Chapter 1

Yesterday

There he was, in all his glory, jet black hair slightly touseled, heart shaped lips and curved brows worked into a discontent frown while foused on what seemingly appeared to be a class schedule from Jongin's point of view. Keen observation skills Jongin had acquired from the mountain of puzzle books now came into play. Identical school uniform, class schedule, and Jongin's regular bench by the gate occupied could only mean one thing. The mysterious boy whose eyes played the desolate medley was going to be attending his school.

Although Jongin wasn't close enough to see a clear image of the boy, there was a familiar aura about him that Jongin couldn't quite place. Curiosity boiled in Jongin's veins, and he was drawn towards the boy. Invisible strings tugged at his legs, and the distance between them was rapidly diminishing. Jongin was a puppet, and he dared not defy the puppet master at work. But someone else did.

"Jongin!" A sonorous yet rich voice boomed from nearby. The shout belonged to Chanyeol, body too tall to be less than a bit awkward, and protruding ears that gave him a cherubic feeling. The overlap of cuteness and awkwardness completely contrasted his surprisingly deep voice. "Where you going? Wait up!"

Jongin, disappointed that he had just been disrupted in his mission to talk to the new boy, stopped in his tracks and spun around to face his friend. A forced smile played at his lips. "Yeol, why are you so early today? You usually come one minute before the bell rings," he remarked.

"Ah, you know what they say, the first day of school is a fresh start," Chanyeol shrugged with a sly grin.

Jongin rolled his eyes at his friend's familiar whimsical antics. A second later, he realized he had been distracted and rapidly directed his attention back to the now vacant bench. Jongin could have sworn that the bench had been occupied just 30 seconds ago; he couldn't have gone far. A quick scan across the courtyard revealed exactly what he had feared. The boy was nowhere in sight. Yet what Jongin had failed to notice was the needle in the haystack, the jet black hair that blended in perfectly with the crowd, less than 25 feet away.

The whole day, the boy occupied his mind. Jongin was depending on luck to place them in the same classes, or at the very least, just one class. But luck proved once again to be a challenge for Jongin.

First period: Chemistry. Zip.

Second period: History. Zilch.

Third period: Math. Zero.

Fourth Period: Korean. Nada.

Fifth Period: English. Nothing.

Then came the last period of the day, PE. The last bit of hope that Jongin was clinging onto now. Yet the brutal pattern was not discontinued. He was not there.

When the school day ended, Jongin could not prevent the feeling of defeat that was had build up progressively as the day went on. He oh so regretted not getting close enough to be able to talk to the boy, or to even just catch a glimpse of the class schedule he had been examining. The only time Jongin had seen him was in the morning before school started.

Then it hit him. That was his chance, his one and only chance during the whole day that he would have. Jongin was compelled to uncover the veil of enigma that cloaked the boy; he had a plan.

_______________

"Jongin, where are you going? The bus doesn't come until 7:45," Mrs. Kim inquired. She usually never questioned Jongin's decisions and trusted him with his independence, but this was out of the ordinary.

"Mom, I have a school project," Jongin shouted back, "I'm biking today." He hastily wrestled on the helmet, then jumped onto the bike. His confidence soared as he glanced at his watch. It was only 7:20. He could make it to school by 7:40. Jongin could feel the wind pushing him to bike faster, to make sure he didn't miss this chance.

But chances are given, not made. Given by luck, which apparently loathed Jongin.

By the time the wooden bench came into sight, it was clearly unoccupied. Jongin took a leap of faith and believed that the boy would come to the bench, just like the day before. He hoped with all his might that it was not a one time thing, that he could have the chance to see the boy every morning before school. And so he sat down with his hopes and waited. He waited for the person who would never show up, for he once again failed to detect the jet black hair and lean figure that was melding into the distance.

_______________

It was 7:43 and Jongin was back at the same spot. Perhaps yesterday was unlucky. Nevertheless, the seed of doubt had already planted itself in his mind. He sat, hands folded patiently in his lap, replaying the same situation that occurred yesterday. Also like yesterday, his actions were futile, and luck flew by him, paying no regard.

Jongin knew when it was hopeless. He knew not to waste his time and effort on something that was unlikely to succeed. He gave up. 

 

 


Yay first chapter!!

How do you think they're gonna meet? CUZ OMG JONGIN ALWAYS HAS HORRIBLE TIMING... or is someone just purposely avoiding him.. ;)

Lol i was writing notes for this story during volunteering because THEY LITERALLY JUST LEFT ME SITTING THERE FOR 2 HOURS. >_< And I feel like I got a lot of good ideas but I'm sooo lazyyy so the actual writing part is pretty hard for me :P

I always feel like I wrote so much but i go view it and its like.. only 3 MIN WORTH OF READING?! 

On a side note, it was raining today so it really got me in the mood for writing~ 

HERE'S MY RAINY DAY SONG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8bwsBGbmpU

Enjoy!! Thanks for reading, and tell me what you thought about it! :)