Polaroid

Behind the lens
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yongguk had been brought into the head teachers office once again. He was a relatively quite person who kept to himself however his appearance was anything but that. He always gave off an intimdating impression thus creating others to avoid him. The ones who werent avoiding were looking for trouble. Something about how he glared at them or some other bull. In the end he was forced to be a victim of physical bullying. When he took a stand to it, it was always him that got into trouble as no one really listened to his side of the statemet. However, this time his visit to the office wasnt about anything like this. He was the only student who was yet to join a club and everyone required to be in atleast one club. The head teacher had nearly made him go deaf with her long speech of two hours- how students should not be fighting, how students should enjoy the years of school and how these could become important memories in the future. 

Yongguk had been itching to tell her that he had applied to the literature club, only to be rejected by some girl in glasses. Its not like the club had that many members, but when he wanted to join she had outright told him something along the lines of "we dont need a thug in our club. we may not be big or strong but everyone here has burning passion. we dont need you to ruin it." Saying so she had thrown his application form to the bin. Truth be told, he was someone who enjoyed literature. He liked reading. It was something he could do alone. The club was the perfect club for him, and seeing that girl do that had torn him inside. He was nothing like the rumors. He was someone good to children. Loved pets. Took care of the elderly and most of all had a generous heart. No one was willing to see who he was deep inside. He wanted to shout at the head teacher for continuing her rambling without even allowing him a chance to speak.

He had to join a club. He looked through the club list, something he recieved from the teacher to search for a club. His eyes lingered on the literature club for a moment but he came to the conclusion he wasnt going there again to recieve the same treatment. He had searched for the club with the least number of members and activities. It turned out to be some club about photography. It was weird how the club didnt have much members or activities cause everyone seems to be interested in buying expensive cameras, taking photos and posting them on social media. He had to agree that he didnt have a decent conversation with a kid his age so he was probably behind the times. 

Yongguk had a deep love for art. He was one to enjoy visits to art galleries. But if you were to ask him, he prefered to look at the pieces of art. Not make them. The one with a love for photography was his brother, Yongnam, not him. He was always the one carrying his Nikon where ever they went. Its not like Yongguk hated it, he too loved art and he liked Yongnams pictures too. However he never thought of taking up photography. He had announced that he wanted to join this club to the head teacher. I mean what could go wrong. He just had to snap a few pictures here and there and probably that would be all. Better yet he could even borrow his brothers equipment, no worries. He could even ask the man to do some of his activities if they seem to be too bothersome. His brother could never reject his requests as he was the youngest flowing with charms.

That evening, after classes the head teacher had personally brought him into the club room asking the others to take Yongguk in even though the period for joining clubs had already been over. The members without any questions had just nodded their heads. They didnt really seem to be that much interested. The room wasnt that big, barely able to fit all of them and only containing a huge table in the middle with a few chairs. However, the walls were totally a different story. It was filled with tapped pictures bringing a whole different colour to the room. Yongguk was honestly stuned with this unexpected turn of events. He didnt think he was going to like the club but boy was he wrong. He might just consider taking this seriously. 

One of the seniors had then asked him what kind of photography he did. Yongguk had no idea about any of these things but he vaguely remebered Yongnam mentioning landscape photography and thus blurted this out. The senior just looked at him and then said where he goes to take pictures. He had went on countless trips to Jeju with Yongnam to fulfill his needs of photography. "The other members dont really do landscapes. This guy over here, Dae does sports, action or motion. Anything moving at high speeds- hes your guy. Those two over there are more of event photographers. You know birthdays, weddings and any function out there with balloons and . Im more of a paparazzi. I take pics of whatevers going down at this place and hand them over to the news club. Well you can say I am a photojournalist? Anyways, our club is more of an individual place. You go where ever you want and do the work, it doesnt matter. But we just need pictures for the end of each month to be on a magazine. Thats basically it. Oh yea, whats your camera?" Yongguk had somehow managed to understand everything the man had said. However, he had no idea how to answer the question that was just directed at him. "Sorry man, I didnt bring it today."   "Its okay, you dont have to actually bring it to school, we just need the photos at the end of month. You dont even need to come to the club rooms unless I call for a meeting." 

Yongguk had enjoyed how it had sounded. There was so much freedom. He had went home explaining to his brother hoping he would lend him a camera. To his surprise Yongnam was totally surportive of the idea and delighted at the fact he was picking up a hobby. Later into the night he even took him out to the streets, another unplanned photography trip. This time however it was Yongguk who was behind the camera, while Yongnam was directing him on what to do. As the smart man he was he learned the ropes quite quickly and had started to enjoy it. They had traveled quite far and had no means of going back as the trains had already stopped working. They spent the rest of the night out near a convenince store catching up on each others life. 

They took the first train back home and instead of sleeping the viewed the pictures on the laptop. Yongnam had praised Yongguks skills and both of them felt proud. He then took him into his dark room and taught him how to process a few of his good pictures. Yongguk was satisfied with the final outcome.

This was how Yongguk had got into photography. 

Eight months later he was starting a new grade. His senior had left the club, which led to the club having four members only. Yongguk had gotten deep into photography and now had nothing to do with his previous image. The rumors about him had died down somewhere along the lines and he was living like a ghost. The only passion he had was photography and he would randomly disappear with nothing on him just his camera. Nobody paid attention to him, and he was just one of those kids who didnt have any friends. Yongguk didnt mind cause any moment he got was spent on his hobby. He made sure that his grades didnt fall below average, but his grades werent that good because he never really paid attention to his studies. 

It was during this time a new student all the way from Australia had transferred into his school. The guy had become a hot topic just two days in. It was a boy called Kim Himchan. All

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter