"Trust"

Midnight

The front door of Hyunseung's house was wide open. The daylight was shining through the open doorway; ray of sunlight stretching towards the inside. Hyunseung made sure he wasn't near the doorway. He was facing it, but a few meters back knowing it was safe and no sunlight was touching the wooden floor. Junhyung stepped in front of Hyunseung and held the latter's hands.

"Hyunseung-hyung, you can do this."

"No... I-I can't..." Hyunseung was taking steps back, body shaking in utter fear. The daylight at the door was bringing back horrible memories--memories which he never wanted to remember ever again. As he took small steps backwards, Junhyung yanked him suddenly into a tight embrace.

"Junhyung-ah--"

"Jang Hyunseung, close your eyes."

"What?"

"I said close your eyes."

Hyunseung tried pulling away from the hug but Junhyung locked him tight with his arms as if protecting him. "Hyunseung-hyung, just do it."

Hyunseung did as told and closed his eyes. Immediately, he was serene. The darkness filled his eyes, and his embrace with Junhyung made him feel secure. Until Junhyung, without warning, opened up his arms and Hyunseung wasn't in an embrace. He could feel his hands being held and his body being jerked forward.

"Junhyung, what are you--"

"Trust me. Just don't open your eyes."

Hyunseung's heart was beating rapidly. He knew that each step he took, he was closer to the front door where the daylight was. However, with his eyes closed and Junhyung guiding him, he felt a bit calm -- before he felt the heat of the sunlight on his skin. His arms were twitching, he wasn't used to the heat. The sunlight was on his skin, he wanted to break away from Junhyung's grasp and run to his room but Junhyung held onto him tightly.

"I'm not letting go, Hyunseung-hyung."

Hyunseung was breathing as if he were a broken record, trying to catch breath but couldn't. The heat on his skin, the sudden brightness even as his eyes were closed.

"No! Umma! Appa! Gajimayo!* Gajimayo!!" Hyunseung was yelling. The memory of years ago. The day his parents left. The day he watched them leave. It was playing back in his head. Tears were falling instantly.

"Open your eyes, Hyunseung-hyung," Junhyung demanded. Hyunseung was losing balance. He fell forward and Junhyung caught him. The latter was still crying, the tears dripping onto Junhyung's clothes.

"Jang Hyunseung... open your eyes... please..."

Hyunseung blinked quite a few times. He was unable to open his eyes completely until after a few blinks. When his vision had cleared, the first thing he saw --- was Junhyung. The light was shining brightly behind Junhyung's body--it's as if he was glowing... and emitting the rays of sunshine behind him. 

Junhyung wiped the tears from Hyunseung's cheeks and caressed his slightly swolen face.

"Junhyung-ah...you're glowing..."

"Hm? Really?" Junhyung looked behind him and realized that the sun was directly behind him which reminded him of the time he first met Hyunseung--when Hyunseung glowed because of the light post and showed Hyunseung's purity.

"Hyunseung-hyung, you're in the daylight"

Hyunseung was too distracted with Junhyung that he didn't even hear the latter speak. He only noticed when Junhyung stated his statement once more and Hyunseung quickly hid and tucked his head in the nook of Junhyung's neck. Junhyung wrapped his arms around Hyunseung's waist.

"It's okay... I'm here... you don't have to be afraid anymore."

"I keep remembering that day, Junhyung-ah... I can't get it out of my head."

Junhyung backed up from the embrace, placed his hands on Hyunseung's cheeks and gazed at his eyes. "Jang Hyunseung, whenever you see the daylight and remember that time when your parents left - close your eyes and think of the ones you love and love you back"

The two shared silence. Hyunseung and Junhyung continued to gaze at each other. Hyunseung became less tense and relaxed. He closed his eyes and smiled. Instead of the memory of his parents, he remembered the good times he had with his sister. The great 3 months he's had with Junhyung.

"I love you," Hyunseung blurted out. Hyunseung swallowed his saliva and covered his mouth with both his hands. He was shocked by his sudden confession. His face turned bright red. He didn't expect to say it so soon. He was panicking and then Junhyung kissed him. Hyunseung started breathing slowly, time standing still.

Junhyung pulled away and smirked, "I love you, too."


That's all it took. That simple reply. That simple smirk. That simple kiss. Hyunseung's phobia... cured. 

★ ★ ★

Doojoon was getting ready  for his part-time job at the cafe when Junhyung came barging in, Hyunseung by his side, hands held and fingers intertwined. Doojoon batted his eyes for quite some time. Was he seeing things correctly? Was that Junhyung with Hyunseung? Hyunseung, the man afraid of daylight... out in the daylight. How--

"What the heck is this, Junhyung?!"

"...Uhh..."

"Are you trying to make Hyunseung-hyung hate you?! He shouldn't be out in the--"

"Doojoon-ah, he's cured."

"--hyung might need meds for his phobia and-- what? Cured? Did I... hear that just now?"

Junhyung smiled, "He's cured. His phobia's gone."

Doojoon tiled his head in confusion. Was that right? CURED? Doojoon looked at Hyunseung closely and poked his cheek. His hand immediately slapped away by Junhyung.

"Yah! What are you doing?!"

"I had to make sure he isn't a robot!"

Junhyung grunted, "...I'm not even gonna retaliate. Doojoon, we have an emergency, we need to use the criminal database now!"

"What? Why?"

Junhyung handed Doojoon the note that was found in Geurim's bedroom.

"February 14 - 1200. 
What's this?"

"It's the midnight man. He's kidnapped Geurim."

"What?!"

★ ★ ★

"Why are you doing this to me?" Geurim shrieked, trying to tug herself out of the ropes tied on her wrists, behind the back of the chair and on her ankles tied to the legs of the seat.

The man paid no attention to her. He put on the cufflinks of his polo shirt and swung his jacket around his shoulders to put his arms inside the sleeves. Geurim observed for the past hours how the man looked, acted and spoke. Geurim tried to get the clue on what the man's name was but he hasn't said anything that could reveal his identity.

That was until the man placed something in his jacket pocket and it fell onto the floor, missing the pocket inside. The man had left the room and Geurim stretched out her neck to see what fell. It was a letter. A letter -- addressed to Lee Joon

★ ★ ★

AUTHOR'S NOTES

Gajimayo (가지마요) - Korean for "Don't go" 

I hope you enjoy. I have 2 more chapters until the end. Comments are always appreciated and welcomed and loved. <3