One

Reflections
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

If I began to tell you about my family, it would be short, simple and to the point. My father is a wealthy and successful business man, no worry in his eyes. My mother is his loving wife, his high school sweetheart, who will always be by his side through thick and thin. My brother is the perfect son, acing all his tests, amazingly good at sports, caring and good looking. We were the perfect family.

But that’s just all a lie.

And I’m not here to tell you any of my lies.

If you opened your eyes, you’d see.

My father’s rich but he’s not happy being married to my mother. He comes home late every night. Some nights, he doesn’t come home at all, claiming he has a lot of work untouched. But we all know what he’s always up to, or rather, who he’s with.  My mother’s not his high school sweetheart, she was in love with another man. She drinks her nights away when she thinks there’s no one there to watch her. She never remembers what happens when she wakes up the next morning. And my brother? Behind those kind words and generous acts, lies nothing but venom and empty promises. My brother doesn’t even care about his own life, how could he possibly care about others? He was young when he began to do drugs, I still remember when my parents first caught him. They worried about their pride more than their son, so they kept it on the low, making sure to do everything in their power not to get him caught anywhere. That’s why they made his image like that. They made his image the perfect kid...’

Even though he was far from that…

 

Our whole society was like that. Everyone we knew were all fake smiles and mindless compliments. No one cared about anyone. It was all about greed, fame, wealth, and power. That’s how I was raised. Into that kind of mindset. Where no matter how messed up you were on the inside, you were to always remain perfect on the outside.


 

“Mom!” The scent that came from the room made me hold my breath, it was horrid. “Mom, wake up! It’s already morning, I’m going to school.”

I watched as she turned to her side, as if my words didn’t even bother to reach her ear. I still don’t know why I always have to tell her when I’m leaving for school. It was always a habit. I hate to break habits.

I sighed as I stepped out of her room and into the grand hallway, some of the maids stared at me like they always did as I walked through the marble floors, maintaining my stare. The air in our household was even worse. Disgusting. It was tight and heavy, as if someone were strangling you while you breathed in. I hated it.

My brother’s room was shut as always, while my father’s room remained empty.

Walking out, the breeze brushed through my hair, as if telling me it was alright. No it’s not.

“Taking the car today, miss?”  Mr. Seon, one of our drivers, asked.

“Yes.” Was all I mumbled before getting into the backseat.

 

I hate school.

Not because it’s school. No, I hate it because I’m labeled here. The school I go to is one of the most prestigious ones in Seoul. Only children of the rich and famous attend. Children like me. Mother’s and Father’s being politicians, businessmen, idols, and such. We’re labeled as the children of such society. A sad society.

“Rae!”

I hate my ‘friends’ too.

“Rae! What’s up?” Sera came skipping towards me, her strawberry blonde hair dancing in loose curls.

But Sera was the only tolerable one…

 

I smiled brightly, but not too bright. “Nothing, just dreading school.”

She hooked her arm through mine as we began walking through the halls, girls and boys eyeing us.

I was known, here.

Which was one reason why these fake people all sweet talk me….

My uncle owned this school.

“Anyways, did you hear the new gossip between Jia and Sunmin?” She rambled on, and at that very moment, I blocked her out, caring very less of what she could possibly say.

I sighed before coming to my locker, placing my books in and out of my bag.

“And then there’s Oh Sehun, who’s coming to town.”

I raised my eyebrow, that name sounded familiar. “Oh...Sehun?”

“Remember? World genius? Playboy image? Total hottie?” Sera flipped her hair, blinking her long false eyelashes. “He’s on like every cover of magazines and who doesn’t talk about him?”

“He’s like twenty-two and done with college, the guy’s a world sensational genius, what the hell is he going to do coming here?” I muttere

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter