Of Rivals and Love Songs

Half Past Eleven [MINOR REVISIONS]

 

Reason for hesitating to post this: It has many redundant elements from the previous chap. Literally wrote this as a "more complete" version 2 of it, hahaha.

On that note, why did I even decide to go ahead with the first one instead of this? *scratches head*

Oh well. Here goes... :)

 

 


 

 

Goo Junhwe is one of the country’s leading solo male artists. His discography boasts of numerous number 1 albums with over hundreds of thousands of sales, making him a force to be reckoned with. He’s known for his husky, powerful vocals and his cool and self-assured image.

 

Kim Donghyuk is a top solo male artist as well. The numerous number 1’s he has in his record accentuates his massive sales numbers, making him one of the most respected artists to date. He’s known for his soft, angelic vocals and his all-smiling and warm image.

 

Another thing Goo Junhwe and Kim Donghyuk are known for? Their rivalry.

 

At first, that rivalry is what boosted both their sales and their popularity. Their fans would stream all night and would buy multiple copies of their albums just to make their fave “win”. But trends come and go and so is the public’s interest. Suddenly, being rivals isn’t as interesting as it was before. The clamors for a collaboration or a team-up had never been so loud.

 

And so, the rivalry is pushed to the side for now. One of them isn't keen to it though.


 

---


 

“Be polite. Refrain from saying sarcastic things. Smile.” Hanbin reminds him as he goes through clipped documents in a file folder.

 

Junhwe rolls his eyes at his manager and the way he seems so nervous. It’s just a freaking meeting. It’s even a shame they have to hold it in a VIP-only restaurant when the purpose is only just that. Besides, he can handle himself. It’s not like he’ll snap the moment the other party arrives. However, he definitely won’t be pushed to do what they want.

 

Any additional reminders his manager might have is canceled when the sliding door opens to reveal his one and only rival. Kim Donghyuk bows politely and gives them this bright, warm smile he’s sure is fake. His petite manager, Kim Jinhwan, ushers his talent inside and goes straight to greet him and Hanbin.

 

“Hi Junhwe-ssi.” Kim Donghyuk says, still with the sunny (fake) smile when they’re finally face to face. The dude holds out his hand for a handshake and he inwardly cringes because he has no choice but to oblige. Hanbin’s eagle eyes are on aim.

 

“Hi.” he greets back, smirk in place. The smile on his rival’s face widens.

 

“Let’s have a fruitful discussion today!”

 

It’ll definitely be fruitful alright. He can’t wait until he unmasks just how fake “Angel Donghyukie” is.

 

 

---

 

 

Surprisingly, the meeting went so smooth it’s almost unbelievable. Kim Donghyuk and his manager were very open with his and Hanbin’s suggestions, it’s as if there isn’t a “rival” background between the two parties to begin with. Kim Donghyuk also asks for his opinion eventhough he didn’t reciprocate the same gesture. The whole meeting’s pretty boring because of it. He was actually looking forward to some arguments.

 

The moment their managers finally leave the two of them so they could “get to know each other” is when the fun begins.

 

He drops all “polite” pretenses and returns to his usual disposition. He stares cold and biting towards the other male, daring him to maintain the fake persona he shows in front of other people. If they’re going to get to know each other, Kim Donghyuk might as well show his true colors.

 

But the guy just blinks at him and grins.

 

“This is so surreal. We’ve been competing with each other for like, 3 years, and we’re getting to know each other just now.”

 

Wow, Kim Donghyuk sure is stubborn with his image.

 

“I have no intentions of getting to know you though.” he says bluntly. “And this collab? Don’t like it.”

 

He knows he’s being a jerk right now but it’s not without purpose. He needs his rival to act like it and show everyone they can’t get along.

 

But Kim Donghyuk nods at him as if he sympathizes.

 

“Totally understand. Your voice deserves it’s own spotlight and even now I still can’t believe I get the chance to sing with you.”

 

Ok, what the ?

 

He feels his eyebrows raise in disbelief. Is Kim Donghyuk’s tolerance that thick for him to still be this “nice”? Looks like it’s time to change tactics. He pounds a hand on the table and leans, a full-on frown now on his mouth.

 

“Really? You think I’ll believe that? Stop pretending to be cool about everything and just tell me you don’t want this too so we could convince our managers it’s not gonna work.”

 

His rival’s eyebrows knit. Finally!, he yells in his head. Mr. Nice Guy can stop being nice now.

 

“Oh. I didn’t know you really hate this.”

 

Yes, he really hates it so could he just --

 

“But I heard both our agencies already have our collab on lock with the investors. I’m sorry Junhwe-ssi.”

