Camp

Maybe in Another Universe

I'm starting this off with a nice light-hearted camp au inspired by tumblr user thebrassyopeningtoirresistible's prompt "We're both 'team leaders' at a summer camp for little people and you may be hot but goddammit my collection of twelve-year-olds are going to beat yours into the dust"

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

“We think it would be fun if we added an element of competition to this year’s camp activities,” The Camp Coordinator Dong Wan told the assembled group of Counselors. Ji Hyo perked up at the idea, already getting competitive.

When Jae Suk asked for clarification Dong Wan explained, “I think it would make it more fun for groups to be rewarded for things like participating a lot in the sing a longs, or being proactive during the activities. I was thinking there could be a reward for which ever group does the best by the end of the summer. Whoever has the most points, I guess.”

“Is this Harry Potter?” Haha joked, though Ji Hyo could tell he wasn’t actually against the idea. She also knew that once it started he’d get as competitive as any of them.

“Look, Harry Potter is full of good ideas!” Dong Wan defended himself, “Besides, it will be different. You can’t just give and take away points whenever you want, because I know what a mess that would be.”

Pointed looks were given to the bench when Kwang Soo, Suk Jin, and Haha sat together in a row, and Ji Hyo laughed in agreement.

They worked the kinks out of the plan as best they could before they actually put it into place with Dong Wan and then he dismissed them to head outside to try to unpack some of the things in their cabins before the campers stated getting there. She had just grabbed the strap to her embarrassingly heavy duffle bag when Gary snatched it out of her hands and managed to get it over his shoulder, “Aigoo Mong Ji Hyo, you’re moving service is here!”

He seemed embarrassed with his own awkwardness as he hurried past her without making eye contact. She laughed a bit and tried to catch up with him, though he had a good head start. She passed the rest of her friends who were all either laughing to shaking their heads. Gary wasn’t far from her cabin when his shoulder finally seemed to give out and he let her bag drop on the ground, “Why is it so heavy?!”

He waited for her to catch up before he picked it back up, ignoring her protests, “Don’t give me apologies, give me your heart.”

She laughed and rolled her eyes, “Kang Gary, this is how you talk to all the girls isn’t it?”

He furrowed his brow but she changed the topic before he could ask why she thought he’d be talking to other girls like that. “Oppa, what do you think about the new point system?”

“Well,” He nodded, considering how to answer, “I’m confident.”

“That you’ll win?”

“Of course! Why you don’t think I will?” He looked offended at her disbelieving expression, “I may be a man that can’t do anything for myself, but I have a good feeling about my campers this year.”

“Well, you’re crazy if you think your group of twelve year olds could beat mine.”

“Aigoo, Miss Mong, aren’t you too competitive?” he laughed as he followed her into her cabin. The biggest perk of being the only female counselor was the cabin all to herself. He set her duffle bag on her bed.

“Who are you rooming with this year?” She asked him.

“Haha again this year, cabin three. I’ll tell you what side my windows on later so you know which one to throw stones at if you miss me at night,”

She made a face at him and sent him away with her thanks.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ji Hyo led her campers over to the area in front of the lake where she was told to meet with her group, “Okay you guys, this year the camp is trying something different, we’re going to try a point system to reward the camp group who participates in activities and other games and events that we have this summer. Tonight is the first chance to win points at the start of the year bon fire. After sunset, all the campers go to the fire pit and we roast marshmallows and sing songs. We’ll have different games for you guys to play throughout the night too, and the team that wins the most at the end of the night will get the most points.”

“Is it like, important to win?” One of the older girls asked, obviously not as excited by the thought of competition as Ji Hyo.

“Well, I mean have fun. Even if we can’t win, we need to try our best,” Ji Hyo thought about it a second and said, “We need to at least beat Suk Jin and Kwang Soo.”

_____________________________________________________________________________

The annual sing-a-long turned into more of a scream off very quickly. Haha and Kwang Soo easily had the loudest voices, and both of them were trying desperately to pump their students up. Ji Hyo yelled the camp song as loud as she could as well, not caring that she was wildly off tune, but her voice was drowned out by everyone else’s, though, to her satisfaction, her campers were really loud.

Haha got in her face and scream-sung (“CAMP RUNNING MAN, WHERE LIFE-LONG FRIENDS ARE MADE”) in his most annoying little kid voice so she grabbed him by the hair and Jae Suk had to come over to calm her down, though they were all laughing.

“Aish, you guys are such bad role models,” Jae Suk sighed once the song ended, “The two finalists that will face off with the bear song are,” he paused for dramatic effect, “Kwangsoo and Haha!”

While the two finalists cheered like they had won the world cup Ji Hyo turned back to her group and told them it was okay while clapping for her friends. She sat down in in front of her group to watch the competition and Gary sat down next to her, “what was that about having the best group of twelve year olds?”

“Yah! It was one game, shut up,” She laughed.

Their chance to say anything else was taken by the monstrous roaring of Haha and Kwang Soo’s face-off (“THE OTHER DAY/ THE OTHER DAY/ I MET A BEAR/ I MET A BEAR).

______________________________________________________________________

After their defeat at the first event, Ji Hyo was on the war path. Her friends made fun of how competitive she got, though she wasn’t the only one. Dong Wan hadn’t really known what he was getting himself into. While her and Jong Kook were the most personally invested, Gary always seemed to be there when one of them had free time and she wasn’t complaining. She had always thought he was sweet and funny and she had seen him as a brother, just like the other guys that had been a part of her little camp family since she was 10, but something seemed different about him this summer.

One day after Lunch when all the kids had free time, Gary asked Ji Hyo to meet him in the music pavilion. He sat down at the piano and gestured for her to join him. “I haven’t worked a much on my music as I promised Gil I would but… I don’t know just listen to this.”

He started to play a wonderful melody on the piano and as he softly sang the words. Ji Hyo looked from his hands to his face and saw how the nerves seemed to melt away when he was playing music and she had the very clear thought that she was in trouble now. Gary noticed her staring and paused his playing, “Is it bad?”

She laughed softly and shook her head, “It was beautiful.”

He looked away first.

She realized that this was her chance, and it would have to be her to make the first move.

“Oppa,” she said softly to get his attention. When he turned toward her, she almost laughed at the way her stomach was full of butterflies, as if she were in middle school with her first love. She leaned towards him and, with one hand on his chest, lightly brushed her lips against his before backing up a bit to gauge his reaction. She didn’t have make the first move this time. His hands automatically moved around her waist to hold her closer and he kissed her this time, tenderly, and she could feel him begin to smile against her lips.

They pulled away from each other, though he still held her close, and he laughed in disbelief, “Is this real? Are you sure?”

She laughed back and rolled her eyes, “I’m sure,”

They stayed in the music room together, messing around while he tried to teach her how to play chopsticks on the piano (as a general rule she was great at games but not at music) and occasionally getting distracted with each other when Ji Hyo noticed it was already almost time for dinner. Gary grabbed her hand and started leading her out the door but she pulled her hand away and explained, “It’s embarrassing to just show up holding hands shouldn’t we tell them first?”

“Eh, we’re not going to live it down either way,” He pointed out. But he didn’t push it and instead teased, “I don’t care how pretty you are, I’m not letting you win the first camp award.”

He ran ahead a bit and she laughed in disbelief at his back, “As if you have a choice! My campers are going to DESTROY yours! Kang Gary! Get back here!”