Without You

1:31 AM

I had known something was wrong. I knew something was wrong, why didn't I do anything… Jaebum, I miss you.

 

“Are you ready Youngjae?” Youngjae is snapped out of his thoughts, Jackson stands in front of him.

 

Youngjae nods, “yeah, just a little nervous.” Youngjae wasn't just nervous. He was filled with so many emotions he couldn't possibly name them all. He just felt, lonely.

 

“Okay good, it really is a shame that Jaebum has to sit back stage. Oh, you're on in five by the way.” Jackson smiles and trots off towards Bambam who's busy prepping for their next performance.

 

Youngjae turns to the black chair that faces the monitor of the stadium. Jaebum sits there watching the monitor, his back perfectly straight and aligned with the curve of the chair.

 

It hurts inside of Youngjae as he walks over to Jaebum, his hand reaches for the leader's large hands.

 

“Youngjae you're up soon, you don't need to warm up?” Jaebum draws his eyes away from the monitor and straight into Youngjae's eyes.

 

“No, I-” Youngjae stops short, his tongue stuck in his throat.

 

I don't want to do this, not without you.

 

“Hey…” Jaebum's hand squeezes gently on Youngjae's, “you'll do fine. Remember, I'm right backstage.” Jaebum gives a reassuring smile to Youngjae in attempt to calm the worried boy.

 

“Yeah…”

 

“Youngjae you're on!” A staff member calls from the entrance to the stadium and Youngjae knows it's time.

 

“You can do it Youngjae.” Jaebum Youngjae's hand on last time before letting go.

 

Youngjae leaves Jaebum's side and walks up to the stage.

 

The large crowd of IGOT7’s scream loudly as his body becomes visible on the large screen. All of them hold their new lightstick, the green colour lights up the stadium as the lights dim.

 

Youngjae sits down at the piano, the white empty seat behind him only reminds him that Jaebum's not there. The fans quiet down. The soundtrack slowly starts and a dim blue light shines on center stage.

 

Youngjae plays the piano, his own voice harmonizes with Jaebum's prerecorded voice.

 

The whole time that Youngjae sings, his heart pounds loudly. The song that Jaebum had wrote for this specific day. Finally, a duet for the two of them.

 

Youngjae continues to sing as his hands fly over the black piano.

 

Why did this happen? Why am I doing this alone? Jaebum. It hurts.

 

Youngjae stands up from the piano seat during Jaebum's part and he stares into the endless sea of light. He feels the tears welling up in his eyes.

 

He sings. The fans sway their light sticks to the rythym of the song. Their song.

 

I don't want to do this without you. Why aren't you here. Are you watching? Why…

 

Youngjae doesn't realise that he has stopped singing, the tears drip down his face and become visible to the fans.

 

The fan cry to him, Jaebum's soundtrack finishes the song. Youngjae looks down at the floor. “Don't cry Youngjae ah!” The fans scream to Youngjae, the boy trembles.

 

The light dims and Youngjae walks as fast he can down back stage. Jaebum waits there at the entrance, standing up awkwardly as though his back were bothering him.

 

Youngjae walks into Jaebum's arms gently, careful not to hurt Jaebum's back any further. Jaebum wraps his arms around Youngjae's body.

 

Youngjae's soft whimpers break Jaebum's heart. Jaebum Youngjae's hair gently. “You did well Youngjae.”

 

Jaebum embraces the boy for minutes on end, going into between Youngjae's back and ruffling his soft hair.


“You did well Youngjae. You did well.”