Superman

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minguk!” Woo Bin called out to the fallen boy, “Are you okay?”

“Uhh” Minguk just nodded and got up from his position.

“Who’s that Minguk? Where’s your father?” Terrence asked his friend, noticing the absence of the person who called himself Minguk’s father previously. He owed that guy a lot because his father changed to a good one after that person talked to his father. In fact, he was here somewhere with him now.

“He was my other father” Minguk answers as if it was the most common thing.

“What? You have two fathers?” Terrence asked confusely scratching his head.

“No. It’s a long story, I’ll explain other time” Minguk waves his hand as Terrence was called away by his father.

Today was the field trip of Minguk’s class and as per usual, at least one parent or guardian was required to come. Minguk almost didn’t get a chance on going to the trip because Mo Yeon has an urgent operation that she couldn’t cancel on that assigned day and Si Jin was not available at the moment as he needs to get to work. All is lost if not for Mr. Kim who volunteered. He was a lifesaver. Unfortunately, Minguk didn’t share the same opinion as he still hasn’t warm up with the man who was supposed to be his father.

His class was currently on a special expedition on extreme adventures for kids such as rides, obstacles and even wall climbing. Minguk wanted to do it all but Mr. Kim apparently has low tolerance in this kind of things because he has asthma. He could only stare at the other kids as he was stuck on the easy obstacles.

“So what do you want to try next?” Woo Bin asked the little boy after he finished.

“The wall climbing!” Minguk answers quickly, not noticing the man’s face pale.

“Oh? Okay” He agrees, smiling a little bit forcefully, thinking that he has to make up with all the lost time he has with his son, “But first do you want some ice cream?”

“No.” Minguk shook his head as Woo Bin sighs patiently. Being with this kid seriously tested his patience. He was always disagreeable, impatient and even throws tantrum once whenever he was with him. Whenever this would occur, he would just close his eyes and take a deep breath and remind himself that this kid is his son.

“Okay.” He sighed and saw a zip line area for kids, “Wait would you like to go to this one first?”

He thanked heavens when Minguk’s eyes shines for a minute and instantly agreed on his suggestion. Honestly, he never knew who this kid takes his adventurous blood from. Mo Yeon didn’t look like one and he most certainly isn’t like that.

He could only watch as the kid giggles and chuckles on the air.

“Was that fun?” He asked the kid as the little boy runs to him, almost skipping on joy. As if he needs to ask.

“Yeah! Let’s try the wall climbing now!” Minguk told him, holding his hand and leading him to the climbing area.

He was overwhelmed for a moment for this was the first that Minguk holds his hand. Such was his shocked that he allows the kid to drag him to the wall climbing line.  

“Come on Mr. Kim!” Minguk hurries in front of the rope that separates them from the area.

“Minguk!” Woo Bin didn’t want to do this but he doesn’t have any choice, “I’m sorry but... I can’t.”

“Is he the only one climbing?” An employee asked, overhearing the two’s conversation, “I’m sorry but the kid can’t climb here alone, all of our employees already has assigned kids and he needs to have a guardian for safety purposes”

Minguk frowns at them, sniffing, trying to stop himself from crying and runs off.

Woo Bin bows at the employee and runs towards the boy. This was their problem. It was like there was a hidden boundary between them that he could not just get past to. They didn’t have the same attitudes, likes, dislikes and basically they were total opposite. And he was doing his best to adjust to his son but there were certain things that he just can’t change.

“Ooff” Minguk bumps on the chest of a man, almost falling down from the impact but surprisingly, he was lifted and carried by the said man. What he saw makes him feel surprised, relieved and happy all at once.

“I’m sorry I’m late” Si Jin smiled at the little kid and wipes his tears. He had hurried to this place as soon as his shift ended and he was glad he did so as he witnessed the event earlier. Minguk and Woo Bin, although father and son by blood, for some reason, they just couldn’t mixed well, “Why are you crying?”

Minguk shook his head and says nothing as he buried his face on Si Jin’s neck.

“He wants to enter the wall climbing area but he can’t go alone, he needed a guardian.” Woo Bin said as he catches up on them, rubbing his chest.

“Why didn’t you?” Si Jin looked at the man before him accusingly, “Are you okay?” his entire demeanor changed as he added in a serious tone, noticing the man’s paleness and excessive sweating. Even Minguk stares at Mr. Kim a little worryingly. After all, he was still his ‘father’ as what his mom told him before.

“I can’t. I have asthma” Woo Bin answered, sitting at the bench beside them, fishing his inhaler out of his pocket and started on using it.

“Do you need something?”  Si Jin asked the man while following suit and sits beside him. Minguk opens his bag and gave the man his water bottle.

Thankfully, after a few minutes, he was fine.

“I’m sorry for that; I just had a really bad asthma. I’ll just rest on this bench for a while, you two can enjoy” Woo Bin told the two who just stares at him, “What? I’m serious. I don’t want to spoil this trip.”

Si Jin and Minguk look at each other as they contemplated the situation. Shrugging, Minguk smiles widely and holds out his hand for Si Jin to take. “Let’s go!”

“You sure?” Si Jin bids goodbye at the other man. He hoped he doesn’t sound too happy as that was what he really was feeling, “Where should we start then?”

Minguk pretended to think for a while, “Wall climbing!”

“Wall climbing it is!”

“Uncle!” Minguk shouts, his voice shaking from fear, “Uncle help me!”

Si Jin looked up at the little boy surprised. At first, the little boy was very excited at the thought of wall climbing as he wears the safety helmet, pads and everything. Even challenging him on who’s to get at the top first. Of course, he decided to go with the flow and accepted his challenge. He took up his challenge seriously and both was enjoying when Minguk noticed he was way too ahead and asked him to drop the challenge. He agrees and started on going down the same length. Imagine his surprise when he suddenly cries for help.

“What’s wrong?” he asked loudly at the boy and noticed him shivering after looking down several times, “Minguk! Listen to me. Keep calm and don’t look down!”

Minguk though, didn’t calm down and instead started on crying earnestly.

Si Jin decided to change tactics, “Okay Minguk, Look at me. Do you want to go down now?”

The poor boy just nods his head. Si Jin sighed and goes at the back of Minguk and holds one hand on Minguk’s chest. “We’re going to jump now but you need to let go first”

“No. No” Minguk shakes his head furiously, “I don’t want to”

 Si Jin tried to fight off his smile as he remembers a similar situation he had once with Mo Yeon at the cliff on Urk. What’s up with them and heights?

“H-hey” Si Jin stops the boy from moving too much. At this rate, they might fall unexpectedly if he keeps on moving, “Do you trust me? I promised your mother I wouldn’t let anyt

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter