Somewhere Out There

Somewhere Out There

I closed my eyes and slowly fell into a deep slumber with her as the last thing on my mind. I silently wished for us to meet again tonight.

I felt a slight falling sensation as I drifted off into another world. The darkness slowly exchanged itself for scenery that didn’t seem familiar to me. I couldn’t recognize this place. I came to the conclusion that this must be her dream then. It was hard to tell at times, because sometimes it seemed like our worlds melted together.

Her dreams were always slightly more imaginary than mine. My dreams usually took place in locations that I would often visit while her dreams revolved around her own fantasy worlds. I have seen some crazy and interesting things just because of her weird dreams. Every time I would visit her world, she would try to trick my mind since she had control over her own dreams.

I could tell this dream was another one of her fantasy worlds. Even while I was trying to explore this world, I could feel my feet slightly floating above the ground. I could see little pixies flying and flowers blooming faster than they ever would in the real world. I was wondering where she could be as it has been a little while since I’ve entered this dream and I had yet to find her. I wandered around the place a little more, admiring the view. I had always envied her creativity. I could never create a place this wondrous.

While I was exploring, I found an enormous flower field with a big old oak tree in the middle of it. She was probably hiding near it. I made my way towards the tree and kept an eye out for her. It was quiet and peaceful. I could only hear the sound of leaves rustling in the wind. There would always be these small sparkly particles flying in the air. She would call it ‘stardust’. It added a certain atmosphere to the scene. She told me that her dreams were a place for all fallen stars to rest.

I was slowly nearing the tree and I had yet to spot her. I decided to walk around the tree and see if she was on the other side. I could see a small figure lying near the oak tree. It was her. For some reason, she always wore this cute white dress in her dreams. It suited her. It made it easier for me to recognize her. Sometimes there would be other characters in her dreams. People who were obviously familiar to her, but she always refused to tell me more about them. Maybe it’s good to keep some things to yourself in a world where your mind is fully exposed. Living in each other’s dreams might sound like something incredible, but it could be quite terrifying at times. We were both emotional, so whenever our mood changed, our dreams did as well. Exposing yourself like that could be scary. It was very personal and the other might see things you’d rather not show anyone.

I slowly sat down beside her on the soft grass once I had reached her. She had her eyes closed and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a more peaceful person than her. The stardust that had landed in her hair added onto her ethereal beauty. Her beauty was truly out of this world. It was hard to believe that she might exist and if she did, then the people who had the honor of laying eyes on her were very lucky.

It seemed like she was asleep, but then I realized that we were in a dream already, so it was impossible for her to be asleep. She broke the peaceful silence when she started humming a soft melody. It’s a melody that has become very familiar to my ears now. She would hum this melody a lot. She never told me which song it was or why she would always hum it, but I thought it must’ve been a song she cherished. A little pixie was attracted to the sound of this melody. It flew over and listened to her tune with curiosity. It was a pixie with bright blue wings, her favorite color.

She stopped humming after a while and the little pixie quickly flew away. She opened one of her eyes to take a peek at me. ‘Hello there,’ I greeted her. ‘Hi Ten,’ she said. I could see the little pixie returning again from the corner of my eye. It held a flower from the field in one of its small hands and handed it to her. ‘Thank you,’ she mouthed softly. The pixie flew off into the wide flower field again. I smiled softly.

‘What’s on your mind? You’re always somewhere exploring your own dreams. This is unlike you,’ I questioned. ‘I’ve just been thinking about this entire situation lately. It’s still surreal to me,’ she answered. ‘I know, I’ve been thinking about this a lot too. I’m always afraid that all of this is just a fantasy and that it could end at any given moment,’ I said. ‘Are you afraid of losing me?’ she wondered. She looked at me with a curious expression. ‘Yes, it might sound crazy, but how could I let go of someone whom I have such a unique connection with?’ I replied. The wind had blown a small piece of hair in her face. I moved my fingers towards it and gently moved it out of her face. ‘Don’t worry. I would miss you too,’ she said as she winked at me. I chuckled softly. ‘That’s very reassuring to hear, my dear,’ I said as I placed a soft kiss on her forehead.

‘Do you ever wonder if any of this is real at all? What if I’m just some fictional character you created in your mind to accompany you in your dreams?’ I asked her. ‘But what if you’re actually a real person? Wouldn’t it be better to hope for the other person to exist? Wouldn’t it be great to know that there’s someone out there who you connect with on another level? I think it’s good to have something to believe in, Ten,’ she retorted. ‘I know, it’s just… it’s hard to believe you could be a real person. Of course, I hope it’s true, but I don’t want to get my hopes up. All of this is just too surreal,’ I said.

‘Even if you don’t exist in this world, I hope that you’re somewhere out there, even if it’s in another universe. I like to think that we’re together in that universe,’ she said. She moved her hand towards mine and I opened up my hand for her. Her fingers softly touched mine. ‘In a different universe our hands are skimming the surface of our palms and we’re amused that in another existence we are distant.’

I looked at her and I could see a hint of sadness in her eyes. Her expression mirrored mine. Our love was impossible. It was a yearning for someone who might or might not be real. For now I liked to believe that this beautiful girl next to me existed. I liked to believe that she was real and could experience true emotions just like me. I wanted to wish for more, but for now this was our little secret. It was a sacred spot where our deepest thoughts and emotions were sealed in.

A tear ran down her cheek and I moved my finger to wipe it away. The weather in her dream world started to change and I could feel the rain softly caressing my skin. ‘Don’t be sad. This connection is something we should cherish. We should be glad that we’re able to experience something great like this,’ I said. ‘I don’t know why I’m crying. Part of me is happy to have you here, but another part of me feels so helpless,’ she explained. ‘I understand how you feel, but let’s just be happy that we have each other right now in this moment,’ I said as I moved towards her and held her in my embrace. I wish I could hold her in my arms forever and protect her from all evil in this world. I wish I could freeze time in this moment, but what might’ve seemed like an hour in this world could have been a couple hours in the real world. It was hard to keep track of time here.

The rain slowly started to fade away and so did her small figure. She was probably waking up. ‘Ten, I have to say goodbye for tonight. Let’s hope we may meet again,’ she said as she leaned forward to place a soft kiss on my lips. ‘Goodbye, my love,’ I whispered softly as she disappeared from my embrace.