Chapter 2

The Coffee Cup

“Byulll, are you even listening to what I’m saying?”

Byulyi blinked as a hand waved in front of her face.

“Huh?” She said, dumbfounded.

Yongsun sighed and leaned back in her chair.

“Honestly, have you listened to anything I’ve said today?” She pouted, but Byulyi could tell she wasn’t really mad from the way she puffed out her cheeks.

“Ah, sorry. I guess I’ve been out of it today.” Byulyi smiled apologetically and scratched the back of her head.

“Is something going on?” Yongsun asked and leaned forward again. It was a cool Saturday evening, and the two friends were sitting at a table in the empty café. They had just closed the place, and were waiting for Yongsun’s parents to call them to dinner. In the past six months that she’d worked at The Coffee Cup, Byulyi had almost become part of the Kim family, and they often invited her over for dinner. Byulyi absolutely loved it. Mr and Mrs Kim was the nicest couple she’d ever met, and Yongsun had quickly become one of her best friends.

“You’ve been a little weird for the past two days.” Yongsun continued.

Two days. Byulyi knew why. It was two days ago that girl had last visited the café. Jung Wheein. Not that Byulyi really cared, because obviously she did not have a crush on one of the regular customers. Nope, because she was professional. Sure, she flirted with the customers sometimes, but it was all strictly professional. She just enjoyed making the ladies feel special, that’s all. Byulyi nodded to herself.

“Moon Byulyi.”

The sound of her name snapped her back to reality. Yongsun had crossed her arms and was staring at her with an annoyed expression.

“You zoned out again. Literally two seconds after you apologised about it.”

“I’m sorry. It’s just, something’s been on my mind…” Byulyi said, and chewed on her lower lip unconsciously. Yongsun’s eyes lit up.

“You have a crush.”

Byulyi almost bit a hole in her lip.

“No I don’t! Where did you get that from?” Byulyi said, and awkwardly tried to laugh it off.

“You’ve been zoning out on me, and you’re biting your lip. You only do that when a really pretty girl is involved.” Yongsun said, triumphantly.

“What!” Byulyi spluttered, “I do not!”

“Yes, you do! Remember that last girl you got a crush on, what was her name? Soojung? You and bit your lips so much I had to buy you like five chapsticks!” Yongsun laughed.

“Hey! It was only three chapsticks!” Moonbyul retorted with a light blush on her cheeks.

“Details doesn’t matter.” Yongsun said dismissively, “The point is that you have a crush. So spill, who is the girl?”

“I don’t have a crush, Yongsun…” Byulyi tried to deny, but to no avail. Yongsun put on her best pouty face, and took a deep breath.

“Please tell me who it is please please please please please please please-“ She whined until Byulyi surged forward and tried to cover with a laugh.

“Yongsun, stop! Fine, I’ll tell you. But only because you’re so cute when you pout like that.” Byulyi winked, and Yongsun shoved her playfully across the table.

“Save your flirting for your soon-to-be girlfriend.” She scoffed. “So, who is it? Is it someone I know? How did you meet?”

“Her name is Wheein, I don’t think you know her. We met here at the café two days ago, she’s a regular. Light brown hair, always orders the sweetest coffee on the menu, usually sits at the corner table.”

“Oh, I’ve seen her a few times! So what’s she like? When is your first date? Can I meet her?” Yongsun asked eagerly.

“Yongsun, slow down.” Byulyi smiled, “I’ve barely had a conversation with her. I’ve been thinking about asking her out after I’ve talked to her a little more. But she hasn’t been here since she told me her name two days ago.”

Yongsun was quiet for a moment.

“Is that it?” She asked.

“What?”

“You’ve been ignoring me for a girl you just learned the name of? Worst friend ever! I’ve been telling you important stuff these past two days you know!”

Byulyi just smiled at her friend’s feigned anger. She could see the corners of pull upwards, and the glint in her eye. Yongsun couldn’t fool her. Byulyi moved closer to Yongsun and pulled her hands across the table, so that her friend’s face came close to her own.

“I’m sorry, Yongsunnie.” She whispered and Yongsun’s hands, “How can I make it up to you?”

“Stop being stupid, for a start!” Yongsun said and pulled back, her face a bit flushed, “How can you flirt like this when you have a crush?”

Byulyi laughed, and Yongsun couldn’t hide her smile.

“I’m just teasing you. You know I like your reactions.”

“Yeah, right.” Yongsun huffed, “You’re just jealous because I already have a boyfriend. Oh, what kind of drama could arise if Eric found out about this? It would be a scandal!”

Yongsun put her arm across her forehead dramatically, as if she was about to faint from the mere thought. Byulyi just sighed.

“I see you’ve caught the acting disease again. Call me when you can speak like a normal person again.” Byulyi said, and rose from her chair.

“Hey, sit down! I was about to share some of my excellent relationship advice!” Yongsun grabbed her hand.

“Excellent? I’m not so sure about that…” Byulyi smirked.

“Hey, what’s that supposed to mean?! Ugh, you’re so-“

But before Yongsun could finish her insult, her mother called them both to dinner. And they both knew you don’t make Mrs Kim wait when there’s fresh food on the table.

 

~

 

It took another two days before Jung Wheein finally returned to The Coffee Cup. Byulyi had almost started to think she would never see the cute girl again. Yongsun had told her she was being dramatic, but Byul wasn’t convinced. It was just after lunchtime, and she was alone in the café with Mr Kim, and of course the customers. Just as she walked out of the kitchen, the sound of the little bell above the door signalled that a new customer had entered the building. Byulyi almost dropped the plate full of freshly baked cookies she was holding when the brown haired girl walked in with a wide grin She quickly put the plate down on the counter and returned the smile as Wheein walked up to the register.

“Hi, welcome to The Coffee Cup.” She said, maybe a little louder than she intended, “The usual, I presume?”

“You remember my order?” Wheein quirked an eyebrow at her.

“Of course I do! My speciality is remembering the orders of pretty girls.” Real smooth, Byul.

Wheein just laughed loudly at her bad attempt at flirting.

“I see how it is. Yes, I’ll have my regular order.”

“Okay, so one large caramel latte with extra caramel, and a piece of our famous chocolate cheesecake with whipped cream. That’s very sweet, it suits you.” Byulyi bit her tongue before she could say anything more embarrassing and punched in the order on the cash register. “Would you like anything else? Maybe I could interest you in a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie?”

Wheein smiled, and Byulyi thought she could see a mischievous glint in the shorter girl’s eyes.

“No thank you, but I would be interested in getting you phone number.”



________________

A/N: Hey, so I updated this pretty quickly! I have an essay I'm avoiding... Right now this is pretty fluffy and simple, but more stuff will happen, so stay tuned.. Anyway, thank you for subsciribing, and for the nice comments! <3