Ice Cream Juseyo

Ice Cream Juseyo
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Seriously, Youngbae? Avocado ice cream?"

“What hyung? There is nothing wrong with wanting to eat healthily!” the tips of Youngbae’s ears were pink as he handed a bill to the server and waited for his change. The guy behind the counter slowly counted and handed over the correct amount before turning to scoop their chosen treats – vanilla for Seunghyun, dairy free-gluten free-Paleo avocado ‘ice cream’ for Youngbae.

Seunghyun leaned against the display case and surveyed the shorter boy as they waited for their desserts. “Ice cream is not meant to be healthy. It’s meant to be a treat. Plus, how is this defying Hwangssabu if you have something healthy?”

Surprisingly, it had been Youngbae who had suggested going for ice cream. Youngbae - who’s second home was the gym, who never ate fried food, who actually listened to Hwangssabu -  had sidled up to Seunghyun after their dance lesson and asked if he wanted to go for ice cream. Seunghyun had accepted immediately, needing some comfort after his scolding from Jaewook and they agreed to meet after dinner time. Leaving the hostel without the others realising had been a challenge, but it was all worth it to get some time away.

“You are one to talk, hyung. How can you choose vanilla with all of these flavours available? Vanilla is boring!” Youngbae had bent down to inspect the variety of flavours in the display case, though when he stood up again that wonderful eyesmile had made an appearance.

“Vanilla is not boring. It’s the hardest ice cream out there to get right. It’s complexity in its simplest form” Seunghyun tried to have his face remain stoic as Youngbae dissolved into laughter.

“Complexity in its simplest form?! What does that even mean?” Youngbae punched Seunghyun playfully on the arm as he laughed.

Seunghyun couldn’t keep his face straight any longer and burst into his own set of giggles. “Fine, I read that quote on the internet and thought it sounded cool. I’ve been trying to slip it into conversation for ages.”

“It’s probably best to understand a quote fully before trying to use it in everyday conversation.” Both boys were still laughing as they accepted their treats from the server and turned to leave the shop.

It was still warm outside, despite the late hour. The street was quite empty as they walked companionably, shoulders bumping occasionally. Both knew exactly where they were headed – the small playground 5 minutes away from the ice cream shop, 10 minutes from their hostel. As their debut loomed, they hadn’t had much time to visit the playground. It had always served as a safe haven, a short escape from the hectic blur that had become their lives. As a group or just the two of them, the playground had always welcomed them and gave them the chance to be still for a while.

The duo m

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter