Vampire and Lycan: Under Your Spell

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Aka: The 6 times vampire Donghyuk brushed his fingers through lycan June's hair... somewhere.

So, yes. I decided to do a follow-up for last update's JunDong vampire and lycan AU. Main culprit is Nhim2826 for giving me the idea ♥. And special mention to the one who kept pestering me at work since yesterday to continue the AU. You know who you are. :)))

I'm happy I did this though. I see that some of you wants to have a longer version of it too so, here it is! You can consider this as a sort-of sequel! :D

 


 

 

1.

 

Junhwe ignores Yunhyeong’s call for him to wait, transforming immediately to his wolf form and dashing through the gated forest of the vampire and lycan borders. He easily slips through the trees, moving so fast his ebony colored fur appears all but a second of blur in the security cameras.

 

He only slows down when he reaches the outskirts of the East Duke’s estate, where the secret passageway Donghyuk told him about is located. He stealthily enters it, paws light and silent on the pavement and even after he reaches the soft ground of the isolated garden. Immediately, the scent of flowers consumes his senses but Junhwe knows it’s not from the flowers themselves.

 

His vampire is sitting underneath the largest tree. The tree is large enough to protect Donghyuk from the sun so it’s his favorite place to read books. Junhwe approaches carefully, tail in a relaxed state before wagging excitedly when Donghyuk finally notices him. Donghyuk closes his book and opens his arms. Junhwe jumps and lands gently beside him.

 

“June! I didn’t know you’ll come!”

 

Donghyuk’s smile is brighter than even the sun. Junhwe takes pride that he’s the one putting that on the vampire’s face. He gently Donghyuk’s cheek and feels happy when he laughs and nuzzles his face on his fur. Donghyuk once told him that he loves how soft and shiny his black fur is.

 

Usually he transforms back to his human form but for now, Junhwe stays as a wolf. He rests his head on Donghyuk’s lap and wraps his tail protectively around Donghyuk’s waist. He softly growls in satisfaction, almost like a purr, as his mate tenderly runs his hand on his fur from his neck to his back. But what Junhwe likes even more is when Donghyuk pats his head, his icy but pretty fingers brushing through the strands of his fur on his head, while they enjoy each other’s company.

 

 

 

 

 

2.


The booming voices of his lycan and the chief of the West send tremors through Donghyuk’s body.

 

“This nonsense should stop! I don’t care that you think Lord Donghyuk is your mate!”

 

“It’s not just a thought! Donghyuk’s really my mate! The flowers are on him!”

 

“You’re just making excuses!”

 

“I’m serious father! You should know! Of all people, you should be the one to understand the most!”

 

“I want to but I can’t! It’s preposterous for a lycan to have a blood- abomination like him as a mate!”

 

Donghyuk’s whole body stiffens, the immediate reaction of anger from being insulted forming inside him. Yet he resists because the man is Junhwe’s father and he can understand the reasons for the disapproval.

 

But Junhwe is furious. He growls harshly, demanding his father to not insult him and take back his words. Donghyuk gasps when he feels Junhwe start to transform. That shouldn’t happen. If Junhwe succumbs to anger it could be taken as a sign of violent rebellion against the leader of his pack. Junhwe’s father is already in a stance too, ready to transform in response.

 

In desperation, Donghyuk shouts out his lycan’s name. From the corner of his eyes, he sees the West chief flinch in shock.

 

“It’s alright. It doesn’t bother me.” he says to Junhwe as reassuringly as possible. He cups Junhwe’s face and meet his eyes. “Please calm down June. It’s okay. Don’t disrespect your father.”

 

Junhwe stares down at him, breath heaving with a low growl escaping from between his fangs. Donghyuk knows he’s getting through so he smiles and brushes his left hand through Junhwe’s ebony hair, the coolness of his fingers taking away the heat of the lycan’s anger.

 

It’s silent as they wait for Junhwe to fully calm down. When his human form fully returns, Junhwe takes a deep breath and leans down to give him a chaste kiss. Donghyuk can feel the words “Thank you” pressed on his lips so he smiles again.

 

“This is impossible.” the West chief says with a shake of his head. Donghyuk turns to face him, afraid that the argument would just continue, but the expression the chief’s wearing is helplessness.

 

“It should be impossible, but look at the young vampire lord calming down a furious lycan, a first-class alpha for that matter, so effortlessly.”

 

Donghyuk holds his breath. He feels Junhwe hold his hand in hope as well.

 

“Father, do you mean…?”

 

The West chief stays silent for a long minute, fiery eyes looking at Junhwe before setting them on Donghyuk. The man is scrutinizing him and Donghyuk does his best to match his gaze, show him that he isn’t afraid and he’s as serious as his son.

 

“Do you realize that yours will be an unorthodox union? That any offspring you’ll produce will end up being labeled as a monster?”

 

Junhwe opens his mouth to answer but Donghyuk steps forward. He squeezes Junhwe’s hand in a silent plea. This is his turn.

 

“Labels are only perception, Your Grace, and we’re all monsters if we choose to be one. If we don’t, then we’re simply people who love and hate as much as humans do.”

 

He smiles up at Junhwe. “And that’s what Junhwe and I chose. We’re just two people who love each other. Fate simply gave us a push.”

 

Junhwe grins down at him, touched and impressed with his words. They both avert their gaze back to the West chief to see what he has to say in response, but the older lycan is already sighing in defeat.

 

 

 

 

 

3.

 

When Duke Jinhwan asked him to have a man-to-man talk about Donghyuk, Junhwe didn’t expect it to be a duel.

 

He was very confident at first. Though a pureblood duke, Jinhwan is so petite that he has to look up to his younger brother when they’re conversing. Junhwe’s full lycan form would no doubt tower over him too. Yet the moment the signal to start was given, Jinhwan transforms to his true self, baring fangs and a black aura so terrifying Junhwe had felt heavy shivers travel down all the way to his fingers.

 

It’s one of the most difficult fights Junhwe had faced, he must admit. Full-grown trees were trashed, walls and pillars of cement had crumbled, and the presence of the moon in the night sky didn’t help him that much. On top of that, the Duke’s whole council is watching in harsh judgment.

 

He’s only allowed to see Donghyuk when it’s over. He and the duke dueled the whole night and he feels so fatigued despite his alpha-healing trait already working on his injuries. Donghyuk goes to his collapsed state on the floor, tightly embracing him and not caring that he’s dirty and has splotches of dried blood. He flinches when Donghyuk starts trembling and panting, his nails digging on his skin. Junhwe knows what it is.

 

“You can drink my blood Donghyuk. It’s okay.” he says, already turning his neck to him to give him access. “You must be hungry all this time. I’m sorry for making you wait.”

 

“No…” Donghyuk sobs and pulls away. “You should eat and take a rest first. Don’t worry about me.”

 

“But --”

 

“Okay, we all get it. You love each other so much.”

 

They both look at the doors to see Jinhwan and the council enter. In contrast to Junhwe, Jinhwan only has minimal injuries and is already dressed in a new suit. Junhwe watches in surprise as Donghyuk stands up and marches towards his older brother, a heavy frown on his face.

 

“Hyung! You said it’s not going to be a serious fight! Why is June injured so much?!”

 

“He has his alpha healing to take care of him Donghyuk. He’ll be fine.”

 

“That’s not the point!”

 

“The point is, I needed to test your lycan thoroughly to see if he could protect you well, and he had proven himself. He could chew up your stubborn suitors if he wants.”

 

That silences up Donghyuk in surprise. Junhwe is surprised too. He had thought he’s being punished or was simply being bullied. He’s even defeated as well. Jinhwan is simply too strong and has a hundred years more battle experience than him.

 

“Thank you, hyung.” he says, grin already making its way to his lips as he sits up. “I promise I’ll love Donghyuk and protect him with my life.”

 

“Very confident, are you? You’re already calling me hyung.” Jinhwan rolls his eyes and pouts. Donghyuk goes to him for a tight hug, his happy words of thanks loud enough to make the council members smile. Junhwe watches the two brothers with fondness.

 

When they’re finally left alone and Donghyuk asks him what he wants as a reward, his answer is immediate. Donghyuk helps him up to the bed and stays by his side, his fingers brushing his hair and patting his head gently, until he falls asleep.

 

 

 

 

 

4.

 

Junhwe’s grip on his hand is tight to the point that it starts to hurt, but Donghyuk doesn’t complain. His spouse pulls them out of the car and hurries through the hallways of their home. Donghyuk can only greet back apologetically to the servants they passed by.

 

The door to their bedroom is shut tight and locked by Junhwe as soon as they entered it. Junhwe releases his hand and pulls away, hands on his head as he turns his back to him. In and out, the lycan breathes.

 

Donghyuk bites his lip and blushes, unsure of what to do. This is Junhwe’s first heat since they wedded and despite all the books Donghyuk read on lycan marriages and mating, his mind refuses to cooperate. But he’s aware enough to see that Junhwe is starting to suffer in holding himself back, afraid that he might hurt or scare him.

 

So he does the first move. He walks back to Junhwe and wraps his fingers on his arm, the icy temperature of his skin alerting Junhwe enough to look back at him.

