1/1

My Artwork

Mingyu sighs as another week goes by. It’s been seven months without any progress and as much as he hates to admit: Kim Mingyu is a struggling artist.

All those years of college art classes, spending his money on art supplies, paying for college loans, Mingyu feels as if everything has gone down the drain.

He had taken the risk of the art job chances and majored in fine arts earning a bachelor’s degree. The first few months had been great. Mingyu established his own little studio, making and selling his art to interested customers.

His art was deemed influential. People showered him with compliments about how beautiful his artwork is and how it perfectly fits on top of living room cabinets.

But lately his career seems to be decreasing more and more. Having an artist block and unable to make art, customers buy less and less, and Mingyu is unable to earn money.

His artist block gets worse. Each time he believes he has the greatest idea of a painting, he stops halfway losing his interesting. Times when he goes out and paints sceneries, he feels there aren’t any more places he feels satisfied painting, resulting in various kinds of unpainted canvases of trees and buildings.

“Are you sure you’re going to be alright?” Seokmin, Mingyu’s closest friend since middle school, asks every time rent is coming near.

Mingyu lies that he’s fine. He’s not the type to ask others for help but Seokmin worries as the latter hands him some payment for the rent for maybe the sixth time. Mingyu had lost count.

“It’s alright.” Seokmin says, “I know you’ll pay me back one day.”

Mingyu definitely knows he’d be on the streets already if it weren’t for Seokmin.

“Don’t worry. You’ll get back on your roll again.”

Mingyu isn’t the weak type. He doesn’t give up. This is just a phase; everyone has an artist bock from time to time. He knows that. And he hates it.

Frustrated again, Mingyu tosses the unfinished canvas across his studio room. The blank face of the painted girl stares at him from the end of the room. Mingyu groans and buries his head into his palms, sighing heavily.

Coffee, Mingyu thinks, maybe he just didn’t have his usual coffee this morning.

He grabs his bag and stomps out of his studio apartment. Though upset, Mingyu is careful not to slam his door as he got into big trouble with the neighbors last time.

The coffee shop isn't that far from his apartment. It's around a five minute walk and Mingyu gets there in no time. He orders his usual - totally black, no sugar, no milk.

He makes his way across the street to the Central Park usually where his artwork starts, and tragically ends.

His favorite spot is near the pond. It's under a cherry blossom and there's a great breeze and-

Oh.

Mingyu stops.

There’s someone else sitting in his spot.

It’s okay, Mingyu says to himself, it’s okay, it’s not like he actually owns the spot. It’s a public park. It’s public. It’s for everyone. It’s his. And it’s also the guy sitting on his spot. It’s fine.

Calming down, Mingyu sits down on the bench a few seats down of his spot bench. He drinks his black coffee and stares at the pond.

He pouts. The angle of the pond is better at his original spot. Mingyu finds himself looking over, at the young man quite around his own age. The other has snow skin, thin pink lips, feline eyes, and raven black hair. He is reading his book, dark orbs darting back and forth across the page.

And Mingyu thinks it’s wrong to stare for so long, but the other boy is so charming and so beautiful.

He doesn’t know what takes over him when he quickly takes out his sketchbook (every artist carries a sketchbook. If you’re an artist, you know it) and starts to sketch the stranger into his book.

Mingyu starts with the contours, and he’s mesmerized at how well proportioned the boy is (that sounds weird but Mingyu doesn’t care). He wouldn’t be surprised if he finds out the boy is a model.

Rushing home, Mingyu gets out a new canvas and starts painting like he’s never painted before. He feels different. He feels great.

At the finishing of his brush, Mingyu steps back from his painting and pants heavily as if he just ran a ten mile run.

It's beautiful. He’s never felt this way before. He loves this. And it is all thanks to the stranger. The stranger that Mingyu hopes to meet again.

 


 

Mingyu isn’t a freak.

It’s been two months and Mingyu continues drawing the man. He must’ve had dozens of different drawings of the him and each of them are so beautiful Mingyu just couldn't get enough.

He’s back on his roll again, just as Seokmin said before. People have been starting to buy and admire his art again, all his art of the stranger in the park.

Mingyu just kept painting and painting and he earns so much money than ever. He’s pays back Seokmin the past rents, asked by his friend how he achieved so much money in such a little time and Mingyu just smiles.

Mingyu also meets a reporter who had been so mesmerized by his painting he made it onto the news and magazines.

“What would you say you’d owe your success too?” The interviewer asks, her microphone pressing against Mingyu’s face.

