04 - Dear Bobby

Maknae's Letters
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Dear Bobby hyung,

When I was a child, my father told me this very great quote of his favorite baseballer: “It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.”

I always remember that message again and again whenever I feel down, sad, and crashed to cheer myself again, and I repeat that message for hundred times when I entered the survival show with you guys. At that time, I fully realised that I was not as good as all the M&M candidates, but as long as I work hard and never give up, I believe that I would be unbeatable. At that time, that sentence was only a quote to me… and never have I ever found a person whose whole life is living that quote itself, until I met you.

You are the unbeatable, the person who never gives up.

I’ve never been so inspired to a person until I met you. You always beat the odds, you always break the prejudice, and you’re always being one in a million. When you and your family were in US, you bravely moved to Korea, became a trainee, with a hope that you’d build a house for them in the future.. even though you were not sure if there was a future, but you were holding on. The chance of debuting was tiny, you knew that, but you chose not to care. You couldn’t sing, couldn’t dance, couldn’t rap, but you told the company that you’d do anything they wanted you to do, and you promised to learn. When you joined the rap show, people underestimated you. They said you were there because you had YG sticker etched on your face, you were there because you got connection, but then you proved that they were hella wrong. You got the money, you got the acknowledgment, you got the pride, you got the house that you dreamt of..

People though it was easy being you, it was sweet and sugar—getting trophy, money, popularity before debuted, but boy, they didn’t know anything that you’ve gone through.

Since I met you, my whole life changed. Instead of having that quote on my mind, I’m happy because now I’m living with the legend himself, witnessing what he’s made of, learning from him everyday… of how to be unbeatable, to be unbroken. You’re the strong person that I always want to become.

Despite your fierce look outside, I was surprised of how twisted you are inside. You are a very humble, kind, caring, and hardworking older brother that I always look up to, and I always respect. I still remember the first day when we met, you are the only person who smiled widely to me and Jinhyeong. You kept making jokes on our way to home for melting the frozen situation, and you kept smiling at me, even though it was a bit scary—hehehe. You might be polite and stupid and kind and extra and everything, but there’s a natural vibe inside you, burned with loads of fire, and it never failed to make me bow down to you no matter how much I joke around with you. I remember silently crying when you scolded me, and when you found out, you apologised to me. You know, I should be the one apologising for making you felt guilty and making you…. apologised. I was crying because I knew I could do better, not because I was scared of you. So please, don’t stop scolding me in the future.. because I’m thankful that you always pointed out my flaws, in order to make me not only a better performer, but also a better person.

I’m proud of you. I’m proud of being your closest friend. I’m proud of being considered as your younger brother. I’m proud!

I’m proud

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter