1/1

Nobody's Going to Love Me Better

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun peeks out from behind a locker, with the locker’s actual owner giving him weird looks but lets him be, as it was considered normal for the other to pull these sort of random antics. The antic of the day was waiting for Do Kyungsoo, residential best friend, and crush, to come by his locker.

 

Speaking of the devil, the boy Baekhyun was waiting for finally comes walking towards his locker right on the dot. Punctual as always. Kyungsoo comes strolling in and Baekhyun just smiles and rubs his hands together. The boy next to him rolls his eyes but continues storing his books into his locker.

 

Kyungsoo takes his time opening his lock, fingers idly spinning the dial. Baekhyun is nearly biting his fingers.

 

“Lock it after you’re done with whatever you’re doing, alright?” Baekhyun takes the lock from the student and waves him away, earning another eye roll but Baekhyun pays no attention to that. He’s paying attention to Kyungsoo holding the pink envelope and flipping it back and forth in his hands with his blank expression. Baekhyun quickly hides behind the locker door when Kyungsoo suddenly looks towards his direction. He can feel himself sweating in very unpleasant places as he pretends to busily shuffle through books that aren’t his-

 

“This isn’t your locker.”

 

Baekhyun jumps and slams his head forward into the stack of books and winces with mock pain as he turns around. Kyungsoo stands there with an amused smile.

 

“Oh...haha…yeah um…the guy who owns this locker, uh…”

           

“Seunghoon?”

 

“Yeah! That guy. He wanted me to put some books in his locker because he had to stay behind with Mrs. Kim and didn’t want to be late to his next class so being the generous guy that I am…” Baekhyun laughs nervously and nods to himself. That was a pretty good save.

 

“But I just saw him-“

           

“Anyway!” Baekhyun cuts in pushing Kyungsoo away from the locker as he shuts it. “Now that I’ve done Hoonie that favor let’s go to our next class!” Kyungsoo arches an eyebrow at him.

 

“Okay…” Kyungsoo says as he lets Baekhyun push him forward.

 

“Actually! I’m going to use the bathroom you go right on ahead.” Baekhyun says suddenly. Kyungsoo starts to turn but Baekhyun slaps his hands on his shoulders and urges him forward.

 

“I can just wait for-“

 

“Go on now!” Kyungsoo grumbles as Baekhyun pushes him even harder. “Alright, alright jeez. How much caffeine did you consume this morning?” But Kyungsoo relents and walks ahead. Baekhyun waits until Kyungsoo turns the corner before rushing to the other boy’s locker.

 

He spins the dial quickly and unlocks it and scrambled through the boys papers and books but frowns when he couldn’t find that familiar pink envelope.

 

Where is it…?

           

He scratches his head and decides to just head onto class. When he turns around his eyes catch onto pink. He finds just what he was looking for. His love letter. In the trash. Baekhyun bites his fist so he wouldn’t scream. He runs to it and picks it up and takes out to the letter.

 

I liked you for a long time.

 

Will You meet me at the oak tree by the courtyard afterschool if interested?

 

Yes

No

 

“He could’ve at least circled no before trashing it…” Baekhyun sighs dejectedly as he throws it back in the bin and slowly walks towards class.

 

Baekhyun has never been a romantic person. He was good at singing love songs at karaoke but that is as far as his romantic level goes. He once gave a girl a flower he found on the side of the street but after ’The Incident’, dubbed by Jongdae (honestly, he did not see the worm) Baekhyun has refrained from such acts.

 

But he at least has more of a romantic bone in his body than Do Kyungsoo. For people who do not know Kyungsoo well they think he is cold, intimidating, quiet, stiff, and loves to glare at people. He is only half of those things but for Baekhyun, the one who grew up with Kyungsoo, knows he is far from the snobby, I-think-I’m-better-than-everyone person that strangers dub him as. They don’t know the Kyungsoo that shares his lunch with Baekhyun every day because he knows Baekhyun can’t get full from just one serving. He even indulges Baekhyun and lets the older boy feed him at times. They don’t know the Kyungsoo that helped Chanyeol study all night and the morning before his most crucial finals (even though he nearly made Chanyeol cry with his strict teaching methods-it was all done with good intentions.) They weren’t there when Kyungsoo held Jongdae’s hand all throughout the butterfly exhibit at the museum and that he didn’t laugh when Jongdae shared his giant fear of butterflies while Chanyeol and Baekhyun had laughed their asses off.

