Chapter 5

Young hearts

Mingyu was awake for a few moments before finally fluttering his eyes open and seeing the sun gleam through the windows in their cabin.  He heard voices coming from outside the cabin and saw the other beds empty; the boys must be cooking breakfast he thought.  He was a bit annoyed with the sunlight at first, but soon felt thankful for it; it allowed him to see the person he was cradling in his arms.  

 
Wonwoo was held between Mingyu's two arms and pulled tightly into his chest.  Mingyu could stay like that for an eternity; he wanted Wonwoo's warmth, his touch, his presence and every other thing his beautiful soul possesed.  Mingyu wanted to keep all of Wonwoo within his arms and in his grasp.  He didn't want to move from the comfort of their position, but he urged to see the others face in the light.  He slowly inched backwards so that he could see Wonwoo's face and was almost left breathless.  He couldn't fathom how dazzling Wonwoo was; he possesed not a single flaw in Mingyu's eyes.  He was perfect. 
 
Mingyu let out a small chuckle at his own cheesy thoughts; why did he like Wonwoo so much?  He had no clue; he just knew that everything was better with him.  When he first saw Wonwoo getting bullied by Sunghcheol, he was reminded of himself; that's why he ordered the other guys to attack.  He didn't want Sungcheol to abuse Wonwoo like he did to him or like he did to the poor cat.  He couldn't help but to compliment himself on saving Wonwoo because, wow, not only had he saved a kid in need, but also because he had saved the most beautiful specimen to ever touch this earth and the person that met the world to him.  
 
Mingyu grew up in the orphanage; he was put there when he was a baby and only had memories of that place. Every child he had ever grown attached to had left him and no adult had ever cared for him.  He had learned to never care too much for a person, because when he felt he had found a friend and someone that cares about him, they left him.  He accepted that the lonely feeling in his soul was the only friend he would ever have.  He adored the boys that he shared the cabin with, but he knew that, one day, they would be gone too.  He had promised himself that he would never grow attached to a person, but Wonwoo seemed to be the person to break that promise.
 
Mingyu slowly brought hand up to Wonwoo's face and brushed his thumb against his cheek bone.  "Cat," Mingyu said softly, "Cat, I think it's time you get up." 
 
Wonwoo slowly fluttered his eyes open at the touch of Mingyu's gentle hand.  Mingyu noticed the slight blush that crept it's way up Wonwoo's face, most likely due to their close proximity, and let out a small chuckle.  
 
"I think the boys are making breakfast," Mingyu told the one he was caressing so tenderly. 
 
"How long have you been awake," Wonwoo questioned with wide and innocent eyes that made Mingyu's heart beat a little faster than usual. 
 
"Not too long, why?" 
 
"Just curious.  What are we going to do today?" 
 
"I don't know, we usually just do whatever we feel like." 
 
"That's nice." 
 
"Hm?  Do you not do that?" 
 
"No." 
 
"Well, why not?" 
 
"I just didn't know what to do and I didn't have anyone to do it with.  I would go to school, go spend time with my grandmother, and then go to bed.  That's all I've ever done." 
 
"Do you want to do more?" 
 
"Of course.  Even just things like playing games with you and the boys make me feel like I'm doing more.  It makes me feel like I'm.....like I'm living, not just existing." 
 
"Well, my dear Cat, would you like to go out and live some more?" 
 
"Yes I would, .....Mingyu." 
 
Mingyu laughed while sitting up and began getting down from the loft, "you have a way with words, Cat." 
 
Wonwoo and Mingyu got out of the loft and went outside to greet the other boys who were making breakfast.  
 
"Why didn't you guys get us up when you woke up," Mingyu questioned while sitting on the porch; Wonwoo sat next to him.
 
"Well," Jeonghan said looking suddenly uncomfortable, "you guys looked, um well, you looked..." 
 
"Looked what?" 
 
"Tired." 
 
"Cute," Junhui said over Jeonghan; he quickly received a slap from Minghao. 
 
"You both looked very tired, so we though we would let you rest some more," Jeonghan said and quickly shot a threatening look at Junhui.  Chan and Seungkwan had been snickering the entire time.  
 
Mingyu just laughed a little, but he could see the redness that had formed in Wonwoo's face.  
 
"What's the matter, Cat," Mingyu teased while scooting a bit closer to Wonwoo.  
 
"So what are we doing today," Wonwoo asked, desperate to distract from his obviously flustered state of being; it didn't quite work due to his voice crack. 
 
"We need to go get food," Minghao said, "we're almost out." 
 
"I don't feel like begging today," Chan complained with a pout on his face. 
 
"Neither do I," Seungkwan joined in. 
 
"Do you guys always beg for food," Wonwoo asked. 
 
"Yes," Seokmin replied, "we don't have money so begging is all we can do." 
 
"Why don't you guys perform for money?  You could sing or put on a play and get money that way, like street performers." 
 
7 pairs of wide eyes all fell onto Wonwoo.  He shifted uncomfortably in his seat, "it was just a suggestion; if you don't like it-" 
 
"It's brilliant," Minghao exclaimed with sincere admiration, "that's a great idea!" 
 
"R-really?"
 
"Yes!  Don't you guys agree?" 
 
The other boys all nodded in agreement, not including Junhui who let out a small grunt; he was obviously not excited to be performing again.  
 
"You're just full of great thoughts, Cat," Mingyu said with sincere smile.  Wonwoo blushed again; Mingyu chuckled again.  
 
The boys ate their breakfast, excited with the new idea of getting money, and quickly set off into town.  They all knew that Wonwoo's town was not the place to go, it was run down and most everyone there was poor, so they decided to go to a bigger town.  They found a busy street that had small carts selling various things lining it; they decided that Wonwoo would collect the money while the boys performed. 
 
"Excuse me," Mingyu said in a loud voice that got the attention of almost everyone in the area, "me and my friends are performers; if you would so graciously lend us a moment of your time, we would like to put on a show for you.  Payments of any sort are accepted, however, there is no need to pay.  Simply enjoy." 
 
As the boys started their piece, a crowd formed.  The crowd was engulfed in the performance and showed it through their facial expressions.  Mingyu loved performing and the faces on the crowd when he performed made him burst with joy.  He felt incredibly proud, but even more proud when he saw Wonwoo's face, enjoying every second of the piece.  They ended their first performance and Wonwoo stepped in font if the crowd. 
 
"Anyone who would like to honor the performers with a token of appreciation, is welcome and I ask you give the payments to myself," Wonwoo spoke loud and clear which suprised Mingyu.  He was growing more confident and bold; Mingyu  was so happy to see him coming out of his shell.  
 
They not only received a enough money for food, but they also received merchandise from those selling on the street; things like clothes and accessories.  Wonwoo picked up a skirt that had been gifted to them, "what are we gonna do with this?" 
 
Mingyu thought for a moment before an idea popped into his head.  He broke into a mischievous grin, "I have an idea." 
 
"What is it?"
 
"Boys," Mingyu got the attention of the others who had performed with him, "why don't you go buy food?  I'm going to teach Cat how to perform." 
 
The other boys took the money and went to find someone who was selling food, while Wonwoo stood there with a fearful expression plastered on his face.  
 
"Mingyu, no," Wonwo tried to say with as much force as he could. 
 
"Why not," Mingyu asked quizzically. 
 
"Because, I won't be good at it." 
 
"You don't know that." 
 
"I've never done it before." 
 
"You had never played bullets before, but you still won." 
 
"What if I embarrass myself?" 
 
"Why do you think I'm having you put the skirt on?  You'll be a girl and no one will even recognize you.  Besides, you shouldn't be afraid to embarrass yourself; everyone embarrasses themselves, but it's the ones that do it without fear, who become more comfortable with themselves."  
 
Mingyu shoved the skirt, a scarf, and a flowy shirt to Wonwoo; he grabbed the clothes and walked around the corner to chance in an empty alley way.  He came out with the scarf around his head and the puffy shirt tucked into the long skirt.  Mingyu chuckled at the sight, but was also sort of impressed; Wonwoo made a pretty girl.  
 
"You look ravishing today, Cat," Mingyu said with a bit of mockery, but also with some sincerity. 
 
"This isn't funny, Mingyu," Wonwoo pouted, "I don't even look like a girl, I look like a guy dressed as a girl." 
 
"No you don't."
 
"Yes I do." 
 
"Do not fight with me, Wonwoo" 
 
"Why did you call me Wonwoo?  I thought I was Cat." 
 
"I can't call you anything without you questioning me, can I?" 
 
"Wonwoo is a guys name; I thought I was a girl." 
 
"Just a few moments ago you were protesting that you are a guy and now you're saying you're a girl.  Would you care to explain which one it is?"
 
"You're impressively frustrating."
 
"I'll take that as a compliment." 
 
"It wasn't one." 
 
"But I'm taking it as one." 
 
"Can't you take anything seriously? I'm uncomfortable!  I don't want to do a stupid play." 
 
"We're not going to do the play then." 
 
"Really?" 
 
"Really.  I am making you stay in the skirt though." 
 
"WHY!?" 
 
"Cause it's funny." 
 
Before Wonwoo got to protest again Mingyu grabbed his hand and pulled him along to go find some other street carts.  
 
"Fix your posture," Mingyu told Wonwoo, who had his head hung between his slouched shoulders, "ladies don't walk like that." 
 
Wonwoo shot him a sharp stare before grumbling, "I'm not a lady." 
 
"Well you are right now." 
 
"This is stupid." 
 
"It's a game." 
 
"Games are meant to be fun." 
 
"This isn't fun?" 
 
"No." 
 
"Well I guess we'll have to make it fun." 
 
"It's only ever going to be fun for you.  This makes me really uncomfortable; can't we just find the boys and leave?" 
 
"We'll leave when you have fun." 
 
"Can't I have fun as a guy?" 
 
"Nope."
 
Mingyu pulled Wonwoo to multiple carts that sold random things; some sold food, others sold perfume.  Mingyu dragged Wonwoo up to a cart selling cosmetics and he could see Wonwoo's face becoming red; not from embarrassment, but from anger.  Mingyu knew the other was a bit fed up with his antics, but he really wanted him to have fun.
 
"What can I do for you two, today," the nice lady that sold in the products asked in a sweet voice. 
 
"What makeup would you recommend for my girlfriend," Mingyu asked while gesturing to Wonwoo.  Wonwoo widened his eyes at the word 'girlfriend' and Mingyu simply mouthed to words 'it's a game' in response.  Wonwoo rolled his eyes while the kind lady got out some makeup she thought was suitable for him. 
 
"How about you try on this lipstick" the women said as she handed Wonwoo a light pink lipstick.  
 
Wonwoo just stood there looking at it before whispering to Mingyu, "I don't know how to put this on." 
 
"Just open it and put it on", Mingyu said quietly trying to not let the lady notice the confusion. 
 
"How do I get it to come up?" 
 
"Ummmm, you twist the bottom, I think." 
 
Wonwoo twisted the lipstick all the way out of the tube before it broke off and fell onto the ground.  They both looked up apologetically at the sales girl and she simply responded with, "how about a lip gloss instead?" 
 
Wonwoo put the lip gloss on, missing his lips a bit, and gave Mingyu a clearly dissatisfied look.  
 
"You know," Wonwoo spoke through a clenched jaw, "I would think that you know that I don't like makeup." 
 
"I just thought it would make you look pretty," Mingyu said with a mischievous smile. 
 
"Am I not pretty without makeup?  That's something you definitely shouldn't say to your girlfriend", Wonwoo made sure to put extra emphasis on the last word.  
 
Mingyu stood with his mouth agap and with no response coming anytime soon.  The women who sold the cosmetics sensed the tension that had arisen between the two and was eager to break it.
 
"Ummm, did you know this lip gloss is flavored," she asked with a forced smile; she felt almost as uncomfortable as Wonwoo.  "That one should taste like strawberries." 
 
"Taste like yucky makeup to me," Wonwoo said with a displeased face. 
 
"Maybe you need to put some more on," Mingyu suggested with an awkward smile.  The whole point of this was so that Wonwoo had fun and it was obvious that wasn't happening. 
 
"I don't need more; it's nasty." 
 
"Are you sure?" 
 
"It's on my lips.  I think I would know." 
 
"Are you really sure?" 
 
"MINGYU!  I AM AS SURE AS-", Wonwoo's words were cut off by a pair of lips against his own.  Mingyu panicked upon hearing Wonwoo yell and didn't want him to cause a scene; this probably wasn't the best way to stop it though.  Mingyu quickly pulled away and flashed the sales women a smile, "he- I mean she was wrong; it does taste like strawberries.  We'll buy it." 
 
Wonwoo had already stormed off and left Mingyu to pay.  He knew he pushed Wonwoo too far; he had only meant to have fun, but Wonwoo was uncomfortable and Mingyu only made it worse.  He went to go find Wonwoo and found him already dressed as a boy again and with tears rolling down his face.
 
"Cat, I'm so sorry," Mingyu said as he ran up to Wonwoo, "I only meant for you to have fun; it was just a game.  I-" 
 
"Not everything is a game, Mingyu," Wonwoo cut him off with a trembling voice.  "I told you I was uncomfortable and I asked to stop and why did you have to..." 
 
His words trailed off as he bit down on his lip.  Mingyu didn't know it would hurt him so bad; he had always  taken everything so lightly, he didn't know someone could feel so much pain because of something meant to be joyful.  He didn't know what it felt like to be uncomfortable or flustered; those were emotions he had never felt before.  He didn't know they could hurt so bad. 
 
"I'm going to go find Jeonghan and have him walk me home," Wonwoo said after a deep breath, "I haven't seen my grandma since yesterday and I have school tomorrow." 
 
"Cat, I'm so sorry," Mingyu desperately pleaded, but Wonwoo walked away without so much as a 'goodbye'. 
 
Mingyu walked to the cabin himself, he knew the boys would show up sooner or later, and felt something he had never felt before.  Guilt.  He had never done wrong towards someone, so he never knew what guilt felt like.  He had only felt responsible for someone's happiness, but never their sadness.  He wished so bad he could've changed Wonwoo's feelings, to put a smile one his face, but he couldn't.  He was in his loft when Jeonghan barged through the door. 
 
"You're an idiot," he said with a bitter voice. 
 
"Hello to you too," Mingyu responded sarcastically as he sat up from his lying down position. 
 
"You're the one who told us to protect Wonwoo, you're the one who said to treat him carefully, now look at what you did.  You made him cry!!" 
 
"I didn't mean to; I was trying to get him to have fun." 
 
"Mingyu, a person like Wonwoo is fragile.  When they say they're uncomfortable you need to respect them." 
 
"I didn't know he would get so upset." 
 
"Well he did.  And did you kiss him!?" 
 
"Did he tell you that too?"
 
"Well, yes and I could tell from the lipgloss on your face."
 
Mingyu quickly wiped his lips clean of the glossy residue and sighed, "he was yelling and I panicked." 
 
"That's what he said.  That was the part that made him upset though, not the cross dressing thing." 
 
"Why was he upset?"
 
Mingyu, having grown up in the orphanage, didn't understand simple things.  That was the reason he didn't know what certain emotions felt like and how people feel them.  It was also the reason he didn't understand the emotions that came with a kiss. 
 
"Mingyu, when someone kisses another person, that typically means that they love them.  You can't just throw around kisses jokingly, they're serious."
 
"Love.....that's something you only feel with one person, right?  And you can only feel that way with them?" 
 
"Yes." 
 
"Do you know what that feeling, feels like?" 
 
"I haven't been in love; I don't know.  But, when my mom was around, she told me that love was unexplainable.  She said that when you're in love, you don't know what you're feeling, but that feeling is love." 
 
"Well then it makes sense." 
 
"What makes sense?" 
 
"Why I kissed him.  I love Wonwoo."
 
Jeonghan sighed heavily as he ran his fingers through his hair, "well, maybe you should've told him that." 
 
"Yeah....maybe I should've...." 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Hello darlings~~~
 
I want to apologize for this update taking so long; I've been extremely busy.  I also want to say that I know the kiss scene wasn't anything special and I'm not very good at writing romance, but I didn't want to keep things platonic for too long.  I had written an outline of the story which I had been following, but I think I'm going to stray from it, which means more chapters.  I want to make it a bit longer, just to elaborate more on certain things, and I didn't want to give it a rushed ending.  But anyways, what did you guys think??  I hope you liked it and have a wonderful day~~~~ <3