wasn't who everyone wanted...

The Wrong Twin

 

You’re not Lee Sungmin. Sure, your looks are uncannily similar but you’re not him.

When he heard this for the first time, he didn’t know how to react. It had been years already since he started to be ‘Lee Sungmin’ but no one has ever doubted him, even his parents see him as Lee Sungmin but not Kyuhyun. When he heard Kyuhyun bluntly say it, it came like a slap on the face.

 

He has often wondered why Kyuhyun was always cold to him and then he has his answer. Did he feel disappointed or happy that someone could actually tell them apart despite how he acts and speaks like Sungmin?

 

“Kyu, what are you saying?” he says with a smile “Would you please let go of my bling the others are waiting for us.” The sound of the speakers booming against the wall, making the ply woods leaning against it shake in a sort of rhythm.

“They’re waiting for Sungmin and me not some imposter.”

“That’s why I said they are waiting for us.”

“And that’s why I said ‘you are not Sungmin’ so please stop acting like him. It’s disgusting and I couldn’t believe no one has even noticed.” Kyuhyun said with a smirk. “What did you do with the real Sungmin? Did you kidnap him and hide him somewhere, but twelve years is a long time to hide someone. Perhaps you killed him.” he said with an arrogant air as he took off his shades.

“Yeah… maybe I did kill him.” he muttered, his head down.

Kyuhyun glared at him and pushed him aside. “Don’t ever show your disgusting face to me ever again.” And he entered the prestigious club.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Lee Donghae and Lee Sungmin were identical twins and even their voice were similar but like every identical twins their attitudes were quite different. The two of them were like night and day. Even though they were identical, their parents favor Sungmin more than him.

 

If he wasn’t timid, would his parents pay attention to him too? If he acted cute in front of others like Sungmin, would people say he’s cute? If he learned martial arts like Sungmin would girls think he’s cool and strong too? If Sungmin were dead… would they finally look at him? Donghae keeps thinking these things as they were growing up. He wanted and wished he could hate Sungmin but while everyone barely notices his existence, Sungmin gave probably all his love towards his younger twin brother.

 

*~*~*~*~*

Why does it have to be Sungmin? Their mother wailed as she cried over Sungmin’s death bed.

It is not Sungmin who died but Donghae. His father had said.

And ever since then, Donghae had tried to be Sungmin. Night and day, he practiced smiling in front of the mirror. He took up martial arts, and he talked to people as often as he could. In a few months time, his parents started addressing him as Sungmin unconsciously. When they visit Sungmin’s grave, “If only Donghae was more like you.” They said and even if it hurt, even if he wanted to say ‘But I’m Donghae’ he smiled a sad smile like Sungmin would and said something to defend him as Sungmin would have.

 

Over the years as people start acknowledging him as Sungmin and his parents stop blaming him for Sungmin’s death, Donghae thought that being Sungmin was actually the reason why he and Sungmin were twins but he was always frustrated whenever Kyuhyun opens his mouth, since nothing good comes out of it when it was about him. Donghae often wonders what is it in Kyuhyun that Sungmin was attracted to, how can a sweet, kind guy like his brother Sungmin be best friends with the rude, arrogant Kyuhyun? And Donghae tries not to dwell on it as often as he ponders about this phenomenon.

 

*~*~*~*~*

“Hey, Sungmin you seem a little out of it lately,” Ryeowook said. “Is anything wrong?”

“Huh? No there’s nothing. Why? How do I look like?” Donghae replied.

“I dunno… a bit introverted… like you’ve switched personalities.”

And Donghae was taken by surprise. “But that would be crazy unless you have MPD or a twin.” And Donghae laughed because he knew it was a joke. And when Ryeowook turns his back, his smile turned into a frown in an instant.

 

He didn’t realize that the knot of his mask loosened up, all these years he has never made a mistake, he has never acted Donghae-like. He knocked his head against the railings, hoping the pain will bring him back to reality. He was not Donghae anymore, Donghae died twelve years ago. He was Sungmin, the lively, talented, warm Sungmin. He was not the timid, weakling Donghae who did nothing but rely on his older brother… who killed his brother.

 

Being Sungmin was something he immediately accepted – his parents wanted Sungmin, everyone wanted Sungmin. It was something he had fun doing, he finally had the attention he wanted but for the first time in twelve years, Donghae was getting tired of acting like Sungmin. After that incident with Kyuhyun, his focus has become unsteady.

 

“Sungmin, let’s go to the club tonight!” Jonghyun said as he put an arm around Sungmin’s shoulder. “You didn’t come last time I invited you.”

Donghae’s eyes instantly went looking for Kyuhyun and when he saw Kyuhyun scowling at him he turned them down. “Sorry, but I have to pass again today.”

“What gives? Are you secretly meeting someone behind our backs?”  then Jonghyun turns to Kyuhyun. “Kyuhyun, you’re his bestest best friend, why don’t you convince him?”

“Why should we force him if he doesn’t want to come?”

“Eh? Why are you being so cold? I know you’re conceited but you could’ve been a little nicer.”

But Kyuhyun just snubbed at them and took off to his next class.  Jonghyun kept on whining against Donghae.

“Okay, okay, I’ll see what I can do but I won’t make any promises.”

 

Donghae came to the club but didn’t go in. He just stood, leaning against the wall, tapping his foot to the beat booming inside the club then left. He wanted to dance and let loose, dancing was probably something he owns but does anybody else actually know that? And he didn’t want to see Kyuhyun’s scowling face again. He had endured that disdainful look because he thought that even Sungmin wasn’t treated specially by Kyuhyun but when Kyuhyun told him he wasn’t Sungmin a vague memory of Sungmin and Kyuhyun playing and laughing together came to his thoughts and that made his heart twinge a little.

Why couldn’t you smile at me too? I am Sungmin now. Donghae thinks to himself and when he thinks of this, he thought it was like being in that situation twelve years ago. If it had really been Donghae that had died in that accident, if Sungmin didn’t protect him… that would’ve been better.



 

A/n: in MS word, it's a 4-page story so... i'll make it two chappie ffic here, so if you get bored and tired with the first chap you can just leave... if not... please read on and thank you <3