042

DAMNED

Chapter 42.

MAP OF THE 1ST CLAN

The Misty Market was a place for trading. It was mostly loot from outside of the walls, valuable objects or things that were illegal. Steam rose up from the sewers, and they even smelled smoke, probably because people were burning things below them. People were colorful and they decorated themselves with makeup. Mark had never seen that before. This people felt safe in a way Mark’s people had never done. His clan thought about day-to-day survival, while here everything was almost calm. People traded and worked to keep the city going, but they had time to breathe. Many were laughing and talking about things Mark didn’t know what was. Some were even humming melodies he had never heard before.

Mark found himself in shock when he saw someone exchange batteries. Batteries held electricity, which meant the person receiving batteries had some form of electricity and it was illegal. It was a luxury they weren’t allowed to have, because of what had come down in the end of all the luxury that Humanity had before the Last War. To survive and live a comfortable life you didn’t need all of that stuff. Yet here people were, trading all of it.

Mark and Taeyong weren’t allowed hoods, because peeking through a dark place only gathered more attention. Actually Mark suggested covering their eyes up, but it would only be needed if darkness fell upon them. They stayed in the light and so they had to quickly get out of the Misty Market or the Mist as it was known to people who went there often.

  “Sometimes it does move places. Yet this place isn’t bad. And they don’t sell weapons.” Haechan explained as they walked on the street, tall buildings rising up above them. People had clothes hanging out of the windows, and some were yelling down at the people on the street. Mark noticed someone look up and yell back. They knew each other.

  “You coming tonight? At the Tone?”

  “Waddaya think, Hilda, I never miss a String’s concert! That’d be madness! Call me Damned!”

Haechan stopped and ducked past the man yelling up at the woman, and Mark watched them. What were they talking about? Tone and strings? Instruments? Music? Concert?

The way the man used Damned as a slur, seemed to settle within Mark and he frowned and looked at the ground. Feeling out of place, as if he didn’t belong there.

Haechan stopped and Mark ended up bumping into him. The boy spun around and gave Mark a look. Mark noticed Taeyong lean against the wall of the building. Jeno glanced at the people passing by them. He was looking for something.

  “People are not carrying weapons.” He noted and Mark turned around to see the same thing. They didn’t have swords or daggers. Mark grabbed onto the sheath holding his sword. Haechan was looking at him. His eyes said all he needed to say. Mark shook his head.

  “I can’t-” He began but Haechan’s eyelids sunk just enough so that Mark stopped. “We’ll be helpless. We won’t be able to defend ourselves!”

  “Against what?” Haechan asked. “Civilians? We’re supposed to look just like them.” He hissed and came closer, so that no passersby heard them. Mark felt Haechan’s breath against his face and he ignored his own body reacting to it. He stepped away to keep himself focused.

  “Let’s hide them close to the Misty Market, then we’ll grab them on the way out.” Mark really didn’t feel safe stripping himself of his blades, but Taeyong pointed to his dagger hidden in his jacket and Mark nodded. A small blade would be enough, if a dangerous situation did come up.

 

 

 

 

And so they moved along the people in the street. Haechan looked at the buildings with a fond smile, while Taeyong looked at little nervous to be back. Jeno was excited and he kept stopping and staring at things before he was dragged away by Haechan.

They didn’t know where to look. Haechan crossed a street, through a large group of people. They were surrounded by tall cement buildings and people were drying fabrics out of them, or sitting in the windowsills and looking up at the sky. They all seemed so peaceful, and they walked with no worry. They laughed so much that Mark felt bitter. He had never felt as carefree as they did, there was always worry. The 1st Clan got everything they needed from the other clans and paid with protection of their soldiers. Mark was grateful he’d never have to worry about other clans attacking, but now he wished he could’ve been born in this clan instead, even if all those who live here had to go through being chosen to be in the army or not.

Then Haechan stopped and snapped his fingers. “I know a few places to look, follow me!” He said excitedly and the group followed Haechan through the streets.

They reached an area that had trees growing up through the sidewalk. Stones were placed around them, making them look beautifully planned. Mark enjoyed this more, a sign of nature, instead of all that concrete.

There were a sound of voices, the sound of a gathering. Haechan stopped in front of a bow-shaped gate and led them through. Mark peaked over his shoulder and noticed a wide area where there was a scene in the middle with tribunes rising up around it. Where they entered was on the left side of the stage, at the very top of one of the tribunes. Many people were sitting in groups, someone on stage was singing, and another one playing a beautiful melody on a guitar. Mark had only seen one guitar that someone in his clan had. It always sounded so beautiful when melodies were played on it and the people would sing songs.

This song was far from what Mark was used to. It was made for a solo singer, and the woman on stage had a clear voice. She sang of the End, of turning hatred to love in a new future. Their future.

