Chapter V

I am a Part of EXO

Chapter V.

 

Earlier, when all twelve of them were home on a weekend after dinner, without any hectic schedules to keep them up all night, EXO would gather around in the big living room of their dormitory and watch movies or television shows, cracking up even at the silliest of jokes they would hear from the entertainment box.

Nowadays, however, as a result of the reduction in members, the nine boys could hardly be seen together during any day of the week, except for group practices. Everyone generally busied themselves with working on their skills, dancing this choreography one more time, or singing that whole song once again, trying to keep things as perfect as they could.

Zhang Yixing admitted that while he also exhibited similar conduct, he kept some time aside for leisure. And to be completely honest, he would enjoy this balance between work and fun; it made things a lot easier now that he had a good night's sleep before going about his daily duties.

 

As a result, one such evening on a weekend, Yixing found himself seated across the television set, a faint smile plastered on his face as he gave his full attention to the comedy show currently being broadcasted. Being totally engrossed in the show, he did not realise when a certain tall giant flopped down beside him on the couch, scooping up the remote control in his hand.

The Chinese blinked in slight confusion as the programme was changed to a sports channel, where the two teams were involved in a heated soccer match, playing almost as if their lives depended on it.

A faint grunt of annoyance could be heard from a side of the room, where Byun Baekhyun was planted on one of the lounge chairs, slouching while watching TV.

"Yah, Chanyeol-ah, why did you change the channel? We were watching that show, it was pretty funny," the oldest of the Beagle line said, indirectly asking Park Chanyeol to switch it back to the comedy programme.

After receiving no response whatsoever from the other guy, neither in the spoken form nor any kind of gesture, Kim Junmyeon looked up from the other side of the living room, phone dangling from a hand as he cast unsure glances round the room. He threw Yixing a questioning gaze, to which the latter merely shrugged.

"Chanyeol, please change it back to that programme," Baekhyun tried again, his voice a tad bit softer than the previous comment.

"Why don't you do it yourself, then?!"

The youngest boy's loud retort made them all jump in shock as they watched him toss the remote control back on the couch, before stomping out of the room. The two older members peeked a glance at Baekhyun, their hearts breaking at the sorrow evident on the poor boy's face.

Chanyeol rarely ever yelled at his fellow members, least of all at Baekhyun. Over the years, he had come to strike a very close friendship with the other, so to see your best friend snap at you for no apparent reason had to have hurt Baekhyun, more than anyone could comprehend.

This was the exact reason why Yixing knew it was perfectly okay to panic at the tall guy's angered actions, and unlike what he had felt for any of the other members he had spoken to, he felt an overwhelming urge to discover what it was that had seemingly ruffled Chanyeol's feathers to such an extent that he would not think twice before shouting at anyone.

Before either of the two could object, the dancer shot off the couch, taking quick, nimble steps as he trotted after Chanyeol hurriedly.

 

"Chanyeol, wait!" He called out as he saw the tall form stalking away in some random direction, huffing out loudly as the latter refused to even acknowledge his hyung's presence. Quickening his pace, he hastily came to a stop right in front of the younger guy, almost making Chanyeol barrel into him head on.

"What's the problem, hyung?" Chanyeol asked, his brow knitted together in obvious irritation as he gazed evenly at Yixing, resulting in Yixing glaring back at him, arms crossed over his chest sternly.

"Don't you think I should be the one asking you that?" The older man countered, his voice taking on a surprisingly grave edge that was new to his own ears as well. He could see Junmyeon and Baekhyun walking over, coming to a stop a few feet behind Chanyeol as Yixing continued to give the guy a stare-down.

"I have no idea what you're talking about, Yixing-hyung." Chanyeol's voice was curt and cold, something Yixing hadn't ever heard before. He knew how stubborn the younger members of the group could get sometimes, and with a soft sigh let out under his breath, he knew he would have to be strict while dealing with the rapper.

With his hands planted firmly on his hips, Yixing stared fixedly at Chanyeol, a deep frown set on his face. "Why were you rude to Baekhyun right now? Has he ever done anything to you, that you're letting out your anger on the poor guy, whatever it is you're upset about?"

"That was just on the spur of the moment, hyung, I didn't really mean it," Chanyeol mumbled, finally breaking his gaze from the elder's as he looked down at his feet. To be honest, Yixing was beginning to feel like an angry parent scolding his kid, who was shuffling uncomfortably on his feet while being reprimanded.

"Even if you did not mean it, no way does that give you an excuse to get away with your behaviour, Park Chanyeol." The Chinese had his arms folded across his chest as he spoke, sighing again in exasperation. "So I'm asking you, what's the problem? Why are you feeling so cranky? What happened to the Happy Virus of EXO?" He fumbled slightly over his words as he bombarded the other with question upon question, which, unfortunately, just managed to anger the boy further.

"Well, why should I be the Happy Virus?!" Chanyeol roared, startling Yixing as well as the other two as his booming, deep voice echoed through the corridor they were standing in. Thankfully, the four of them were the only ones currently at home.

Noticing how his older brother was too stunned to speak, Chanyeol took it as his cue to continue. "Why am I expected to stay happy in every single situation, for every single obstacle that is thrown my way? Am I not supposed to have any other emotion besides happiness and ecstasy? There are times when I just feel like letting loose and bursting into tears, but no, I am the Happy Virus," he said, his eyes glistening with tears as he made air quotes around the two words. "Well, guess what, hyung? I'm tired of being the Happy Virus!"

The fat teardrops escaping the tall man's eyes and swiftly rolling down his face were what made Yixing snap out of the shock, and with an understanding glance, he was quick to reach up, enveloping Chanyeol in a tight hug. Behind Chanyeol, Yixing could see their leader freely crying, while Baekhyun seemed to be on the verge of tears as well. As the younger man in his arms refused to cease weeping, violent sobs racking his body, the older patted his back comfortingly.

"I'm sorry you had to conceal your emotions for such a long time, Chanyeol-ah," Yixing began, whispering into Chanyeol's ear soothingly. "No one is telling you to bottle them up, friend, and if you ever feel like opening up, we are here for you." Pulling back slightly, he placed a hand on the taller guy's shoulder, sending a warm smile his way. "You have been dubbed as the Happy Virus for a reason, but that definitely does not mean that you should only be happy and nothing else. You have a way of making everyone around you laugh, and we're really grateful to you for that. But Chanyeol, please don't feel pressured about it. Just come talk to one of us if you want to, okay?"

Chanyeol nodded, the ghost of a smile appearing on his lips even through his tears, and Yixing lightly patted his cheek, a supportive smile on his face.

 

"I'm really sorry I snapped at you, hyung, that was really mannerless and immature of me," Chanyeol muttered, his head hung low. Yixing just let out a soft laugh, dismissing it with a pat to the other's arm. "That's fine, Chanyeol, I'm sure you didn't mean it."

The younger guy was slightly surprised, as well as ashamed at the fact that the man in front of him had forgiven him so easily; it made him feel guilty, but at the same time, a huge load had now been lifted off his shoulders.

Hearing footsteps behind him, Chanyeol turned around, only to come face-to-face with Baekhyun and Junmyeon as they walked closer, the latter wiping away his tears. Opening his mouth, he was about to apologise to his best friend, but Baekhyun beat him to it by standing on tiptoe, throwing his arms around Chanyeol's neck, and in that instant, Chanyeol knew he had already been forgiven.

 

Author's Note:

Eeeyeah.... so.... I really, seriously did not expect this chapter to be this angsty (I know I'm bad at writing angst, so I think this is the best I could come up with), but I wanted to show a side of Chanyeol's that wasn't always super happy like an energetic puppy. Everyone has their reasons of losing their cool, so how is he any different from other human beings, right?

Since there's going to be a chapter for every member, this means that we're already done with more than half! *cue cheers and drumrolls because I'm one heck of a lazy author and person in general*

Four more members to go, and frankly, I want to get this story done with as soon as possible, because it just makes me moodier than ever. As if I didn't have terrible mood swings to begin with.

Oh, and since I'll be busy with studies and whatnot, the updates will be slower, meaning this story will be updated every Sunday till it's finally over.