Who Lies Better?

Who Lies Better?

Irene couldn't tell a lie to save her life. Her guilty expression gives her away too easily. She's the kind of person who prefers being straightforward with her thoughts. This honesty was seen as a good trait in her line of work as a bartender because broken people often preferred to hear the truth for once. (Even if it did come from a complete stranger who just served them drinks.) But if it was an opinion that would irrevocably hurt someone else then Irene would rather keep it to herself than lie through her own teeth.

 

Wendy doesn't like lying but she can and she does. Ever since she was young, Wendy has always been the nice girl. She's so nice to everyone that hardly anything bad comes out of her. But what people don't know about Wendy is that she lies. She lies about not having any plans after work so she can finish the paperwork of her officemate who had an "emergency". She lies about not minding the spicy flavor because the chef who made the meal worked so hard on cooking it. She lies about having a sore throat at family parties, giving her little sister Yeri a chance to demonstrate her singing abilities. She lies about having somewhere to be when her best friend Seulgi makes a face that says she wants to spend more quality time alone with her girlfriend Joy. She lies about not seeing her boyfriend cheat on her with her officemate who had the "emergency" the other day. She lies to the pretty bartender about her low alcohol tolerance so she wouldn't have to worry over a drunk customer. She lies to her boyfriend about being too busy with work so it would probably be best if they just broke up. She lies to her mom that she's doing fine and she's happy as finds herself driving to the bar once again. She lies to her boss about being sick and promises to finish her paperwork by the end of the week when she finds herself in an unfamiliar apartment the next morning, still fully clothed but with a throbing headache. Wendy doesn't lie when she tells the bartender that she is even more beautiful in the morning than she is working in the bar at night.

 

The more she gets to know Irene, the more Wendy finds herself telling the truth. She tells Irene stories from her childhood and the home and family she misses in Canada. She tells Irene her dreams of once becoming a singer. She also tells Irene that she still might believe in the Boogeyman. She tells Irene that she's moving on from her previous failed relationship. But she also cries as she tells Irene the reason why she got herself drunk on the night they first met.

 

Irene doesn't lie, Wendy notices. But sometimes Irene doesn't tell the truth either. On the night that Wendy tells Irene that she might have fallen for her, Irene doesn't say anything at all. The next morning, Wendy lies to herself about not having feelings for Irene because she doesn't want to ruin her friendship with her, nor would she want to ruin the relationship Irene already has with someone else.

 

Wendy lies because she is a nice person. A very nice person who doesn't want to hurt anyone.

 

 

---

 

A/N: Yes, hello, hooray. It's been a while since I posted anything on AFF. I'm sorry if it had to be a drabble. And...a bit angsty lol. College is hard and I've completely lost touch with writing. It's sad, really. I used to enjoy writing before (but I'll be honest here, my writing back then was very raw and underdeveloped lol... Well, I honestly think that my writing now is still like that but with a bit of improvement compared to the way I wrote like 2 or 3 years ago.) Anyways, if I finish writing something then I'll post it up! Please do upvote, comment, or anything lol. It'd be nice to see some constructive criticism (even though this is just a drabble haha). Or if you have any thoughts about it or suggestions for its improvement then go for it :D That's it for now. Until next time! Byeeeeeee~