A Family Man

The Switch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Minguk, what are you still doing here?” Mo Yeon sits beside her son in the veranda as the little boy stares longingly at the football goalposts.

It was already the third day, not that she’s counting, since Si Jin goes back to work, which she sometimes refers as department store. She had to admit, life was never the same especially in this big house. Somehow, days just become too lengthy and dragging and all they could do is wait. ‘How could he do that?’ she wonders ‘How can he worked his way into my life so deep in just a short amount of time?’

 “It’s already late, Aunty Bell told me that the dinner was almost ready” she added, hugging him when she saw his lonely face.

Another matter is her son, Minguk, who suddenly becomes unusually silent. Obviously, Si Jin’s short but very powerful presence left them both longing for more.  She had come back from the hospital as soon as she can to cheer him up. Or better yet, to cheer her up too.

 “Mom.” He called her.

“Hmm?” she asked when he stays silent, urging him to continue.  

“Uncle Si Jin... he will come back right?”  Minguk whispers softly that she won’t hear it if she’s not hugging him.

“What did he told you before he leave? Didn’t he promise you he will come back?” Mo Yeon said as her son hugged her back, not really sure who she’s trying to assure, Minguk or herself?

“But what if he forgets about us when he came back?” the boy told her sadly, holding on to her neck tightly.

“Well, if it does happen, we’ll just make him remember us again” she tried to laugh, squeezing her son tight. “Don’t worry, it won’t happen”

Minguk suddenly stands up and get something inside the house. He came back with a pen and a little notebook that he’s holding gently with both hands as if it was the most precious thing in the world. Her brows furrowed at what he’s holding as it was the first time she’d seen it. It was not included in his school supplies. That could only mean one thing.

“Uncle Si Jin gave this to me” he said proudly as he sits next to her again while opening it on the page which has big handwritten numbers in it.

 “Really?” her curiosity was peaked when she saw the contents of the notebook. It was actually... cute, with all the little drawings and marks using different colors forming what seems like a calendar for this month of May. She bit her lip, trying not to laugh out loud as she knew just how serious her son is right now, judging by the look on his face. She knew Si Jin was creative but she didn’t know it could be at this level.

“He said that all I need to do was put an X on each number starting from here” he said crossing his arms as he demonstrate X with his little arms and then pointing at number 4 who already had a large X, “every night before I sleep until it reach this one with this circle and when I wake up the next morning he’ll be here with us”

Mo Yeon’s heart melted at that. ‘Alright,’ she decided. She will finally admit it to herself. It looks like she wasn’t the only one who’s counting the days.

“Do you really miss him that much?” as if she needs to ask because she already knew the answer just by looking at his face as he carefully puts a cross on the next number.

Minguk nods his head, not even sparing her a glance as his concentration was on writing an X. She could only watch until he finished.

“I miss him this much” he said, finally looking at her as he makes a very big circle with his little hands. “Mom, don’t you miss Uncle?”

She smiled, pinching her son’s cheek and kissing it when he whimpers.

“Of course, I miss him too” There. It was out now, she finally confesses after hesitating. No matter how much she tried to hide it, she knew deep in herself that she was in serious case of denial. But now that she said it out loud, a heavy weight was lifted off her chest, freeing her. It felt good. Maybe she’d try to be more honest.

 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

“Aigoo... so cute” Si Jin exclaimed while browsing his pictures off Mo Yeon and Minguk on his phone. Their one week mission assigned to them was thankfully going as smooth as planned, in fact, they already solved the case. All they needed to do was polish some minor details and as a result they have been given an hour break after lunch to do anything they want as long as they would follow protocol and not be recognized. He and his team chose to sit down and relax as they catch up with their families.

“Huh? This one was good! How come I haven’t seen this before?” he exclaimed as he sees pictures of Mo Yeon laughing while cooking food. The answer to the mystery was given when he turn to the next picture. It was Minguk taking a selfie secretly while Mo Yeon works on the background. “OH? He’s great” he added while laughing loudly.

“You guys think he’s okay?” Piccolo asked loudly, staring at their Big Boss wonderingly.

“I don’t know. I’m quite surprise he’s even here” Harry Potter shrugged as Snoopy coughs loudly.

“What? Is there something wrong with my face?” Si Jin asked when he finally lifted his head from his phone and his smile turn into frown when he saw all of them looking at him weirdly, except Dae Young.

“Nothing” Snoopy shakes his head at him and turn back at his mobile, occasionally sneaking looks at him.

 “It was just strange to see you here with us during a break time on our mission especially here in abroad” Harry Potter pipes in, gazing at him unwavering.

“You sound like I don’t hang out with you guys” Si Jin joked but his smile quickly melted when he saw them not laughing.

“You kind of do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter