Too Good To Be True

Weather.

“Seungri? I’m home.” He calls out at his toes off his shoes and hangs his jacket up.

“Hyung!” Seungri shouts from the bathroom, “I’m on the toilet paying for the lunch you made for me, you !”

Jiyong chuckles to himself as he makes his way into the kitchen, he makes a mental note to replace the bottle of hot sauce he used in Seungri’s pasta salad.

He pulls a plate out from the dishwasher and clicks the kettle on, he considers shouting up and seeing if Seungri wants a cup of tea too but he figures he’s gonna be in there for a while and he was an anyway, so he only makes the one. Jiyong takes the last cinnamon roll out of his bag and pops it onto the plate, some of the sticky sweet glaze off his fingers. He picks up his mug and plate and heads upstairs, he’s concentrating so hard on not spilling a drop of tea on the stairs that he doesn’t see Seungri waiting for him at the top of them.

“Well, well, well” Seungri’s voice startles Jiyong so much so that he almost falls back down the stairs he just so carefully climbed. “Nooooo!” Jiyong’s eyes are wide and his arm aches with the amount of effort he’s putting into trying to keep it still and save his tea. He catches himself just in time and uses his elbow on the banister rail to keep his balance but watches with a pout as a few drops of his tea race down the side of his mug and drip onto the carpet.

“Was that really necessary?” Jiyong’s pout is still going strong but Seungri has his arms folded tightly across his chest and is trying to look as stern as his baby face will let him.

“Yes, I believe it was, Jiyong. I can’t believe I’m about to tell you this but my actually stings, okay? Never do that to me or my food ever again.” Seungri’s looking up at the ceiling now, beyond embarrassed at the information he just gave his roommate. Jiyong on the other hand had no shame apparently and was laughing so hard tears were starting to gather in the corners of his eyes. “You really think this is funny, huh?” Seungri puffs his chest out in a desperate attempt to look ‘macho’ and maybe scare Jiyong enough to stop that annoying honking laughter of his but if anything it just encourages it. “Fine.” He deflates back to his normal size and glares at Jiyong before sticking his hand out a mere few centimetres away from Jiyong’s precious cup of tea.

“No! Seungri, no!” Jiyong watches with panicked eyes as Seungri inches forward, his mouth is pulled down in a look of terror and it all feels like it’s moving in slow motion. He can’t pull the mug away now because he’d have to do it pretty fast to dodge Seungri’s hand and the cup is full to the brim so the tea would go everywhere anyway. Seungri’s lips adopt a smirk and he makes sure he’s got eye contact with Jiyong when he hooks his fingers under the mug and with one swift flick of his wrist sends it flying backwards, dumping its entire contents onto the carpet behind them.

There’s a prolonged silence between them, as if they’re both trying to process that actually just happened. There isn’t a hint of Seungri’s smirk left as it’s been replaced with a perfect ‘o’ shape and his eyes are darting between the now soggy stairs and a silently simmering Jiyong.

“I’m going to give you 5, no 3, seconds to get out of my sight or you’ll be wearing my cinnamon roll.” With that, Seungri dashes past Jiyong and they both cringe at the audible squelching when Seungri runs down the stairs. After a few deep breaths and counting to ten in his head a few times Jiyong huffs his way up the last two steps and stomps his way to his room, stopping just before to shout down to Seungri.

“You’re the one that’s cleaning that up!”

After 10 minutes of sulking and angrily ripping apart his cinnamon roll and throwing it into his mouth Jiyong decides he has mourned the loss of his tea for long enough now and was ready to make a new one. He picks up his plate and plods out of his room, the smell of fabric cleaning spray was strong in the air and Jiyong smiles to himself as he walks down the stairs. Seungri shoots up when he hears Jiyong’s feet on the laminate flooring behind him.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I was out of line earlier.” He doesn’t turn around but he mutes his ‘stupid antique show’ to make sure that Jiyong hears him. Jiyong replies with a simple ‘mmm’ noise but he’s glad Seungri won’t look at him because there’s no chance Jiyong would be able to hide the smile that was on his face right now.

The truth is, Jiyong wasn’t all that mad anymore. In the moment he was furious and he knows that Seungri knows that but now he’s had the chance to cool down a little he realises he that he kind of deserved what Seungri did, he did make him nearly himself after all. He can see the funny side to it now but he knows Seungri needs this constant kind of approval, he needs his hyung to tell him it’s okay and that they’re fine for him to actually believe it and knowing this, Jiyong decides to have a just a little bit more fun with him.

He makes himself another cup of tea and makes his way to go back up to his room.

“I’ll turn my show off now, it’s 5:54 so you have 6 minutes to get yourself comfy.” Seungri is patting Jiyong’s usual 6 o’clock spot on the sofa and Jiyong just stares. “Oh, I’m watching it in my room tonight.” Jiyong schools his face into a look of nonchalance and turns to leave. “What? Why?” Seungri sounds meek, maybe even a little scared and Jiyong knows he should feel bad but that mischievous smile is still plastered on his face. “I can’t risk my personal paparazzi taking any more intrusive photos now, can I?” and with that, he walks up the stairs.

It’s 5:58 when Jiyong closes his bedroom door and he carefully places his tea down on his desk before rushing towards his bed to find his TV remote that he’s sure he left somewhere under his sheets. After a few long seconds of frenzied searching he finds it and clicks his TV on. It’s already on the right channel (it’s the only one he watches) and he wiggles around until he’s comfortable, then he waits.

‘And now over to Seunghyun Choi with the weather forecast.’

Jiyong picks up the closest pillow, smushes his face into and lets out an almighty squeal. When he peeks over the pillow he instantly regrets having put it there in the first place. He rubs his eyes to make sure his mind isn’t playing tricks on him or that it isn’t just wishful thinking but no. There he is, the man who likes to eat at Jiyong’s favourite bakery, the man that is just as beautiful if not even more so in person, the man who is wearing that sacred grey suit Jiyong has only ever had the privilege of witnessing once before. It’s paired with a blue checked shirt, no tie, no open button, just the shirt and it’s more than enough for Jiyong. There’s a mic clipped on to the left lapel of his suit jacket and Jiyong envies the person that got to put it there.

He’s not sure if he’s imagining it or not but Seunghyun seems a little more chipper than usual today, smiling so much he almost looks shy with it but Jiyong isn’t complaining because the more he smiles, the more airtime those delicious dimples get. At one point he even giggles and that’s when Jiyong loses it. He jumps up, pillow hugged with all his might against his chest and stamps his slippered feet in pure ecstasy. Seunghyun shoots the camera this teeth baring, heart aching smile that turn his big beautiful eyes into the cutest slits in his face Jiyong has ever seen and he’s just about to fall to the floor when his bedroom door flies open.

“I knew you’d be watching and I can’t believe he’s wearing that grey suit you loved so much so I had to come and check on you.” Seungri’s words are so rushed Jiyong can just about make out what he said but once he’s looked at Seungri long enough to make sure it’s actually Seungri that barged into his room , his eyes are glued straight back to the TV.

“He’s so cute Seungri I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.” Jiyong whispers and Seungri watches his eyes flicker with concentration as he watches Seunghyun move his hand to point to places he doesn’t care about because he’s looking at that hand more than anything.

‘And that concludes today’s weather forecast.’

“No, no, no!” Jiyong drops the pillow so he can ball his fists and shake them at the TV screen as if he shakes them enough maybe the new reporter lady will go away and Seunghyun will come back in all his glory.

“Jiyong calm down, you can see him at the same time and place tomorrow.”

“I saw him today.” Jiyong breathes and his eyes grow wide like what happened today is only just sinking in. “Yeah, so did I.” Seungri laughs and turns to leave but Jiyong rushes to his side and has Seungri’s arm in a vice grip. “No, Seungri you don’t get it, I saw him! Like in real life!”Seungri gives Jiyong a look that tells him he doesn’t believe a word. “Jiyong, this is getting kinda desperate now.” Seungri deadpans and pulls his arm away. “No, really! He was in the bakery! I’m not lying!” Jiyong is waving his arms in exasperation because he needs Seungri to believe him. “He was right there Ri and he’s even more beautiful in real life.” Seungri registers the passion Jiyong is talking with and the way he’s talking with his whole body now, the crazy arms and throwing his head back at the end of every sentence and realises that, oh my god, Jiyong saw Seunghyun today.

“How have you only just told me this?!” Seungri is bouncing on the the spot with just as much excitement as his friend. “He was eating carrot cake Seungri! My favourite!” They’ve joined hands now and they’re bouncing in a circle like children on the playground until Seungri halts suddenly and sends Jiyong’s face full speed into his shoulder. “I thought cinnamon rolls were your favourite?” Seungri his head at Jiyong like a confused puppy.

“Well, now it’s carrot cake.”


 

After a long, hot shower Jiyong tucks himself up into bed. He reaches down the side of his bed for the cable to his phone charger, checks his phone one last time then plugs it in and pops it under his pillow. It’s only 8pm but Jiyong is feeling a little drained, but pleasantly so, so he decides to get yet another early night in hopes this unexpected good mood carries on until tomorrow. He’s teetering on the line of slightly conscious and fast asleep when his phone buzzes, he knows it’s probably nothing important but he also knows he won’t be able to sleep until he checks who/what it was. He slides his hand under his pillow and holds his phone up to his face and is a little bewildered by what he sees. It’s a text from an unknown number and the number is legit, not just spam but because his phone was locked there was no preview of what the text said, leaving him completely clueless.