 

However on the romantic side, that was where Kyungsoo was lacking. Kyungsoo was fairly popular at school. Girls seemed to like his quiet but hard working, sturdy nature and boys respected him because he wasn’t afraid to stand up for himself. Kyungsoo is in every way, a straightforward and honest person who is true to his friends, family, and other people he cares about. But no matter who showed interest in him in the romantic sense, Kyungsoo never batted an eye towards their direction. He made pleasant conversations with people and would listen intently to others but for dating purposes, it was a no go.

 

Kyungsoo enjoyed keeping to himself and occasionally lets in Baekhyun, Jongdae, and Chanyeol. Baekhyun liked to think that he favors him a little more than the other two. Especially when Kyungsoo brushes the crumbs of food from Baekhyun’s lips or when he brushes his hair away from his eyes. Those are the times Baekhyun feels he can die happy.

 

Baekhyun’s not sure when it started to become Baekhyun’s Grand Adventures with Chanyeol and Jongdae to just Baekhyun and Kyungsoo’s Grand Adventures. He was sure that the new kid who was introduced to his class in fifth grade was going to be a total bore by the way he pushed his glasses up his nose every five seconds and eyed the ladybugs in the grass during recess. But Kyungsoo became so much more than that when he handed Baekhyun his chocolate milk after he spilled his own all over the floor. Ten-year-old Kyungsoo hadn’t said a word. Just simply shoved his carton of milk into Baekhyun’s thin fingers and walked away.  Baekhyun might as well have fallen in love then.

 

Chanyeol and Jongdae looked worriedly at Baekhyun who was unusually quiet during their second period class together. He just kept sighing and murmuring encouraging words to himself. Kyungsoo, who sat a couple of rows away from them, didn’t turn around once. Baekhyun frowns at the lack of attention and sighs louder, loud enough for Kyungsoo to hear and quiet enough so Mr. Song didn’t. And he knows Kyungsoo hears him by the stiffening of his shoulders.

 

“Kyungsoooooo-“ Baekhyun whisper-whines.

Kyungsoo still doesn’t turn and even Chanyeol nudges Baekhyun to stop. Jongdae whispers to him if he’s alright but Baekhyun just rests his head down in the safety of his arms.

 

How many more times will he continue sneaking letters into Kyungsoo’s locker just for the boy to throw them into the trash?

 

Baekhyun follows Kyungsoo to the boy’s locker like a lost puppy after class. He just feels the need to feel close to him and he hopes Kyungsoo will at least feel pity for him and run his hands through his hair the way he likes. Kyungsoo notices him but doesn’t comment on how his locker is the complete opposite way of Baekhyun’s next class.

 

Kyungsoo silently opens his locker and takes out his book for the next class but frowns when he sees a piece of paper attached to the front.

 

Baekhyun’s eyes widen. He didn’t recall leaving another letter…did he? Kyungsoo doesn’t even look at it as he rips it from his book, fingers idly smoothing out the cover to make sure there wasn’t any damage, before crumbling the piece of paper into a ball and tossing it into the trash. Baekhyun opens his mouth and closes it; in a loss for words.

 

“Aren’t you going to be late? We’re hanging out today so why are you waiting around for me?”

 

Baekhyun snaps out of it and pouts.

 

“Don’t you like having me around?”

 

Kyungsoo smiles and pinches Baekhyun’s waist, making the other yelp and jump away from him.

 

“I’ll see you afterschool, don’t miss me too much,” Kyungsoo jokes as he pats Baekhyun on the back. It isn’t exactly the same as the hands-through-the-hair feeling he was hoping for but he’ll take it. Baekhyun gives a small smile as he watches Kyungsoo go into his classroom.

 

“I’ll always miss you because you always feel so far away,” Baekhyun mutters. The bell suddenly rings and the boy curses, knowing he’ll be at least five minutes late now that he has to walk all the way to the other side of the hallway. Just before he dashes there, curiosity gets the best of him and he walks towards the trash bin instead.

 

He tries to straighten out the crumbled paper and glances around for a name.

 

Hyunsik. That bastard.

 

But a good thing did come out of it. Baekhyun never wrote his name on his letters, not even a simple hint of who it could be. Kyungsoo could very well be thinking all those past letters were from Hyunsik!

 

“You! Get to class right now. No loitering.”

 

With a quick toss of the letter into the trash he yells back a ‘yes, sir!’ to the hallway monitor and quickly runs to his class with newfound hope in his heart.

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun waits nervously for Kyungsoo at the oak tree they usually meet at. Chanyeol and Jongdae came in tow with wide smiles with Kyungsoo sandwiched between them looking murderous.

 

“Our Kyungie here got another love letter! This person must be persistent,” Chanyeol teases as he pats Kyungsoo hard on the back. “Of course they should be because they’re trying to win over the ice prince here.”

 

Jongdae just laughs and pinches Kyungsoo’s cheeks making him groan. “Leave me alone, I threw it out already.”

 

“Kyungsoo, don’t you just want to hear them out?” Baekhyun asks quietly. Kyungsoo stops warding off Chanyeol and Jongdae’s teasing hands and looks at Baekhyun.

 

“Why would I?” Kyungsoo says and turns just when Baekhyun’s face falls. Baekhyun forces out a laugh when Kyungsoo looks at him again.

 

“Yeah…” If he wouldn’t fall for perfect Hyunsik why would he fall for good-for-nothing Baekhyun?

 

“So ready to go?” Kyungsoo says.

 

“Actually something came up…I’m gonna head out first,” Baekhyun says as he quickly grabs his bag and rushes ahead, leaving the three confused.

 

“What’s going on with him lately?” Jongdae wonders. Kyungsoo turns to him with a confused look, silently asking him to clarify. “His mood changes all the time, he’s just been weird honestly. As if he’s anxiously waiting around for something. Maybe that new video game he just ordered…”

 

“Yeah I can’t wait!”

 

Kyungsoo tunes the two out, as they share their excitement over the game, and frowns. He tells the two they can go on without him and that he’ll check up on Baekhyun. He waves them off to have fun when they offer to go with him. Baekhyun would feel too overwhelmed if they all corner him so maybe if there was only one person, he would open up hopefully.

 

Baekhyun opens the door surprisingly quick when Kyungsoo knocks.

 

“Hey, what are you doing here?” Baekhyun says, eyes widening when he sees Kyungsoo in front of him.

 

“I’m just here to see you. You seemed kind of down today. Can I come in?” Kyungsoo asks. Baekhyun nods and lets the other in. Kyungsoo sits down on the couch and pats his lap. Baekhyun immediately jumps onto the couch and lays his head on his lap, facing away from him, Kyungsoo eyes him fondly when Baekhyun leads Kyungsoo’s hand into his soft hair. He begins running his fingers through his locks and Baekhyun hums in satisfaction. Such a pup, easy to please, Kyungsoo thinks as he smiles.

 

“So you ready to talk?”

 

“Let’s just stay like this for a while,” Baekhyun’s voice was weak and pleading, who was Kyungsoo to deny that request?

 

They both sit in silence, only the sounds of Baekhyun adjusting himself to be more comfortable from time to time. Baekhyun traces his finger absentmindedly on Kyungsoo’s thigh and lets out a sigh.

 

“Okay, I’m ready,” Baekhyun’s normally loud voice reduced to a whisper but it still cut through the silence like a thick knife making Kyungsoo’s normally composed being feel anxious.

 

“I like you.”

 

Out of all things Kyungsoo expected Baekhyun to say, this was not it. It was said in one single breath, rush as if he just wanted to put it out there for the sake of it.

 

“I liked you for a long time. I was the one slipping letters into your locker. Well I knew your combo so it wasn’t hard but you always ignored them when you read them and it hurt. So bad.”

 

Kyungsoo sat there quietly, still Baekhyun’s hair, listening. Baekhyun’s finger on his thigh begins to tremble.

 

“I thought, damn I really don’t have a chance do I? Of course I don’t. But then you got a letter today, a letter not actually from me. You ignored it just the same and I thought maybe I had a chance. Maybe you kept thinking it was someone else but you would be okay with it if it were me. But then that’s absurd because who would reject Hyunsik but accept me-“

 

“I would.”

 

Baekhyun's head stiffens on his lap. The finger stops and instead a hand grips tight in its place.

 

“You would be the only person I would accept doing something as cheesy as putting letters into my locker. I really didn’t think you would do that because you don’t have a romantic bone in your body. After all these years you still surprise me, ByunBaek.”

