end

talking to the moon
Daehyun was 3 years old. The date he meets his soulmate, alongside the surname, finally appeared on his wrist. That day he excitedly ran up to his grandfather to show him the writings, he noticed the little boy would meet his soulmate at age 19. He smiled warmly to the child. Daehyun could not read at the time so he had asked his grandfather to read the name.
 Daehyun let the name slowly roll off his tongue as he practiced the name easily. He wouldn't stop repeating the name for days. 
 Although his grandfather is happy for the excited three year old. He was afraid that Daehyun would never find his soulmate at the date, but he believed Daehyun had a chance at the same time, the surname was written in Hangul. The old man has a hard time since his soulmate had died years ago. Daehyun was still alongside the man through all the pain they both suffered with losing his grandmother and both his parents. 
 As Daehyun grew older, his determination to find his soulmate grew and grew. Besides that, everyone loved the boy. He was popular in school, did well in his studies, and stayed healthy,. He wanted the best for his soulmate who he yearns to meet.
 
-
 
 Daehyun was 19 when his world came crashing down, he had gotten a call from the local hospital in the small town he lives in, as he was working his usual shift in a floral shop he and his grandfather owned. 
 Confused, he picked up the phone, 
 "Hello?" 
 They probably got the wrong number, he thought to himself.
 "Is this Jung Daehyun?"
 It's probably about a check up or something.
 "We are informing you that your grandfather is in the hospital at the moment due to a heart attack and he has asked for you. If you would please come by-"
 Daehyun immediately hung up, he thought,
That's impossible, grandfather is perfectly healthy.
 Deep down he knew his grandfather is growing old and getting even more stressed from all these problems weighing down on them, his grandfather frequently getting panic attacks because of stress.
He rushed for his coat and his keys, quickly walking out of the shop, locking up for the day. 
 
-
 
 Daehyun sat across his sleeping grandfather, his foot tapping repeatedly on the ground in the semi-quiet room with the monitors beeping. His grandfather was long asleep since he arrived.
 The doctor had told him about how his grandfather had a sudden heart attack in his home, weakly calling the paramedics to take him to the hospital. They said exactly what Daehyun had also thought, old age and stress.
 All Daehyun could do is sit and wait until he wakes up, not wanting to disturb his grandfather and hurt his fragile condition. 
 Just then, the young man decided to go exploring around, seeing as he was going to be here a while. His phone off for his precious low battery wasted from just sitting.
 
