Bliss

Love of my Life

Woohyun's apartment was always warm. Huddled on the sofa as he watched Woohyun clatter about in the little open plan kitchen, Sunggyu told himself that was the reason he had been spending more time here than at his own place in recent weeks. But as Woohyun dropped the tin that held the teabags, making a little yelping sound of shock and then giving Sunggyu a sheepish look, he realised that maybe that wasn't the only reason. 

Maybe he was falling in love

Nam Woohyun was everything Sunggyu would usually avoid in a friend, least of all in a lover; he was brash, cocky, over confident, foolish and loud. But he was also soft, kind, clever and thoughtful. All things Sunggyu had slowly discovered when they'd begun working together two years before. At first he couldn't stand the fact they'd been partnered together. How was he supposed to work with this idiot of a guy, who would stop to talk to every ahjumma they walked by in the street on patrol? 

When he heard that Woohyun was applying to become a Detective Inspector like Sunggyu was, he'd had a tantrum on his best friend Dongwoo's couch, complaining over and over about how stupid and annoying Woohyun was, how he always made a mess in the patrol car with his obsession for chewing gum. Dongwoo had just laughed, patting Sunggyu on the head and telling him it was pretty cute how besotted he was with Officer Nam. 

That night, lying in bed unable to sleep, Sunggyu thought and thought and over-thought about what Dongwoo had said, and when he traipsed into work the next morning looking like the living dead, and Woohyun put his favourite coffee (a flat white with one sugar) in front of him, it all clicked into place. He liked Woohyun. He really liked him. 

It seemed to happen quickly from there, and easily - so easily that sometimes Sunggyu felt like he needed to pinch himself just to ensure it was all real.

Their first date wasn't technically a date, but more of a last minute meal after a long shift together. Sunggyu paid. Woohyun hugged him when they parted. 

Their first kiss happened awkwardly (as many often do) at Sunggyu's apartment after they'd been going over Woohyun's application for the detective position together. They were sat side-by-side on the sofa, and when Sunggyu turned to tell Woohyun that it looked pretty good to him, he was surprised by the other's hesitant lips pressed to his, and he felt hot and cold all at once, but mostly pleased. 

They didn't tell anyone but Dongwoo, and kept it a secret at work. Dates would be covered up as 'discussing work'. They'd drive to secluded parks and kiss in the passenger seat until their lips were bruised and they were flushed red, clothes disheveled and hair a mess. 

Sunggyu felt like when he was with Woohyun, he had everything he could ever really want. His heart soared. If anyone cared to ask him if "Are you happy?", he'd have answered "Completely." and it would be the truth. 

So maybe he was falling in love. But that was okay.

Woohyun finished making the tea, hurriedly coming over to take his place on the couch next to Sunggyu, the steaming mismatched mugs on the coffee table in front of them. Grabbing the remote, he flicked to the right channel and then got comfy, letting Sunggyu put an arm around his shoulders. As the opening titles for the movie they were watching started up, Sunggyu suddenly felt an ache in his chest that he couldn't explain. His throat felt tight and all he wanted to do was bury his face in Woohyun's neck to disguise the fact that he was blushing for some reason. Instead he made do with pressing his lips softly to Woohyun's temple and smiling when he was pushed away gently. Woohyun always insisted on no distractions when he was watching a movie, and that meant: no kissing, no touching, no eating and definitely no talking. Unless he wanted to do any of those things, in which case the rules went right out the window. 

Sunggyu fell asleep before the credits rolled (just like always) and he woke up to find Woohyun trying to untangle himself from his grip. He held on tighter and pulled him closer and Woohyun gave in, finding himself cradled against Sunggyu's chest, able to hear his heart beating beneath his ribcage. These were the times when Sunggyu would be soft, when he was half asleep and comfortable. These were the times he would be warm, when he would be clingy, and Woohyun would let him. 

Sunggyu wasn't sure what made him say what he did just then, but the moment seemed right and he thought he might understand why his chest felt so tight before.

"I love you." He whispered, and Woohyun froze before wriggling to sit up and look at him.

"I know you do." He responded, giving him that annoyingly perfect smile of his, "I love you too." 

And so Kim Sunggyu and Nam Woohyun were in love. And that was okay.