 

Baekhyun can’t help tears surfacing in his eyes. He hurriedly wipes them away and sniffles once. He also can’t help the smile spreading on his face and silently hopes Kyungsoo would continue talking like this. His ego sure wouldn’t mind.

 

“If you put your name on them I would for sure have circled yes. Then I would have seen your stupid face waiting for me at the tree and would have kissed the daylights out of you. Who even writes anonymous letters anymore, silly. At least Hyunsik-“

 

Kyungsoo’s words get cut off when he gets a face stuffed of Baekhyun, lips sloppily crashing into his and hands squishing his cheeks together and resting hard onto his lap and half his abdomen. Kyungsoo’s hands instinctively wrap around Baekhyun’s waist.

 

Kyungsoo’s noise of surprise turns to one of content as Baekhyun the small hairs on the back of his neck and slips his tongue into his mouth. Both of them lay comfortably down onto the couch, lips meeting again and again with the heat between the two steadily increasing. Kyungsoo pinches Baekhyun’s waist when Baekhyun bites his lips a little too hard.

 

But Baekhyun would always give him small little pecks after in apology and Kyungsoo can’t help but laugh. Which made Baekhyun laugh. Baekhyun rests his forehead against Kyungsoo’s and smiles down at him, eyes just taking the image of Kyungsoo laying under him, nearly breathless from making out with him. With his toned arms wrapped around just like he had always imagined. Just the thought of it makes Baekhyun want to smile forever.

 

“I can’t believe this is happening,” Baekhyun says. “I also can’t believe I kissed you because you said Hyunsik’s name.”

 

“Wow, then I should say his name more often if it gets you riled up like this,” Kyungsoo teases and laughs when Baekhyun glares down at him. “Kidding, only your name will come out of this mouth.”

 

“Damn right,” Baekhyun says as he kisses him once more. Baekhyun really is like an eager puppy, Kyungsoo thinks. His eyes widen as Baekhyun grinds his down onto his crotch. A little too eager.

 

“Why don’t we take this to the bedroom?” Baekhyun says looking intensely into Kyungsoo’s eyes.  Kyungsoo gulps.

 

 

 

“There you two are! What the hell happened to you two yesterday?” Jongdae says when they show up to class together.

 

“Yeah Jongdae crushed me so bad at the arcade because my lucky charm Kyungsoo wasn’t there,” Chanyeol says ruffling Kyungsoo’s hair.

 

“I was winning because my bad luck charm wasn’t there,” Jongdae smirks as Baekhyun let out an affronted noise of discontent.

 

“So what, are you two a thing. Is that why you two secretly had ‘something come up’?” Chanyeol questioned with finger air quotations and all.

 

Baekhyun can’t help the smile that spreads across his face even when Kyungsoo shakes his head adamantly.

 

“Of course we are! Honeyboo, come here,” he says, making a big show of smacking his lips against Kyungsoo’s cheek loudly.

 

Kyungsoo grimaces but relentlessly smiles wide as well.

 

Chanyeol and Jongdae proceed to make exaggerated puking noises but they eventually approved and were waiting for the day Baekhyun would stop making puppy eyes towards the smaller boy.

 

They both decide to head to class early so they could give the lovebirds some time alone.

 

Baekhyun doesn’t hesitate to kiss Kyungsoo on the cheeks all over, giving an excuse on how he’s ‘finally allowed to now that you’re all mine’, ignoring Kyungsoo’s half-assed protests and the stares of the students still loitering around the hallway.

 

“I’m going to die by your hands aren’t I?” Kyungsoo manages when he escapes Baekhyun’s clutches.

 

“Sorry to say this so early in our relationship but…prepare yourself, you’re in for a wild ride.” Kyungsoo allows himself to be pulled back into Baekhyun’s side and smiles at the slipping of Baekhyun’s thin fingers into his calloused ones. Baekhyun kisses the corner of his mouth, soft and delicate, unlike his playful ones from before. This was sweet, lingering, and full of the affection Baekhyun has been holding out from way too long.

 

“Give me all you got,” Kyungsoo says as his hand holds onto Baekhyun’s tight.

 

 

 


made some minor corrections to this one that i caught in the one posted on exoquartus OTL but yeah im glad the prompter liked it