All Be Fine

THE CAMPFIRE
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

"Yes, Minho was still manage the Lion Camp. His mother had died long time ago. It is the land of their ancestors , do you think he would run to leave the land after his parents died? " Mrs. Sungmin said as she give a pink wool yarn to Minseo," It's part of her dress, my sweet. "

That afternoon they were embroider a pillowcases. Mrs Sungmin generously willing to teach it to Minseo, that anyone never did before.

" Why do you ask ?"

" Last night I woke up and saw a campfire lit on the hill."

"Oh .. it was definitely him. Usually Minho burning straw and dry leaves to warm the animal. But how do you know Choi Minho? "

"Aunt Sungmin, I knew him when first visiting this inn with eomma."

" Oh really ?"

"Auntie ... it seems you're forgetting something. Do you remember the party in April? At that time the party was held at Lion Camp, you who took me there and I met him there. There were soju, a potato grilled ,sausages grilled , campfire and a woman who's screaming hysterically due to drunk ... " Sulli is trying to remind.

"Aaah ... I remember now. That’s the most festive party I ever attended here. I remember you’re disappeared, and I was relieved when saw you were sitting accompanied Minho. But I don't remember about your mother. "

" She didn't go because she’s unwell. We went to the Lioncamp , you drove the car . "

" Correct. It was the first time I attended such parties. Usually I was reluctant to go alone, although they were often invited me to . Besides,  that summer wasn't  many tourists came , the inn was quiet and I had time for myself. Eh ... but now we're talking about Minho. Err ... how old are you then? Seventeen , eighteen ? You just graduated from school. Wow ... it's been a long time, but you can still remember Choi Minho well. "

"All my life ... even when I was still another man's wife. " thought  Sulli  .

 

"Auntie, you have not answered the other question. Does he have  children now ? "

Sulli almost biting her tongue when asked it ,  not able to imagine a beautiful woman in  Minho’s sturdy and warm arms

"Minho? Supposedly he now has many children ... " Mrs. Sungmin said as daydreaming ," ... if  he got married. In fact he never married. Somehow. I used to think that he was a very interesting man. Here, many young women who talk about it and  be gutted when  he decided not to marry. Maybe it was his choice. "

Sulli’s shadow of Minho’s beautiful wife suddenly disappeared. Instead now she imagines a warm kitchen at Lion Camp were dirty and unkempt. The yard was overgrown with weeds, there were dirty clothes hanging everywhere . .

 

"Who would take care him whent his mother died ?"

" I have no idea. Maybe he had a housekeeper. A y beautiful woman ... well ... probably it could be a reason why he didn’t want to get married. Men love to take pleasure and don’t want to bother with the risk. "

Sulli smiled wryly, those words very aptly describes her late husband.

"Mommy, I'm done." Minseo stopped embroider ,  shows the sloppy result and just finished half. Her square glasses slipped to the tip of the nose.

"It's beautiful, dear ..." Sulli was forced to divert her mind

"I don’t want to embroider again, I'm thirsty. Can I drink lemonade? "

Sulli nodded, " 'And will you please to look Yoogeun for mommy? "

 

Just got closed, a boy is coming. An aircraft of timber clutched in his right hand . Raised it up.

"Mommy! Mommy !! I had the aircraft !! "

" Looks good !"

Sulli think of from where Yoogeun got the toy. But she doesn't need to ask because directly her son's chattering

"I got it from that uncle!"

Sulli’s head turned towards the door.

Time seemed stalled suddenly . Eight years which outstretched as if pursed in an instant.

He was there. Her first love.

Choi Minho.

 

He stood in the doorway, wore  a rough brown cotton clothes. He was as handsome as She ever remembered, though his hair now cut short and neat. His skin is brown, fuller body ...  he has turned into a real man.

"Annyeong Mrs. Sungmin."

His voice was heavy and deep ... but not as warm as she  ever heard.

"Minho?" Mrs.Sungmin get up from her chair, staring in disbelief, "What’s up ? You don’t usually come. "

"My phone was broken. Could I borrow your phone to contact the clinic? My housekeeper is sick, I need a doctor to examine her but I can’t leave her too long. "

" Of course. Come in ... it feels good to see you again. Since your mother died .... " Mrs. Sungmin  was silent ," Forgive  this sassy mouth , young man ... "

" It’s okay."

 

Now his eyes turn to Sulli.

"Sulli? Glad to see you again. "He said stiffly.

"Hello ..." stupidly , Sulli needless to say that  .

Sulli realize that all eyes and ears are there , on her...  even the guests who were enjoying the lunch stopped for moment and looking at them curiously.

"Ho .. how are you  ?"

"I’m good." Minho answered as needed, walks towards  the phone and started to dial.

Sulli still rooted to the spot, unable to look away from the figure whom fullfilled her imagination since last night. She did not realize Mrs. Sungmin's gaze  , or the skeptical gaze of guests there. Even when Choi Minho turned around, she was still staring at him.

 

The air in the room suddenly became tense.

"How are you?" Minho break the silence between them, "And what are you doing here?"

"We're on vacation." Sulli replied nervously, "You've met my son Yoogeun?"

"Yeah ... he's a handsome boy."

"It's my first children. Minseo ... "Sulli gently her hair.

The  stiffness on Minho’s vanished when he bent down and held out his hand toward Minseo who’s attached so tightly on Sulli, as if afraid that her mother would disappear at any time.

"Hello Minseo ... I'm glad to see an amazing little girl here. You know, usually only old ladies who are here. "

 

Minseo smiled, showing her shyness before then welcomed the helping hands.

"If you come to my home, you will see the kitties. They would loved to meet a beautiful girl like you..."

Minseo looked up to see her mother , "Can I mommy?"

"I don’t know ... maybe another time ." Answer Sulli stammered, "Uh  you want to drink lemonade, don't you ?" She remind

"Come Minseo , we should take lemonade for uncle Minho too!" Mrs. Sungmin  winked at Sulli who blushed.

 

==========

 

Now they sit in the courtyard, under a cherry tree. There was a shiny wooden bench where guests usually sit to enjoy the view to the sea from the inn.

"You don’t mind I brought a chat here ,do you ? If we talk in there , whatever we talked about... in half an hour will be spread in all corners of this small town. "

"I would prefer the open air."

 

Outside, under the sunset ... Minho put a bottle of lemonade on a wood table . They sat side by side with half of his body facing Sulli and their knees intersect. Minho start a conversation. From near Sulli could see his face more clearly, every line of his face that  she remembered. Even thin wrinkles in the corner of his eyes ... the eyes which had always smiling.

"God ... this is not a dream. I see him again ... and we sit together like the old days ... " Sulli thought bitterly.

"Say it !"

"Ss..say what ?"

"What has happened to you." Minho sighed, before adding, " I know you're married."

"Well ... right. A year after we met. "

"You met him at a party? Dinner invitation ?"

"Both ..." Sulli feels want to cry forced to remeber her painful years , ".. his name Lee Taemin." Sulli swallowed hard.

" I know. I read it  in a newspaper announcement. "

Sulli doesn’t say anything, she remembers  her marriage was publicized on some social media . Originally she thought that it was because they were proud to have her  ... but actually it was only for reinforcing one of the requirements of the decline in legacy to her husband's hand.

"Where are you living now?"

" Namwon. There is a family farmland  . "

"Where's your husband this afternoon ? Is he still playing surfboard like other tourists? Or is he  attending a meeting in one place here? "

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter