The First Impression

It Would Always be You

July 3, 2008

 

"Hey, Ddong, what are you looking at ?" Se Ra whispered then traced her friend's gaze. 

Oh , am I looking at him again ? Caught by surprise, Moonbyul could feel the blood stream rushed to her face caused it reddening. "Wh...what ?" stammered the girl. 

"Hey, do you think that I'm an idiot ? It takes a blind man to not notice that you've been staring Minhyuk oppa", Sera slurred back while pursing her lips towards the being-talked boy. They were sitting on floor at the academy waiting for the dance teacher. There were dozen of kids in the studio and they sat in small circle prior to 'who are you close with' rule. Yet, there was a group of boys oozing different aura. It seemed to attract girls to get closer and made them throw themselves into the ongoing conversation. That group was Minhyuk's.

"Is it that obvious ?"

"Are you kidding me ? You're making hole on oppa's face with your gaze", answered the girl in lowered voice.

"Damn, I just w-wait, what ? Oppa ?" Moonbyul glared at her friend. She had known Se Ra for 2 years as they were class mates since junior high and peers at academy. They were so close and practically inseperable as they spent most of their times together. People started calling them "The Rolling Duo" as both of them were chubby and were considerably possible to roll around if walking was too much to do. Facing comments about their chubbiness at school and academy made them grow closer as they tried to shield each other's back when things got rough. There was no secret between them. Moonbyul knew what made Se Ra happy and sad, and vice versa. 

But, still, how can she call Minhyuk 'oppa' ? Are they close ? Why she never mentioned that before ?

"Yaa, why do you call him 'oppa'~~ ?" Moon Byul repeated her question. She dragged the end of her sentence to make it more severe. "Are you close with him ?"

"Hah, you stupid, how can I be close with him when I spend most of my times with you ?" 

"Then why are you calling him 'oppa' ?" Moonbyul raised her tone.

"Shhhh..," Se Ra quickly placed his index finger and rested it on Moonbyul lips, "..are you crazy raising your tone like that ?" she whispered on her friend's ear wishing she could just bite the ear off out of frustation.

Ah, right. Minhyuk is popular. Moonbyul rolled her eyes to meet Se Ra's and nodded in understanding. Moonbyul was fully aware of the league's difference between her and Minhyuk. She was just an awkward chubby girl who tried to make her dream of becoming an idol came true by means dancing like -according to Se Ra- 'steamed vegetable'. While in other universe, Minhyuk existed in perfection. He had it all -dancing skill, singing, and visual. Rumor had it that he was a step away from signing contract with big agency. Aware of the different worlds they live in, Moonbyul couldn' t afford the risk of getting caught crushing on Minhyuk. People -especially the girls- would start spreading rumor if they knew the chubby frog-wise girl was longing for the prince. 

No, I can't let that happen. My only pleasure of stealing glances to him will vanish. He will feel disgusted to me, and even worse move to another academy.

"I'm sorry. I got carried away," Moonbyul escaped her lips from Se Ra's finger, "..then why the heck did you call him 'oppa' ?" she whispered back.

"It's nothing, you jealous girl. I'm just kidding. It is awkward to always call him 'sunbae' anyway," Se Ra claimed then sighed. "Love is stupid. You've become more stupid." 

Ah, right. I'm stupid, way more stupid if it has to do with Minhyuk.

"By the way, what holds the teacher so long?" Se Ra grunted. 

"Just be patient, oh, there he is," Moonbyul cut her sentence following the presence of the dance teacher. 

"I'm sorry for holding you so long," Mr. Kim said while walking to the center of the studio,"..the distraction needs my attention little bit more than I thought. Okey then, for today's lesson you will dance in couple. Find your partner and decide what dance you will perform at the end of the week. The result will affect your monthly report immensely." 

There was chaos at the studio. Each student tried to find their 'suitable' partner so they could earn the best score possible for the report. This report in the end would determine who would get recommendation to be auditioned at agency and who would likely to bury their dream of becoming idol. Moonbyul didn't need to find partner though. It was already destined that she would dance with Se Ra. 

With who else can it be other than Se Ra ? Aggh, those girls throw themselves to Minhyuk no less than moths to candle. Moonbyul caught Se Ra's hands and both of them knew right away that they would at the performance and there was no way of escaping otherwise. 

"No, no, no. Hey you, 'The Rolling Duo' !" Mr. Kim remarked while pointing his finger. "You two cannot be together. Hell there will be no improvement if you two keep stucking at each other."

"There is no other student who can be our partner, sir," Se Ra said while grabbing Moonbyul's wrist tighter. Other than her, no one wants to be my partner.

"No, you go with......," Mr. Kim frowned his eyebrows than shouting, "Do Woo ! You dance with Se Ra !" he said ponting his finger at a boy in red sweater. "And....for you..." he continued tilting his head right and left as if choosing Moonbyul's dance partner was the most difficult task possible, "you go with..."

Great, I'll be paired with a weirdo like what happened to Se Ra ! What can I ask for more ? Moonbyul cocked her head down in desperation. 

"Minhyuk, you go dance with her," Mr. Kim broke Moonbul's halo. Her mind went blank. Blood seemed to stream in weird circulation as her face went numb. She knew for sure that her heart stopped for seconds at moment Minhyuk's name mentioned. She stood there motionless yet she gasped  for air as if it was her last breath. 

Beside her, Se Ra squeeled and rocked Byul's wrist faster in pace.

Really ?

Moonbyul's pulled back to reality as Se Ra pinched her thumb. She then held her head up and started looking for Minhyuk. At that moment, she only needed to be sure that what happened was all true and what could reassure her was Minhyuk's face and perhaps his glimpse of agreement to team up with her. Moonbyul kept looking despite her eyes were blurred from excessive blinking out of impossibility of the moment and her ears somehow would turn deaf from all the jealous whispering of the 'moths' girls. Some of them are booing me

There, Minhyuk stood still. His gaze fixed on the girl's black long hair. Something in the girl's eyes had stopped him from moving. Something in the eyes had stopped him from nodding and going along with what had been commenced. Something about her so persistently rose up the anger that was so ancient and unknown in his chest.

"I'm sorry, Sir. But I don't want to be paired with her." Minhyuk supressed his words so the anger won't visible. 

Se Ra squeezed Byul's hand so hard that for sure would leave mark. Yet Moonbyul froze. Not moving nor replying the squeezing hands as at that very moment, Moonbyul's world shattered around her feet. World seemed to loosen its gravity pull on her as she felt weak and crumbled. Without she even knowing, tears started to dwell.