-
 
 Daehyun didn't know why. But he had felt a strong attraction towards a patient that sat at the table across from him in the hospital lounge room, not once did he even think about his destined soulmate whilst he stared at the beautiful boy.
 The boy's hair was a chocolate brown color, his skin pale, chubby cheeks, and beautiful plump pink colored lips, although his eyes were what attracted Daehyun the most. They literally sparkled with life, it was beautiful to Daehyun. This guy, seeming to be content with life unlike the other gloomy patients. And the boy's hands. Don't get Daehyun started on how pretty and delicate looking they are as they turn the page of the book the young boy was reading.
 The brunette, too caught up in thinking about the boy, didn't notice the boy had stood up and walked across the room towards Daehyun, sitting in the chair in front of him.
 "Hello." The boy's surprisingly soothing voice called out to Daehyun's dazed state. Daehyun snapped out of his little trance and sheepishly smiled back at the petite boy, 
 "Hi."
 "I noticed you staring at me from across the room, mister. You ." The boy giggled, oh my god he giggled
 "O-Oh. You did? Sorry.. I-I'm not a ert I swear! It's just.. You looked kind of.." Daehyun stumbled with his words, not making eye contact with the seemingly younger male. 
 He felt an itching feeling on his body. But he couldn't quite figure out where he felt that feeling.
 "It's okay." The boy politely cut into Daehyun's stutters, "I'm Youngjae. You?"
 Youngjae. That's a pretty name..
 "Uh.. Sorry what? 'Me' what?" 
 Youngjae looked at him strangely,
 "Your name?"
 "Hu- oh yeah! My name! My name is Jung Daehyun." Daehyun spoke timidly, noticing Youngjae pursing his lips. His lips then twisted upwards into a grin soon after as if he wasn't just giving Daehyun the most confused puppy dog look he has ever seen, 
 "Well, nice to meet you Jung Daehyun. Pleasure to meet you after staring at me."
 Daehyun nervously chuckled in response, "I have a reason.."
 "And what is that?" Youngjae asked, tilting his head, cheek in hand. 
 The young man sighed,
 "Never mind.. It's a weird reason anyways."
 "Heh, well someday I want to hear this weird reason. So, since you're obviously not a patient here, mister, who're you visiting? Is your wife giving birth or something?" Youngjae asked as he curiously leaned forward towards the male, making Daehyun scoot back a little,
 "Well first of all; stop calling me 'Mister' I can't be that much older than you, I'm 19. And no, I'm not married and will not be any time soon." 
 "Ooh. I'm 16, three years younger than you, grandpa. It's a shame you aren't taken though, you're very handsome.. For a grandpa." Youngjae chortled, his eyes crinkling into crescents while he did so. God, he barely met this boy and he already found him so enduring, it's as if he knew this guy for a long time rather than 10 minutes. 
 "So you're a patient?" Daehyun says, pointing out the obvious. 
 Youngjae just nods, almost sadly, his little spark of happiness flickering away from his eyes, "Yup. Been admitted since birth. Constant visits from time to time. But now it's kind of a permanent thing."
 "Woah seriously?" Daehyun gasped, Youngjae just nodded once more,
 "I mean, it's not that bad-"
 "But you've been visiting here constantly since birth. It must be really bad." Daehyun protested. 
 "I assure you Mr.Jung, it's really none of anyone's business," Youngjae said almost coldly then paused, staring at the young man with a stoic face before changing the subject quickly, 
 "Anyways.. Have you ever met your soulmate, Daehyun?"
 Daehyun shook his head, the sudden thoughts of a soulmate getting to him. He excitedly responded, 
 "Actually, I don't know. But," He held up his wrist to Youngjae, "Today I met them obviously but I never checked for the glowing--" Now the idiot notices it's glowing, he continued anyways, "until I noticed it now. I'm not sure who it was though because I've spoken to many people today. Maybe it was that hot nurse that I spoke to when I arrived, didn't catch her surname though." He laughed. 
 Youngjae just smiled lightly before standing up, wincing in the process,
 "Oh. Do you need help?" Daehyun asked but Youngjae shook his head.
 He looked behind Daehyun. The man turned to see a nurse waiting up on Youngjae,
 "Again, it was nice meeting you, Jung Daehyun. Hope to see you again."
 Then he walked off, holding a cane to steady himself and kindly rejecting the nurse's help. 
 Daehyun couldn't help but smile to himself, looking foreword to their next unexpected meeting.
 
-
 
 "Oh. It's you." Daehyun once again heard the soft voice of Youngjae as he sat in the lounge again for the second time this week since his grandfather was admitted here. Slowly; his grandfather was healing. Daehyun had still not figured out who his soulmate is, but he does know that his soulmate is in this hospital.
  Daehyun sat in front of a chessboard, playing by himself, saving his precious phone battery once again by entertaining himself with chess.
 "Having fun?" Youngjae sat in front of Daehyun, folding his hands neatly on top of his lap.
 Daehyun grunted in response. 
 "Don't act in that manner towards your friend, Daehyun!"
 "Friend?"
 "Yeah what else am I?" Youngjae asked, taking the opposing side of the chess board to play with Daehyun.
 "I wasn't really sure we talked for only a few weeks or so." Daehyun said as he carelessly moved a piece.
 "Harsh," Youngjae said while grinning, catching Daehyun off guard, "Checkmate." 
 "What the-" Daehyun looked down at the board, "You cheated!"
 "I didn't. You just weren't paying attention while you made a silly mistake of where you placed your piece~" Youngjae laughed loudly, Daehyun thought it was the cutest thing he's ever heard. 
 "I want to know more about you." Daehyun stated firmly, looking into the younger boy's bright eyes, the boy continued to smile,
 "Okay."
 
-
 
 "My grandfather and I own a flower shop," Daehyun said after hours of talking with Youngjae, he enjoyed talking with the boy so much he didn't notice time fly by so quick. 
 "Ah, that's interesting. I really like Primrose, just saying," Youngjae grinned, nudging Daehyun, 
 "I'll make sure to bring you some next time." Daehyun liked the spark that appeared in Youngjae's eyes as he spoke.
 "Thank you," Youngjae coughed out, rubbing his chest soon afterwards.
 "Are you okay? Do you need water?" Daehyun asked worriedly, the brunette waved him off,
 "Don't worry this is a usual thing.. But water is very much appreciated, thanks."
 Daehyun stood up and walked across the lounge room to grab Youngjae a cup of water.
 Quickly when he came back, he gave it to Youngjae and rubbed circles on his back as he gulped down the water.
 Youngjae carefully put the cup down and thanked Daehyun once again.  
 Daehyun finally noticed how late it was and Youngjae's nurse hasn't come to pick Youngjae up,
 "Ah, Youngjae it's late. Shouldn't your nurse be here by now?" He asked as he threw the paper cup away,
 "Trying to get rid of me already?" Youngjae chuckled,
 "T-That's not-"
 "I know, I'm kidding." Youngjae laughed before answering Daehyun's previous question, "My nurse wont come for another hour. Today is my free roaming day."
 "Patients have that?" Daehyun questioned curiously, but Youngjae shook his head,
 "No. Only.. Certain patients can," Youngjae grew quiet for a few seconds until continuing, "But besides that. I want to show you something before you leave.." 
 He bashfully smiled up at Daehyun, waiting for his answer. He immediately responded with a "Yes" because he really can't say no to the younger.
 Youngjae stood up slowly, Daehyun helping him as he brought the cane to the boy's hands. They accidentally brushed hands while doing so. 
 "S-Sorry." Youngjae murmured, facing away from Daehyun to hide the pink blush dusting across his cheeks, hoping Daehyun didn't notice. But he did, since he was also blushing from the little touch.
 
-
 
 "Come on, just up here," Youngjae said quietly, so his voice didn't ring across the hallway and disturb the patients that are resting. 
 Daehyun nodded as he was being dragged towards a staircase that leaded up to the rooftop,
 "Wait are you even allowed up there?"
 "Of course I'm not allowed up here! That's the fun in this," Youngjae laughed, continuing to pull a freaked out Daehyun up the stairs and to the door of the rooftop.
 "Okay we're here!"
 "After like a hundred flight of stairs, jesus christ."
 "Aw don't be like that, Daehyunnie. It's worth it I swear." Youngjae said as he placed his hand around the knob. 
 'Daehyunnie?' Daehyun thought to himself as he felt a blush rise up to his cheeks, he didn't have much time to think about what that nickname meant because he got his breath taken away. 
 Youngjae held onto Daehyun's hand, taking him further onto the rooftop and closing the door behind them.
 They were greeted by a beautiful nighttime sky filled with bright, glowing stars and a full moon. Youngjae standing in front of the scene made it even more breath taking than it already is.  
 Youngjae smiled for like the 50th time today, not that Daehyun minded because he found the boy adorable when he did so,
 "Isn't it beautiful?" Youngjae asked, gazing up at the sky with a glint in his bright eyes, something that Daehyun had fallen for once he saw the boy for the first time.
 "It is," Daehyun agreed, gazing at Youngjae instead, his hand still tightly clasped to the latter's. 
 Youngjae turned to look at Daehyun, surprised he was already looking at him. But Daehyun just blurted out,
 "You're beautiful." 
 Youngjae's eyes widened for a split second until they folded into those beautiful crescents whilst grinning up at Daehyun.
 "You're beautiful too, Daehyun." Youngjae said shyly, then he turned to look back up at the dark abyss filled with stars.
 Daehyun soon heard the young boy  singing quietly, a familiar tune, tightening his grip on the older boy's hand,
 "I know you're somewhere out there, Somewhere far away, I want you back, I want you back. My neighbor's think I'm crazy, but they don't understand."
 Youngjae took a deep breath, "You're all I have. You're all I have."
 Daehyun soon joined in, making the younger giggle and lean against him, 
 "At night when the stars light up my room. I sit by myself."
 "Talking to the moon," Their voices harmonized, "Trying to get to you. In hopes you're on the other side, talking to me too."
 Youngjae's voice soon grew quiet as Daehyun continued singing, 
 "Or am I a fool. Who sit's alone, talking to the moon."
 His voice faded in the end as he turned to stare into Youngjae's eyes in a loving way, 
 "You're really good at singing."
 "You're not so bad yourself," Youngjae weakly smiled. Daehyun placed an arm around Youngjae's waist, bringing his frailly framed body closer to Daehyun's larger one.
 Daehyun brought a hand up to Youngjae's cheek, Youngjae's bottom lip with his thumb,
 "Beautiful." Daehyun breathed before leaning in to place a soft kiss on the brunette's plump lips.
 Youngjae complied, kissing the older back. The kiss only lasted for a few seconds, they pulled away to look at each other once more, Daehyun kept his sappy smile on,
 "I've been waiting to do this ever since I saw you."
 "Ah so that's why you kept staring me that day!" Youngjae gasped, lightly slapping Daehyun's arm.
 "N-No!! That's not.." He sighed, "I don't know.. That day, I felt so compelled to you. Because you're really cute and pretty.."
 Youngjae looked at him for a few seconds, then letting out a sigh that he has been holding in, 
 "Hey, Jung Daehyun, do you want to know something?"
 "Huh?"
 "We are sou-" 
 "Ah! Youngjae there you are, I've been looking for you all over the place! I should've known you were here-" The nurse had cut off Youngjae's sentence as she came rushing in with medical equipment behind her.
 "Oh. With Mr.Jung's grandson. Hello," The nurse bowed before rushing to Youngjae, 
 "Sir.. It's time." The nurse spoke grimly.
 Youngjae grimaced,
 "Really.. This late?"
 "Yes.. The doctors said it is urgent to do it now or else.." The nurse didn't finish her sentence but Youngjae knew what she meant.
 "Youngjae?"
 Youngjae had forgotten Daehyun was there, listening to their conversation.
 "Daehyun." Youngjae replied, briskly turning to face him, grabbing one of Daehyun's hands, "Hey.. Can you promise me to bring me Primrose tomorrow?"
 "Sure but why?"
 "Just bring them, okay?" Youngjae spoke, a soft smile playing on his lips.  But Daehyun noticed something off about his smiling. No, not his smile. But his eyes.
 They were no longer shining as bright as they were a month ago when he had first seen the younger boy. They looked empty, though he saw a little spark of what looked like happiness.
 "You made these days enjoyable for me, Daehyunnie." Youngjae stood up on his tippy-toes, pressing a kiss to Daehyun's nose then leant in to kiss Daehyun's lips.
 They were interrupted by the nurse once more who cleared .
 The boys both turned red as they pulled away.
 "Youngjae.. Let's go," The nurse said, opening the door for Youngjae to go through.
 Youngjae let go of Daehyun's grasp,  tears threatening to spill.
 Before he left, he let three words come out of his mouth. Although came out as a sob, Daehyun understood him. And he repeated it.
 
I love you.
 
-
 
Jung Daehyun didn't understand what he did to the universe to deserve this tragedy.
 As usual came to the hospital, dressed nicely as he wore a casual blue colored flannel and his ripped black skinny jeans, because he was edgy that way (and he wanted to look nice for Youngjae). And a bouquet of Primrose in his hand.
 When he had come in he asked for Youngjae. But the receptionist just shook her head. Confused, Daehyun asked where had Youngjae gone.
 "I truly apologize Mr.Jung, but Yoo Youngjae is no longer with us after his long battle of heart disease. He did not survive surgery as of Friday, April 29th at 1:05 am."
Yoo.
Youngjae. 
 Daehyun stared down at the white marble table in front of him, already had left the hospital a few days ago, now getting ready to head to the funeral for Youngjae as he tapped his fingers against the hard surface repeatedly before bursting into tears for the almost 100th time this week. His eyes were puffy and red.
 He should have known. He should have known Youngjae was his soulmate, he should've asked Youngjae when he was alive what he was going to finish saying yesterday. 
 Slowly, Daehyun raised his wrist upwards, having the courage to finally see that his soulmate had actually left. The writing was no longer glowing. It was an ugly brown color instead of the beautiful color he had had when his soulmate was alive.
 Daehyun noticed the extra writing engraved onto his wrist. It was the date written when Youngjae had died. 
 "Youngjae.." Daehyun had sobbed as he stood in front of the gravestone of his mate. He wasn't the only one there. But, Youngjae's family had never shown up. They had disowned Youngjae for coming out as gay.
 Only a few patients who knew Youngjae had appeared. They were named Himchan, Yongguk, Jongup, and Junhong.
 "You know, Hyung always talked about you when he was alive," Junhong, a blonde boy who was aged 14, diagnosed with autism but left in the hospital because his parents did not want to raise a "problem child", Junhong had not been adopted until a doctor stepped in to raise him. Since then, Junhong has since been raised to work in the hospital as a nurse and help.
 "He'd always have this cute little spark in his eyes as he spoke about you, it really was cute," Himchan, a man aged 23, having the same heart disease as Youngjae spoke, smiling softly at the chocolate haired boy.
 "I really miss that kid and his weird ramblings about this guy who makes his heart go wild over the phone or when we're together with Himchan," Yongguk, Himchan's boyfriend who is the same age as him, he doesn't live in the hospital as the other two since he has been released a year ago, named as having serious anger issues, until he started dating Himchan in the hospital his anger had been managed.
 Jongup nodded, the boy who is a year older than Junhong, is mute, and is Yongguk's younger brother who had also been close to Youngjae. He has aphonia, the inability to not produce any voice. Though he could not speak, he really liked Youngjae and how his hyung could make his stoned face smile. And the boy was smitten to Junhong as it was obvious, Youngjae had always encouraged the young boy to go for it.
 Daehyun realized that before he had met Youngjae, Youngjae had made so many people's lives brighter, not just his own. Even if he was fighting off this heart disease he chose to be happy
 He helped four other boys with different backgrounds who were along with him in the hospital come together almost like a family. Youngjae really was something and Daehyun had wished he had met this boy and his friends sooner. 
 Daehyun sighed, looking at the four smiling males, he kneeled down in front of the ground where Youngjae is buried in and placed the bouquet of primroses over the dirt carefully.
 "I love you. I'm glad to have met you Yoo Youngjae. Let's hope in the next life we are soulmates again and meet sooner."
 
- e n d -
 
 man too much listening to angsty music and the tons of other stories im working on (and have not published yeT) i wanted to take a small break and write daejae, my current obsession,,
 oo man woOo im finally done with thi s fic haha i've spent like almost two months writing this monster lmao. at first i was gonna call this fic "moondust" by james young but i liked bruno mars' "talking to the moon" bette lmao,, i just like daejae too much :') there is more daejae fics to com e from me (maybe, if i dont give up like halfway to work on my markson and yugbam fics)
 
 ANYWAYS i hope you enjoyed this mess :'))) bye until the next daejae story i write !!