Haechan looked back at the others. “Johnny, Jaehyun and I liked going here. If Johnny wanted to blend in, he would go here. We’re good at blending in.” Haechan smiled and looked down at the lady.

Without thinking Mark voiced his thoughts. “You? Blending in?” He repeated and Haechan turned around to face him with a frown, but it wasn’t of anger but of confusion. Mark blinked and removed his gaze from Haechan. His cheeks felt warm and he wanted to curse at himself. The corners of Haechan’s lips went upwards and he looked away from Mark.

  “As I was saying,” Haechan continued after clearing his throat. Jeno and Taeyong were eyeing the two of them. “We will find Johnny here.”

 


 

They stood in a row, all of them scanning the people sitting on the tribunes. It was a round theater, few places stairs went down, there were no seats, it was just one long step for people to sit on. Haechan saw him before the others and he immediately tried to find his way around. Taeyong was quick to follow along. Jeno did too, but he seemed very captivated by the lady singing.

Mark saw him before he started moving. Behind a group of teens sat a tall figure. He had his hood up, shielding his face. He was reading in a book casually, but when Mark focused on him he noticed Johnny was noting things down in it. Mark turned to his right and followed the rest of the group around the half circle and he reached them just when Haechan jumped Johnny.

Haechan gave Johnny a quick hug. It made the teens turn around and look, but they didn’t seem to think much of a group of boys greeting each other. Johnny’s features changed into an expression of relief. He looked up at Mark and Jeno and grinned. Taeyong seemed to stay in the background. Johnny noticed him there too.

  “You came for me!” He said with relief and Haechan frowned.

  “Of course.” He said sternly. “Always.”

Johnny patted Haechan’s arm and looked at them all. “The guards are seriously taking anyone similar to my looks. I have not angered any of them, it’s not me they are looking for.” He said and Mark frowned.

  “Then who are they looking for?” He asked and Johnny shrugged.

  “I just can’t risk being taken in for questioning. I had to lay low. Sorry for making you worry and come here.”

Jeno shook his head. “You shouldn’t be alone.” He stated and Haechan agreed by shaking his head.

  “We should head back before it gets dark.” He said and pointed up to refer to Taeyong and Mark. Johnny turned around to give them a look.

  “Why did you come here?” He asked them and Mark stuck out his bottom lip.

  “To save you…”

Johnny threw his head back with a laugh. “This is my hometown. I got it.” He assured Mark. “Well, let’s get out of here, can’t risk you two getting seen.” He said and Mark felt like now he and Taeyong had become the problem.

Johnny got up and followed them out of the area. Jeno glanced back at the singing woman who was singing a new song, and then he entered the busy street with the others.


 

 

 

They were all in a good mood. They weren’t worrying about Roxes attacking them or a need to fight. For now they were all just enjoying the scenery and the culture that the 1st Clan had. They reached a large square, where the road went in a circle around a statue in the middle. It had been abused by the weather and received damage from the Last War. Yet it had once been in the shape of a woman with wings. Mark was amazed by the view of her, and found himself stopping up to look at her.

  “There are a religious group worshipping her, but they’re pretty peaceful about it. It’s not allowed to have a religious group if it involves any hate.” Haechan explained in a gentle voice. He stood right beside Mark and looked up at the statue as well. Mark turned his head to look at the other. Haechan’s eyes looked bright, he looked wistful as he stood there. Mark wondered if Haechan wished he could go back to his days with Jaehyun and Johnny. Before they had to escape. Mark looked down at Haechan’s hand. People were walking past them, a few stalls had been put up in the square so it was pretty busy. Mark reached out his own hand, holding his breath before sliding his fingers into Haechan’s palm. The other gasped, but his hand didn’t flee Mark’s touch. Haechan turned his eyes away from the statue and looked at Mark. “I wonder if we can come here again. Together.”
Mark felt the future weigh down on his heart. He had forgotten it for a moment. As he held Haechan’s hand he felt assured that yes, soon they would stand here. Together.

Mark nodded, reassuring Haechan, whose eyes waited for Mark to answer. “We will.” He promised and pressed a kiss to Haechan’s cheek. “Soon.”

 

 

 

 

They were finding their way back through the streets. They took a small alleyway to find the weapons Johnny had hid, and stood in the alley’s shadows. Mark and Taeyong lowered their heads to keep their eyes hidden. Taeyong leaned against a wall, and eyed Johnny who was moving a box to get his weapon. Jeno turned around to look the other way. There was a sound of muffled music. Many instruments this time, not just one. Johnny got up as he attached his sheath and sword to his belt. Mark and Taeyong closed their eyes when two men passed by.

Johnny looked at the two Damned. “It wasn’t wise to come in here.” He told them.

