Final

Smile For Me

Have you ever felt so dumb in some circumstances like when life is obviously being unfair, yet you still find it as fair as your skin. Like when there is no other choice but to cry, yet you find yourself laughing like a hopeless idiot. And like when the whole world gave you all the reasons to be devastated, yet you still find that courage to be calm like nothing happened at all.

 

If you think you already know the true meaning of Love. Better think again. For I just realized what it really means the moment I became dumb. Dumb for her. Dumb for Tiffany Hwang.

 

 

"Yuri-yah." She called out while running her way to my direction. I promptly closed the book I was reading when I noticed her presence.

 

"Yes, Fany?" I turned to her smiling. It was a genuine smile. It has always been genuine ever since, and will always be genuine as long as it is for her.

 

"Have you heard the gossips about Taeyeon's suitor? Damn. I can't believe that Bacon guy has the spirit to woo my Taetae." She blurted out the moment she sat beside me. Contrasting to the smile I gave her, she was frowning as her eyebrows crossed due to exasperation.

 

She always has this expression when somebody's trying to court Taeyeon. Or when Taeyeon's dating someone.

Her Taeyeon, as she proclaimed. The Taeyeon whom she insanely love.

 

"It's Baekhyun, Tiff. Not Bacon." I chuckled softly at her silliness.

 

Sure she was jealous, because of somebody else. But that did not make me any wearier. I know I should be hurting now seeing her all frustrated because of the one she loves. But I can't feel bad for my own heartbreak. I can't even frown nor pout. Tiffany is much precious than this pathetic feelings of mine.

 

"I don't ing care about his name. May it be Bacon, may it be Ham. I just .. I just .. I want him out of my Taetae's life." She blurted out once again. But I shrugged it off. Patting her head, I mumbled.

 

"You don't have to be upset about them. You still have me. You know I love you, right?"

 

Those three words. I guess confessing to her has been my hobby as I was consistently telling her that I love her, hoping that she will respond positively. But as usual, she will just roll her eyes and answer, "Whatever, Kwon."

 

I love her. I love Tiffany Hwang with all my heart. But just like those stories I've read, people having mutual feelings were very rare nowadays. And I am glad I am already used to it. I am used to rejection.

 

Tiffany loves Taeyeon. The entire planet knows that. But just like my situation, it was one sided. Taeyeon may not seem to notice Tiffany, and so the younger girl always end up hurting. Her smiles were vanishing like she doesn't know how to do it at all. And that was the most devastating sight I could not afford to see.

 

If I could just trade everything I have just to see her smile, I would rather be nothing. For her happiness is everything I know I could live for the rest of my life.

 

 

"What are we gonna talk about, Yuri-ssi?" Baekhyun asked as we stood together infront of the university garden.

 

I texted him, with the help of my friend who gave me his number, to meet me after class for I have an important thing to tell him. Fortunately, he took my invitation and agreed to meet me.

 

Smiling warmly, I uttered, "Please stop courting Taeyeon."

 

His head flicked automatically at my demand. Like he was totally shocked on why on earth was I asking him to ditch Taeyeon. And to much surprise, he was not able to respond. So I continued as I thought I should.

 

"I heard you and your group will be joining the dance competition this weekend. And I also heard how you badly want to win. Just so you know, I will be one of the judges on that event." I stated, confusing him more.

 

"And what are you really trying to say, Yuri-ssi?" He exasperatingly questioned.

 

"I am assuring you your win. And all the upcoming competitions will be yours. Just .. just leave Taeyeon. Stop courting her."

 

 

And that was when my dumbness started. That was when I decided to dig a deep hole on the ground, burying my heart and my sanity together. Most importantly, that was when I realized that love doesn't require those two. Because I cannot bury my love even if my heart and my sanity already rested in peace.

 

Life is indeed unfair, and fair at the same time. How blissful Tiffany was when she heard that Baekhyun stopped wooing Taeyeon. How her eyes formed into beautiful crescent shape knowing that she still has the chance to be with Taeyeon. And how those smiles of her could make me want to thank life for its fairness.

 

If dumbness means wanting happiness for the person I love, then yes, I am dumb.

 

 

 

"Taeyeon, please. I will never ask anything from you again. Just this one. Just .. this one." I pathetically pleaded as I was standing infront of Taeyeon. I know the possibility of being rejected was very high. But I took the risk and held on to the only thing I know I have.

 

"But, Yul .." Taeyeon hesitated. I can see by the look on her face how downhearted she was for me. I guess I should thank her. For there is no way I could be downhearted like that for myself.

 

"Please .. date Tiffany. Love her just like how she wholeheartedly loves you. Make her yours just like how she wanted you to do so. Tae .. please .."

 

 

There comes a time when life leaves us no other choice but to cry. When all it wanted was for us to break down miserably. But how could I ever do that after seeing how delightful Tiffany was. How she would tell me how lucky she was when Taeyeon started dating her. How extremely inlove she was with the girl.

 

I did not shed any single drop of tear, for I know crying was like betraying Tiffany's happiness. I want to smile as she smiles. I want to laugh as she laughs. Who cares about heartbreaks? Being happier for her was all I could ever be.

 

 

I thought Tiffany's smiles would last atleast forever. But not until something unexpected happened.

 

Taeyeon got into trouble, being indicted by a merciless gang for something nobody knows she did. I was passing by when I saw them.

 

"Speak up kid. We definitely know you were the one who called the cops. Trying to mess up with us, huh?" One member of the gang spoke.

 

There were five men surrounding Taeyeon as she was kneeling infront of a tall man ,probably the leader. A handgun was aiming at her temple, ready to shoot its way to her skull.

 

"I .. I .. Please, don't kill me. H-Have mercy." Taeyeon was literally shaking because of extreme fear, and tears were streaming down her face uncontrollably.

But that was not the sight that struck me. It was the girl hiding behind a wall few blocks away from Taeyeon and the men's location. Her eyes were red and puffy, indicating that she has been crying for so long now. My heart twitched at that very moment. It was like my mind stopped functioning as I was watching her tears fall down her beautiful face.

 

Not being able to contain my emotion anymore, I rushed towards her and hugged her as tight as I could. She was slightly taken aback, but nonetheless hugged me back.

"Y-Yul .. They will .. T-They will kill Taeyeon. They will kill .. h-her." Tiffany managed to speak between her sobs. Her arms that were wrapping my waist were trembling. And the feeling of it was making me wimp.

 

I hugged her tighter. I know my tears will start to fall anytime but I was struggling hard to prevent it. I need to do something. But I do not know what to do. I can't just let her break down like this. I had given everything just to make her smile, but this circumstance was crashing it all down.

 

Until she spoke again, saying those words that prompted me to move. And that was when I realized how dumb I was. I never really thought I could be this dumb. So damn dumb that I easily decided what to do the moment she said, "I love her, Yul. I love Taeyeon so much."

 

I cupped her cheeks and made her face me so that I was looking directly into her eyes. Her eyes which never fail to fascinate me. God knows how much I wanted to see those eyesmiles again. And so I needed to be dumb for the last time to save her happiness. This will be the last. I promised.

 

"She's not gonna die, Fany. She's not gonna die." I uttered sincerely as I was still caressing her face.

 

"But .. those guys are merciless. There is no way they would let Taeyeon escape." Hint of confusion crossed her. But her tone was somehow hoping that I am right.

 

"Just promise me that you'll smile for me no matter what." My words confused her more .But there is no time left to explain. "Just please, promise me."

 

She didn't understand a thing. But nevertheless nodded her head to approve. I kissed her forehead sweetly and gave her my warmest smile.

 

"I love you." Was all I could say as I turned my back to do the thing I know was right.

 

I headed to the gang's direction and startled them with my presence. Taeyeon was utterly shocked when she saw me. Her expression was telling me to back off, to save my life until I could. But that was very contrary to what I was thinking. Turning my gaze to the leader, I demanded,

 

"Let go of her. I was the one who called the cops. She was innocent. Let her go."

 

The guys were surprised at my sudden revelation. But the idiots they were, they easily believed me. "So you are that ing meddler, huh. Prepare to die." The leader blurted. But I didn't pay attention.

 

I signaled Taeyeon to run. She was hesitating at first, but then followed my command and stood up. Passing by me slowly, I whispered,

 

"Please take care of Tiffany. She needed you like she never needed someone before. Love her, and always make her smile." Then I pushed her to run away.

 

 

There comes a time when the world would give you all the reasons to be devastated. When you would just want to scream and cry your heart out. But I was a dumb indeed. So much dumbness that I had given all of me just to have her smile back. I am not her happiness. And never will I be.

 

 

Unfortunately, I would not have the chance to see how her eyes would form into those crescent shape again. I would not have the chance to see how her lips would curve upward to show her warm smile again. I would never have the chance to see her anymore. Because I chose to be dumb. All for her.

 

 

Shutting my eyes close, a small tear managed to escape. That was all I ever waited before a loud explosion echoed through my temples. That was all I could ever do for the only girl I love.

 

 

Lying lifelessly on the ground, I was happy.

 

 

So smile for me, Tiffany. Smile for me.