Liquid

Songs to Learn and Sing

“Jaehwan?”

“Yeah?”

“Can you come listen to this for a moment?”

It was really late in the evening and Jaehwan was longing for his warm bed and the fresh sheets he had put on a couple of hours earlier. But Wonshik had fallen into a work loop, an idea having suddenly dawned upon him and making him attached to his computer for hours – all of his attention in his work. Jaehwan loved watching him like that; so concentrated and completely immersed in his own world. He would forget everything around him, and it was kind of beautiful to watch he thought. He loved how genuinely he worked for his dream.

He had been watching him from the other side of the couch, pretending to be watching a show on TV, but really just observing how Wonshik’s face changed as he worked. Frowns, smiles, sighs and unreadable expressions of utter concentration suited him so well.

He moved closer to Wonshik sitting crosslegged with laptop in lap across from him on the couch. Both their knees touching;  facing each other. They sat like that so often, talking about the many things they loved.

“What did you make this time?” He asked as he held a hand out for the headphones. There was an insecurity in Wonshik’s face that would never disappear no matter how much Jaehwan praised him, and it appeared once again as he avoided his eyes and handed him the headphones. Expensive and big, isolating out all disturbing sound; a gift from Taekwoon. He took them carefully, felt like he had to with such an expensive and precious thing.

“Just something… I don’t really know what it is.” Wonshik mumbles. Jaehwan smiled but Wonshik could not see; too busy staring at the screen instead. He put on the headphones and nodded to let him play the work.

It was different from what Wonshik normally made. It was certainly not hip hop, the melody clear and played out with a beautiful classical piano that Jaehwan knew would sound very elegant once played out with a real instrument and not just a piano plugin on his program. His fingers itched at the sound, even though he could not play. He felt his smile grow as the beautiful melody continued. It was a beautiful composition, sounding a little melancholic and off but still very soothing.

Wonshik was watching his reactions intently, reading his face and eyes to judge his real reaction and not just the words. He knew what Jaehwan would say; that it was amazing and that he was talented. But he wanted to know for sure. He didn’t trust Jaehwan to tell him if something needed a change. It was sort of true; Jaehwan didn’t think his opinion mattered much – he was no composer, only a singer. He knew nothing about this to the extent of deserving an opinion. But he never felt the praise he gave was in any way undeserved. He never lied.

The melody stopped and he sighed. He wanted more.

He lifted one side of the heavy headphones; “Can I hear it one more time?” he asked. Wonshik nodded eagerly, and played it again right away.

The melody was short and unfinished, but it certainly gave away what was to come. This would certainly become a beautiful ballad.

This time he let his body sway at the melody and he could see the glee in Wonshik’s eyes. And with that Jaehwan felt his chest grow warm and his fingers found his knee and squeezed.

“It’s really beautiful.” He said when he pried off the headphones carefully and handed them back to Wonshik. He, in turn, never knew what to answer. He wanted to ask questions Jaehwan could not answer; questions for composers and producers.

“Who is it for?” He asked instead of waiting for Wonshik to find one he can answer.

“For you of course.” He said, and his face was such an open book – of course it’s for you, it said, who else? And Jaehwan felt like adoration consumed him, his entire body tight around him like he was being hugged too hard.

“Thank you.” He said with difficulty, moved to the core. He wondered what the song came from. What was on his mind when he wrote such a melody?

Wonshik smiled shyly and looked at him with those eyes that never lied – the ones that told him of love and longing every day like it was a religion.

What did he ever do to deserve such love?

Surely he must have been a hero.

Reading the emotion overwhelming Jaehwan; Wonshik quickly set away his laptop – his work done for the night – and careful fingers reached out for him. Jaehwan was tired. So, so tired. He felt like he was melting. He didn’t have the strength to hold on as his emotions took over and he fell into a rising Wonshik and was carried away from their livingroom and to their bed, head hanging over his shoulder and legs sloppily wrapped around his middle.

Still hugging they fell carefully onto the bed with a grunt and Wonshik panted with effort as he rolled back off the bed and started undressing his jeans.

Hand coming up to cover his eyes from the world as his heavy and tired body melted into the sheets like liquid, he heard himself breathe heavier than necessary. He felt like he was going to cry, honestly, the feeling coming over him in waves.

He couldn’t really understand what came over him all of a sudden, but he didn’t question it as he felt his pants were opened and tugged off him with effort. He grunted as he tried to lift his legs and help, but he was drained.

What time was it? He didn’t really know, he had been too busy watching to notice time passing.

Bedcovers covered him and soon he felt the warmth of Wonshik’s body by his side and he immediately crawled into it, wanting to be a part of it. He wanted to consume him, it felt like, because at the moment he could never be close enough. So he held on to him as hard as he could with his exhausted body and sighed in relief when he felt calm come over him and his brain immediately felt like it was drifting off to sleep.