 

“You love me, right?” he softly asks, trying to make the other realize that he shouldn’t be afraid of touching him. Junhwe gulps down air and nods.

 

“Yes.”

 

“And you won’t hurt me?”

 

“I will never.”

 

Donghyuk smiles and reaches to caress his lycan’s cheek. “Then it’s fine June. I’m yours. I love you.”

 

And he leans up to kiss him firmly.

 

Junhwe made love to him the whole night and through all of it, Donghyuk could barely catch his breath. Even when he had recharged himself by drinking his spouse’s blood once, the energy he’d gotten ends up getting out of his system due to Junhwe’s own stamina. Donghyuk lost count on how many times he was taken, and the only clear memory he has is Junhwe’s solemn whispers of love and devotion on his ears.

 

They fell asleep when it’s still dark but Donghyuk wakes up when the sun is starting to rise. Junhwe has his arms wrapped loosely around his upper torso and his breath bouncing on the cold skin of his chest. Donghyuk smiles and kisses the top of his lycan’s head before running his fingers through Junhwe’s unruly hair, trying to arrange them back.

 

That seems to wake his spouse up in a semi stupor so he shushes him gently and begins humming a lullaby, fingers still brushing Junhwe’s hair. Junhwe doesn’t move for a moment before tightening his arms around him. He giggles softly when Junhwe sighs in contentment.

 

 

 

 

 

5.

 

Junhwe doesn’t say a word as he stands by Donghyuk’s side. It’s just the two of them at the cliff, the East’s council members respecting their new Duke’s wishes to leave them alone. Yunhyeong, Jiwon and some of his loyal lycan friends had also visited, bringing a short letter of condolence from his father.

 

Donghyuk’s tears had stopped since last night. Junhwe feels his vampire tremble a bit, his grip on the urn tightening, so he wraps an arm around his shoulder in silent encouragement. He patiently watches as Donghyuk sighs and nods at himself, finally opening the urn and letting the wind take Jinhwan-hyung’s ashes.

 

Both of their kind are starting plans to take revenge now. Humans are the enemy, they say. The vampires and the lycans have been living in the shadows for thousands of years. Humans are ungrateful, they add. Such hypocritical words when their kinds have chosen more than once to be the monsters they have been labelled.

 

Junhwe knows the path he and Donghyuk will eventually choose but for now, he forgets it. He gently holds Donghyuk’s nape and leads him to rest his head on his shoulder. Donghyuk is always the one to comfort him with pats on his head and gentle fingers on his hair so this time, Junhwe will be the one to do those for him.

 

He tries to hum too but because he didn’t have singing lessons like Donghyuk did, he ends up botching the tune. Donghyuk snorts and laughs but doesn’t make fun of him, saying instead that his voice is beautiful.

 

“Thank you, June. I’m glad you’re with me.” Donghyuk says with a sad but hopeful hint in his voice. Junhwe nods and continues playing with his mate’s hair, his vow to Jinhwan replaying in his mind.

 

With his life, he’ll continue to love and protect Donghyuk.

 

 

 

 

 

6.

 

The dark blue color of the night is starting to fade as daybreak begins. Junhwe should arrive any minute now.

 

Donghyuk smiles when he sees his lycan come out from the secret passageway they used a very long time ago for their secret dates. Junhwe is still in his wolf form, his ebony fur still shining even under the daybreak light. He patiently waits for Junhwe to approach him and tries his best to ignore the increasing numbness in his body.

 

“Welcome back.” he greets, breathing heavily as he opens his arms to welcome Junhwe’s collapsing figure on his lap. The wolf moves to take most of his weight off him so only his head rests on his legs.

 

Donghyuk waits in a few moments for Junhwe to transform back to his human form but when he doesn’t, he understands. Instead, he does Junhwe’s favorite act of comfort from him. He runs his shaking fingers on his spouse’s fur.

 

He wants to sing too but even speaking is already too difficult. With the last of his vampiric power, he channels his senses to see if Junhwe has been followed or if there are still enemies roaming around. He doesn’t pick up anything so it means his husband had won. The lycans and vampires who chose to be monsters are all defeated. The sacrifices of their friends and allies are no longer in vain, and their children should be able to live in peace from now on.

 

Junhwe releases a soft, purr-like whimper so he looks down at him. In the many decades they shared, Donghyuk had strived to learn the wolf language. Though weak, he still catches Junhwe’s veiled words.

 

“I love you.”

 

And just like that, his beloved lycan passes. Even the blood underneath him has turned cold.

 

Tears fall from Donghyuk’s bloodshot eyes. It hurts so much. Much more than the pain from the gaping hole on his chest. “I love you too”, he wants to say but his mouth can’t move any longer.

 

Yet he doesn’t regret. They were mocked for choosing to protect humans but he and Junhwe had stayed as themselves in the end. Just two people who love each other and the world they live in.

 

As the daybreak turns into morning, he continues to brush his fingers on his lycan’s fur until his body finally stops. He was happy, and Junhwe was happy as well. He hopes the next world they’ll be born into would be much kinder.

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

.

.

.

 

7.

 

Junhwe stares at himself on the selfie cam of his phone. He tries one angle to another, tapping the cam button for the two angles he liked, before finally noticing that some of his hair strands are sticking out weirdly. He grunts and closes his phone in annoyance.

 

He’s getting bored. Their boarding time for the plane is still half an hour away and taking selfies has started to become uninteresting. He raises his phone again to look at his unruly hair strands, but stops when his ears pick up an overly familiar melodious laugh.

 

Donghyuk is laughing again from something on his phone. The shades he had on since arriving at the airport is already tucked into the pocket of his jeans, so Junhwe can clearly see the crinkles in his eyes when he laughs. Yunhyeong-hyung takes a peek at Donghyuk’s phone and laughs too.

 

Junhwe purses his lips and averts his gaze a bit, something uncomfortable brewing in him. He’s been getting that weird feeling lately, and it’s almost always related to Donghyuk laughing or talking with another member of their group. He hesitantly turns his eyes back to them to see Donghyuk staring at him.

 

Junhwe stares back. They stayed like that until Donghyuk points at him and then starts gesturing to his head. Junhwe just blinks and frowns a bit, not getting what the other is trying to say. Then Donghyuk sighs and calls him by the hand.

 

“What’s your problem?” he grunts as he sits beside his same-aged friend. Donghyuk snorts and latches his hand on the back of his head.

 

“Your hair’s a mess, you pabo. Stay still.”

 

Junhwe wants to retort that he could take care of himself, but he forgets it because his nose picks up on the new perfume Donghyuk’s been wearing lately. He can’t quite describe it but it’s similar to the smell of flowers. He talked to Donghyuk about it before but he said he doesn’t have anything like that in his perfume collection.

 

Also, he’s started to notice the way Donghyuk brushes his hair with his fingers. Specifically, he realized how gentle Donghyuk’s fingers are, how the tips sort of leaves a warm feeling on his scalp and strands. Combine that with the scent of Donghyuk’s new perfume and Junhwe feels sort of… relaxed and strangely happy. It’s so weird but he likes it. He likes it very much.

 

He blushes and his heart beats two times faster at that sudden thought. His mind suspends, only realizing he’s in a trance when Donghyuk finally leaves his hair alone.

 

“There. Now check this out.” Donghyuk raises his phone and leans closer to him, showing him a video of a cat and a puppy. “It’s so funny.”

 

Junhwe internally tells himself to get his together. He stares at the video and tries to concentrate at it, but he fails. He can’t get the feel of Donghyuk’s fingers brushing his hair and that weird flower-like scent out of his head.

 

“Hey, you’re not actually watching, are you?” Donghyuk nudges him with his elbow, taking him out of his trance again. His chingu’s frowning at him so Junhwe discreetly clears his throat and makes up whatever excuse he could.

 

“It’s not funny anyway.”

 

“What? Everyone laughed at this.”

 

“It’s stupid.”

 

“It’s not.”

 

“You all have a weird sense of humor.”

 

Donghyuk stares at him again. Junhwe knows he’s spouting so he won’t blame Donghyuk if he decides he’s not worth his time anymore and go talk to someone else. But Donghyuk just continues to look at him, intently, before moving to pat his head three times.

 

Junhwe stiffens. There’s that weird feeling again.

 

“Whatever it is that’s making you sour, it’ll soon pass. Here,” Donghyuk inserts his earphones on his phone and extends one end to him. “I got some new songs I know you’ll like. I’m sure you haven’t heard them yet.”

 

He’s not being sour, Junhwe wants to say. Yet with one look at Donghyuk’s reassuring smile, he sighs and takes the earbud offered to him. A blues song plays and he likes it immediately.

 

He’ll like it better if Donghyuk plays with his hair while he listens, he decides. Maybe he could rest his head on his lap while they’re at it. For some reason, the idea feels very familiar and homey to him.

 

Junhwe thinks more on that. Perhaps… someday...

 

“It’s good, right?” Donghyuk asks him, eyes on the phone as he shows him the title. “Like it?”

 

“Yeah.” he doesn’t look at the title and instead, sets his gaze on Donghyuk.

 

He feels his lips tug into a fond smile.

 

“I like it very much.”

 

.

.

.