Final.

Pluviophile
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

I looked up into the cloudy sky above me. It’s so dark and gloomy, just like the situation that I faced right now. I hoped it would be raining soon so the rains could erase my thoughts away. I let a huge sigh as I walked inside the court, the trial would be start in ten minutes.

The trial was already finished. My parents had been officially divorced today. I looked outside the window of the court room. It was raining heavily and I heard thunder was roaring outside. I snapped from my thoughts when I heard my Mother’s voice.

“Hyojin, are you okay?” My mom said while patting my shoulder.

How could I be okay when my parents just divorced? “I’m okay mom. I hope it’s the best way for you and dad.” I smiled slightly. But of course, it’s not the best way for me.

My mom just nodded her head and she said. “You should come back to home soon Hyojin. Since your dad will be leaving from our house tonight so you won’t hear and watch your parents arguing with each other again…..like before.”

“No Mom. I’m okay with living by myself.” I just shook my head and smiling at her.

“But Hyojin….You’re my only daughter, I don’t wan---“

“Mom it’s okay. It’s been almost two years that I’ve been living on my own. Besides that my apartment is near my school too, you know I’m already in my last year right? So I can’t come late, my school is really strict.” I smiled once again. “I promise you I’ll come often to our house on the weekend.” I said as I hugged her. I knew it’s hard for leaving my mom alone with the maids in our big house but I already promised to myself that I wanted to keep living alone on my own. Besides my Dad already asked me to move out with him yesterday and of course, I already declined it. So it’s fair enough if I rejected to not living with both of them right?

Suddenly I felt a strong arm was wrapping around my shoulder. I turned my head and I saw my Dad was grinning at me. “Our daughter is already mature enough to live on her own so just let her be.” He said to my Mom as he ruffled my hair. I was smiling widely as I tried to hold my tears which were threatening to fall. I would surely miss this, hugging with my parents while talking to each other. Even though my parents weren’t together anymore, I still hoped that we could still spend our times together in the future. I kept hugging my mom and my dad while rains were still pouring down outside.

 

 

♦♦♦

 

 

I walked into my boyfriend’s house while holding a box of cake. I was going to surprise him because today was our first year anniversary. I looked up into the sky and it looked like it wanted to be raining soon. I was regretting that I didn’t bring the umbrella. I walked faster and my boyfriend’s house was already in sight. I squinted my eyes a bit when I saw my boyfriend stood in front of his house gate. But wait, is he hugging someone? I walked slower as I approached them. I saw my boyfriend released the hug and he kissed the girl’s forehead. I was already ten meters away from them and my boyfriend didn’t see me because he was back facing me. I tried to keep being positive. Maybe she’s his relative. But the next thing that my boyfriend said was piercing through my heart.

“I love you so much Minji. I promise you I’ll break up with her today.” My boyfriend said to the girl in front of him. I almost dropped the cake to the ground. I didn’t believe my ears at first but sad to say that it’s the reality.

“Jongin….” I whispered his name in reflect.

Jongin turned his body to me and I saw his eyes widened when he saw me. “Hyojin…. I … I can…. I can explain it.” He stammered and tried to hold my hand but I dodged it right away.

“You want to explain that you’re going to break up with me right?” I said as I raised my eyebrow. The rains were starting to drop from the sky but I didn’t care about it. “You don’t have to explain it Jongin, I already get it. We’re over. Thanks for everything.” I said to him with the coldest way that I could while I was trying so hard to hold my tears. I turned my body from him and I started to walk away. I heard Jongin was calling my name over and over again but I didn’t bother to stop nor to turn my body to him.

I walked lifelessly on the side of the road and I already drenched from the rain because it’s raining so heavily. I was sobbing in silent, I couldn’t control my tears anymore. I could act strong in front of Jongin a while ago because I had my pride but now I couldn’t pretend to be strong anymore. People kept glancing at me but I didn’t give a single about it. I didn’t care if people judging me as a pathetic girl right now. I loved when it was raining like this because I could cry as much as I could without worrying if someone would notice my tears. I kept walking until I arrived at the old and unused building. I walked inside it and I began to climb the stairs until I reached the rooftop. Whenever I had a problem I always came here to reduce my stress.

I walked slowly and I stood against the railing. I looked into the rainy sky and I smiled softly. Seemed like the rains didn’t show the sign that it would be stopped in the next one hour. I shut my eyes as I reminded about my boyfriend, no, it’s my ex-boyfriend. My first love and my first boyfriend ever. I loved him so much and I didn’t know what I had done to deserve all of these s. A week ago my parents had divorced and today? I just broke up with my boyfriend. I opened my eyes and snapped from my thoughts when I felt a hand grabbing mine.

“Yah! Don’t do anything stupid! I don’t know how big your problem but committing suicide never solved any problems so don’t be so reckless!” I turned my head to my side and I saw a boy who’s wearing a high school uniform while holding an umbrella were staring deeply at me. I just blinked my eyes at him. “Hey, are you okay?” He asked once again as he shared the umbrella with me.

“Save your umbrella for yourself, I don’t need it. And yes I’m okay.” I said to the stranger guy as I pulled my hand away from him. I backed away from the umbrella and I felt rains were drenching me up once again.

“Okay okay I get it, but as I said before don’t commit suicide. You still have a long precious way in the future.” He said in frustration. What? Committing suicide? I’m not that stupid!

“Hey Mr. I-know-everything, listen, do I look like I’m stupid enough to let myself die just because my ex-boyfriend cheated on me? I will never do that!” I scoffed.

I saw he let a relieve sigh and he smiled. “It’s glad to hear that. I saw you were walking under the rain on the road side before and you didn’t look so well so I chose to follow you. I’m sorry if I crossed your privacy but I’m worried if anything bad would happen. I was worried though when I saw you were standing against this railing, I thought you want to jump from this building.” He was frowning then he said once again while smiling. “I’m glad that you won’t do something risky. I hope your problem will be solved soon and don’t spend too much your time in the rain. You will end up getting sick.”

 

 

 

 

4 Years Later

 

“Hyojin, are you ready to go? You are going to have the interview in thirty minutes right?” My co-worker, Hana, was asking me while typing on his keyboard.

“Yes, unnie! But wait a minute I’m still copying the materials for the interview later.” I said as I pressed the button on the copy machine.

“Hurry up Hyojin, you should arrive there before him. We’re so lucky to make him agreed with our interview, you know that he always rejects an interview from we don’t know how many magazine publishers which he has been rejected.” She said and she continued. “Besides that, we don’t know though why he agreed to have an interview in the café. I mean why didn’t he choose his office for the interview? We all know that he’s a busy person.”

I just smiled at her. “Maybe he’s bored with his own office and wants to get a fresh air?” I took the papers and I clipped them before I put it inside my bag. “I’m going first unnie. Wish me luck, hope the interview will go fine and smoothly.” I took my bag and I waved at her.

“Fighting Hyojin! You can do it! I heard he’s very handsome too!” I heard Hana was shouting and chuckling at me. I just shook my head and closed the office door.

I arrived at the café in fifteen minutes. I took a seat beside the window which had been reserved from our office before. I ordered a hot chocolate to accompany me. I still had another fifteen minutes to start the interview and Mr. Jeon who’s the Vice President from The Jeons Corp. hasn’t arrived yet. Yes, I was working as an editor in one of the prestigious magazine publishers in Seoul. Right now I was going to have an interview with a young and popular Vice President of The Jeons Corp. I looked out the window and I saw the sky was getting cloudier and darker. I smiled slightly because I already imagined it would be raining soon.

Well, why was I so in love with the rainy days? My friends told me that I’ve got a syndrome called ‘Pluviophile’, which was a lover of rain, someone who found joy and peace of mind during rainy days. I didn’t know though when did I get this pluviophile. Maybe it when my parents had their first fight, it happened on a rainy day six years ago when I was still in my high school. I recalled that I locked myself in my bedroom when they had their first fight and I was glad that day was raining so heavily. I became to find peace and comfort from the rains. I became to love the darkness of the sky, the sound of rain and the after rain scent. I didn’t even mind getting soaked in the rain, though.

Incident by incident kept happening on the rainy days. After my parents had their first fight, they kept fighting and arguing since then. I became to feel uncomfortable at home and I chose to move out to the apartment near my school to live by my own. Two years have passed after their first fight and my parents officially got divorced. The divorce was also happened on a rainy day. Other bad experiences were when I found out that my ex-boyfriend cheated on me four years ago and I almost got by him one week later because he didn’t want to break up with me, but I was so glad there’s a savior who saved me to not getting . I owed him so much. The funny thing was the guy who saved me from the accident was the same guy who told me to not committing suicide. It was kind of a shame to say that I had never met him again since he saved me four years ago, I didn’t remember his face nor I didn’t know his name at all kinda stress me out because I’ve never said a proper thank you to him. I promised to myself that I was going to thank him and to treat him a simple lunch or dinner when I had a chance to meet him again in the future.

I snapped from my thoughts when I heard someone cleared his throat. I turned my head from the window to the man who stood in front of me.

“Hello, I’m sorry I’m a bit late. The meeting in the office has been postponed for an hour.” He said as he offered his hand to me. “I’m Jeon Jungkook and you must be Choi Hyojin the famous editor who will interview me?”

I stood up from my seat and I took his hand for a handshake. “Yes, I’m Choi Hyojin and it’s okay you aren’t late.” I smiled at him.

He nodded his head as he released my hand. “Please have a sit.” He said as he sat on his seat. He ordered a hot Americano to the waiter then he turned his attention back to me. “Okay, you can start the interview Hyojin-ssi.” He said while smiling.

 

♦♦♦

 

I didn’t know what’s wrong with me and my heart. Since I had a heartbreak from my first love or should I say my first boyfriend, I promised to myself that I would never want to start a relationship with any other guy. All the guys were the same to me because they were all like jerks in my eyes but this guy was indeed different. He treated me like I was the most important woman in his life. I never imagined I could be this close with the youngest and the most successful man from this country. He’s none other than Jeon Jungkook, the Vice President of Jeons Corp. and also the son of the CEO of Jeons Corp. I never imagined I would be this lucky, though.

After our first meeting back then in the interview three months ago, we’re being closer than ever. The interview went extremely fine, he even told me about his personal life and we were talking and sharing our experiences with each other like an old friend after the interview session. A week after that, my magazine publisher had been invited to have a company dinner at the Jeons Corp. to thank us for our work to get the Vice President from their company to become the main headline on the magazine. Jungkook kept our distance closer and we were starting to become great friends. We were starting to spend our time together, from the simple lunch, watching movies together, walking around the park, and like right now, we were having dinner in the fancy restaurant. I always told myself that we were just friends and I didn’t want to expect too much because I knew he just saw me as a good friend and I didn’t want to end up being disappointed in the end.

I snapped from my thoughts when I felt Jungkook’s hand grabbing mine as he caressing it softly. “What’s wrong Hyojin? Are you not feeling well?” Jungkoo looked at me with a worried face.

“Uhm no Jungkook I’m fine.” I said as I looked down on my lap. I pulled my hand away from his hand but he grabbed it again and he held it tightly. My heart was beating extremely fast right now.

“Hyojin, I know something is wrong. Look at me.” He said softly as he tilted my chin with his other hand.  No Jungkook please don’t do this to me.

With the way Jungkook treated me like he cared for me the most, I couldn’t help but falling for him even more. Yes, I had to admit it now. I liked him. He never acted like this to other women out there. So it’s not my fault if I developed something for him and to be honest, I didn’t want to end up knowing that he didn’t have the same feeling to me. But I kept repeating to myself that I didn’t have any feeling for Jungkook but my heart didn’t follow what I want. I knew I was in denial. People in South Korea knew that Jeon Jungkook was a perfect man so I was trying so hard to hold myself to not have a single feeling

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter