered and the next thing Sungjong knew, Myungsoo was pulling him in, so that he was pressed against a firm chest.

 

  “You say that, but I’m not used to not having you in my life. The past few weeks have been hell without you and I can’t do it. I love you so much I don’t want to let you go.” Myungsoo whispered, causing Sungjong’s eyes to widen. Sungjong brought his arms to wrap around Myungsoo’s torso, pressing his face against Myungsoo’s chest as tears stained the older’s shirt.

 

  “I love you too.”

 

  The reaction that Myungsoo gave had Sungjong laughing. He reached a hand up to poke Myungsoo’s cheek gently, before he was pulled in for a kiss that held emotions that will never be able to be put into words.

 

  They kissed under the rising sun, in front of Myungsoo’s house with milk bottles at their feet and god, it was perfect in every way possible.

 

  They parted and smiled, leaning their foreheads against each other’s as they stared shyly into each other’s eyes.

~

 

  On their way to school, with their fingers laced with each other’s, Myungsoo asked the question.

 

  “So, what did Krystal threaten you with?” It had Sungjong slapping his head, fear filling him.

 

  “To burn down the bakery! Oh no,” Sungjong groaned, pressing his palms to his eyes. Myungsoo blinked, before laughing.

 

  “Hey, its fine. My father is her father’s boss, so I will tell my father to give him a warning.”

 

  Sungjong looked up at the older in disbelief.

 

  “You mean the past few weeks were for nothing?!” He exclaimed. Myungsoo chuckled and kiss him lightly on the lips, causing him to blush and look away.

 

  “Nah. I guess its okay, since you're mine now.”

 

  “Shut up!” Sungjong shouted, hands coming up to cover his cheeks.

 

  “You know you love me!~”

 

  “SHUT UP!"

A/N: A/N: I hope you enjoyed it!:) Let me know what you think okay?:D