He cautiously unlocks his phone and his thumb nervously hovers over the messaging app which is now sporting a little red bubble with a number 1 inside of it. After a few thick swallows Jiyong presses his thumb down and opens the mysterious message. 3 words into reading it and he already hates his friends again.

Hey, It’s Seunghyun! ^^ Sorry for texting at this hour but your friends gave me your number when they saw me in the bakery earlier. I know i’m breaking code by not waiting at least 24 hours but I was wondering if you’d like to meet me there again sometime soon? Cinnamon rolls are on me~

Jiyong is dumbfounded. This wasn’t real, it couldn’t be. Jiyong was sure his friends hadn’t even noticed Seunghyun but then again he didn’t really watch them once they were inside so anything could have happened knowing those two. There is no way in hell that the actual real life Choi Seunghyun has his number and wants to meet up. Oh god, was he asking him on a date? Choi Seunghyun was texting Jiyong and asking him out on a date? Jiyong’s mind is going a mile a minute and he rolls from side to side holding his phone so tightly he’s surprised it’s still in one piece. He rereads the text at least 7 times and rides a rollercoaster of emotions each time. Obviously he’s giddy, excited and straight up amazed all this could happen to him in just one short day, it was too good to be true.

That’s when Jiyong’s heart sinks, that’s it. It’s too good to be true. It’s his friends taking their teasing to a whole new level. They must have seen Seunghyun in the bakery and realised that’s why Jiyong didn’t go in and now they’ve decided to have some fun with him, their definition of fun, anyway. Jiyong sees red for a few hot minutes and slams his phone down on the bed. What is he supposed to do now? He could just ignore the text completely and pay no mind to the hints the troublemaking pair are bound to drop at some point or he could...what? What could he do that would finally make them ease off?

Then it hits him.

Hello Seunghyun, you woke me up so I guess you kind of owe me a cinnamon roll now. When works best for you?

Jiyong tries to make his reply as blunt as he can without coming off as plain rude. He doesn’t want his friends to know he’s on to them from the get go and but he doesn’t want to come across as too eager either, they enough as it is. He hits send and throws his phone back down with a drawn out sigh of frustration. Why him? What did he ever do to deserve such ty friends?

I do apologise, I hope I haven’t put you off with my inconsideration ;A;
Saturday is probably best for me if you’re still up for it? I could pick you up if you like? :3

The reply comes quicker than Jiyong was expecting and he hurriedly picks his phone up to read whatever bull reply his friends have conjured up. The excessive amount of emoticons ‘Seunghyun’ uses doesn’t seem very like Youngbae or Soojoo at all and this puts an annoying voice in his head that’s telling him this could actually be the real Seunghyun. Jiyong’s brows furrow at the war that was waging inside himself all over a few stupid texts and then he realises that this is what Youngbae and Soojoo want. The whole point of these texts were to fool Jiyong and make him believe it’s his Seunghyun, not just them playing around. But what about that bit at the end, the bit about picking him up? It didn’t make sense. Either way, Jiyong didn’t trust it one bit and shoots back a quick reply before he over thinks this anymore.

Saturday is good for me but don’t worry about picking me up, I’ll meet you there at 2. Now I’m going to try and go back to sleeping if you don’t mind.

Jiyong covers the his mouth with the back of his hand that’s holding his phone and lets out an embarrassingly high pitched yelp when he feels it vibrate against his teeth. Whoever he was texting was playing eager really well.

Of course, of course! I’m sorry again for waking you ;__;
2 o’clock is perfect for me, I’m really looking forward to seeing you! ^^
Sleep well ~

Jiyong rolls his eyes at the disgustingly cute text, ignoring how hard he’s blushing and plugs his phone back into the charger and slides it back under his pillow.

He doesn’t sleep a wink.



 

Work the next day goes by a lot faster than it had all week. Jiyong is sat in his cubicle listening to Youngbae hum a tune as he waits for his potential customer to pick up. They haven’t really spoken today, there was a brief ‘Good morning’ shared between the 3 of them on the stairs on the way up to the office but after that they all seemed to just knuckle down and get to work, which only fuels Jiyong’s suspicions. He’ll admit that it was busy and anyone else in his situation would probably just draw it up to coincidence, but Jiyong doubts that there’s ever been anyone in a position quite like his and he can’t help shake the feeling his friends are behind last night’s chain of events. He takes a few calls of his own, jotting down and typing up general reports and terms of the sales and when he checks the time he’s pleasantly surprised to see it’s just past 12.

Him and Youngbae stand up at the same time causing them to look at each other and laugh. “Great minds, eh?” Youngbae winks and nudges Jiyong with an elbow and he just laughs again. “You headed to the rooftop?” Youngbae asks as he watches Jiyong slide into his jacket. “Not straight away, I’m gonna see if the canteen have any of those legendary chicken mayo baguettes in first.” Youngbae nods his head in understanding “They are incredible. Me and Soo will meet you up there then?” “Sure, see you there.” Jiyong gives him a quick two wave and starts towards the canteen.

“We did our best, right?” Soojoo’s rest in her head on her bent knees, arms wrapped around them and swaying back and forth slightly. “No, I did my best,” Youngbae retorts through a mouthful of pajeon, “I have no idea what you did but the guy looked ready to run mile before I came over.” Soojoo shoves at his shoulder. “Shut up, where did that come from anyway? I’ve never seen you take charge like that before, I never had you down as the authoritative type.” She lifts her head and holds open once she’s finished talking in hopes Youngbae would take the hint and put some of that pajeon in . He does and she squeaks her thanks. “I’m never normally like that, you know me, but if you’re going to try and set my best friend up with his dream man at least do it properly.” Soojoo’s eyes widen at that. Youngbae has always been the quiet, laid back one of the trio so for her to get a telling off like that was quite rare. Youngbae looks proud of himself as he shoves more pajeon into his face with a smile so big he can barely close his mouth around it.

“Do you think he even texted him?” Soojoo wonders out loud and Youngbae gives a noncommittal shrug. “Judging by Jiyong’s mood today I’m guessing no.” “Yeah, you’re right, he’d be bouncing off the walls if he had.” Soojoo sighs and rests her head on Youngbae’s shoulder. “We did what we could, the ball is in his court now.” Youngbae feels Soojoo nod and he waves another piece of pajeon in front of her face, teasing her by pulling it just out of her reach every time she’s just about to get it.

“Ew, get a room.” Jiyong’s voice shocks them both and the food Youngbae was waving around falls to the floor. “Shut up.” Soojoo shoots and looks mournfully at the pajeon that’s now lying on the ground. “Oh no way, did your mum make that?” Jiyong is gesturing wildly towards Youngbae’s lunchbox and its contents and he’s nods, proud. “If I’d have known you had that I wouldn't have just eaten 6 inches of bread.” Jiyong whines and Youngbae laughs. “Who says I’m sharing?” “Consider yourself lucky that I just stuffed myself stupid otherwise we’d be having an all out brawl right now.” Jiyong plants himself on the ground next to Youngbae and pulls his cigarettes out of his pocket.

“So, you’ll never guess what happened to me last night.” Jiyong starts as he exhales smoke and looks off at nothing in particular, eye contact would give him away. Both Soojoo’s and Youngbae’s heads turn and they both raise the same eyebrow at Jiyong, he catches it in his peripheral and and laughs around his cigarette. “Seunghyun texted me.” His lips form a tight line and he raises his eyebrows, ready for them to pretend they don’t believe him.

The Seunghyun?” Soojoo shoots forward so fast she has to catch herself on all fours otherwise she’d be faceplanting the gravel beneath them right now. Jiyong tries not to let his suspicion show on his face but it’s a lot easier said than done, he squints his eyes in Soojoo’s direction. “Yeah, him.” “No ing way, man! What did he say?” Youngbae’s packing his now empty lunchbox into his backpack but his eyes are glued to Jiyong. “He wants to take me on a date.” Jiyong laughs unbelieving, his eyes searching his friends for any obvious guilt or mischief but it’s all clear so far.

“You have to go!” Soojoo squeals as she pulls herself into a standing position. Jiyong leans forward, rests an elbow on crossed legs and hooks his thumb under his chin. He’s looking up at Soojoo with an apprehending stare. “And why’s that?” He takes a lengthy drag. Go on, Jiyong thinks, expose yourself now and let’s not take this any further and he thinks he knows exactly what’s about to come out of Soojoo’s mouth when Youngbae chimes in. “Because he’s your dream man?” Youngbae sounds so convincingly confused Jiyong almost buys it.

“How would he have gotten my number? How do I know it’s really him?” Jiyong stubs his cigarette out on the floor and let’s youngbae help him up off it. “Why not call and ask? Two birds one stone.” Youngbae offers and Jiyong is stumped. Why didn’t he think of that? And why are his friends giving him idea on how to find them out?

“I’ve gotta say Ji, for a man as obsessed as you, you don’t sound all that excited about this.” Soojoo says as she pulls the door open and gestures with a wave of her arm for the boys to go first. Jiyong gives her a simple ‘hmm’ whilst he chews his lip, he was thoroughly confused now.

“It just seems a little too good to be true.”


 

 

 


A/N: 
2 UPDATES IN 2 DAYS?! WHAT IS GOING ON?! 
This one is a little shorter than I'd have liked but I had to end it here for the start of the next chapter to make sense I think? And who doesn't love a good cliffhanger? :D 
I'm loving all the comments are leaving so keep them coming! 
I can't promise another update as quick as this one but again, I have the next chapter in the works already so hopefully it shouldn't be too long! :3 

♥♥♥