Mark peeked through his lashes. “We thought it through, Johnny.” He told the other. “If we needed strength-”

  “Haechan is strong.” Johnny was quick to argue. “Jeno is too. Being Damned doesn’t make you guys any better-”

Taeyong opened his eyes, and with his bangs shielding them, they had a soft glow. “But it does.” He spoke calmly. “Which is why people fear us.” He said and pushed himself off the wall, that he was leaning on. “Like you are.”

Johnny gritted his teeth, taking a step forwards. “I do not-”


 

 

  “Waaaahahahaha!”

The voice was deep, but full of glee and thrill, as it filled the space, and after it came the sound of steps and chaos. Johnny rose to full height and Haechan stepped in front of Mark to shield him. Taeyong hid behind Jeno. A figure came from one alleyway and changed course to run into the one they were standing in. His hood fell off at the amount of speed he had, and his brown hair flew back, revealing his face. He was grinning, despite looking like he had been running for quite some time.

He had bushy eyebrows, arched above big eyes, a long nose and full lips. He was very handsome, and he was definitely human. His height matched Johnny’s and Mark realized those who were after him were guards. Which meant they would clash with them too, and they couldn’t afford that in such a dark alleyway.

Mark stepped out of Haechan’s shadow, making sure his face was in the light when he got in the runner’s way. “You can’t run this way.” He said in a controlled voice and the other slid to a stop. He slowly rose up to full height and looked down at Mark. He was panting, they could hear the guards chasing him coming closer.

  “Why not?” He asked, eyes running over Mark and the others.

  “We can’t let him get caught.” Haechan suddenly spoke and Jeno groaned. “He has seen too much.”

Johnny was quick, acting on Haechan’s words, and he grabbed the taller boy and they moved down the alleyway. Then Haechan went up a couple of steps and pushed a door open. The music flowed out of the door and everyone quickly stepped in before the door closed.

It took Mark a moment. He was listening to the sound of the guards and if they would run past them or come inside. In that short moment he forgot his eyes were open and that the room he was in was in darkness. Mark closed his eyes, realizing the runner could’ve seen him.

The guards’ steps seemed to slow for a moment as if they were listening for a sign to where the runner had gone. Then they suddenly sped up and Mark sighed in relief. They took another moment of being in the club that had a live band on stage, then they all walked out of the door. Mark opened his eyes again and turned around. Johnny had the boy or should Mark call him a man, in his grip, but the man wasn’t looking at Johnny with shock, but at Mark. It wasn’t exactly shock. It looked more like awe.

Mark pressed his lips into a thin line. Staying quiet and just waiting for anything to happen. For the man to say something, but the other didn’t. Haechan was getting in front of him, looking up at him. “Who are you?”

The man huffed. “Why should’A answer to ya?”

Everyone frowned and tilted their heads simultaneously. That had sounded like complete nonsense to them. Haechan shook his head, trying to focus. “We just saved your life.”

The man hummed, his brown hair falling over his face. He was sweating after running so much and he was dressed in all black and loose clothes. The clothes were light but a jacket was tied around his waist. “Did ya really naw?”

Johnny rolled his eyes and took a step around the man before he slammed him into the wall. “You have 3 seconds, or I’ll kill you right here in this dirty alley.”

The man cocked a brow, but he looked a little frightened now. “Not yet, big fellah, got lots of time to live.” He said while raising his hands. “Ya’ll be a lil too crazy to come from this clan… Ya’ll were hiding too!”

  “Knock it off!” Johnny commanded, and the other grimaced, but then a grin found its way onto his lips again.

  “Call me Lucas.” He said with a wide smile. “Honor to meet ya.”

Johnny threw Lucas to the side in annoyance and Lucas found his balance before he fell. “His accent his driving me crazy.” Johnny muttered and Jeno chuckled.

  “It’s pretty funny.” He admitted.

Lucas eyed them all and then looked at Mark as the Damned stepped forward. “What’s your crime? Why are you running, Lucas?”

Lucas looked at Mark and when he spoke he sounded breathless. “A lil bit of stealing, no worries.” He grinned and Mark squinted at him. He opened his mouth to speak when he noticed Taeyong straighten up and that was when he heard the steps and the voices.

  “I told you. He would hide. He can’t run all da- Hey!”

Mark looked at the four guards that stood in the other end of the alleyway. They were all dressed in green, and had tight clothes but a cape around their necks. They also carried weapons, but they were not sharp blades. They were not suited up to kill, but so wasn’t most of the group. Johnny looked down at his weapon before he sighed.

  “Just run.” He told the others before everyone spun around to run away. The guards called out for them to stop. They followed them and so the chase began.

 

 

 

 

The clouds had gathered on the sky, yet the sun still tried to peek through. Mark and the others turned and ran into the square again. Up against the grey canvas the statue of the woman reached up towards the sky, and Mark gazed up upon her before he had to focus on avoiding colliding with people. They ended up in the middle of the market and Mark stopped up to see Lucas beside him, but the others were not with them. They were running another way. Mark made a small jump to get himself started so he could follow, but then his eyes connected with a guard that had come in between them.

  “Here!” The guard signaled to the others and Mark reached out and grabbed Lucas’ arm, dragging him in the direction of west, hoping they could reach a wall that wasn’t watched and get over it. Lucas’ long legs kept up with Mark’s speed, and the two of them got out of the square and onto a street. The road they were on took them down into a tunnel, and Mark immediately stopped. “Not this way.” He quickly spoke and ran to his right to jump up the wall, to get himself out of the dipping road. He reached down to help Lucas up and as they ran to get to a different road, the guards saw them and were now right at their heels.

Then Mark saw it in the distance. After more streets, he finally saw an end to them. They were at the outskirts of town. Lucas seemed out of breath, and Mark turned to look up at the apartment complex before him. He quickly went through the front door, and Lucas followed him, but the other lacked stamina now. Mark had to slow down in order to keep the other with him as they climbed the stairs. “Come on, Lucas!” Mark pleaded and Lucas just groaned.

  “A’ve run ma legs off.” Lucas gasped and pulled himself up using the railing. Mark looked through a window. One of the doors led to a terrace and he pushed it open. The guards were making noise at the entrance, they were in the staircase now.

The two of them walked across the terrace to find the edge of it. Mark looked down at the wall that had its distance, but he was sure he could make it. Lucas too if they ran first and got a good speed. “Okay,” Mark began and glanced back at the door. “Let’s jump now before they come.”

Lucas was gripping the edge of the building as if his life depended on it. “A’ve run long enough.” He then said and eyed the door. “Cain’t keep running.”

Mark felt panic creep onto him. “Lucas, you have to come.”

  “A won’t tell.” The man suddenly said and lifted his head to look up at Mark. Mark knew what the other was talking about. Not just that Mark helped, not just about Mark escaping, but what Mark really was.

  “I’m coming back.” Mark found himself saying. He knew he was risking their mission by telling Lucas this, but if Lucas would promise not to tell about a Damned entering the Fallen City. Mark would make sure to free the thief as soon as he could. “I will get you out of here.” He promised.

  “Thanks.” Lucas said and got up on his feet. He was much taller than Mark. “Keep ya word?”

  “I always try my best.” Mark said sincerely and Lucas grinned.

  “Deal.”

Mark took a few steps back, finding this the right time to leave Lucas. The taller watched Mark prepare himself for the jump. “Hey, what’s ya name?”

Mark was focused on the final step but shifted his gaze to Lucas for a short moment. “Mark.”

Lucas’ eyes were on the ground. “A will tell ma kin of what ya done for me.”

Mark eyed Lucas, also listening to the steps of the guards at the same time. “Wait until I’ve gotten you out, okay?” He said with a pull at the corner of his lips. Lucas chuckled.

  “Right.” He admitted and then walked away to give Mark more space to jump.

Mark set off. His legs took him towards the edge and he stepped off with all his strength, sending him over a narrow garden and over the wall. He flailed his arms to keep himself upright before kicking off when he hit ground and sending him rolling forwards to lessen the damage of his fall. He looked up at Lucas who was looking down at him.

  “Hey Mark!” He yelled as the guards barged through. “Blue suits ya.”

Lucas was pulled out of sight, and Mark ran up to the wall and pressed his body against it. He calmed his breathing and listened to the guards leaving down the staircase with Lucas. He slid down to sit by the wall for a moment, taking it all in.

 

 

 

He was separated from the group. He had no weapon. He escaped the Fallen City’s guards and left someone with the knowledge of him behind. Someone who had an odd accent and an identity that perhaps wasn’t as true as they thought. Maybe Lucas wasn’t just a simple thief?

If he wasn’t it made the situation even worse, but Mark found his own voice of reason prove to him, that if Lucas hadn’t been from the 1st Clan, why would he want to stay? He obviously didn’t fear the punishment enough and maybe he had a home within the city’s walls?

 

 

 

Mark sighed. It wasn’t time to worry about Lucas, who he had only known so briefly. It was time to worry about getting back to their camp, without any means to defend himself, and not exactly knowing where he was.

 

 

 

A/N:

Why did you take so long to update?
 - I was not motivated by the small amount of comments, but I also was kind of stuck and so I just focused on my life for a moment.

Are you back?
 - I will keep writing, but if you'd love quicker updates, leave some kind words, it really motivates me. <33

Also: I've missed this. So happy I finally got my mind to work and wrote this. 

Love,
Emma <3

(Happy late birthday to my fellow leo -  and happy birthday to me <3)