chapter 1

One of us

 

 

Damn, he was pretty. Like, really pretty. Minho stared at young boy who walked into the lawyer's office, slim body, black short hair that framed angelic face, big doe eyes, small nose and puffy lips that made for kisses, or something else…yeah, definitely something else.

He was beautiful, boyish, even a little feminine but that was his type, on both sides, he dated girls and boys, all like that one- pretty.

He eyed him as he made his way to the receptionist and introduced himself, he couldn’t hear his name but it was ok, he'll find out later, probably when he'll get his number.

The beautiful boy made his way to the waiting area and sat not so far from him, his eyes wandered around the office, he was biting his lip unconsciously…Minho thought about so many dirty things those lips could do.

"Mr. Choi, Mr. Lee…you can come in now"

And not just his lips, actually the tee he wore gave him a clue about the shape of his body, he wasn’t muscular but his shoulders were broad and it’s looked like he was working on those biceps, his waist narrow, the tight jeans that he wore showed how small and tight his could be.

He got up and made him follow him with his eyes, oh yeah, his looked like something he'll want to "Mr. Choi" the receptionist drew his attention and he glanced at her.

"Yes?"

"You can come in"

"Oh, thank you" Minho said politely and got up from his seat, he walked into the office she pointed at. Closing the door behind him he frowned at the boy who sat by the lawyer's desk and waited patiently for him to join them. 

"Have a seat, Mr. Choi"

To be honest, it was all too weird, right from the very beginning when he got that latter a week ago, in that latter he had been asked to arrive to a meeting with Irene's lawyer.

Irene, she was a sweet girl he fooled a long time ago, it wasn’t a romance just a one night stand that started over a bet.  He haven’t talked with her after they slept that night, in fact he was a douche and walked out of her apartment at the middle of the night, so when he received the letter from her lawyer he wasn’t sure what to expect for.

"Thank you both for coming" the lawyer said while Minho took the seat by the boy, he bowed his head slightly out of politeness and glanced at him, he was even prettier from up close.

"I'm Nam Daewoon, I represent Miss Bae"

Both of men nodded understandingly. 

"…Unfortunately, Miss. Bae passed away a week ago"

Irene passed away? So that's why he was here? He frowned at the boy who flinched in his chair, his hands held it tightly till his knuckles turned white. 

"She asked to give the two of you something very precious" her lawyers proceed. 

Why would a girl from a one night stand wanted to give him money?

"A year and a half ago Irene gave birth, according to her- the infant belong to one of you"

Oh, that kind of precious…wait "WHAT?!"

It was the first time any of them talked since they walked into the office, they both gasped the word at the same time, bulging eyes turned to look at each other before they turned their gaze back at the lawyer.      

The lawyer ignored their surprise and just kept talking "Irene's last wish was to check which one of you is Eunji's father, since she had ual relations with both on overlapping times"

"She's not my child" Minho said and got up from the chair, for him the conversation was over "you must be mistaking… Irene was just a one night stand"

"You don’t need more than that you know" the boy mumbled sarcastically without looking at him.

Minho gave him a dangerous look, sure he was pretty but that doesn't mean he could talk rudely at him "You can have the child if you'll like" he said dryly.

The boy snorted but before he could say anything the lawyer interrupted "Mr. Choi- sit, Mr. Lee, please. Would you both let me finish?"

Minho looked angrily at the two other men but sat back, suddenly coldness washed his body, both from the realization he might have a baby girl and from the boy by his side- Lee. 

"Irene lived by herself, no parents, no family. When she found out about her disease it was too late to receive any effective treatment, in her will she asked to find out who's the father and ask him to take care of her daughter"

Minho sighed desperately and brushed his fingers into his hair "can't you give her to a foster family or an orphanage?" he asked annoyed.  

Lee flinched in his chair once again, his breath became heavy.

"I must work by her will, after that in case you're the father you could give up your paternity"

"Where is she now?" Lee asked concerned.

"She's at Irene's friend- Yeri, she watched her since she passed away"

"Ok, so what are we doing now?" his voice trembled with emotions Minho couldn’t understand, was it realization?

"Both of you would do the paternity tests and then we could proceed"  

Lee nodded understandingly, so did Minho.

"One more thing" the lawyer said "Irene asked both of you to live with Eunji until the results of the paternity tests would conform one of you"

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

Minho rode on his motorcycle toward Irene's apartment, he remembered the place vaguely, it was a nice peaceful neighborhood, unlike his apartment in the loudly downtown Seoul.

At the front of the building stood Lee with a huge bag hanging on his shoulder and he was holding his phone to his ear.

Parking his motorcycle, Minho pulled a small backpack out of the trunk and made his way toward the boy.

He thought about not showing up today, for so many reasons, but he wanted to see Lee again- if to be honest, he knew that he could get him into bed with no problems and he never missed an opportunity for good - and the boy looked like a heavenly one.

