Episode 02

The Grey (더 그레이)

"Wait, is this a prank or something? Where are the cameras?" I ask suspiciously.

"Lemego!" The boy whose cheeks I'm currently squeezing growls.

Oops.

"Sorry." I let go and the boy rubs his jaw, grimacing.

"It's not a prank. It's a serious matter, and we really need to see the tattoo." The teacher says patiently.

"My... tattoo?" I squint, trying to figure out if they're serious.

"Yeah. You have one, right? You have to have one. How else would you have blocked my powers?" The student mutters to himself.

"Kook, where'd you find the Ignore anyway? I searched for 6 years and I found one. You search for a day and you land yourself with an Ignore." The boy scowls at the student.

"Just luck, I guess. We still need to find three more, anyway." The student rubs his neck sheepishly.

I have no idea what they're talking about.

"Ignore, show us your shoulder! We need proof that you're a Ignore!" The boy glares at me.

I take a step backwards.

"I... I have a tattoo, but it's one I got with my family."

The teacher looks at me encouragingly, so I slowly my jacket to show them my tattoo.

I guess I took too long, because the boy huffs and pulls down the neckline of his shirt.

He has one.

It's right there, on his shoulder.

"Do you have this or not?" He questions impatiently.

Everyone looks at me expectantly.

"I... I have the same tattoo... But I don't understand, my whole family-"

The student cuts me off. "That's not a tattoo, that's a birthmark. See, we have it too."

The student pulls up his uniform sleeve, and the teacher pulls down the collar of his button up shirt.

They have the tattoo.

"We're not bad people. We're the same as you, so stop pushing us away and show us your tattoo. We need you." The teacher urges me on.

I don't reply, so he continues.

"I know it's hard to believe. You're an Ignore, so you wouldn't have had a chance to use your Grant."

"...Grants?"

"Grants are what we call your powers. We've been travelling from New York to Korea to find all the Korean Greys."

I swallow and pull off the band-aid on my arm.

They all stare.

The boy breaks the silence by screeching and hugging the student next to him.

"Yes! Only three more to find!"

The student scrunches up his nose. "Only? That's a lot."

The boy deflates. "True..."

The teacher motions at us to follow him. "Come on, let's go someplace we can sit and discuss."

When the others turn and start walking, I run the other direction.

Sorry, but I'm not trusting a bunch of psycos.

There are no powers, no Greys, that doesn't make sense.

I refuse to believe in fiction.

Out of breath, I turn around and almost scream.

The boy's right behind me.

"Holy crap!"

I try to run, but my body won't cooporate.

"Why can't I move?"

I'm hysterical now. I look down and see him stepping on my shadow.

"Wh... I thought you were a Ignore!" He stares at me.

"It's because she hasn't used her Grant frequently." The teacher pants out as he catches up to us.

I can't move. I want to move, but I can't. This doesn't make sense.

Suddenly, the boy takes a marker out of his pocket and starts writing on my shadow.

"What? Stand for 20 min.?"

The boy shrugs. "I'm hungry, and this is the only way to make you wait."

He saunters away and into the coffee shop.

The teacher shrugs apologetically. "We'll only take 20 minutes."

 


 

"I can't trust you. I mean, this is 2016. How could I trust you?" I exclaim.

"Think about this. We used to live with no electricity and no phones. Now we have airplanes and hoverboards. Who's to say no one has powers?" The boy argues.

"Okay, so I believe you. But... It doesn't make sense!"

"Well, too bad, because you have to come with us."

"Wait, what?"

"To New York. We need you for our freedom."

 


 

"There's a school called The Granted in upstate New York. About 80 kids with Grants live there."

"Wow."

"You know, humans have powers too, called instincts."

"Oh, yeah! My friend told me about that."

"Instincts use up 1 percent of your brain. Us Greys use the full 100 percent, and that's where the powers come from."

"So if normal people use a 100 percent of their brains..."

"They could use their Grants. See, you're learning already."

I shake my head and snap out of it. "I'm still not convinced."

The teacher sighs. "Your mother's name is Park Sun Young, correct? 43 years old?"

My eyes widen. "How'd-"

"We only know The Grey's names and ages. You have no idea how hard it is to find one Grey. We need you to cooperate with us."

"How do you want me to cooperate?"

"I told you. You need to come to New York with us." The student rolls his eyes.

"But why?"

"Because two of the people in the Specials, namely our classmates, escaped from The Granted. We need to find them."

"What are the Specials?"

"The Specials are a class of people with more than two Grants."

"More than two?"

"Yeah. But your Grant is special 'cause only you have the Ignore ability. We have two abilities, so we're all in the Specials."

"Special...?"

The boy speaks up. "Yeah, I have Shadow Control and Memory Copy."

"So you can control shadows and memorize stuff... What's your name again?"

"I'm Min Yoongi. 19 years old. I'm 6th level in The Granted."

The student speaks up. "I'm Jeon Jungkook. 18 years old. I'm 5th level in The Granted. My Grants are Telekenisis and Memory Erasure."

I turn to the teacher and raise an eyebrow questioningly.

He sighs.

"My name's Kim Namjoon. I'm the mentor for Jungkook, and I'm in 6th level in The Granted. And my grant..."

He pauses, and Jungkook giggles and speaks up.

"His Grants are Cat and Spirit Moving."

"What?"

Yoongi looks like he's trying not to laugh and further explains.

"He can transfer his spririt into different objects and he can gain the abilities of a cat, but can't turn into one."

I giggle.

"How do you even end up with such stupid Grants, anyway?" Yoongi smirks.

Namjoon doesn't laugh.

Jungkook and Yoongi shut up pretty quickly.

Namjoon clears his throat. "I'm in the Specials too, and I'm like the leader of the whole group of Specials."

"Oh... But why are you trying to get all the Greys together?" I ask, confused.

"We promised the government. We needed to find 4 Specials, and now that we have you, we only need to find 3 more. There's another troublemaker that's out sick, and he's resting in The Granted. His name's Kim Taehyung."

"What do you get in return?"

"Freedom. The government promised the Specials freedom if we could gather all of us together."

"Only the Specials?"

"Think about it. Three normal Greys have 3 Grants alltogether. 3 Special Greys have 6 Grants. We're fascinating, as well as dangerous."

"Oh."

"And if you enter The Granted, you can't leave. If you escape and get caught, you're confined for 3 days."

"Confined?"

"Specials don't get confined, because, well, we're special." Yoongi reassures.

"That's why our classmates escaped, because they can't get confined anyway." Jungkook adds.

"And also why you escaped, correct?" Namjoon raises an eyebrow.

Jungkook laughs sheepishly. "We should get going. We need to get your passport and leave."

My eyes widen in surprise. "Already? But..."

"If the Korean government finds out where you live, they'll murder you. Of course, in the news it'll be sent out as a suicide." Namjoon states grimly.

 


 

"Before we leave, we need to do some crap first, thanks to this idiot." Namjoon glares at Jungkook.

"I forgot that I was levitating a trashcan in public! Mistake anyone could make! Sheesh!" Jungkook scowls.

Namjoon touches his ear. "Sshhh..."

I turn to Yoongi questioningly.

"If he touches his ear, he can use his Cat Grant." He explains.

"They're coming!" Namjoon hisses.

We turn and see two security guards heading towards us.

"What do we do?" I ask, nervous.

Jungkook holds up a finger towards me and takes chewed up gum out of his mouth.

"Ew."

He glares at me and levitates the chewing gum onto the security camera lens.

As soon as he does that, Namjoon runs past the security guards, and Yoongi heads towards them slowly.

"Open the exit door." He calls to me.

I open the door, and light floods in, casting shadows behind the security guards.

"Bingo." Yoongi smirks as he steps on the two guards' shadows as they turn to catch him.

They can't move.

"What-" The guards are confused.

Jungkook grins and steps up to the guards.

"Bibbidi bobbidi boo!" He sings as he touches each of their noses.

Yoongi steps off of their shadows.

The guards blink and ask us why we're here.

"We... Chinese. No speak Korean. Bathroom?" Yoongi acts.

The guards grin and direct us towards the bathroom.

We pretend to go to the bathroom, but exit the building as soon as the guards aren't looking.

"What about Namjoon?" I ask, worried.

"He's probably outside already, after deleting the security videos." Jungkook shrugs.


Mom finally tells me the truth after I bring The Greys into our house.
Dad was a human.

He found out mom was a Grey and tattooed himself so they could trick me.

My mom told me to leave to New York.

I'd be safe there.

So I left the house.

Packed all my bags.

But I don't want to leave.

And that's what I tell the guys.

And that's where we blow up.


We start screaming at each other, me and Yoongi.

"I can't leave my mom alone! You said she's in danger. The government might kill her!"

"You think I felt good leaving my family? I'm human too!"

Jungkook comes between us.

"Jieun, I understand that you don't want to leave. But think about what it's worth. Freedom. Safety."

Namjoon adds. "We're the same, Jieun. We don't want to go to The Granted, but we can't help it. Our Grants can't be controlled."

"...But..."

"I know it's hard, Jieun. But my mom's waiting for me in Korea, too. I don't even know if she's alive, because we're not allowed to be in contact with the outside world. I want my freedom, and I need you to gain that." Yoongi says quietly.

"C'mon, Jieun. All I need is freedom, since the government killed my family. But Yoongi hyung needs his family." Jungkook pleads.

Damn it.

I motion for everyone to get into the car.

I climb in after them.

Just as we're about to leave, someone knocks on the window.

It's Baekhyun.

I roll the window down.

"Dude, here's the money I owe you! I can't come to school tomorrow, okay? Text me!" He waves, and the car starts moving.

I lean back in my seat.

"Why don't you say bye?" Jungkook asks me.

"If you know it's the last time, it hurts to say goodbye." Namjoon smiles sadly.

"You're so cheesy." Jungkook makes a face.

"Screw you." Namjoon grins.

"Three more to go!" Yoongi fist pumps.

"Back to school then?" Namjoon scowls.

"Ew." Jungkook grunts.

"Ugh." Yoongi whines.

I look back, through the window.

Baek's still standing there, staring.

Bye, Byun Baekhyun.

Take care of my mom for me.

Bye, mom.

Stay safe.







YAYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! XD

SECOND CHAPTERRRRRRRR <3

IF YOU HAVE QUESTIONS, LEAVE THEM IN THE COMMENTS!

COMMENTS ARE LOVEEEEEEEE

COMMENT AND SUBSCRIBE! :)

-xoxo, theprincess0619-