With My Last Breath

With My Last Breath

The monitor keeps a steady beat.

I look to my right and my eyes land on the brightly circled date, March 9th.

The day I was born, the day we first met, and the day you asked me to be yours.

Sadly, I'm going to leave another significance with this day.

Today will be my last day ,on earth, with you...

I look to my left and there you are- a full head of soft light brown hair resting next to me.

Both of your hands hold onto mine in a tight embrace.

You are my heart, you are every breath I've taken, you are my life.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to make and share memories with you anymore.

I don't want to leave, but my body tells me its time.

My heart aches-not from this illness I've inherited-but from the thought of leaving you alone in this world.

My time is almost up, I bring my hand to your head one last time lovingly.

The moment when my hand touched you, I was able to see all of my favorite memories of us.

I do not cry because I loved every moment I was able to share with you in this lifetime.

Its becoming harder to breathe with every second that ticks by- the monitor begins to beat rapidly, reflecting my heart that is struggling to stay alive.

You suddenly lift your head and our eyes meet...your eyes, they look so sad.

Tears began to fall from your beautiful eyes onto your handsomely chiseled face.

My heart pained as you were whisked away from my side.

I promised myself that I would not leave this earth feeling sad and hopeless- but I am afraid that I might not be able to keep that promise.

I didn't want my last memory of you to be sad, your eyes...they spoke to me.

They screamed, "Dear God, please not yet-"

Silly boy, you can't cheat death with love.

My vision is becoming blurry, the light is slowly fading off in the distance and the darkness envelopes everything.

Suddenly, what feels like an adrenaline courses through my veins- I can breathe again and my racing heart calms.

I open my eyes and look, once again you're by my side.

"I can only keep her alive for so long."

You begin to cry once more.

I reach for your hand and you take mine and place it against your warm cheek.

"I want to be held in your arms one last time."

You carefully pull me into a protecting embrace...I'm going to miss your comforting touch so much.

"What am I going to do when you're gone?" you asked.

There are so many things I want to say to you, but my borrowed strength does not permit me. I want you to remember me, but to not dwell sorrowfully when I am your past. I want you to find love again. I want you to find a girl who will love you like I did, if not more. I want you to have children, experience something I couldn't give you. I want nothing but happiness for you in the future.

"Remember me, but don't miss me too much. Move on and enjoy the rest of your life."

"I can't live without you." you replied.

Don't say that, how can I leave knowing that you will give up on life because of me?

"We'll meet again, I promise you." I breathed.

I feel your embrace get tighter, as if you were desperately trying to hold onto my life like I was.

I'm feeling tired...your chest is so warm, I could just lay here forever.

My time is coming to an end.

With my last breath I will tell you

"I love you."