Chapter 2

Almond Milk

 

PLEASE READ A/N: I am SOOOOO Sorry for the long wait! I had some trouble with my laptop and lost a majority of the stories I am working on. I have to re-write a big part of my stories I hope you understand that it all was a bit frustrating and saddening and I was lacking motivation to do anything. BUT I'm back and I am determined to not let it get me down. Luckily I had some chapters of this story saved as a draft somewhere on tumblr. I hope you enjoy~~~

Feedback is always encouraging appreciated <3

I hope you have a wonderful week everybody!

////////////////////////////////////////////////

-“I can’t believe you were the that won”, Jongin groaned as Chanyeol struggled with his crutches a few feet behind him. 

That idiot had broken his leg at a swivel chair race in their dorms corridor against Sehun and Chen. His gangly legs got caught under the chair, which lead to a nasty looking crash down the stairs.

-“It’s nice to see how patient you are with a friend that is in severe pain”, his best friend retorted.

Jongin only snorted in response. He was glad he stayed out of pretty much any idea Chen and Sehun had. If he got injured now, he could forget about finishing his performing arts diploma in time.

-“Jongin just stop walking so fast it’s not like they’re gonna close in five minutes or something”, the maroon haired boy whined as he tried to catch up.

Maybe Jongin was walking a little faster than usual because he was on his way to see a certain heart-shaped smile again. It’s been two weeks since he last had been at the café because being a double-major was taking its toll on the young dancer. He’d spent the whole weekend locked in his room cramming for his psychology class trying not cry over how many papers he still had to finish.

The doorbell chimed when Jongin held the door open for his roommate.  As soon as he glanced up his eyes met a familiar shock of onyx hair and a surprised pair of big, round eyes. Jongins heart fluttered a little too quickly in his chest.
In the back of his head a little voice told him it was ridiculous to be this affected by a person he barley spoke more than five sentences with but tried to ignore it. The barista made him feel like a teenager having a big fat crush for the first time- which was a welcomed change seeing the pressure of approaching mid-terms and the fear of overall future life decisions.

As the two students waited for their order Chanyeol was rambling about something supposedly exciting that had happened with his new project partner. Jongin didn’t really listen because he was too busy staring at Kyungsoo doing his job.

It was frustrating. He thought that he probably never would get closer to the other- At least not as close as he’d want to. The student could never be sure if the older also was into men and he couldn’t really think of a subtle way to ask about it- Especially since he didn’t even have the guts to ask the other to hang out casually. It was close to a miracle that he somehow managed to have casual talks once in a while considering Jongins “problem”.
He let out an audible sigh. Jongin was trapped in an impasse and there was no visible way out. To sum up: The situation kind of .

The sudden shrill of annoying pop music ripped through the calm atmosphere of the café, making Jongin jump in his seat and awake from his thoughts.

-“Oh, that’s my project partner…I’ll have to take that one I’ll be back in a minute” Chanyeol hastily explained as he rushed outside to talk, well, if you could call hurriedly limping on crutches “rushing”, “Hey, Baek”, was all the other heard before the wooden-framed glass door closed behind his best friend.

-“Here’s your order”, a velvety smooth voice said right next to Jongin almost making him jump out of his seat again.

-“Thanks”, the student softly replied. The sudden proximity to the barista made the dancers insides burn and all of a sudden it was really hard to breath. A whiff of the others scent caught in the youngers nose and made his stomach do a triple flip. He wanted to talk to the other so badly but the problem was his tongue just wouldn’t cooperate. Internally he kicked himself for being such a ing coward.

 Just ask how his day was god damn it.

-“Haven’t seen you in a while”, Kyungsoo suddenly said, fidgeting kind of awkwardly from where he stood in front of Jongin. Okay Jongin, don’t this up.

-“Ah, uhm… well yeah, uh, I… I was busy with my stu- studies”, good job Jongdumb, now he thinks you’re a verbal dyslexic.

-“Oh, sorry to hear that, midterms are approaching, right?” The raven haired mans lips stretched into a warm smile.

-“Yeah…” Quick, say something, you’re being an awkward ,” I crammed the whole weekend. I’m glad to be back though, I missed you” - oh -   “your coffee, I mean. Uh, I missed coming here. It’s way quieter than my dorm.”

Wow, very smooth Jongin, high five… Idiot. But he swore he saw the other bite his plush lower lip for a second before he answered.

-“You know you can always come and study here like you’ve done a few times before. I’m sure it’s quieter than your dorm.”

-“I, I could do that. That’d be nice”, Jongin managed to blurt out, he was kind of lost in the others eyes right now.

They kept eye contact without saying anything further and for once it wasn’t awkward. Actually, it was really pleasant. It made Jongins heart tingle a bit and his skin prickle. However, their moment was rather short lived because apparently Chanyeol was finished with his phone call and hobbled back to the table.

-“Oh, sweet!” his deep voice exclaimed as he quite ungracefully slumped back in his seat and took a sip of his Chocolate-banana-smoothie.

-“I’ll leave you two alone then”, Kyungsoo said and subsequently walked back to the counter.

Jongin was this close to grab the mans wrist and plead him to stay. Luckily the rationally thinking part of his brain told him that it would make things really awkward and we wouldn’t want that because this encounter went really well. Level up, yay!

As Jongin glanced over to the counter, it seemed that the blond barista high-fived Kyungsoo as the latter’s cheeks adapted the colour of a tomato- Whatever that was about.

////////                                                                                                                              

-“What are you even doing”, Kyungsoo mumbled under his breath as he furrowed his thick eyebrows in annoyance.

The young man was standing in front of the shelf in the supermarket that contained all kinds of milk-substitutes. In the past 15 minutes he had passed this shelf about five times and still he didn’t know whether he should actually grab a pack of almond milk or not. He tried to convince himself that this was only for a regular costumer’s sake but that was just utter bull. It was for the sake of making the guy he had a big, fat crush on smile.

The barista didn’t really like to admit to himself that he had hopelessly fallen for Jongin. That was because on one hand, that would mean Luhan was right and he didn’t really like the idea of Luhan being right about anything concerning his (non-existent) love live in general. On the other hand it was just kind of scary because emotions like that had risks of rejection, humiliation…or even worse: Jongin liking him back.

The older wouldn’t really know how to handle that. Kyungsoo had always enjoyed being alone- It’s not like he was lonely because of that. His life was just easier to handle without being responsible for someone else’s emotional wellbeing, that’s what he always told himself. But if he was honest he was just a scared little when it came to commitment. There’s a reason why he had changed his university studies three times just to drop out of it in order to help his friends built up a café. He’d practically thrown himself at any opportunity to get out of university back then.

Kyungsoo kind of had a problem with finishing what he started. This applied to leaving puzzles unfinished when he was little to breaking every casual romance off as soon as Kyungsoo could feel himself getting in too deep in his young adult life. Buying that forsaken pack of almond milk would somewhat mean that he committed to his crush. Either way, Kyungsoo now stood in line at the cashier (because to him the self-check-outs were machines from hell that only existed to mess with people) and somehow a pack of unsweetened almond milk had found its way into his shopping cart. One of his small hands ruffled through his bangs as let out a sigh.

He was frustrating himself. Whilst fishing the milk-supplement out of the cart to put it on the conveyer belt at the cashiers counter, warm, chocolaty brown eyes, sun kissed skin and a dimpled grin popped up in front of  Kyungsoos inner eye unexpectedly making his stomach churn and his chest feel tight. With a mumbled “” he turned his cart around, swiftly manoeuvring around the angry looking old lady behind him to put the almond milk back where it belonged.

Somehow, it didn’t make him feel better.
////////////////////////

I know not much happened here but it got some insight on Kyungsoos personality, I hope you liked it!