So yeah, he showed, he'll get him into bed and would get the hell out of there- it won't take more than a few days. He wasn’t the father, that for sure, they used a - he and Irene, besides he wasn’t stupid, he never had unprotected . Never, ever.

"Hi" Lee said as he got closer to him, Minho tried not to give him- my life (or you) look- and offered a small nod of his head.

"I'm Taemin, I don’t think we introduced ourselves properly few days ago" he said and reached his hand for a shake.

Minho stared at his hand for a moment before he shook it "Minho"

"Nice to meet you"

There was no sarcasm in his voice like three days ago at the lawyer's office, if so he looked like he processed things.  

"I've talked with Yeri, Irene's friend, she's waiting for us" Taemin said and gestured with his hand at the entrance, they walked quietly toward the elevator.

For a brief moment Minho wanted to help the boy with his bag, it looked heavy but the boy seems to be doing fine.

When they reached the 15 floor they saw a little sign on the door with Irene's last name on it, Taemin knocked and they waited looking at each other awkwardly.

Barks welcomed them when a nice girl with a crying baby in her arms opened the door, she introduced herself as Yeri and asked them to come in while she struggled to hold a huge dog on his collar so it won't jump on them.

Taemin glanced at Minho worriedly before he walked in, the other eyed the dog for a brief moment before he did the same.

"I'm sorry" Yeri said nervously, referring to the crying baby "she's a little cranky…"

The dog kept barking, mostly at Minho, his legs swung in the air and he was trying to lean at him but Minho took a step back to avoid him.

"He's not dangerous…" Yeri said and pulled his collar to stop him from barking "he's just a little suspicious with strangers"

"Me too" Minho joked and reached his hand to the dog's fur.

"Shampoo is a good and loyal dog, you both would like him"

He was have to admit that Shampoo was a stupid name for a dog but he like it "hey buddy" he said kneeling down as he caught the dog's collar, Yeri let go of him at the moment he held him tightly enough and took care at the hysterical baby in her arms. 

The dog's barks that had calmed by Minho had renewed when the doorbell rang, both men looked at the door while Yeri reached to open it "it's probably the social worker, she'll visit here once in a while to see how are you two handling until the case would close" she said before she greeted a sealed face lady.

The social worker walked into the apartment and eyed it for a moment, she checked if everything fits the baby's welfare- just like she trained to do, then she introduced herself as Ms. Byun.

Minho calmed the dog once again, Yeri tried to calm the baby and Taemin stood there looking anxious.

After a short briefing about herself and her job she reached Minho who looked older and much more responsible to her opinion and gave him her card, Taemin looked a little offended by her choice but said nothing. She left pretty fast after that and promised to come back soon.

"I have to go too" Yeri said and bounced the baby in her arms who kept crying , not hysterically as she did moments ago but still irritated "I have a shift" she explained.

Taemin who realized Minho wasn’t going to leave the dog's side reached his hands to catch the baby in his arms.

Eunji hugged Yeri's neck while she tried to pull her away from her, heart breaking cry filled the apartment when she placed her in Taemin's arms, the boy looked helpless as she struggled and reached her small hands to Yeri.

"I'm sorry sweetie, don’t cry, Taemin- ssi and Minho- ssi are going to take care of you from now on, they're very nice, look…see?"

Taemin tried to smile but Eunji ignored him, he placed his hand on her head as he mumbled calmly at her, from the corner of his eyes he saw Minho leaving the dog and walking into living room to crush on the couch.

"She had a lot lately, so she's sensitive" Yeri said and kissed her small palm "she'll get used to both of you, just be patient with her"

Taemin nodded but obviously was scared by the situation.

"My phone number is on the fridge, if you have any problem call me, I live a little far from here but in case of an emergency I'll do my best to help"

"Thank you" Taemin said over the loudly cries and watched as Yeri left.

Minho watched Taemin as he tried desperately to calm the screaming baby, it looked like he was going to cry too, he walked from side to side like an animal in a cage bouncing her in his arms and tapping her back gently.

"Please stop crying" he begged her before he turned to look at Minho "can you help?"

Minho tilted his head and waved his hand toward Eunji "I don’t do well with them when they cry"

Taemin's beautiful face changed with anger and he got closer to the couch "YA!" he raised his voice at him, Eunji probably got scared by his burst because she stopped crying immediately, they both looked at her as she shared a look between them, her lip trembled and her face changed as she started to cry again, this time even louder.

Minho asked himself how could a small creature like her can make such a loudly noises, his ears threatened to fall, he glanced at Taemin and saw tears streaming down his cheeks, that made him look softer and something inside him clenched, he wanted to reach his hand to wipe his big doe eyes but Taemin shoved the baby into his arms and left him to deal with her while he went to the bathroom and locked himself in there.

Minho wasn’t so good with babies or crying, he had no idea what to do with Eunji who –god save him- had so much energy to cry.

He bounced her in his arms while walking in the living room just like Taemin did, moments later the bathroom's door opened and the boy came out of there, his eyes were a little red but he looked calmer now.

Taemin reached them and pulled Eunji out of his grip as he carried her to the kitchen and started to open the cabins looking for some baby's food.

Eunji became tired from crying, her screams and sobs became smaller and weaker, small hiccups escaped as she mumbled "Ma…"

Taemin's face changed in sadness and he took a deep shaky breath as he glanced over his shoulder to see if Minho heard it as well, he was sitting on the couch, the dog rested his head on his thigh with a tired look, his gaze locked on him, oh yeah, he heard it and it clenched his heart as well.

Even if he prayed that Eunji wasn’t his daughter Minho wasn’t made of stone, the little baby wanted her mother and she had no idea that her mother had passed away, he watched as Taemin placed his hand on her head and her hair calmly, he stopped going through the cabins and focused on her only, he wiped the tears from her eyes and she looked like she was finally realizing that he was harmless, what made Minho's heart clench even harder. Eunji rested her head defeated on Taemin's shoulder, she wrapped her small arm around his neck and buried her face at the crook of his neck, the boy looked down at her miserably, feeling her pain before he looked through the cabins again, the apartment became awfully quiet and Minho had no idea if he liked it better.

Carrying Eunji to the couch with a fruity mash, Taemin sat by Minho's side "can you at least open it?" he asked coldly.

Minho took the jar from his hand, his fingers brushed on his thumb as he did, the boy's skin was soft and delicate, making him want to touch more. Clearing his throat he twisted the cap and handed it back to Taemin who stuck a spoon in it and tried to feed Eunji.

"She's hungry" Minho remarked looking at Eunji opening eagerly.

"She cried a lot…" Taemin said without looking at him "it cost her by energy"

Minho made an understanding face and got up from the couch, the dog looked up at him and so did Taemin as he went to his bag that he left at the front door and pulled some clothes, he made his way toward the bathroom and left the boy shocked for his careless behavior.

 

 

 

Hot water massaged his aching muscles, who knew it so hard to raise a baby, just by looking at Taemin at the past hour made him tired.

He needed some sleep, it's been a long day, he woke up early and went to do the paternity test then he dropped by the office for some really boring meetings with new clients and then came here to meet with the baby for the first time.

He turned off the water and looked at the bathroom cabins for towels then wrapped one around his waist, he checked himself at the mirror before he dried and wore clean boxers and pajamas bottom, his upper body remain bare- at his apartment he usually walked around but here he had to be decent.

When he opened the bathroom door and got out he noticed the apartment was quiet, he could hear Taemin mumbling something but his voice was as a whisper and he couldn’t understand what he was saying, peeping from the corridor he saw the boy walking around the living room with Eunji in his arms, her head rested at the crook of his shoulder, eyes shut and lips parted, she was asleep.

The sight made Taemin look soft and gentle, it squeezed deep in his stomach and he hated the weird feeling. Shaking his head he turned toward the rooms- there were two of them, one was Eunji's and the other…Irene's.

The room looked like she had just gone for the weekend, her private things were everywhere, it sent unpleasant shiver to his body, he felt like intruder but he had to sleep somewhere, right?!

He took off the sheets from the bed and looked through the closet for new one, after arranging the bed he went with the pile of sheets out of the room, looking for the washing machine.

His eyes linked with Taemin's as he passed by the living room, he looked exhausted but kept rocking the baby before he made his way toward the rooms to put her in her own bed.

Moment later he came back to the living room and looked for his bag, Minho kept watching him as he pulled clean clothes and disappeared in the bathroom.

Shampoo who rested on the floor by the door like a guardian lifted his head curiously when Minho went to the kitchen and opened the refrigerator, he got to his feet and stepped into the kitchen "you want to eat buddy?" Minho asked him and earned a bark.

There was almost nothing to eat at Irene's but Minho found some dog's food and placed it in his plate, while the dog ate the bathroom's door opened and Taemin got out.

The boy looked fragile, even more angelic with his hair damp and the oversize pajama, it made Minho want to grab him, toss him and the hell out of him but of course he didn't.  

"I… I noticed there is only one bedroom" Taemin said quietly, his cheeks flushed a little as he stared at Minho's half body and he couldn’t meet his eyes.

"Yeah, I know" Minho said with a smirk, things would turn interesting now "I already arranged the bed, you can join me if you'll like…"

Taemin's face changed like he was about to fight for the room but softened quickly "never mind, I'll sleep on the couch"

Minho's smirk disappeared when he saw the boy walking toward the couch and laying on it, it wasn’t that late even if it was already dark outside but since Taemin wasn’t cooperating with his 'teasing fun time' he found himself walking to the bedroom and laying on the bed, he tossed for few hours before he finally fell asleep.