Chapter V - A Series of Miserable Events

Victory

Chapter V

A Series of Miserable Events

 

They arrived at the club later than expected because Joohyun just could not decide what to wear. Her options were very limited as she obviously had not foreshadowed going out for a party and in the end, she settled for a denim shirt and black shorts. She was not satisfied though, but Yongsun assured her that she looked stunning. Because she did, and it had nothing to do with what she was wearing. She could be dressed in a potato sack and she would still look dazzling.

And Seulgi still wouldn’t notice her. Yongsun sighed inwardly as she put on her plain white shirt. In contrast to her friend, she could not care less about how she looked like since she knew Joohyun’s eyes would be on Seulgi the whole night anyway, so why bother.

The club was probably the most expensive one in the city, knowing Seulgi, and of course, she reserved a VIP lounge for them with leather couches and chairs. Joohyun was taking in the views with hanging slightly agape. Yongsun figured it must have been her first time in such place.

They all took their seats and somehow Yongsun ended up sitting next to Seulgi while Wheein, Hyejin and Joohyun sat on the opposite couch. She did not plan it. She just trailed behind them and that was what she was left with.

“So, who wants a drink?” Seulgi asked and rubbed her palms excitedly. Yongsun cocked an eyebrow at her. “I mean, non-alcoholic drink, of course,” she put up her hands defensively.

“Hey, you got us the place, so we’ll get the drinks,” Hyejin said and stood up from the couch. “Yong come on, get up.”

“Wha--?” Yongsun wanted to protest because she definitely did not sign up for buying drinks to anyone. However, Hyejin was already pulling her by the arm and dragging her to the bar.

“Kang, the usual?” The redhead threw over her shoulder as she was leaving the lounge.

“Sure!” Came the answer barely audible because of the loud, thumping music.

Crossing arms at her chest, Yongsun stood in the queue with her friend. She really was not in a mood for a party, or for anything other than sleep. She had nothing to celebrate, or to be happy about. Her life turned into this twisted series of miserable events. During the training she made an idiot of herself again and now, she was stuck in some stupid club with dreadful music, buying drinks she did not want to buy while her crush was ogling her roommate, again. On top of that, she was forced to play with that stupid blond fox tomorrow. Just thinking about it made her blood boil and she wanted to scream out of frustration.

“Well, hello there.”

Hyejin’s sultry voice caught her attention. She followed her line of vision and noticed a tall guy in a sleeveless shirt, chatting with a small group of people.

“Get me a rum with coke,” the redhead said, not tearing her eyes away from the guy and shoved a couple of banknotes into Yongsun’s palm.

“Hey, wait--!” Yongsun’s words fell on deaf ears as Hyejin strutted over to the guy.

She growled in annoyance and stomped her foot. Seriously? Even her friends were adding to her suffering? Can’t it get any worse than this? She soon regretted her thoughts as she heard the familiar voice, drawl behind her back.

“Well, well, well, who do we have here? I would never peg you for a rule-breaker, Kim.”

Yongsun took a deep breath and counted to ten because as much as her life was miserable, she would not want to spend the rest of it in prison for murdering Moon Byulyi. The girl was not worth it. Turning around with a fake grin glued to her lips, she was about to say something when the bartender interjected in smooth English.

“What can I get you, ladies?”

“Whiskey on the rocks and gin and tonic,” Byulyi replied with an equal smoothness in her voice and flashed her a grin. Yongsun just wanted to flick her stupid cap of her head, along with the head.

“And for you?”

A gun would be nice, or better yet, a machete.

“Orange juice,” she finally answered, angry that her words had an accent to them.

“With a double shot of vodka,” Byulyi added, and before Yongsun could even register what just happened the bartender went to prepare the drinks.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” She yelled no longer able to hold back her frustration.

“With me?” Byulyi looked at her innocently. “I’m perfectly fine, but you look like you need a shot or two. Seriously, why are you so tense?” She reached out to touch her but Yongsun slapped away her hand.

“Don’t. Touch me,” she seeped through her gritted teeth.    

“See? That’s what I’m talking about. Is it because of what happened during the training?”

Yongsun ignored the question, searching with her eyes for the bartender. Why the hell he is taking so long? If he doesn’t bring those damn drinks soon, I’ll start serving Bloody Moonbyul. The object of her violent thoughts suddenly appeared just inches away from her face.

“What the--?” Yongsun recoiled with a confused scowl, but Byulyi just kept staring at her as though she grew an additional head or something.

“She hasn’t injured your face.” The blonde pulled away. “Good, it would be a shame if something happened to such a pretty face,” she said, a cheeky grin playing on her lips.

Yongsun’s jaw slackened, eyes narrowing in bewilderment as she tried to comprehend why Byulyi’s words had a flirtatious quality to them.

“Sorry for the wait. Here are your drinks, ladies. ” The bartender slid three glasses onto the counter.

Byulyi gave him the money then took her drinks.

“By the way.” She leant forward to whisper into Yongsun’s ear. “Don’t get under my feet tomorrow and just let me score the goals, ‘kay?” Lips curving into a smirk as she took a sip of her whiskey and walked away, disappearing into the crowd.

Once the meaning of her words fully sank into Yongsun’s awestricken mind, she grabbed the glass with her drink, almost breaking it in her palm, and chugged down the sour-bitter liquid. Her face contorted with disgust. She hated vodka but not nearly as much as she hated Byulyi. Don’t get under my feet? Who the hell does she think she is? Does the bleach from her hair sank into her brain as well?

“Bummer, he’s taken,” Hyejin grouched as she appeared next to her out of nowhere. “Where are the drinks? And why do you look like you want to murder everyone around you?”

“Byulyi was here,” Yongsun muttered darkly, eyes still fixed on the spot where the blonde disappeared.  

“, seriously? Okay, get back to the lounge. I’ll take care of the drinks.”

Yongsun did as told and went back to her friends. Lifting her palm, she stopped Seulgi’s incoming questions and threw herself against the couch, folding arms at her chest. 

“Byulyi just asked me not to get in her way tomorrow so that she could score the goals,” she said with a sarcastic smile.

“Wait, what? Byulyi is here?”

She nodded to Wheein’s question.

“Is that the girl who provoked you?” Seulgi asked, eyebrows furrowing in a gesture of growing agitation. “Where is she?”

“Seulgi don’t.” Yongsun gave her a pointed look.

She knew that her friend was capable of throwing a punch or two into Byulyi’s face if she asked her to, but Yongsun would never stoop so low as to send her friends after the girl. It was a matter between her and Byulyi, and if anyone was to throw punches, it would be Yongsun herself. Not that she would really do that, but still.

“Fine.” Seulgi rolled her eyes. “Then let’s go and dance with me,” she said, reaching out her hands to Yongsun.

Yongsun’s gaze drifted to Joohyun who was sitting silently the whole time. Their eyes met for a split second before her friend looked away awkwardly. Yongsun wanted to propose her as the dance partner, but Seulgi already grabbed her hands.

“Come on, you need to loosen up a bit,” she said and that was how they ended up on a crowded dancefloor, full of sweaty people grinding against each other to the low R&B beats.

Seulgi wrapped her arm around Yongsun’s waist, pulling her flush against her body. Yongsun let out a quiet yelp of surprise, her body rigid as she stared incredulously at her friend who began doing the slow body waves.

“What the hell are you doing?”

“Dancing?”

“But why like that?” Yongsun muttered, heat rising to her cheeks as Seulgi slipped her leg in between hers.

It was awkward and sort of disturbing because Seulgi was like a sister to her and their embrace right now was anything but sisterly.

“Look, if that Byulyi sees that you have a girl, I bet she’ll back off from ya.” Seulgi’s breath tickled her ear, sending unpleasant shivers down her spine. She squirmed uncomfortably in her arms, keeping her hands on her shoulders to put at least minimum distance between them.

“No, Seulgi. I think you got the wrong idea. It’s not like she wants to seduce me.”

“Trust me, I know this type. She riles you up, worms her way into your head and before you know it, you can’t stop thinking about her and you’re done for. There’s a thin thread between love and hate, Yongie, or should I say, lust and hate.”

Yongsun pondered on her friend’s words while her hips fell unwittingly in sync with the music. Could that be Byulyi’s agenda? It seemed ridiculous that the girl would try such tricks on her, but at the same time, the actions Seulgi had described just now sounded eerily familiar to her.

“But I’d never become attracted to her,” she said with conviction, tightening her grip around Seulgi’s arms. “She’s not even my type.”

Her friend chuckled softly. “Then show her that you’re interested in someone else. Don’t give her any illusions.”

“But I’m not interested in you,” she muttered, nudging Seulgi’s leg away with her knee.

That one advice really hit the sore spot because Yongsun would be more than glad to show Byulyi that she was interested in someone else. The problem was that person liked her current sleazy dance partner! Who, by the way, was supposed to hate skinship!

“I’m just trying to help here.” Seulgi spun Yongsun around and another yelp slipped from her lips. “Look, she’s watching.” Gently tipping her chin upwards and to the right with her fingertips, the girl guided her look to the entresol that overlooked the dancefloor.

Yongsun could not see clearly because the lights in the club were dimmed but she did recognize the cap and the long blond hair that unmistakably belonged to Byulyi. She was leaning against the railing, and it indeed seemed as though she was staring their way. The temperature of her body rising rapidly, Yongsun swallowed hard and turned around to face Seulgi again. For some reason, the idea of Byulyi watching her as she danced intimately with another girl made her feel strangely… exposed.

“So who do you like?” Seulgi asked casually.

Yongsun had not realized when the song changed into a slow ballad and they began slowly, swaying in an embrace. Is she still watching? A thought flashed through her mind before her friend’s words reached her.

“A-h… um... no one really,” she replied, thankful that she could easily deflect her friend’s gaze. She could not say Joohyun because she promised to play the role of the matchmaker between her and Seulgi. Though, currently, she was failing miserably that part.

“We’re flatmates and best friends but we never talk about these things. Weird, huh?”

There was a hint of something in Seulgi’s voice that Yongsun could not define. It was not sadness, nor disappointment, maybe more like… regret?  She was not sure. But when she thought about her words she concluded that there was not anything to talk about to begin with. Yongsun’s last relationship ended three years ago and it was a total disaster, she never brought it up in their conversations. After that she was not attracted to anyone until Joohyun joined the team, but by the time she realized her feelings, her teammate had already developed a crush on Seulgi.

As for Seulgi herself, she liked plenty of girls, none of which Yongsun knew, and they were changing so fast that there was not much point in talking about them, except in a form of funny anecdotes. However, since the topic had been somewhat breached now, Yongsun saw this as her opportunity to push her agenda.

“Yeah, I guess it is a bit odd…” Yongsun’s voice trailed off as she wondered how to form her next question. “Well then, what do you think of Joohyun?”

Smooth. Real smooth Kim.

“Huh? Joohyun? She’s okay. Not really my type though.”

Yongsun tried not to be offended by the statement. After all, people had different tastes, right? Despite that, her immediate ‘why?’ did sound a bit defensive.

“She’s just way too uptight and serious for me.” Seulgi’s voice had that annoying amused lilt to it that made Yongsun want to step on her foot.

And she would actually do it if not for Hyejin who caught her attention as she made her way through the crowd to them.

“Yo, lovebirds,” she said, her palm landing heavily on Yongsun’s shoulder. “We’ve gotta a situation.”    

 

~~~

 

Kim Yongsun was an endless source of entertainment, Byulyi thought as she made her way back to her friends who were waiting for her in the entresol lounge. It was so damn easy to put the girl on edge, to make her squirm and blush in irritation, that Byulyi could not stop herself from pushing all the right, or wrong, buttons just to see those reactions so vividly displayed on her face.  

“Here’s your drink, Taeng.” She put the glass with gin and tonic on the table before their captain who was busy typing something on her phone.

“Thanks,” the girl said, not looking away from her phone.

Byulyi plopped on the couch next to Sooyoung. The goalkeeper was engaged in some animated discussion with Yuri about their upcoming match. The defender used to play for the Seoul United team but transferred last year. She was deemed as a traitor by the club’s supporters but her old teammates had no hard feelings toward her. They hang out whenever the national team assembled. Apparently, she was not so close to her new team, though she seemed to be good friends with their goalkeeper, Yoona.

Sipping her smoky sweet drink, Byulyi arched her eyebrow at the coquettish atmosphere that subtly coiled around the two old friends. She observed how Sooyoung slapped Yuri’s arm playfully, giggling at her jokes, how she would lean into her whenever the lightly tanned girl said something. It was the first time Byulyi saw Sooyoung acting like this around someone while Taeyeon was in such close vicinity. Usually, she was all emo, lost in her thoughts, awkward and unresponsive.

However, her behavior was not as surprising as Taeyeon’s who sat across them. Although she tried hard to be all secretive about it as she fumbled with her phone, Byulyi noticed her brief glances directed at the goalkeeper and the defender. On their own the glances could mean nothing, but each of them was followed by some nervous tick, for instance, Taeyeon would roll her tongue, bite the inside of her cheek or clear . And Byulyi could only conclude that their captain was feeling uncomfortable.

“I thought you didn’t like gin and tonic,” Sooyoung remarked offhandedly as there was a lull in her conversation with Yuri.     

Taeyeon brought the glass to her lips slowly, keeping her ex-girlfriend in an intense gaze-lock.  “It’s a matter of  an acquired taste, I guess,” she said and chugged her drink.

They stared at each other for a moment longer until Sooyoung turned around to Yuri and with a forced nonchalance in her tone, resumed their conversation. Byulyi let out a breath that she was not even aware of holding in. She felt as though she had been caught in a friendly fire and was kind of pissed at the two because she hoped to enjoy herself tonight. Perhaps, she should go and find Yongsun?

She grinned like a Cheshire cat at the idea.

“Byul!” A slightly disheveled and breathless Dahyun ran up to her, stopping right in front of her. “Your sweetheart is here,” she announced like it was some unbelievable, once in a life time occurrence.  

Byulyi snorted with laughter. She still could not get over the fact that Dahyun kept the joke going, calling Yongsun her sweetheart.

“I know. I talked to her.”.

“You did?” her friends said simultaneously, staring at her bewildered.  

“Yeah, we exchanged a few words,” she said, smile tugging at the corner of her lips as the encounter played out in her mind again.

“Byul, I want to win that match tomorrow.” Sooyoung squinted at her.

The striker held up her hands defensively, having no idea to what her friend was alluding. Well, okay, so maybe she had an idea, but it was just so freaking hard not to rile up that grumpy kitten.    

“Anyway, that’s not the point,” Dahyun interjected. “I think Yongsun is already taken.” She actually seemed to be saddened by the fact, and Byulyi was starting to believe that perhaps, her friend was not joking and she really believed that she was interested in Yongsun, which was ridiculous because as much as she enjoyed teasing the girl, she knew that in the long run her seriousness would drive her insane. Yongsun was good, but only in small doses.  

“Come on, they are dancing. You can see them from here.”

Byulyi rolled her eyes at her overdramatic friend. But to be perfectly honest, she was a bit curious as to how the girl with whom Yongsun was dancing looked like. She came up to the railing and looked toward the direction Dahyun was pointing. Yongsun was indeed dancing with some girl in a sleeveless t-shirt and a cap worn backwards. Byulyi could not see her face clearly but she was quite certain it was not anyone from Yongsun’s team as she recognized even their reserve players. The fact took her by surprise and what followed only further stupefied her.

Transfixed, Byulyi observed as Yongsun leaned back against the other girl, rolling her hips to the rhythm in a hypnotic manner. The first two buttons of her shirt were undone, exposing her neckline the moment she tipped her head backwards. Byulyi swallowed hard, knuckles turning white as she gripped the railing.

“You should go and win her over with your sick MoonStar moves,” Dahyun remarked dead serious. 

And for a split second Byulyi had actually considered the idea, but then she saw Hyejin coming up to the couple. She said something to them and they left the dancefloor.

“Aw, dammit! Too late.” Dahyun pouted as though someone had just taken away her favorite candy from her. 

Byulyi turned around and patted her friend’s arm. “It’s fine. I’ll have my dance tomorrow,” she said, lips spreading into a wide grin.

~~~

“Yongsshhun!” Joohyun drawled as she leapt into Yongsun’s arms almost toppling her.

Smelling alcohol on her friend’s breath, Yongsun instantly knew what had happened. She glared at Hyejin and Wheein over Joohyun’s shoulder.

“We gave her just two drinks since she looked pretty depressed after you left. We had no idea she had such low alcohol tolerance.” Wheein sounded genuinely guilty and after listening to her explanation, Yongsun felt the same way.

It was all her fault because she had not turned down Seulgi earlier and just let her drag her to the dancefloor while Joohyun was left sad and miserable.

“You meanie, you left usss!” Joohyun slapped her arm, making her wince in pain.

Apparently when drunk, Joohyun was not aware of her own strength. Yongsun did not mind though, since she deserved the slap anyway.

“You too, Sssheulgi.” Joohyun turned to the dumbstruck girl and snatched her cap. Sticking her tongue at her, she put it on. “Do I look pweety?” Invading Seulgi’s personal space, she fluttered her eyelids and pursed her lips.

Seulgi leant back visibly taken aback, perhaps even creeped out. Yongsun stifled a chuckle, remembering her friend’s words about Joohyun being too uptight. However, as much as she enjoyed that new side of Joohyun, her cute tipsy drawl, flushed cheeks and newfound boldness, she did not want her friend to do something that she would later regret and blame her for not stopping her.  

“Of course you are,” Yongsun replied since Seulgi seemed to have lost her ability to speak for the time being. “Now come on, we need to get back to the hotel.” She took Joohyun by her arm, glad that the girl did not protest, and together with their friends they headed for the entrance.

They hailed a taxi but Seulgi decided to wait for another one since her hotel was located in different part of the city. Yongsun did not think it was necessary but said nothing. They said their goodbyes and entered the car. They managed to get back to their hotel rooms without being noticed by their coach or anyone from their team.    

Yongsun let out a huff of relief once she laid Joohyun on her bed as for the past half an hour, the girl was hanging on her, dozing off on her shoulder. Not that she had something against it, but her shoulders and arms were starting to become sore.

The room was illuminated by moonlight that streamed through the parted curtains. It lit up Joohyun’s tranquil, sleeping face, and Yongsun felt a tiny tug at her heartstrings as she gazed at her friend. Sighing under her breath, she covered the girl with blanket and turned to head for the shower when she felt slender fingers wrapping around her wrist.

“Stay…”

A small breathless whisper, yet so firm and demanding that it send jolts of warmth through Yongsun’s body. She knew that she should not yield to it if she wanted to protect her heart, she even promised herself to keep her distance, but at same time, she had no idea how to say no to it. And so she lay down on the bed next to Joohyun who wrapped her arms around her, putting her head on her shoulder. Hesitantly, Yongsun’s arms also found their way around the girl’s slim waist. She wondered whether the girl could hear her pounding heart.

“She doesn’t like me, right?”

Each word spoken in that small broken voice was like a stab to Yonsgun’s heart.

“She likes you,” she replied truthfully, tears pooling in her eyes.

“But not like that…”

“Maybe…” she paused, trying to stop her voice from quivering. “Maybe if she got to know you better…”

“Maybe...” Joohyun echoed with a note of misery in her voice. “Let’s go to sleep, we have a match tomorrow to play.” She let go of Yongsun and turned around, drifting off to sleep.

Yongsun lay down on the bed for a minute or two, tears streaming down her face as she missed Joohyun’s warmth. When she finally got up, she went to take a quick shower before she lay down in her own bed and closed her eyes.

Joohyun was right, they had a match to play tomorrow.

 

TBC

 

A/N:  Next week the match chapter and more MoonSun. And in two weeks time we're kicking off the Asian Cup tournament! So stay tuned and don't forget to let me know what to do you think about the new chapter! :D Thank you for all your comments and support! I really appreciate it!