Chapter 3 - Closer

The Sweetest Thing
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They walked through the park together, watching as parents chased after their children and laughter filled the air. Baekyun was right - it was a really nice day out, and Kyungsoo couldn't remember the last time he went out to the park just to relax and take a nice slow walk like this. He looked to his right where Baekhyun was. 

"Do you like it here?" he asked tentatively. He watched as Baekhyun took a deep breath of air before turning towards him. 

"Yeah. I do. I used to love going to the park back in the States too. It just feels so nice to take a break from all the flashing lights and whatnot and to relax in the sun every once in a while." He smiled at Kyungsoo. "You don't come here often, do you?" 

"No, not really. I don't know why I never thought to come here though. You're right. It is relaxing," he admitted. It was true, after all. They strolled together for a few more minutes until he felt Baekhyun shivering next to him. "You're cold?"

"Yeah, a little bit, I guess," he replied. "I should have grabbed a jacket or something." 

"Do you want to go back now?" 

"Naaah, it's not so bad! Besides, we'll be fine if we run a little." He turned to Kyungsoo mischievously, before suddenly tapping him on the arm. "Tag!" 

What.

Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun ran off like a maniac, unable to comprehend what had just happened. "Hey!" he called out after him, before chasing after the overactive puppy. Was he really doing this? Really? How old were they? Tag??

Laughing regardless, he raced towards Baekhyun's shrinking figure until he was just behind him. Baekhyun shrieked playfully when he looked behind him only to see Kyungsoo hot on his trail. "How did you get here so fast?" 

"I'm out of practice, Baek, but I'm not gonna let you outrun me!" Kyungsoo declared. In no time at all, he found himself within arm's length of the other boy. He dipped forward, grabbing at Baekhyun, and forcing him to a stop. Both boys laughed as Kyungsoo tightened his arms around Baekhyun. "Got you." 

"Aww, man, for someone who's stuck in meetings all the time, you run too fast!" he complained. 

"I may not go to the park all the time, Baek, but there is something called the gym, you know," Kyungsoo teased. He slowly released Baekhyun from his grip. "You all warmed up now? Or are you up for more ga- Hey!" He'd hardly finished his sentence before Baekhyun had broken off into a sprint again. The things I do, Kyungsoo thought to himself as he followed. 

~

"If we go to the park often enough, I don't think I'm ever going to see my treadmill ever again," Kyungsoo huffed as the two strolled to Baekhyun's front door. The afternoon had been spent running around, mostly Kyungsoo chasing after Baekhyun, with the exception of the few times Baekhyun had startled Kyungsoo into running instead. "I'm not even sure what we just did, to be honest," Kyungsoo sighed. He wondered what the other people thought of them, seeing two adult men chasing each other in the grass. 

"Well whatever it was, it was fun, wasn't it? Give me a call if your meetings ever bore you, and I'll let you chase me again," Baekhyun teased, grinning. He spun around to face Kyungsoo. 

"I'll give it some thought." Kyungsoo laughed. He then paused and scratched the back of his neck. "Well, here we are." At these words, Baekhyun looked up to see his grand entrance. It was time for a goodbye. He glanced back at Kyungsoo. 

"You don't want to come inside?" he asked. 

"Probably not today, I have some work I have to get back to," Kyungsoo stated simply, already turning away. "Goodnight, Baekhyun." As soon as Kyungsoo turned in his spot, he smirked. If anything, this afternoon was several steps forward towards his goal. He walked slowly, knowing there really was no rush to go back home, especially since-

"Wait, Kyungsoo!" 

Bingo.

He halted in his steps and turned back around to face Baekhyun, who almost looked unsure as to why he had called Kyungsoo back. Kyungsoo watched as the other boy fidgeted in place a little before calling out to him again. "Do you want to come over for dinner tomorrow?" 

Kyungsoo gave it some thought before replying, "I don't think I can. I've got something scheduled for tomorrow night. I'm sorry." He watched with hidden amusement for a few seconds as Baekhyun's face noticeably fell before quickly adding on, "But I'm free the next night? Maybe then?" At these words, Baekhyun looked up at Kyungsoo with a beaming grin. 

"Yeah, I'll see you the night after tomorrow, then..." he repeated shyly. "Goodnight, Kyungsoo." He turned to enter his home. 

Kyungsoo watched as Baekhyun stepped past the threshold and turned again to shut the doors. Shooting one last smile at him once he caught the other's eyes, he spun back around to return to his parked car. He looked forward to the day after tomorrow,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter