First snow

First snow

Jaehwa ran down her stairs carrying her papers in one hand, coffee mug in another. She was late for work AGAIN. It was already hard living alone and on top of that waking up early was pain. She killed the heavy traffic and finally stepped inside her office on the tenth floor of her broadcast station.

Jaehwa worked as a news reporter who appeared on the 9'0 clock news everyday telling the people of Korea about news they would want to hear and those they should. Apart from being in a tedious job the only thing that kept her going was Lee ho won, her boyfriend, her love, her man who worked with her as a sports section anchor in the same station. She considered herself lucky to be on air everyday night along with her boyfriend beside her. Who would ever imagine of something like this to happen.

Howon and Jaehwa met during their recruitment interviews and had been friends till one day, first snow of the year to be exact, he said to her that he liked her. It was the perfect day ever in her not-so-great life and she loved him with all her heart for changing it into something so beautiful. It's been six years and still they were going strong tho with a little ups and downs now and then. But howon was the best perfect boyfriend she could ever imagine of. He was everything she ever wanted. He loved her dearly.

She turned to hear a knock, it was him, her shine walking in towards her. She stood up throwing her arms around his waist and snuggled up his chest. "Oh...aren't you the one who always wanted these outside work?" He asked smirking hugging her tightly. She tried to wriggle out but couldn't from his tight grip. "Now now don't be like that, I was joking baby" he said kissing her temple. They finally pulled out and sat on the couch holding hands. She sulked a little "I hate you" leaning on him playing with his tie. "Love you too baby" he said laughing wrapping his hands around her.

They were busy arguing on which place to have dinner that night when.. "Am I interrupting you lovebirds?" Said a deep voice behind them. Howon almost fell down from the couch, both of them stood up quickly looking flustered. Jaehwa stuttered saying "Manager sung wh..what are y..you doing here?" "Hope you have a lot of work to do Howon-ssi why don't you leave the ladies for a talk" she said holding a poker face, staring them down. Howon immediately bowed to her and left eyeing Jaehwa once before exiting. She looked like she was about to faint anytime. She still stood frozen,jumping into reality when she heard someone clearing their throat. She bowed again and asked her boss to sit down.

"Take a seat too Jaehwa" she said sitting down. Jaehwa managed to find a seat with her wobbly legs. It was the first time in all these years her boss had come to office. She felt something was wrong and panicked inside. She looked up to see her boss looking at her intently studying her which made dry. "So Jaehwa.." she said removing her round trim glasses placing it on the table. Jaehwa eyes followed her movement and went back to her. "I've been hearing something about you lately about..." manager sung said. Jaehwa cut in the middle " No no ...it's not true no let me explain, pls don't fire me I won't be late again" she started to blabber panicking more, going on and on without stopping. She didn't realise her boss had stood up walked to her and held her shoulder. Jaehwa looked up to see her. Manager sung started walking towards the door saying "follow me now".

Jaehwa stood up immediately and followed her confused. She found herself entering the recording studio. Her boss stopped in the middle turned around to Jaehwa "We'll be doing the recording a little early today, get ready now". Jaehwa still confused, curiosity was killing her, she finally gathered herself and approached her boss who was standing between two people talking seriously "Doesn't the recording happen in the afternoon?" She said slowly. Her boss looked at her "Are you complaining now?" She asked sulking.

Jaehwa took that as a sign to never speak again until the recording starts and went back to her chair reading her lines while getting her makeup-hair done. Everything went silent, and finally the recording started. The camera director raised his hands to give cue "3 2 1 start" Jaehwa looked into the camera which blinked red light showing its been recorded.

"A very good evening to all, this is Kim Jaehwa.." she starterd and looked at the Tele-prompter next to the camera to start reading the news for the day "The temparature has been starting to go down since last week marking the approaching winter season, it's predicted this year the snow fall rate.........Jaehwa, Remember the day we met? the day you've always waited all year, first snow! that was the day my life gave a new meaning to live when i saw you for the first time with the different feeling, a feeling I've never felt ever and from thereafter you still give me a million reasons to love you everyday. So will you make my heart flutter fill grey and old? Giving me a chance to be the luckiest man alive! Will you marry me?" She read slowly with wide teary eyes standing up from her chair. She looked up seeing smiling faces in front of her but she wanted to see just one person, her person.

And then howon walked forward from behind the tele-prompter smiling making her skip a beat. Jaehwa ran to him throwing her arms around him making them fall on floor with her on top of him. Tears running down her face, howon lifted her face with his hands thumb wiping "So what do you think?" He said smiling looking deeply into her eyes. She nodded rapidly "Yes yes of course yes, a thousand yes" she said pushing him down again to hug him. He then lifted her again holding her face and turned her face to look outside. Jaehwa whispered "first snow",turning back to look at howon. They could hear everyone in the studio cheering and clapping for them. He held her with his arms tightly and whispered in her ear "emm we're still inside the studio baby?". She shook her head "I don't care, and now shut up and kiss me, before I change my mind".

And they kissed.