1/1

Man Behind The Mirror
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I've edited the first parts I previously uploaded and added on to it. Hope you like the complete fic ❤️

 

“Oh no.”


 

Kyungsoo leans forward to squint at his laptop screen before rearing back in shock at the sudden realisation of what he had done. More accurately, he is taken by surprise at what his best friend had just forced him to do.


 

He promptly turns to glare at Sehun. Attempts to would better describe it though. The latter would attest to the fact that a glaring Kyungsoo is about as frightening as getting stared at by a baby penguin –– adorable, really.


 

“Oh yes…” Sehun smirks and even gives the other his infamous eyebrow wiggle. Kyungsoo pinches his eyes shut and counts from “I” to “I want to kill you, Oh Sehun” before he actually lunges at the said male.


 

His best friend lets out an inhuman shriek and tries to dive out of the way, but Kyungsoo has already settled himself on the other’s stomach in record time, with his legs forming a tight hold and trapping Sehun to their living room floor. The latter wrinkles his nose in disgust when he accidentally breathes in the dust on the carpet his face was unceremoniously pressed into.


 

“Why do you do this to me, you brat?” Kyungsoo wails and bounces on his spot in distress. He files the grunts and pained whimpers coming from his meaty seat to the very back of his mind, ultimately having decided that punishing his best friend was warranted in this case.


 

“What am I going to do? I can’t take the words back now.” The almost crying man slaps at Sehun’s chest, albeit weakly.


 

"But you like Kai, don't you?" The younger retorts. "You've been talking to this guy for more than three months now. I was merely helping to push you in the right direction because you're too much of a coward to actually take things to the next level!" Sehun yelps when Kyungsoo continues to bounce on his stomach because ouch, though the other’s is squishy as hell, his weight still hurts.


 

Just as Kyungsoo was about to pass another comment, the notification sound goes off on his laptop and both guys whipped their heads up in perfect synchronisation.


 

“. . . Holy .” Kyungsoo looks almost delirious with the way he is muttering unintelligible curses under his breath. “He actually messaged me back!” Sehun had to grab onto his little friend’s hands before he does some serious damage to the both of them with all the wild swinging of his upper body.


 

“Well, aren’t you going to see what Prince Charming replied?” Sehun jerks his head in the direction of the laptop encouragingly, but Kyungsoo shakes his head frantically and basically curls into himself the next second.


 

“No. No, I won’t… What if he thinks I’m a ert and calls me a creep for even suggesting that? What if he suddenly hates me and never wants to speak to me again?” The smaller man’s eyes were blown wide open with self-induced panic and unnecessary worry, and Sehun exhales deeply because he had always found his best friend’s insecurities unsettling.


 

The younger quickly pushes himself off the floor, an easy feat now that Kyungsoo has released him somewhat, and settles his hands on both sides of the latter’s face.


 

“Hey. Calm down, Soo. You know what I always say when you’re like this.” Sehun adds, knowing all too well that if he doesn't do something to halt the other’s train of thoughts, Kyungsoo was most probably going to hurt himself again. Psychologically. The younger only smiles a couple of moments later when his best friend’s shoulders sag and his expression softens.


 

“W-What are you d-doing?” Kyungsoo blinks in confusion when Sehun lifts him off his body and sits him on the floor before rising to his feet and striding over to the coffee table.


 

“What do you think I’m doing?” The younger taunts while cocking his head to the side before bending down to read the text on the screen. Kyungsoo nibbles on his bottom lip anxiously. He might not have the courage to go over to read the other’s reply, but you can’t say he isn’t a tad bit curious.


 

“W-What did he say?” He bites out half a second later after spotting the slight upturn at the corner of Sehun’s lips.


 

“Wow” A low whistle was all the other lets out before he turns to face him, spinning the laptop screen towards Kyungsoo as well. “Why don’t you read it for yourself, Soo?” Sehun chuckles.


 

The said man flips himself over onto his belly and does his best impression of a hyperactive baby crawl over to Sehun to do exactly that.


 

OwlIneedisyourlove said at 21:09PM

 

Hey hot stuff

(͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

wanna meet up?

I CAN’T WAIT TO MEET YOU, YOU THE MAN OF MY DREAMS MY ROMEO

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ

Let’s get it ON tonighttt~

ლ(´ڡ`ლ)


 

It was what Sehun had typed and sent off in Kyungsoo's name when the latter had popped into the bathroom earlier. What pissed him off even more was how needy he had sounded; he practically sounded like he was asking for . And what the hell is with all the unicode emoticons?


 

Kyungsoo’s eyes scan down their chat history. “Hold me. I think I’m going to faint.” He whispers after the reply following his (Sehun’s) words registers in his brain.


 

KaiandMonggu4EVA said at 21:15PM

 

Of course... I will love to meet you, hyung.

So does that make you my Juliet?

٩(⁎❛ᴗ❛⁎)۶


 

Kyungsoo slaps himself on the cheeks a couple of times just to check if his eyes are playing tricks on him. He can’t believe that the man of his dreams even replied to his message in the first place. Not only that, he had also agreed to meet him.


 

Does that mean he likes me-- like really likes me and wants to take the next step with me?


 

“I think I’m going to faint, Hun.” Kyungsoo repeats, and Sehun barely has time to react and catch him before Kyungsoo promptly passes out after issuing his warning.


 

“Aish this hyung.” The younger shakes his head lightly and carries his best friend to his room to rest. “Will he actually meet this Kai person though?” Sehun mumbles to himself as he tucks Kyungsoo under his duvets.


 

Knowing his personality, his fears... he would either run away or probably get someone else to go in his place. He understands that Kyungsoo has grown very fond of Kai through their conversations over the past months so running away is probably the less likely option.


 

“Who will he get to go in his place though-- Oh.” The younger hazards a guess and freezes abruptly at that thought.


 

There’s only one person Kyungsoo can (and will) call on when he needs help.


 

Oh .



 

=== Three Months Ago ===


 

When Sehun had first introduced the website called “1 + 1 = LOVE” to him, Kyungsoo had snorted at the ridiculous name before whacking the other across the head when it became apparent that his best friend had also taken the initiative to create an account for him, without his consent or seeking his opinion of whether he even wanted to step foot into the world of online dating.


 

He had also made a strong case of himself not needing such help to land a boyfriend, or just him not even needing one at all, but Sehun merely gave him a blank stare that pretty much sums up how unconvinced he is still.


 

Kyungsoo is a shy guy to put it nicely. Insecure is the other not so positive word most others use to describe his kind. He has always been too conscious and concerned of how others view him.


 

When Sehun had explained the perks of online dating to him – mainly the fact that he could chat with others, make friends and then progress to something more *wink wink was what the other had said, behind the mask of the Internet for there was no face-to-face interaction required, Kyungsoo was half convinced to give the website a go.


 

After all, he did feel kind of lonely witnessing the lovey dovey moments shared by plenty of couples around his school campus. What is the harm in trying right? Also, Sehun had nothing but good words for this website. Kyungsoo knows for a fact that his best friend had even gone out a couple of times with people he’d met, albeit none got the chance to hang out with Sehun for a second time because they just weren’t the right person for me, Soo the younger had told him once.


 

Sehun was still meeting new people nonetheless. And from how Kyungsoo laments that he should have better friends whenever the other so much as annoys him with all his incessant chattering back in the small apartment they rented, he wonders if it would do him good to have someone else by his side.


 

The man Sehun paints him out to be in his profile description is nothing like how he is in real life. For one, Kyungsoo sure as hell isn’t any kind of a happy-go-lucky guy, and two, he thinks the other’s depiction of his skin tone and complexion being fairer than Snow White’s is a massive exaggeration.


 

There was even a profile picture uploaded, and thank goodness Sehun had put up one with the two of them in it. The picture was one taken after Sehun’s most recent dance competition. In it, the younger’s arm was wrapped around Kyungsoo’s shoulders, holding him close to his sweaty body. There was a gigantic smile on Sehun’s face which contrasted greatly with the disgusted grimace on Kyungsoo’s for he had the other’s sweat pressing into his sides.


 

It seems like people were drawn to his profile (for whatever reason he cannot comprehend) for he had received more than five friendship requests in just under an hour of being online. It was actually quite an ego booster to see the five hearts beside his name. Sehun had helped him to log in to his account before leaving for class, and Kyungsoo’s lessons only starts at two in the afternoon that particular day, which meant that he had a little time to himself to explore this new site. But, being somewhat of a technology dummy, it had taken Kyungsoo a lot of squinting and false clicks before even managing to successfully navigate to his profile page.


 

The first heart he received was from a guy named PokemonTrainerPCYeol whose profile picture was that of a decent looking male hiding behind a beagle pup raised up on his two front legs. Kyungsoo loves puppies so he had liked the other person’s profile back without hesitation, which allowed the two to finally speak to each other via the instant messaging app built into the website.


 

He should have known something was off about PokemonTrainerPCYeol when the first words he received from the other were “Hey y, will you bottom for me?” And before Kyungsoo could even text Sehun to ask his best friend what the last three words meant, a pop up box had filled up his screen, and because he didn’t really know what to do, Kyungsoo had tapped on the green button naively.


 

Oh, it’s a video call was his first thought when a live feed started. What’s with the bare skin was Kyungsoo’s follow-up question.


 

“Hey y…” He startled a little at the deep voice, but when his eyes trailed up the length and he finally got what it was that he was looking at, Kyungsoo completely freaked out. He shrieked as one of his hands came up to try and shield his eyes, but because he was in a rush, he accidently punched his own face instead. The next second, his laptop was flung halfway across the room.


 

Sehun found him quivering under his sheets later that night, wailing about being scarred for life. The latter even had to coax him out of bed with a bag of sweets so he could try to treat the bruising skin around his eye.


 

“I felt so cheated, you know?” Kyungsoo pouted, chewing on some of the jellybeans, “The puppy was just too cute so I gave him a like back. I thought he would be someone nice for once and we can get married, then we can adopt a dozen puppies to be our kids.” Kyungsoo chokes on his words and ignores the dramatic eye roll Sehun gives him. “You know I can never say no to puppies.” He whines.


 

Kyungsoo also vows to never trust profile pictures with cute looking dogs ever again.



 

===



 

The dilemma came when a stranger added him on the dating site and he had not one, not two, but three cute looking puppies in his profile picture. Kyungsoo gulps as his mind hesitates, his finger hovering above the ignore request button for a couple of seconds.


 

The three dogs were putting up a rather convincing argument though.


 

Ah, heck it he thought before slamming his finger down on the Accept Friend Request and Send a Like Back button. Kyungsoo’s reasoning was simple – he had already seen a stranger flashing his at him, so what could be worse right?


 

Apparently he wasn’t expecting to be drawn into any drama of sorts after that first encounter.



 

===



 

“Remind me again... What is his favorite color?”


 

For a short moment, Kyungsoo stares blankly at his best friend, who in his opinion has just opened his mouth to ask a very dumb question. He breaks out into a long drawn groan the next second.


 

“Sehun! We’ve been through Kai’s likes and dislikes. Now I’m sharing special episodes from his past he might possibly bring up during dinner, have you even been paying attention?” Sehun stands still and tries not to pee in his pants because of the extremely scary death glare Kyungsoo gives him. The other must have spent time perfecting this look because this is very much an upgrade from the penguin glare he is used to.


 

“Black, okay? Black!” The shorter man shoves at his best friend with his two hands to keep him moving towards the restaurant they were about to meet Kai in. “We like the same color, okay? Oh my god, aren’t we just fated for each other.” Kyungsoo says that in a swooning voice and Sehun wants to use that to tease the other, but he also values his life so he rightly chooses to shut up.


 

“If you mess this up somehow, I will personally grill your as– ” Sehun yelps and smushes his tiny friend to his chest, a little bit too affectionately. He can fill Kyungsoo’s elbows digging painfully into his ribs.


 

“Don’t you worry, my precious bean.” The younger doesn’t care if there were plenty of strangers on the sidewalk giving them weird glances, nor does he care about the protests Kyungsoo lets slip while trapped in his hold. “I’ve got your back, bro. I’m the best wingman you are ever going to need.” Sehun declares. “I won’t let you down.” He coos and rubs his face against the top of Kyungsoo’s head. “ It’s been what six months since you guys started talking? I will get you and prince charming a happily ever after.”


 

By now, the latter has stilled while the rage compounds within him. Unlike his best friend who has complete disregard for attracting attention and public embarrassment, Kyungsoo notices the way people around them are staring, and he feels like dying under their judgment. He is so socially inept he might as well be labeled a recluse.


 

“I’m giving you three seconds to let me go.” The shorter male grits his teeth and warns.


 

But Sehun was still lost in the moment of patting his head like he would his dog, Vivi, and going on about preparing his best man’s speech for Kyungsoo and Kai’s future wedding to actually hear the threat. So it comes to no surprise that when the three seconds are up, Kyungsoo viciously swings his knee up to strike right at the younger’s crotch, and Sehun falls to the ground at once.


 

“OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD IT BURNSSS…” He howls and clutches at the dragon in his pants. “Help. Me.” The fallen man mouths at his best friend, but Kyungsoo who is used to his dramatics merely rolls his eyes and stalk away.


 

“Get up, you’re dirtying the floor with Gucci.” And at the magic word, Sehun springs up like electricity has zapped him and hurries to brush himself off.


 

It takes them slightly less than five minutes to reach the restaurant Kyungsoo and Kai had agreed to meet at, and even from the exterior, they know this to be an upscale establishment. The two friends exchange impressed glances, this Kai person was either trying very hard to impress the former or he could just be rich (maybe both).


 

“Do you have a reservation, gentlemen?” The waitress by the entrance greets them. Sehun, who was still admiring the paintwork of the restaurant’s exterior, jerks up startled when Kyungsoo’s jabs his chest with an elbow. Looking towards his best friend who was giving him the shifty eyes, Sehun releases a soft ah in understanding and clears his throat.


 

“Yes, it is I, Do Kyungsoo, the one and only… I AM DO KYUNGSOO.” He declares awkwardly and stares into the gaping lady’s eyes earnestly. Ha! That was brilliant acting. Right Soo? The younger nudges and winks at Kyungsoo who smacks a palm on his forehead and drags it down his face.


 

“He has a reservation under the name Kim Kai?” The latter says and sighs dreamily at the name.


 

“Ah yes, Mr Kim is already here.” The waitress opens the door for Sehun and welcomes him in. “What about you, sir? Are you with them?” Kyungsoo’s eyes widen when he is addressed.


 

“Oh, no! No…” His voice trails off. “I’m… I-I’m here for the washroom only. Yes.” Kyungsoo nods frantically, as if to convince the other to let him in. And the waitress does narrow her eyes at the two of them suspiciously, but she ultimately leads them in.


 

“Mr Do, your table is right over there. As for your friend, the washroom is just behind it. I will leave you two now. Thank you for dining at the Replacement Gallery.” The pair nods briefly at the waitress who has already turned around to tend to another patron before turning to stare at their reserved table.


 

Hold up. Sehun frowns and faces Kyungsoo.


 

“Am I going blind or do I see two persons waiting for me?” He gulps when he finally takes in the appearance of the waiting duo because hot damnnn… well, he can really only see one guy because the other was wrapped up in so much clothing you would think it’s the middle of winter when in fact summer has barely rolled in.


 

“Which one is Kai again?” Sehun pauses.


 

“I don’t know. Probably the one loo-- oh , he’s looking over. That must be Kai.” Kyungsoo drops to the floor in panic.


 

Sehun looks over and wolf-whistles, “Your boy is looking fine.” He winces the next second because Kyungsoo was squeezing his hand too hard. He can also tell from how the shorter was taking in dramatic deep drags of air that he is close to hyperventilating.


 

Since Kai brought a friend along, Sehun wanted to convince Kyungsoo to join him too, but he knows the latter will never agree.


 

“You should go over, Sehun.” Kyungsoo gives him a slight push forward. “I’ll find somewhere to hide. Do me proud.” He nods encouragingly at the other before he drops to a low crouch and waddles his way to the washroom “like a ninja” the younger thinks he hears him whisper.


 

Uhm… okay… Sehun tears his eyes away from Kyungsoo’s retreating back and takes in a few deep breaths, only walking over to Kai when he deems himself ready to dish out a masterclass act.


 

Wow… he’s really good-looking. He gulps when big doe eyes glance up at his arrival before a beautiful smile graces the other’s face. “Kyungsoo hyung?” The man asks.


 

Sehun jerks his head down in an awkward nod and hopes it suffices as an answer.


 

“You’re Kai?” He asks, not really knowing why he feels shy in front of the other. When the other nods after a moment’s pause, Sehun’s eyes dart over to the still figure beside Kai. “And this is…” He looks to Kai questioningly. The third guy was staring so intensely at him over his face mask and under the black cap hiding half his forehead, that it scared Sehun a little.


 

Kai leans closer to Sehun just then. With flushed cheeks but a curious mind, the latter closes the distance between them too.


 

“Sorry, this is uhm – he’s my brother, L-Luhan.” Kai stutters a little at the name and Sehun could swear Luhan just pinched Kai in the sides. “I had to bring him along, sorry if it bothers you. But you see… he’s a little –” The latter twists his index finger beside his temple before he resumes whispering, “off in the head, you know? I couldn’t leave him alone at home.” A grimace appears on his face then, but it was gone as soon as it came.


 

There was no real malice in his words though.


 

Sehun turns to glance at Luhan again, who he suspects has just given Kai a good kick in the ankles. “Me L-Luhan.” The male gives an awkward bow and Sehun now believes Kai when he said Luhan was mentally a tad off after taking note of his speech impediment.


 

“Poor boy.” He mouths at the doe-eyed male discreetly, one hand coming up to shield himself so Luhan couldn’t see what he was

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter