Living on the edge

Living on the edge

She stood at the edge of the cliff, her arms outstretched as the wind whipped her hair and clothes around her. She took a deep breath of the crisp ocean air. She wiped her face free of the sea spray that splashed up from the rolling waves. She let her arms drop to her sides, enjoying the sound of the crashing waves below her. “It’s so peaceful here.” She said to herself as she looked out towards the horizon.

 

 

 

“It’s freezing.” Yoongi grumbled as he pulled his jacket tighter around himself as he walked along the beach, close enough to the water to get a decent view, but far enough away that his shoes wouldn’t befall the same fate as Namjoon's. He looked at their leader with a smirk as he whined about his soaking wet shoes to a laughing Jungkook and Taehyung. He wandered further away from his group, his camera in his hands as he snapped some photos, happy for the brief window of freedom from his hectic schedule.

 

They had just finished up a photoshoot, taking less time than they had scheduled for, so their manager had given them some free time before they had to return to Seoul. He wandered a little further away from his group, enjoying the quiet, something that was rare living with six other boys. He lifted his camera and snapped a couple of photographs. He quickly checked them then lifted his camera again.

 

He noticed a figure standing at the edge of the cliff, her hair blowing around in the wind. She was far enough away that he couldn’t make out her features very well, but the way the fading light hit her was perfect. He quickly took a couple of photographs of her, satisfied with the angle and lighting. Hoseok threw his arm around his shoulder exclaiming loudly about how good the photographs turned out. Yoongi snorted, “Of course they’re good. I’m Min Yoongi.” He said cockily.

 

 

 

 

She looked at her watch and sighed. “Guess it’s time to head back.” She said as she gave the scenery one last glance. She smiled, satisfied with her visit to the ocean. She turned to leave, her foot slipping on the moss that covered the edge of the cliff. She wobbled to the side, catching her balance at the last second. She covered her chest with one hand, a curse making its way out of . She let out a nervous chuckle as she looked over the edge of the cliff, into the cold, frothy water below. “That was almost a disaster.”

 

She let out another chuckle, smug that she had escaped certain death. She righted herself and took another step, not noticing the even bigger patch of moss, and this time, she was unable to balance herself. She let out a panicked scream as she fell sideways, her body plummeting to the water below.

 

 

 

Yoongi and Hoseok turned around at the sound of a scream, just in time to see the girl from the cliff splash into the water. Without thinking, Yoongi his camera into Hoseok's hands and ripped off his jacket. “Get help!” he yelled as he raced towards the water. He ran until the water was too deep, throwing himself into the water, his gaze fixed on the area where the girl had fallen. He swam forward, searching for any sign of her.

 

He reached the area where she had fallen and stopped swimming, treading water instead as he looked around for any sign of her. He spotted something pink in the water and swam for it. He pulled at the material, the girls head bobbing out of the water as he tugged on her jacket. He awkwardly wrapped his arm around her body, her head lolling back onto his shoulder. “Hey!” he yelled, shaking her, hoping she would regain consciousness.

 

He swore loudly, “Hey! Wake up!” he yelled as he awkwardly shook her again. The girl coughed a couple of times, sea water making its way out of . Yoongi struggled to keep them both above water. He slowly made his way to a large rock, clinging to it with one arm, the other still wrapped around the girl’s waist. “Hey, are you ok?” he asked as the girl blinked up at him. She nodded and gripped onto the large rock. “Thank you.” She said, “I slipped off the edge.” She said, indicating the cliff above them. “Do you think you can swim on your own?” Yoongi asked, wiping the water off his face.

 

She nodded, “Yeah.” Yoongi motioned for her to follow him as he slowly made his way back to the shore, purposely going slowly in case she needed his help. They were met at the shore by the rest of the worried BTS members. They ran into the water to help the couple to safety. The staff gave them towels which they accepted happily, the water still too cold to be comfortable for swimming. “Are you ok?” a worried Namjoon asked them both.

 

“What happened?” asked Jin as he fretted over the both of them. “I’m so sorry, it’s all my fault. I was up there enjoying the view and I slipped. I’m sorry.” She said, bowing to them all in turn. “As long as you’re alright, then there’s nothing to apologise for.” Yoongi said with a sniff, the cold getting to him. She looked at him guiltily. “Thanks for rushing in to save me.” She said gratefully, Yoongi shrugged off her thanks, feeling embarrassed from the attention. “It’s nothing.” He said gruffly.

 

“You should go change your clothes and get warm. I’d feel awful if you caught a cold because you helped me. Especially with your comeback coming up soon.” She said worriedly. The boys all looked at her, not surprised that she recognised them, there were few people who didn’t recognise their faces in Korea.  “What about you?” Namjoon asked. “My car is up there, I should have some extra clothes I can change into.” She said with a smile, pointing up to where she had fallen from.

 

She took a few steps back and smiled at them. “Thanks again for helping me. I really appreciate it.” She said as she waved and started to walk away. Yoongi called after her. “What’s your name?” she looked at him over her shoulder, a small smile on her face. “DJ Yume.” She said before she continued walking. Yoongi smiled, her attitude intriguing him. “I’m sure I’ve heard that name before.” Jungkook mumbled from his side. “Never mind that now. Let’s go get you changed before you do actually end up ill.” Jin said as he led Yoongi back to their van. Yoongi cast one more look over his shoulder, watching DJ Yume as she made her way back to her car. “We’ll meet again. Definitely.” He said as he turned back around, following Jin’s lead.

 

 

 

Later that night, after they had finished their schedule and had returned to their dorm, Yoongi lay in bed, too tired to go to his studio after their busy schedule, and his unexpected dip in the ocean. “Hyung!” Jungkook said as he jumped onto the elder’s bed and mainly on top of the elder himself. Yoongi grunted as he tried to push the younger man off him. “What is it maknae?” he said grumpily as he gave up trying to push him off, letting the taller boy sprawl over him. “Look!” Jungkook said enthusiastically as he his phone under Yoongi’s nose, a video paused on the screen.

 

Yoongi tapped the play button and loud music blared from the phones speakers. Yoongi subconsciously began to bob his head in time with the music. After the track ended he nodded. “Pretty good, who is it?” he asked curiously. Jungkook grinned as he typed on his phone before once again sticking the phone under Yoongi’s nose. “It’s your mermaid princess.” He teased as Yoongi looked at the photograph on Jungkook's phone. It was the girl he had saved earlier.

 

“I knew her name was familiar when she said it earlier, but I couldn’t place it until just now. She’s a super famous DJ. She’s performed all over the world. She writes all her own music as well.” He said as he took his phone out of Yoongi’s hand and clicked on her website. “See? She’s been a DJ for years, her ambition is to become a producer and songwriter.” He read from her profile. “She’s the same age as you hyung.” He said as he gave the phone back to Yoongi. “There's a link to her YouTube page. You should listen, her stuff is amazing.”

 

“I’ll do that.” He said as he flicked through the photographs on her website. Jungkook left the room when Jin called on him to shower before they slept. Yoongi kept the phone and clicked on her YouTube page. He was surprised by the amount of followers she had. He clicked on one video, which led to another, which led to another. Some of the videos were of her performing as a DJ, some were of her in her apartment with her guitar or her computer showing off her latest creation.

 

Yoongi felt his interest pique the more he listened to her. There was some raw talent in her music, he could feel the emotions from her music. He made up his mind there and then that he would meet her again. He looked at her photograph one more time before Jungkook returned to claim his phone.

 

 

 

Two weeks passed before Yoongi’s plan was complete. He had feigned a lack of inspiration for his newest song, gently suggesting that some outside influence might give their new album the edge they were looking for. He slipped a playlist of her songs to their manager who had instantly asked for her information, which Yoongi just so happened to have prepared. She was called in, the company asking her if she would be willing to provide some input in the creative process. She had jumped at the opportunity, barely daring to believe that she was getting the chance to try out in the big leagues.

 

Their manager arranged a time for her and Yoongi to meet at his studio. He arrived almost an hour early, taking the time to rid himself of some of his nervous energy by tidying up his already immaculate studio. He couldn’t understand why he was so nervous. But as the minutes ticked by, he couldn’t deny that the butterflies in his stomach were working overtime.

 

When a knock sounded from the studio door, he practically tripped over himself to open the door. He opened the door, the air leaving his lungs at seeing her in the flesh again. She looked pretty in her photos, but she was even prettier in real life. She stood before him, black, studded boots, tight jeans covered in rips and tears, a simple black t-shirt, and a leather jacket. She smiled at him when he opened the door. “Hey.” She said brightly.

 

“Hey.” He repeated before shaking his head slightly, hoping the action would help him focus as he stepped aside, letting her enter his studio. She looked around the newly refurbished space, her jaw dropping at all his equipment. “This is amazing.” She breathed as she dropped her bag and stepped up to his equipment, resisting the urge to run her fingers over the shiny machines. She turned to him, an almost childlike grin on her face. “I can’t believe I’m actually here.” She said before turning to look at his equipment again.

 

He went up beside her, pride flowing through him. “Take a seat.” He said as he pointed to the extra chair that he had brought in specifically for her. They sat down and Yoongi fidgeted with the material of his shirt. “So do you wanna have a listen to what I have so far?” he asked, handing her a pair of headphones. She nodded and slipped on the headphones. He quickly pulled up the file and let her listen, his fingers tapping out the beat on his knee. She nodded along with the music, a serious expression on her face as she concentrated.

 

Yoongi noticed that her eyebrows were furrowed and that she was pouting slightly as she listened. He grinned at her cute expression. Once the song ended, she slipped off her headphones and clapped. “This is seriously amazing.” She said, a note of awe in her voice. Yoongi smirked at the praise. “It’s still missing something.” He said. “Just that extra something that will make it stand out.” She nodded in agreement, “Let me listen again and we’ll see if we can work it out.”

 

They listened to the song over and over again, so many times that she was convinced that she would be singing it in her sleep. Hoseok brought them takeout a few hours later which they ate as the chatted and worked. They had ended up calling for jajangmyeon after midnight as a late night snack, neither of them willing to give up or go home until the song was complete. By two am, they had completed the song. The two of them working out the missing element from the song. When Yoongi hit save for the last time, they both reclined on their chairs, letting out content sighs. She stretched, letting out a loud yawn before letting her arms flop by her sides.

 

Yoongi rubbed at his eyes as he yawned as well. “I can’t believe it’s so late already.” He mumbled. She hummed sleepily from beside him. “I’m sorry you ended up staying here so late. You should have said you were tired.” He said apologetically. She shook her head, sitting up a little before her completely slid off her chair. “No way, I was in the zone.” She said with a sleepy chuckle. Yoongi grinned back at her, “I could never have finished this song without you. You're really talented.”

 

She grinned at his words. “Hearing that from the Min Yoongi is the best compliment I have ever received.” Yoongi snorted, “Dramatic.” He teased as he playfully pushed her arm. She let her chair spin around once, before turning to face him completely. “I had a really good time working with you.” She admitted quietly. Yoongi looked back at her. “Me too.” He said with a grin.

 

She checked the time again and groaned. “I guess I better head home.” She said as she pushed herself out of her chair. Yoongi’s frowned, disappointed that she had to leave. “Did you drive here?” he asked. She shook her head as she put her things back in her bag. “No, my roommate borrowed my car. I’ll grab a taxi.” Yoongi jumped up at the sudden opportunity. “I’ll drive you.” He offered as he started shutting down his computer and the rest of his equipment. “Really? But it’s already so late, you must be exhausted.” She said, hoping that he wouldn’t take back his offer.

 

“It’s fine. It’s the least I can do after keeping you here so late. It’s not safe for a girl to be out so late alone.” She thanked him and they headed to his managers car. She gave him her address to type into the navigation system and they set off through the quiet Seoul streets, music quietly playing from Yoongi’s phone. “So how long is your contract with the company?” he asked after they had been driving for around ten minutes. “Not sure yet. They wanted to see how we worked together on this song. If they like it, they’ll make me an offer.”

 

“I’m sure they’ll love it. We did a great job.” Yoongi said confidently. She smiled, “I think so to.” Yoongi grinned at her, before focusing on the road in front of him. “I know I said it already, but I really enjoyed working with you. I hope we get the chance to work together again in the future.” She said quietly. “Me too.” Yoongi said back, almost as quietly.

 

All too quickly they arrived outside of her apartment. “Well, this is me. Thanks for bringing me home.” She said as she unbuckled her seatbelt. “I’ll be showing the song to the others tomorrow for their input.” He said, his fingers nervously tapping on the steering wheel. “If you give me your number, I could text you and tell you what they say?” he said hopefully.

 

She chuckled at him, “Smooth move.” She teased making him blush slightly. He turned away from her, blindly handing his phone to her. She suppressed a laugh as she took his phone and typed in her number, making sure to call herself so that she could save his number. She handed back his phone. “Make sure you call or text me tomorrow, ok? I wanna know what they say.” He nodded. “I will.”

 

“And if you just wanna text or call, if you know, you’re bored or need some inspiration… you have my number.” She said, hoping she didn’t sound as nervous as she felt. Yoongi felt the grin return to his face. “What about if I need someone to eat jajangmyeon with at stupid times?” she let out a laugh, “I’m always up for food.” She said, easily returning his grin. “You better keep your phone on then. I tend to keep weird hours.” he warned playfully. “So do I.”

 

She let out another yawn. “Get some sleep. I’ll call you tomorrow.”  She nodded and got out of the car, walking around to his side. He put the window down as she stepped up beside the car. She bent down and smiled at him. “Drive safe.” She said before leaning forward and pressing a swift kiss to his cheek. She smiled at him, chuckling at his surprised expression before waving and heading into her building. Yoongi waited until she was safely in the building before he pulled away, the cool night air ruffling his hair as he drove back to the dorm, a smile on his face the whole time. The feeling of her lips lingering on his cheek. “This looks like the start of a wonderful partnership.”