 

Okay, what?

 

What investors? Hanbin didn’t tell him about it! He openly scowls and shifts away from the table, eyes glaring at the other. If what his rival said is true, then he has no choice but to go through the freaking collab. Now he’s going to be stuck with Kim Donghyuk for 3 freaking months.

 

He curses under his breath and ignores the way his rival’s staring at him. The guy is looking so sorry for him, it’s making him feel awkward. Never mind if he’s being genuine about it.

 

“Well.... for starters,” Kim Donghyuk gives out that annoying smile again. “Wanna order something? It’s about time for an afternoon snack.”


 

---


 

He doesn’t order anything. Meanwhile, his rival has a plate of pasta and a large sized iced tea as his “snack”.

 

The grimace in his face seemed to be so obvious because Kim Donghyuk immediately chuckles and blushes (ing blushes) as if he’s shy. He says his appetite has always been large since he was a kid and though he gains weight easily, he still loves eating good food.

 

He wonders why he just listened to the whole explanation when he already established he isn’t interested.

 

“Are you sure you don’t want anything? They have a separate menu if you’re on a diet.”

 

“No, thank you.”

 

Before he could question himself where the “thank you” came from, Kim Donghyuk’s phone suddenly lights up and a song plays. His rival quickly excuses himself and grabs his phone, turning his back to him so he could answer the call. The snippet of conversation he could definitely overhear doesn’t register to him because all he could think of is the freaking song. When the phone call finally ends, he speaks.

 

“Hey.” All irk is forgotten for the moment. “That ringtone…”

 

Kim Donghyuk gives him a soft smile. “Ah, the song’s really good isn’t it? The music is unique and really catches your attention.”

 

Then his rival launches on a story of how he once picked up a composition notebook at the edge of a riverbank. The notebook was apparently full of song scribbles and crossed out lyrics but since there was no name or contact details attached, he wasn’t able to return it to the owner.

 

“There’s only one completed composition. It looked like the rest of the scribbles are prototypes for it. It’s so beautiful it would be a waste not to make it into a true song, so I’ve been working on it as I learned how to compose music.”

 

He gulps, not sure what to say because his mind’s in a total shock.

 

“...You did well with it.”

 

“Really? Thank you! I love the song so much. I hope the original composer wouldn’t mind what I did.”

 

The compose won't. After all, that song is his. Lost when he gave up on his dreams once upon a time, and is now finally “returned” by the most unexpected person in the whole world.

 

“Yeah. Well…” now this is awkward and rather confusing. How is he suppose to feel about the sudden revelation?

 

“That notebook you’re talking about is actually mine.”

 

Kim Donghyuk’s grin drops a bit. “Excuse me?”

 

“That notebook’s mine. I threw it over the bridge crossing Hanlim river. It was when I was 17, during the semestral exams period…”

 

He’s half-expecting for his rival to laugh and say he’s just ting him and he idiotically went along because really, what kind of coincidence is this? That’s not including the slight fear because he’s positive he has some embarrassing doodles on it.

 

Like he expects, Kim Donghyuk laughs. Like, really laughs out loud. He’s starting to feel annoyed and embarrassed at the same time until the dude reaches over and holds his hands on the table, super bright smile on his face.

 

“Oh my god, this is so cool!! No wonder the composition’s so good because it’s you! I’m happy I finally get to return it to its owner!”

 

His mind becomes more tangled of a mess as he watches Kim Donghyuk still be bright and chirpy and nice and he doesn’t know if he could still keep his guard up. And maybe his face shows the mess in his thoughts because his rival is suddenly pulling his hands away.

 

“Sorry for going on like that. So, umm.” There’s a pause and a shy upward glance towards him that somehow makes him feel shy as well. He’ll just think it’s because of his lost notebook. “About our collab, do you want me to try to talk to my agency? Just to let them know you’re not keen so we could accommodate you better?”

 

That question successfully gets him out of the clutter in his head. He didn’t answer right away, thinking about it while his rival keeps a cautious eye on him.

 

...Well, Kim Donghyuk did keep that long-lost and almost-forgotten part of his dreams so…

 

“No need. Just make sure you’ll give your best in this collab.”

 

Like a kid being given a prize, his rival’s face instantly lights up.

 

Kim Donghyu-- Donghyukie beams at him and now that he isn’t trying to sabotage anything, Junhwe realizes he isn’t as annoyed as he thinks he is whenever he sees that smile (which, he semi-confirms, is not fake).

 

The next months are going to be awkward but he supposes he could give the collab a real chance now.


 

---


 

No, Kim Donghyuk is definitely not a fake person playing into the “angel” image he has.

 

It’s been a whole month and Donghyuk is literally the same. Sure, there are spells of annoyance with small frowns and pouts here and there, but Donghyuk is still nice for like, 80 percent of the time. It’s freaking ridiculous when the first month’s full of their managers’ yapping for a perfect recording, late night meetings with unreasonable execs, and dodging annoying paparazzi.

 

 

As for him, he’s given up being “polite” since the 4th day. Donghyuk has been covering that for the both of them ever since.

 

“Junhwe, here.”

 

His vision is blocked by a large mug. The aroma of instant coffee instantly makes him awake enough to realize he almost drifted deep into his thoughts. He’s supposed to be revising the bridge part of the collab album’s 4th song.

 

He takes the mug and waits for Donghyuk to take a seat beside him, watching at the corner of his eye as the other carefully places his own mug on the desk so it would be out of the way of his Macbook.

 

“Did you make this yourself?” He asks after taking a sip of the coffee, inwardly surprised.

 

Donghyuk smiles sheepishly at him. “Yeah. Didn’t want to disturb anyone when it’s already way past working hours. Do you like it?”

 

He likes it. Donghyuk managed to get the perfect blend from freaking instant coffee.

 

“It’s okay.” he says instead and like the nice guy that he is, Donghyuk maintains the smile as if he’s fine with that.

 

His “rival” asks if he could check out his progress with their songs and he shrugs, seeing no reason to refuse. Silence is there again as Donghyuk immerses himself on his work-in-progress, his hands holding the headset on both sides. When he’s about to drift into random thoughts again, he hears Donghyuk hum.

 

He places his coffee mug on the desk and listens, immediately realizing that Donghyuk is matching the bridge part he keeps on having trouble with. Donghyuk isn’t using his usual high pitch tone and suddenly, everything seem to click.

 

“Wait, can you try that in the recording booth?” he tells the other after interrupting him with a pat on the back. “Hurry.”

 

Donghyuk chuckles at him as if what he said is amusing, but he still stands up from his seat and walks to the booth.

 

“You seem excited.”

 

“Of course. If you got this right, we’ll finally leave this place and get some sleep.”

 

“I’ll do my best sir.”

 

He rolls his eyes. When Donghyuk gives him a thumbs up from inside the booth, he starts the song and they wait for the bridge part. He holds his breath and listens as Donghyuk nails what he wants to hear in just one trial. He quickly turns on the playback, both of them listening eagerly, and it’s freaking perfect. Despite the relief, there's a temptation to lament on how easily Donghyuk solved the issue when he’s been working in it for the entire day.

 

“Finally!” Donghyuk says in a sing-song manner after he tells him it’s done now. He goes to the couch at the side of the room and collapses on it, grin in place towards him.

 

“Guess I should hum more often to your WIP songs from now on.”

 

He replies with a scoff and turns his focus back to the composing software on the monitor. Or at least, he tries to. Though his eyes are stuck on it, his mind keeps reminding him how Donghyuk gets him without them actually talking about it. From the instant coffee blend to their collab songs, it’s like their compatibility is on a 100% eventhough they’re so opposite in many ways. It’s as if the two of them together are as perfect as the coffee Donghyuk made for him. He’d like to think it has something to do with how they were “connected” through his old composition notebook.

 

He stealthily glances to the other singer on the couch. Donghyuk is already asleep, fingers curled by his chin and lips.

Angel.

He clears his throat as he pulls his gaze back to the computer monitor. Resting his chin on his hand, his stretches his fingers to his cheek in an attempt to hide the red he’s sure is decorating it.


 

---


 

Their title track hits number 1 on all charts, surprisingly, and the whole mini album is currently on number 2 - blocked by the album of an equally famous rapper.

 

Same rapper who apparently is “very close” with Donghyuk and is now chatting so happily with him.

 

He clicks his tongue and impatiently looks at the backstage monitor which shows the commercial ad being played during the music show’s break. Hanbin approaches him with the bottle of water he requested.

 

“You’re very annoyed.” his manager remarks, eyebrows raised. He scoffs then takes the bottle.

 

“Am not.”

 

“Don’t make it obvious on camera.”

 

He rolls his eyes but Hanbin just snickers before leaving him alone. Sipping from the bottle, he tells himself not to watch Donghyuk and said rapper since it’ll only fuel whatever he’s “feeling”. No, he’s not going to acknowledge it.

 

But Donghyuk’s manager, Jinhwan-hyung, just has to come his way, whispering discreetly that there are small rumors circulating about those two’s “real” relationship. Before he could fully comprehend his actions, he’s already standing beside Donghyuk, their arms bumping and touching as he offers his water bottle to him.

 

“Hey, you haven’t drank anything yet right? Here.”

 

Donghyuk looks up to him with a smile, completely comfortable with their closeness.

 

“Thanks Junhwe!”

 

He smiles back then makes eye contact with Bobby Kim, the smile instantly transforming to a flat line to emphasize the growing glare in his eyes. The rapper appears to be taken aback, eyes wide and mouth hanging a bit, before he finally, finally, excuses himself and leaves.

 

“Wait, is this your bottle?” Donghyuk suddenly gasps. “You didn’t have to share! Now I feel bad.”

 

“Don’t be. I don’t mind sharing with you.”

 

He really doesn’t, he acknowledges within himself. Donghyuk seems surprised with his words but smiles his usual smile nonetheless.

 

Then he feels him wrap his fingers around his own, squeezing them in a soft grip before letting go, and he knows he has to acknowledge the other thing too.

 

He doesn’t want to share Donghyuk with anyone else.


 

---


 

Their album eventually overtakes Bobby Kim’s album and has monopolized the number 1 spot for two straight weeks. The minor rumors between the rapper and Donghyuk have all since been buried but in turn, they’re replaced with rumors of the two of them.

 

“This is embarrassing.” Donghyuk says with a cringe as they and their managers look through entertainment headlines of their speculated romance. Their “palpable chemistry” is repeatedly insinuated in most of the articles, together with their fans’ supposed support.

 

“Every article about our album also talks about us.” Donghyuk adds with an awkwardly sheepish smile.

 

Junhwe doesn’t answer. He doesn’t care about the articles because their sales speak for themselves, but what does matter to him is Donghyuk’s first statement. What does he find “embarrassing” exactly? Is it the way the media indulges the rumors? Or the idea of the two of them dating?

 

He doesn’t get his answer because Jinhwan-hyung and Hanbin starts telling them how they’re expected to behave from now on. Their agencies want them to put a distance until their collaboration project officially ends. For the first time in 2 and a half months, he’s reminded that he and Donghyuk are rivals first and foremost.

 

When Donghyuk and Jinhwan-hyung stand up to leave, he catches his rival’s eye and sees something in there. Donghyuk wants to tell him something and he feels like it’s the same as his thoughts about everything.

 

About how he doesn’t want the collaboration to end, that he knows they could do greater things together, and that he doesn’t want to be rivals anymore.

 

About how he wants to be much, much more than that.

 

But alas, Donghyuk leaves without telling him any of those and he’s left with no choice but to go along.


 

---


 

The collaboration project officially ends in a cold winter day. Their fans are clamoring for a second album or a permanent unit with the two of them, but their agencies pretend they didn’t hear despite the proven profitability.

 

He hasn’t heard from Donghyuk ever since despite his numerous messages and call attempts. Hanbin told him his “rival” had flown to Japan for the production of his upcoming solo album.

 

Is he angry about it? Yes, he is. He feels like he’s been duped and now he’s left with feelings he knows won’t go away for a very long time. Heck, Donghyuk doesn’t even have the decency to return his old notebook to him.

 

The only consolation he has is his ability to channel said feelings on song compositions. Without that, he would be more than angry. So he composes song after song, finishing an album’s worth just in time for Donghyuk’s announcement of his own. Here they are again, back to their original rival dynamic.

 

He hopes Donghyuk could listen carefully to his new songs since all of them are made because of him.


 

---


 

He has to really hand it to their agencies. To convince people they’re better off as rival solo singers, so much marketing towards that sentiment has been made. Even the release of his and Donghyuk’s albums are on the same day and time. That has never happened before.

 

He doesn’t care though. He knows his fans will love his songs with or without Kim Donghyuk’s name floating around as a “threat”. Besides, he’ll definitely emerge on top since the trends in the current season are leaning for voices like his.

 

When the clock strikes 12, officially releasing the digital versions of the rival albums, he doesn’t do anything to check even on his own album. Then Hanbin comes in the recording booth, bringing coffee (that is either too sweet or too bland, he's sure) and a paper bag. Probably extra work.

 

“Your title track debuted number 1 on the charts. Congrats!”

 

He shrugs and turns back to composing another song on his computer.

 

“Donghyuk’s just a few points away from you though.”

 

He doesn’t react.

 

“Jinhwan-hyung came to give you this, by the way. Says it’s from Donghyuk.”

 

He pauses working at that and turns around to see Hanbin holding out the paper bag. What is that, a peace offering? He snorts and takes it, peering inside to see what it is.

 

It’s his old notebook, finally returned to him.

 

He takes it out and stares for a moment before flipping through wrinkled pages of doodles, crossed out lyric lines, and musical notes. At the back is a separate paper, showing him the arrangement Donghyuk did for the one and only completed song in the whole notebook. There’s a note below.

 

“I’m sorry I had to say this through a note… It’s a great honor for me to work with you Junhwe. I’ve always been your fan and those 3 months have been wonderful…”

 

Huh. It’s been "wonderful" for him too. Except he was ditched in the end of it without any warning.

 

“I have a lot more I want to say to you but this note wouldn’t be the proper way. My songs wouldn’t be a proper way either but they’re the only thing I can manage for now… Thank you Junhwe.”

 

Hanbin clears his throat, moving closer to him as if to whisper. “Also, I heard from Jinhwan-hyung, Donghyuk actually tried to demand another collab with you but his agency refused. He wasn’t allowed to meet up or communicate with you as punishment. There’s even some legal stuff attached…”

 

His manager gestures to the notebook with his head. “It’s only now that he’s given some leeway. Jinhwan-hyung still had to sneak that out though.”

 

Junhwe doesn’t need any more explanations. He closes the notebook and turns his attention back to his computer, quickly navigating a music streaming site and buying Donghyuk’s album. Within minutes, he’s listening to the first track.

 

He feels Hanbin’s soft pats on his shoulder as if to comfort him but he isn’t able to respond any longer. He's already engrossed with Donghyuk’s angelic voice and the words that are promised to him.

 

 

.

.

.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“And the winner is….. Goo Junhwe-ssi!!”

 

Donghyuk nods to himself with a smile as he claps alongside the other singers and idol groups. He’s situated at the front, with the 3 MC’s of the show the only ones separating him from his “rival”. He originally wanted to stand by the farthest side but the show wants to capitalize on their rival dynamic.

 

The MCs ask Junhwe to give a winning speech before the show ends so a mic is passed to him. Junhwe stands proudly, trophy lazily cradled in his arm as if it’s ordinary for him to hold awards. That’s so like him, Donghyuk amusedly notes.

 

“First, I would like to thank my fans for buying my album and streaming non-stop. I love you.”

 

Said fans scream from the audience. He sees his own fans look at him guiltily so he mouths the words “It’s okay” and gives them finger hearts.

 

“But more importantly, I’d like to thank my inspiration for my songs in the album. The reason I managed to make songs that had touched you all… Donghyuk!”

 

What.

 

There’s a thick stunned silence of a few seconds before the audience, regardless of the fandom they belong to, had erupted into ear-splitting screams. Loud murmurs can also be heard from the artists behind them, and Donghyuk can only blush and gape at Junhwe.

 

The MCs try to calm the situation but Junhwe cuts them off by returning the mic to them. He approaches him with a grin, moves to lace his fingers with his, and pulls their joined hands up to the air as if to declare a victory.

 

What just happened?

 

He’s still in shock. The production crew had cut off the broadcast but the audience are still screaming. He glances at the side to ask for help from his manager but Jinhwan-hyung (and Hanbin-hyung) are shrugging cheekily at him.

 

“Hey.” Junhwe whispers to him, making him jump in another surprise. “I listened to all your songs.”

 

He blushes more and sighs, his heart pounding so hard it aches a bit.

 

“I listened to all your songs too.”

 

“Then I don’t need to say anything more, since you already know.” Junhwe is smirking at him and he half wants to walk out. The other half wants to do something that would definitely make the audience go crazy.

 

“Ok.” he smiles instead. “It’s the same for me.”

 

Then Junhwe leans down and does the fans-gone-crazy-inducing thing he chose to avoid. Indeed, the whole vicinity is loud with the chaos and the PD’s are already leaping on the stage to try to stop them.

 

“We don’t need to say the words, but it doesn’t mean we can’t act on them.” Junhwe tells him with another smirk before they’re separated.

 

He blinks and lets himself be pulled to the other side. With his heart bursting with joy and the feel of Junhwe's lips still fresh on his, he laughs.


 

---


 

He ends up leaving his own agency because of a “breach of contract”. It’s fine because Junhwe’s agency quickly offered to take him in, with the same contract details as what Junhwe has. And due to the surprisingly positive response from their fans and the public, a permanent duo unit with the two of them is officially made.

 

The public is happy, their fans are now free from warring, and they’re released from being rivals as well.

 

Now he and Junhwe are known for something different. Their songs together can easily shout that out for the whole world to hear.

 

 

.

.

.