Mingyu keeps a smile. “Hm, I don’t know. I just happen to get inspiration and ideas out of nowhere and then I just start painting.”

“Is the famous man in the painting also a figure of your imagination?”

Mingyu laughs. “I would say so.”

He’s made so much success and he is yet to know the center of his successor's name.

Mingyu is in the park again, with his supplies and easel, pretending to paint the spring trees and pond but in truth he’s only looking at the other male.

The male has been smiling a lot more lately every time Mingyu secretly paints him. He must have been reading a really funny novel as it brings out a cute laugh and smile.

Mingyu smiles whenever he sees the other smile. It’s addicting.

He manages to sell his artwork right after he had been finished with it that day.

“Come on Gyu, let’s get to the bar next Saturday.” Seokmin cheers as he smacks a hand on Mingyu’s back. “You’ve done enough, take a break! Meet new people! Find a relationship!”

Mingyu rolls his eyes but smiles. Maybe he should take a break. He’s been working very hard lately, a little rest wouldn’t hurt.

“Sure. Next Saturday.”

He spends the next few days continuing to draw the mesmerizing male in the park and each time he’s there, the man seems to smile more and more everyday. It’s probably just a really funny novel.

There’s a moment when the other male gently puts his book down and gets up from his seat. He stretches a little and Mingyu could see a small glimpse of milky skin.

The male walks towards Mingyu and the latter begins to panic. Hastily he covers his painting with an unfinished artist block painting. He settles himself, pretending to paint the trees.

The male walks past him and tosses an empty coffee cup into the trash before making his back to the bench.

Mingyu sighs out of relief. But he begins to wonder. There’s small feeling of guilt that overwhelms his body. All this success, going back to earning a stable salary, selling paintings, getting features in articles and papers, and even meeting some unexpected fans. All of this is because of a man that Mingyu is yet to know the name of.

The boy goes back to the bench and continues to read his book. Mingyu bites his lip. He decides to pack up for the day and head home.

 

Saturday arrived fast and Mingyu is getting ready to go to the bar where he will be meeting up with Seokmin and the others.

Putting on his best shirt and a pair of clean jeans, he leaves his apartment and strolls down the street. He begins to think of the male and wonders what the other is doing now. Is he still at the park?

“Mingyu’s here!” Seokmin shouts from their booth and he stands up to wave. Mingyu waves back, embarrassed at how loud Mingyu is. Minghao, Jihoon, and Soonyoung are there too. “You made it in time!”

Mingyu chuckles. “In time for what?”

“I invited a new friend.” Seokmin answers. “Well I met him through class and he’s Jihoon’s roommate.”

Mingyu raises a brow. “Cool?” He says and Seokmin grins, pulling the taller close into a whisper.

“You know,” Seokmin begins, “he’s pretty handsome. And he’s single.”

Mingyu laughs and shakes his head. He’s not really looking for a relationship right now, especially not after he just got back on his art career.

“Aw come on,” Soonyoung adds in brightly. “I heard from Jihoon he’s totally your type. He’s quiet and cute and funny.”

Jihoon smiles. “Oh look, there he is.” He says and points his hand towards the entrance, causing everyone to turn as well.

“Sorry guys, I lost my track of time while reading a novel.”

Mingyu’s mouth drops as he stares at the new guest. Those feline eyes, snow skin, thin lips. There right in front of him and Mingyu doesn’t have his easel with him.

The other male smiles and it brightens up the bar. “You must be Mingyu.” His voice is deep and Mingyu opens his mouth but no words came out. “I heard about you a lot from Jihoon and Seokmin. It’s finally nice to meet you.”

“S-Same here.” Mingyu stutters and he shakes Wonwoo’s hand. So soft.

“Wonwoo, you’re late.” Mingyu hears Jihoon say and Wonwoo - what a beautiful name - laughs as he sits down next to the shorter.

“Sorry, sorry,” Wonwoo holds his hands up in defense. “The book I was reading was so interesting I forgot to get ready.”

“Oh well, it doesn’t matter anymore,” Jihoon comments, “this is Mingyu. He’s the artist I was talking about earlier.”

Wonwoo smiles at Mingyu. “I saw him at the park once.” He smiles wider. “You were painting trees and they were beautiful.”

Mingyu blushes down onto his palms. “T-Thanks.” He replies shyly and Wonwoo chuckles.

Time passes by and Mingyu learns so much about the other. Jeon Wonwoo. 24 years old, a year older than Mingyu. Literature major. Likes romantic movies. Scared of dogs. Cheeseburger is life.

He’s even more beautiful up close. His dark hair really compliments with his snow skin, and his eyes are amber brown.

When it’s time to leave, Minghao and Seokmin leaves first, followed by Jihoon and Soonyoung. “Will you be alright on your own?” Jihoon asks Wonwoo who laughs in return.

“What am I, five?” Wonwoo jokes. “Besides, Mingyu is here. I want to get to know him more.” Mingyu stiffens at the statement and looks at Wonwoo smiling at Jihoon. “You better go to work now otherwise you’ll be late.”

“Alright, alright, Mingyu you better take care of Wonwoo.”

“Uh s-sure.”

It’s nighttime when Mingyu walks around with Wonwoo. The two have been quiet for the most part, mainly because Wonwoo likes comfortable silence and Mingyu is too chicken to say anything.

“Let’s get some ice cream.” Wonwoo suggests, pointing towards the nearby ice cream shop. Mingyu immediately agrees. Maybe ice cream can cool him down.

They take a seat near the glass windows. Wonwoo enjoys his green tea ice cream while Mingyu stabs into his chocolate one.

“So what do you usually paint?” Wonwoo asks unexpectedly, spoon in his mouth. He blinks at the younger and smiles. “I’d really like to see your paintings.”

“M-My paintings?” Mingyu stutters and Wonwoo nods. “Uh s-sure. They’re at home though.”

Wonwoo leans forward a little and Mingyu blushes at the distance. The older is just so distracting and so pretty. “What were you painting at the park?”

“Trees.”

Wonwoo nods in response, chuckling. His nose crinkles up and if that isn’t the cutest thing in the world than Mingyu doesn’t know what is.

It’s getting dangerous. Mingyu needs to change the subject. “So what do you do for a living?”

“I study books and history.” Wonwoo replies with another spoonful of ice cream. “But right now I’m mostly just reading.”

“Ah that’s right, I’ve seen you read in the park a couple of times.” Mingyu says and Wonwoo blinks. “I-I mean it’s not like I stare at you in the park sometimes.”

Wonwoo laughs again and Mingyu slaps himself at how stupid he must be looking right now. “Cute,” He comments and Mingyu’s cheeks heat up. “Anyway,” Wonwoo stands up and gives Mingyu one more smile. “I better go home now. I have a report to finish.” He says and leans closer to Mingyu. “Hope to see you in the park again.”

Mingyu holds his breath until Wonwoo leaves. He then looks down at the table where there’s a cut of article from a newspaper. Wonwoo must have left it by accident.

Local Artist Paints Beautiful Portrait

Mingyu eyes widens and he darts out the door, only to find that Wonwoo has left already. He laughs to himself and brushes his hair back with his hand, a stupid smile plays on his lips.

He knows.

 


 

“I don’t get it,” Jihoon states as he lays on his bed upside down, his short legs kicking in the air. “Why didn’t you just tell him you knew?”

Wonwoo hums and rolls his chair over to Jihoon. He’s holding onto a cut out magazine page, smiling. “Then it wouldn’t be fun at all.” He replies and places the paper on his table. He smiles when he thinks back to the time he first sees Mingyu at the park.

The younger could’ve been more secretly when painting him. He was so obvious, eyeing Wonwoo up and down every second.

Then he had seen Mingyu day after day. He laughed at how blunt the younger was. The book he was reading wasn't interesting at all. It was all about this cliche love novel with no plot. Yet, Wonwoo is smiling along the whole time.

“But you were right, Mingyu is pretty cute. Like a puppy.”

“You don’t like dogs.”

“Well I like Mingyu.” Wonwoo retaliates. “And I like his artwork.”

 


 

“I can’t believe you used to paint me thinking I wouldn’t notice.” Wonwoo laughs when Mingyu pouts at him across the room. The older walks towards him, settling himself onto Mingyu’s lap. “You were so cute, like a little schoolboy with a high school crush.”

Mingyu pouts harder and Wonwoo coos, kissing the pout. “Come on don’t be upset, I said you were adorable.” He comments and Mingyu crosses his arms.

“Whatever.” Mingyu whines and Wonwoo laughs again before the younger gives in and holds Wonwoo close in his arms. “So what are we doing today? You said you wanted to go outside.”

Wonwoo shrugs. “Just hang out. We haven’t had a day to ourselves in a while.” He plays with Mingyu’s hair. “We could go to the park.”

“And what?”

Wonwoo smiles and softly presses his lips against Mingyu’s ear. “You can paint me again.” He suggests and Mingyu smiles back.

“Of course.”